Honest, Fair & Friendly Critique

This topic is listed in Vocal Help, Tips & Critique. It has been viewed 7,634 times and 342 replies have been made.

IanHarrod

Reply by IanHarrod +2

samiam171

Reply by samiam171GOLD +3

I'm sorry for the delay, guys... I've been battling a migraine most of the day, and I just can't look at a computer screen long enough to complete my critiques. I'll have to get you all after work tomorrow... Again, SO sorry!

IanHarrod

Reply by IanHarrod +2

Hey thats ok. Dont hurt yourself.

samiam171

Hi, guys -- I promise, I haven't forgotten about you... getting to you all as quickly as I can. If only Real Life would go away????
Stef

46Charlie

Reply by 46CharlieGOLD +3

Hey Stef I hope you get to feeling better. I'm in no hurry so whenever you get to it you get to it! Later, Charlie

ROCK-n-RITA

Reply by ROCK-n-RITAGOLD

Take care of your health! Only when you're feeling better, I'd love to hear your critique on this and feel free to rate it.
Thanks for your time.
Reetz
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/c6a6c73ba

grizlijim

Reply by grizlijimGOLD

Hi, when you have time I would like you to critique this song....in a pm if possible, offer any suggestions, tell me who I sound like or what type songs I could sing...this would be most appreciated....Thank you so much...Jim

http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/c0ac0ad3a

samiam171

Hi, guys... I'm finally home for the weekend, and getting started on all your critiques... I appreciate your patience, very much -- things just didn't go as anticipated this week I'm starting work on critiques on Saturday instead of Sunday, since I have quite a number to make it through. If I don't get to you today, I will tomorrow. Again, thanks for all your patience!!!
Stef

samiam171

Sabathiel -
`
First: You asked about improvisations and adding personal flavor to a song... Unfortunately, its not anything that can necessarily be taught. Its more something you have to think about and start trying to incorporate into your performances. For example: You have a really nice, clean, crooner sound - SO you've decided you want to start working on a Rock song. How much of the original artists' tone do you want to emulate, or do you want to maintain your signature sound and try something new? I believe very much in variation in singing: Each verse should be different from the last. How well did the original artist do that? Is there something even MORE interesting you could do to distinguish verses and help emphasize the emotion of the song? These are all the questions I ask myself when I start thinking about how I want to sing a song. Also, when learning a song, I generally only listen to it a few times -- enough to get the melody. Then, I can start building on that melody and adding personal touches without feeling the need to "stick to the original". Improvising these touches will come more easily after you start working with them regularly. Its a matter of building both your sense of confidence, and your sense of what "Works" on a whim.
`
Now, as far as "trills" and "runs"... They're not too different from one another. They're both embellishments added to a melody to achieve interest and a personal touch. A "trill" would be small - countained in one note. A run will be longer, perhaps even a whole phrase that's re-arranged to add interest. Both of these become dangerous because they don't always come out like you expect. For example: Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'" - the way "feelin'" is arranged would be considered a run - it's a little too long to be considered a trill, and its not part of the "melody" of the song, per se. Its something that was likely added by the original artist to add interest to the song. If you were to sing it as part of a plain melody, it would simply be "fee-leeeh-en" versus "Fe-ee-ee-leh-eh-en"... If that makes sense... there are some things that are hard to explain by text!
`
As far as why I think you suffer from clumsiness in this area - I think you hit the notes too hard. Trill and Runs are meant to add something clever and interesting to an already nice melody - they're meant to be light and effortless sounding. They also tie into your question about making a song your own -- If you come across some of these phrasings by the original artist, and you feel they're difficult for you, how could you change them? How could you make them easier for you, and make the song your own at the same time? When starting out in voice lessons, a vocal coach will very rarely allow you to embellish a song -- whether it was in the original or not. You want to have solid melody, and then start embellishing on top of it - its like icing on the cake instead of being part of the cake itself. It makes for more confident and unique vocals.
`
Anyhow, I hope this clarifies things for you -- as I said, there are some things that are difficult for me to TYPE rather than say or sing back to you. Please never hesitate to ask me for clarification
Stef

samiam171

IanHarrod-
`
Hello Great to see you here! I really enjoyed this recording... You excelled with this song. You've got a rich, smooth voice; very versatile, I can imagine. I also enjoyed your harmony -- You hit a home run with this recording!!!
`
I can't really find anything to fault you with on this one... I might like to hear a song with more vocal range, so that I can hear how you approach your high and lower notes. This one sounded like its right in the middle of your range -- very comfortable sounding.
`
The only thing I would have liked to hear on this recording is more variation in the dynamics. This song is a great opportunity to emphasize some of the drama naturally occuring in the song by punching up a couple phrases. Rule of thumb: Each verse should be different from the last. If you approach every song this way, the phrasing and emotion will always be improved.
`
Hope this helps!
Stef

samiam171

46Charlie --
`
Hi, Charlie Its so nice to see you here!!! I loved your recordings... You've got such a soft, beautiful voice. And what fun on "Zip-a-Dee" -- you really put a smile on my face:)
`
Now, I think you're pretty remarkable for a 'shower singer'. You've really got something unique going for you - your voice is soft and pleasant to listen to, but it has depth and a slight rasp, which is very attractive.
`
As for how you could improve? I don't want you to lose the beauty and softness of your voice, but I want you to think about how you could strengthen it. Your pitch is very good, and I can't fault you there, but I'd like to hear just a little more strength in your voice overall - it'll help you hit high and low notes with more confidence, too. I recommend this breathing exercise to most everyone:
`
Lie down on a firm surface - not a bed or couch, but more likely the floor. Locate your diaphragm, at the very top "V" of the ribcage, just under the breast bone. When you breathe in and out, concentrate on sending air to the belly -- you'll feel the diaphragm expand under your hand. Now, take a couple heavy books, and set them on top of the diaphragm. Breathe in as deeply as possible, and lift the books as you breath, then exhale. Do this a few times, then begin singing at a comfortable pitch. Take a deep breath and hold the note as long as you can. Move up and down the scale this way, using the books to work the muscle a little harder. Most people feel results in a couple weeks of doing this - ease of tone, and improvement in their ability to get enough breath.
`
Lastly, I want you to think about the dynamics in your songs. Read the songs aloud to yourself before you sing them. What areas need emphasizing? To emphasize them, add something special - Add or lower volume depending on the situation, or change up the pitch in that phrase to really make it stand out. Don't be afraid to add something new into a song .
`
I really enjoyed your songs very much -- and I hope this helps you, my friend
Stef

samiam171

druss-
`
Hello, my friend Good to listen to you... You sound beautiful on all three of these songs! You've got a lovely, crisp voice. I enjoyed them very much (especially Songbird).
`
As far as improvement goes: I think your pitch is really good for the most part, but I'm hearing a lot of difficulty in the higher notes of "Leaving on your mind". I think its an easy fix, though. The fact that I don't hear those difficulties in other places on all three songs makes me think its a breath support and tone placement issue, perhaps with a little pronunciation problem thrown in.
`
First things first: Keep the mouth nice and open throughout songs. Lift the plallate and lower the tongue, tucked behind the lower teeth. Pretend you have a golf ball in your mouth while you're singing. This will help you obtain the proper breath and keep the tone from going into the nasal passages. I hear a lot of sound going to the nasal passages, and though you have lovely tone, this limits you greatly on the range of tones you can produce. There's only so high and low you can go when you're producing sounding this way. Make sure your posture is relaxed, but straight, and think "high" during higher pitched phrases. You really want to access your headvoice, which will make production of tone much easier. Think of it as singing out of the forehead. You may not get there right away, but once you do, you'll know it. If you feel your pitch is slipping, place one hand on top of your head. It helps improve posture, and helps you "think high".
`
As far as breathing exercises go, I think a simple one will be helpful for you. The old "balloon" method is tried and true. Take a deep breath, filling the belly and accessing the diaphragm. Then, release the breath while almost hissing - make an "SSSSS" sound, and release the breath as slowly as possible, using the diaphragm to easily expell it. Monitor your progress by placing both hands on the stomach and pushing slightly on the belly as the breath is expelled - Like a balloon.
`
Hope this helps you!
Stef

samiam171

Edited reply by samiam171GOLD +3

Alright, folks... taking a break for a bit. I think I'll be able to get the rest of you by the end of the night, though
Stef

IanHarrod

Reply by IanHarrod +2

Thanks for your input Stef!

sabathiel

Edited reply by sabathielGOLD

Sabathiel -
`
First: You asked about improvisations and adding personal flavor to a song... Unfortunately, its not anything that can necessarily be taught. Its more something you have to think about and start trying to incorporate into your performances. For example: You have a really nice, clean, crooner sound - SO you've decided you want to start working on a Rock song. How much of the original artists' tone do you want to emulate, or do you want to maintain your signature sound and try something new? I believe very much in variation in singing: Each verse should be different from the last. How well did the original artist do that? Is there something even MORE interesting you could do to distinguish verses and help emphasize the emotion of the song? These are all the questions I ask myself when I start thinking about how I want to sing a song. Also, when learning a song, I generally only listen to it a few times -- enough to get the melody. Then, I can start building on that melody and adding personal touches without feeling the need to "stick to the original". Improvising these touches will come more easily after you start working with them regularly. Its a matter of building both your sense of confidence, and your sense of what "Works" on a whim.
`
Now, as far as "trills" and "runs"... They're not too different from one another. They're both embellishments added to a melody to achieve interest and a personal touch. A "trill" would be small - countained in one note. A run will be longer, perhaps even a whole phrase that's re-arranged to add interest. Both of these become dangerous because they don't always come out like you expect. For example: Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'" - the way "feelin'" is arranged would be considered a run - it's a little too long to be considered a trill, and its not part of the "melody" of the song, per se. Its something that was likely added by the original artist to add interest to the song. If you were to sing it as part of a plain melody, it would simply be "fee-leeeh-en" versus "Fe-ee-ee-leh-eh-en"... If that makes sense... there are some things that are hard to explain by text!
`
As far as why I think you suffer from clumsiness in this area - I think you hit the notes too hard. Trill and Runs are meant to add something clever and interesting to an already nice melody - they're meant to be light and effortless sounding. They also tie into your question about making a song your own -- If you come across some of these phrasings by the original artist, and you feel they're difficult for you, how could you change them? How could you make them easier for you, and make the song your own at the same time? When starting out in voice lessons, a vocal coach will very rarely allow you to embellish a song -- whether it was in the original or not. You want to have solid melody, and then start embellishing on top of it - its like icing on the cake instead of being part of the cake itself. It makes for more confident and unique vocals.
`
Anyhow, I hope this clarifies things for you -- as I said, there are some things that are difficult for me to TYPE rather than say or sing back to you. Please never hesitate to ask me for clarification
Stef

samiam171

Yeah thanks for the clarification I think I get the gist of what you say about trills and runs. As for adding personal flavour to the song I think I'll stick to the original. Isn't that what karaoke is all about. Apart from that I don't think if I meddle around with the song too much it is going to make the song better. In fact I think it is gonna make it worse than the original composition because the original artist is an established musician who is better musically and has put much more into the song and I am no David Foster.

46Charlie

Reply by 46CharlieGOLD +3

Hi Stef I just wanted to thank you for the kind words and taking time out of your day to listen to this old man. I really appreciate the kind words of encouragement. I could use all the help I can get, and I'm going to work on those points in question thanks for everything. Charlie

Sarge1945

Reply by Sarge1945GOLD +2

Good morning Stef I would first like to thank you for your recent comments on my challenge songs. I value your comments very much. I have recently recorded "Music of the night" from the Opera "The phantom of the Opera" I have a long way to go to sing this song to my satisfaction. This song presented it self with many challenges range, falsetto, varying emotions. found it difficult to master the transision between my normal voice and falsetto, I believe I was also a little weak on vibrato. I would like to read your critique on this song.

samiam171

ravinsixties-
`
Hi, Mike I'm so glad to see you 'round here!!! So, I picked three wonderful songs from you: Amazing Grace, American Trilogy, and Always on my Mind. All three were very well sung -- not rubbish! I think you have a tremedous deep voice, and great control. The quality of your voice is beautiful and unique. Your pitch is also very good.
`
What I would like you to do is open your mouth more. Your words are very muffled in places, and the tone also sounds a little stifled. Opening the mouth and pulling more air in will allow for more sound to pass through you, and crisper, cleaner tone will emerge. Be careful to enunciate words well -- There's nothing worse than pouring a ton of effort and emotion into a song that no one will ever understand! Obviously, on SingSnap we have the option of turning lyrics on to help, but outside of SS, that's not always a possibility
`
Otherwise, I would also encourage you to work on dynamics in your songs. Your tone is so marvelously beautiful, it makes each song a pleasure to listen to, but you could benefit from a little more emphasis on emotional phrasing. Try playing around with useing volume and variation to add interest in key places. You'll like the result - I promise!
`
Again, thank you SO much for coming to visit... Hopefully a delay like this week won't happen again. I got a little overwhelmed
Stef

samiam171

Draymax-
`
Hello, my dear friend I'm so glad you came over to see me!!! I LOVED this recording... One of your very best, I think... Really impressive. Your range of emotion was truly excellent. An engrossing performance.
`
I've been sitting here thinking about some of the difficulties... I was a little puzzled. I hear some struggle in the higher notes, but I don't think its the higher notes themselves. The REALLY high notes are down solid... The pitch on the whole was really good. If it wasn't right when you first hit the note, it was corrected VERY quickly. I think some of your difficulties have more to do with lack of vocal flexibility... The voice is having a hard time assimilating between ranges, so when you got to make a large jump, or go through a really fast phrase, the voice can't keep up and cracks or loses pitch. I've recommended this video before -- I think its an excellent example of an exercise for vocal flexibility. Tell me what you think --
`

`
I'll leave you with that to look at -- like I said, let me know what you think... I'm hoping this helps you
Stef

ravinsixties

Reply by ravinsixtiesGOLD

Hi Stef
Thank you very much, and I truly mean that! I really appreciated your constructive comments on my singing. I was in a small-time group many years ago but lost interest because of too many disagreements. I guess it still shows in the way I sing now in that I never rehearse I just see a song, if I like it I don't practice, I just sing it!
Lack of patience Stef lol I'll certainly try harder but (smiling to myself here!) I don't know whether I'm capable of changing habits of a lifetime! Thank you so much for your very kind patience in listening to three of my recordings, I really appreciated it.
Keep singing with that beautiful voice of yours
Best wishes
Mike

samiam171

heart_songs08-
`
Hi, Camye I'm SO SO glad you came by!!! Hope you're well, my friend... I don't have a negative thing at all to say about this recording... Just sweetness personified You've got such a lovely, soft, voice with a beautiful classical sound.
`
Honestly, the thing that bugs me most about the recording is the mix -- the background music is obscuring your voice during the second half of the song... Its always a tough thing with SS - the mix will be just right at the beginning of the song, but the background gains so much volume, it swallows the singer before the end.
`
Pitch and tone are beautiful -- this is such a nice little song, and it suits you so nicely. The only thing I could have done with more of is dynamics... I'm really hounding people about dynamics lately -- but I'm really feeling their importance. The smallest changes in volume or phrasing can create such a wonderful emotional impact... Rule of thumb - every verse should be different from the last in SOME way. It works every time
`
I really hope this helps you
Stef

samiam171

BlindedByScience-
`
Hello, my friend SO glad to see you! You're sounding wonderful on these songs... thanks for offering me such a broad range to listen to. It really helps! Anyhow, you know I love your voice - you've really got a pleasant tone and strong vocals. Always a pleasure
`
The one consistent problem I noticed - You're having problems popping up to higher notes. The voice is having trouble finding the correct pitch on the way up -- You get there very quickly if it isn't right, but you'll have the occasional little bobble first. A couple things to help improve this - I know it sounds silly, but try to visualize the note before you sing it. Visualizing where you need to sing is like visualizing where you need to throw a football. If you're looking where you want it to go, instead of at the ball, you'll likely make your shot. Second, just make sure you're getting enough breath and plenty of support. Open the mouth a little wider in those areas.
`
Otherwise, I'm going to hound you about dynamics, as I have everyone else. Especially on songs like "Long and Winding Road". Lots of verses, no variation in melody - Make sure each verse is different from the last in SOME way. It adds interest and texture to the song.
`
Hope this helps!
Stef

samiam171

Ok, guys -- I KNOW I'm terribly behind... I got more than twice the normal requests for critiques this week -- including several private requests by PM. I'm getting to you all today, but I need to attend to some RL work. I'll be back in a bit to finish up the last few requests. Thank you all SO much for your patience.. I know its frustrating having to wait an extra week for your critiques.
Thanks,
Stef

BlindedbyScience

Reply by BlindedbyScienceGOLD

Stef,

I really appreciate the input. I think it is a selfless thing you do and the kind and helpful tone you take is very helpful.

It is my goal to improve and I think your advice will help me do so. I hope after some time I can come back and ask you how I'm doing. Thanks again.

-Dave

michael-stevens

Reply by michael-stevensGOLD

hello i would very much appreciate you input on my vocals

http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/c3985ce2e

heart_songs08

Reply by heart_songs08PATRON +2

Stef- Thank you SO much for your gentle critique of my song. I've been so wrapped up with getting Dale into the hospital for his transplant, that I had forgotten about sending it. You're such a doll for sharing your talents and your experience with us at SS. Thank you again, and I'll pay attention to your advice whenever I have a chance to sing again. Love you bunches!
Camye

heart_songs08

Reply by heart_songs08PATRON +2

And YOU take care of yourself!

oceanofpain

Reply by oceanofpain

i just want to thank you for this thread -- reading your suggestions and tips to everyone has been soooo helpful! i have not had any kind of vocal instruction, so this forum has been invaluable -- i've learned so much from your feedback to everyone, as i'm sure everyone else here has as well. your efforts are very much appreciated!!

Deelyght

Reply by DeelyghtPATRON +25

Jesus is christmas! join us! r/b49e9bb8d

Hi Stef,
thank you for your comment on my version of Vincent....I still have that song in my inner circle but have re-done it in a lower key and with video....

would it be possible to tell me which one sounds better?

http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/b56343606

I am singing this song tomorrow at a Good Friday service and would like to know which key would sound better.....

if you don't have time to let me know what you think, I will likely do the way I did it the second time...

thanks so much!

sabathiel

Edited reply by sabathielGOLD

Hi there, here is a song that is hard for me. It took me 6 takes. 3 takes on the first day and 3 takes on the second day. After 3 takes I experience vocal fatigue coz I no longer can sing the chorus without running out of breath or having my vocals without my voice breaking apart (snapping unintentionally to falsetto). As for the dynamics of the song it is a straight out copy of what the original artist did and I think that is what the song asks for. I think doing different dynamics for different verses or choruses for the sake of being different is often forcing onto the song something that the song often does not want or require. Songs are like living things and has a life force of its own demanding what is natural and what sounds good to it. The artists often just channels what the song wants and if it sounds forced it may come across as unnatural. Often the kind of artists that are self indulgent does this mainly to show off their artistic abilities against the spirit of the song. That is why most classic songs are best not to tamper with too much when covering them as the original artist (who often wrote the song) already managed to capture the life force or spirit of the song the best way possible. They have sat down thinking what is best for the song far more longer than any karaoke singer just deciding to sing a song on a whim. Not to mention their superior natural musical instincts in producing the song with the help of great producers. That is why not very often you hear a cover that is better than the original especially if the song is a classic masterpiece. Not many people can do what Whitney Houston did to Dolly Parton's "I Will Always Love You". Anyway enough for my little rant....here is "Rockin' Chair" in the style of the rock band Oasis. Oh yeah a rating would help. Thanks:

buanita79

Reply by buanita79GOLD

buanita79

all this love
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/bc7abeab6

ROCK-n-RITA

Reply by ROCK-n-RITAGOLD

Hey Buddy: You can take my name off this list of 'things to do'...it's all good.
Thanks

samiam171

Hey Buddy: You can take my name off this list of 'things to do'...it's all good.
Thanksreetzo

I'm sorry you feel as though I've forgotten about you: I haven't. I really want to get all my critiques done, but my life isn't allowing it right at this moment. I'm really hoping for this weekend. I've had a concert, a huge work week (inventory in my pharmacy tomorrow), and I've not had a lot of time for SingSnap. I promise I haven't forgotten about you all, and your patience is very appreciated. Sometimes, I forget to leave messages, and sometimes I get tired of making excuses - I know excuses don't mean anything to anyone other than me. Please know that I'll get to you when I'm able, and I apologize deeply.
Stef

grizlijim

Reply by grizlijimGOLD

I know, like you don't have enough on your plate, here is another one tojoin the other one I sent you..thanks...when you have time....Jim

http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/af7675092

Crooner1

Reply by Crooner1GOLD

I would like to take moment to say to all SS members "Merry Christmas" to you all!!!

I would appreciate your comment on how I can improve my sanging! I just sing from the heart and not worry about what's right or wrong! Thank you so much! GBY.

http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/b88f9467a

LilKitty

Reply by LilKittyGOLD

Hey Stef!! I'd like to get some advice on this song...just whenever you can..you can put it here & let me know you did in a pm, or you can put it in a pm...either way!
Thanks Girl!
Must Be Doin' Somethin' Right
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/b06b168bc

anaandreia

Reply by anaandreia

Hi! I'm new here and I'd love to hear some critiques about my singing. Here is a link:
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/bd763dcc4

Thank you very much!

2Jay

Reply by 2Jay

I'd like your critique
I think I did good on this song but I want to improve
YOUR MAN
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/ad7c31268

-SuzAnne-

Reply by -SuzAnne-GOLD

Just wondering if this thread is still open? Haven't seen any critiques lately....I like reading them!

LilKitty

Reply by LilKittyGOLD

Yeah it's still open...she's just SUPER busy! But she'll get around to them in time

norswede

Reply by norswedeGOLD +2

I would love some honest feedback if you have the time

http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/ba75d0e6c

-SuzAnne-

Reply by -SuzAnne-GOLD

Yeah it's still open...she's just SUPER busy! But she'll get around to them in time
LilKitty

great!
Just wondered because I haven't seen any critiques on the thread since April.....I asked her to do mine by pm when I posted mine...so maybe she is doing them all that ways now!

samiam171

Hi, guys - I was just informed that there were new posts on this thread - I'd been told that SS was closing the thread, so thought it was done for, and I haven't had time to write out critiques. I'm probably able to start doing them again, and, since I now know folks are still posting here, I'll come by and do some critiques. There are quite a number of posts, so please be even MORE patient, and I'll be by ASAP. I'm so sorry! REALLY thought this thread had been closed.
Stef

samiam171

LilKitty:
'
What a pretty song! It was new for me, and just lovely! I think you've got a great voice for country. You have the country sound, but you've also got a really solid, pleasant tone, and that's great to have in any genre I think you would find great benefit from focusing your tone. To get a grasp on it, visualize where you want your voice to go when you sing. Up a little or a lot? Down a little or a lot? If you could picture those notes in your head, where would they be in relation to one another? I think you do really well with pitch, but where I hear you struggling is in places where the melody bounces back and forth between different pitches. If you focus your tone, and really push sound TOWARDS something in your head, its easier to find clean openings and keep your pitch during difficult phrases of the song. I think you could probably further help yourself by watching your breathing. Make sure your posture is correct: straight, but not stiff, shoulders slightly back and arms down (not on your lap!). Then, pull your abdominal muscles in towards your back while you sing, and you'll feel a significant difference in how well your diaphragm works. Always keep the mouth open, tongue down and teeth slightly forward. Its difficult if you sing country - but not impossible, and you'll get used to it after awhile
`
I think this was beautiful, and that you have a beautiful voice VERY nicely done!
Stef

samiam171

2Jay:
`
Welcome! Nice to meet you! Really lovely voice you have, there Solid, smooth tone - very nice, indeed! First thing's first - you're a *little* loud in your mix. Trying turning the vocals down just a tidge. Its just loud enough to be distracting.
`
I really don't have much to be a stickler about with your recording. I really love your low notes; they're really beautiful, but you're every bit a competent in a mid to high range. If I had one major complaint, it would be about dynamics. This song doesn't offer you a lot of opportunity to emote, so you kind of have to create the charm where you can. You might look at playing with where to get louder and softer, where to maybe play with the melody a little bit. Never be afraid to change it up - no matter what some people on SingSnap might tell you, there is nothing wrong with making a song your own
`
I really enjoyed this - I think you sing this song very well! Loved it, and thank you for stopping by
Stef

samiam171

norswede -
`
Hello! And welcome to SingSnap I hope you've been enjoying yourself! What a pretty voice you have! Actually, your sound very much reminds me of a friend of mine. I love that you have such pretty lightness, and it sounded beautiful on this song.
`
I think a major area of concern for you would be breath support. Your breathiness in tone is quite pleasant and nice to listen to, but adding some breath support will help with keeping your pitch where you want it to be, and giving your voice versatility and flixibility. Always remember to let your diaphragm help you. Its the most important tool you have a singer. Push two fingers into the "V" where your ribcage meets your breast bone. Breath in deeply, so that your stomach inflates. You'll feel the muscle pushing back against your fingers. If you don't feel this happening while you sing, you're not using your diaphragm enough.
`
To exercise the diaphragm, lie down on a stiff surface ( the floor rather than the bed), and place a couple heavy books on top of that "V" in your ribcage. Breath deeply, allowing the stomach to expand like before. The books will rise and fall. Beathe in deeply, sing a comfortable tone, and sing it as long as you can without the note going sour, slowly deflating the stomach and bringing the books down. Move the tone around, challenge yourself a little. You'll see significant improvement very quickly.
`
I think getting a little more air into your system will really elevate your voice. You're having some pitch issues going up and down the scale, which is usually a result of lack of control. They're not huge flubs, not terribly noticeable when your voice is as pretty as yours is. You'll notice those pitch problems really diminishing, though, once your breathing technique is a little more comfortable.
`
Hope this helps! You really do have a beautiful voice
Stef

norswede

Reply by norswedeGOLD +2

Thank you so much for the advice. I will definitely try those exercises

samiam171

This thread is now back open for business! Please submit your requests for critiques anytime. I will answer them as soon as possible. I'm very sorry that there are some people who's requests weren't answere back in April. I've sent PM's to those people - if you were one of those people, please let me know if you'd like your previous submission critiqued, or a new one. Again, please accept my apologies. There was some confusion, and I thought this thread had been closed. THANK YOU!

norswede

Reply by norswedeGOLD +2

here's one more if u have the time

Only Hope
Mandy Moore
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/watchandlisten/play/b25fe77d0

samiam171

PENDING CRITIQUES:
`
1. NORSWEDE
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/watchandlisten/play/b25fe77d0
`
`
`
`
`
KEEP POSTING! NEXT CRITIQUES WILL BE POSTED NO LATER THAN MIDNIGHT SS TIME SUNDAY, AUGUST 26TH. THANK YOU!