This topic is listed in General Discussion.
It has been viewed 700 times and 13 replies have been made.

socomicefox

Edited post by socomicefoxGOLD

MMSB is it really a bigtime effect. I mean If I sing without MMSB I hear a regular recording well add the MMSB to a recording all it does it smooth things out a bit Adds a bit of compression to not make it sound as if you are in a box singing.

I have talked to many ppl here about effects and ppl keep telling me I sing with effects. Oh no I dont. Lmao. I mean of course there are computer programs that can give real effects.

Does MMSB really add echo? It stands for Make Me Sound Better I mean is it really doing the work? All the work? No its not.

Now myspace karaoke yea indeed they use to have effects where you could change your voice to sounding like a robot or you could sound as if you were in a auditorium. Heck you could sound as if you were a alien or monster.

Now that is effects. I dont know why ppl call MMSB an effect because well it isnt unless there is something I am not hearing.

-Tas-

Reply by -Tas-GOLD +1

Well its like this Chuck..its something like you said that rounds out the edges. If people don't like it, they can opt out of it. I don't give a hoot what they think about me using it or not using it. They are my recordings and I can do with them what I please. Yes and even the listener has the right to opt out of listening if they don't like it.

socomicefox

Edited reply by socomicefoxGOLD

Whats the difference if I add MMSB or not?

What does MMSB really do cause I do not hear a difference in echo or whatever. All I hear is the vocals go a bit smoother softer.

socomicefox

Reply by socomicefoxGOLD

Well grammatea4u. I am speaking on these contests on singsnap that have the rule MMSB only but yet you hear other recordings that sound as if ppl are in a cave singing a song. Does MMSB do that? If it does I never have noticed lol.

Katie-and-Dennis

Reply by Katie-and-DennisGOLD +4

This is from the gold membership overview Chuck...

Voice Effects!
With the use of the magical "Make Me Sound Better" button you can make your recordings sound even better! When you enable this feature we'll level out the volume of your voice using a compression effect and add a little reverb to it as well.

MMSB....Is actually an effect...because it contains reverb...a small amount....but it still there...and yes....when someone is using an ordinary pc mic...the benefits of it are nothing short of brilliant!...

What you have to also remember is...that the sound on each individuals computer is entirely different....so when listening....you may actually be hearing your own computers soundcard effects.....but when I listen...I may hear something different...because of my settings....

^^^^The recorder however does not pick these effects up....so...for example at the moment...my enviroment button is set to parking lot....and my equalizer is set to rock....so anytime I listen to anything on this computer....those effects are added to it........mine is a realtek soundcard....if I turn those off....all I would hear...would be the mmsb........

GlaszEyes

Reply by GlaszEyesGOLD

Are you suffering?

Jason could explain MMSB better than anyone but I'll give it a try. MMSB (Make Me Sound Better) is geared mainly for people who have NO effects at all... in other words, it will add a bit of compression and reverb to your voice (not the music) in place of hardware sound effects. Many people don't own the type of hardware to add these effects. I do have an effects board but I still add MMSB because I like the compression... to me it gives the recording a more pro mix.

-Tas-

Reply by -Tas-GOLD +1

To be honest ever since they put the MMSB in place its kinda silly to say 'no effects' for contests...especially if they allow the the MMSB...which is an effect.

socomicefox

Reply by socomicefoxGOLD

This is from the gold membership overview Chuck...

Voice Effects!
With the use of the magical "Make Me Sound Better" button you can make your recordings sound even better! When you enable this feature we'll level out the volume of your voice using a compression effect and add a little reverb to it as well.

MMSB....Is actually an effect...because it contains reverb...a small amount....but it still there...and yes....when someone is using an ordinary pc mic...the benefits of it are nothing short of brilliant!...

What you have to also remember is...that the sound on each individuals computer is entirely different....so when listening....you may actually be hearing your own computers soundcard effects.....but when I listen...I may hear something different...because of my settings....

^^^^The recorder however does not pick these effects up....so...for example at the moment...my enviroment button is set to parking lot....and my equalizer is set to rock....so anytime I listen to anything on this computer....those effects are added to it........mine is a realtek soundcard....if I turn those off....all I would hear...would be the mmsb........Katie

Hmmm well that is freaking awesome then lmao. I just never noticed it.

socomicefox

Reply by socomicefoxGOLD

I have sung on stage live many times and there is plenty echo/mixing going on even during a live performance. Its good to learn about what MMSB does hmmm thank you all much!

Spitfire64

Reply by Spitfire64

I am beginning to wonder if that isn't happening at this one bar I've been singing at cause for some reason I am suddenly sounding a lot better than I usually do (ha!) Will have to ask my KJ buddy what he's done with that sound system!

socomicefox

Reply by socomicefoxGOLD

I am beginning to wonder if that isn't happening at this one bar I've been singing at cause for some reason I am suddenly sounding a lot better than I usually do (ha!) Will have to ask my KJ buddy what he's done with that sound system!

Spitfire64

hahah There ya go!

Spitfire64

Reply by Spitfire64

Not that I'm complaining or anything...

Or could it also be I was just having one of my better nights singing?

Who knows...

The_Holy_Mole

Reply by The_Holy_MoleGOLD

It certainly helps me out on my awful laptop with a PS2 mic!

Spitfire64

Back when I was a KJ I would add a bit of reverb as a matter of course. No one ever asked me to turn it off although some asked for more but rarely.

Spitfire64

Reply by Spitfire64

It might be that mine's gotten new equipment too...they made a lot of changes at that bar in the four months I was away from there. Good ones though!

Topic Closed
This topic has been closed and will not receive any new replies.