Taste Of Country!

This topic is listed in General Discussion. It has been viewed 3,225 times and 260 replies have been made.

Next >>
NovellaLEVEL 111

Post by NovellaSTAFF +41

by Singing Rainbow

Country Music: music derived from or imitating the folk style of the Southern U.S. or of the Western cowboy especially : popular vocal music characterized by simple harmonies, accompaniment by stringed instruments (such as guitar, fiddle, banjo, and pedal steel), repeated choruses, and often narrative lyrics. (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)

SingSnap has music in every genre which is appreciated and loved by people from every corner of the earth. With that said, it is undeniable that one genre tends to be more popular here than any others. While there are some that have given country music a run for their money and even won a time or two - the majority of our Genre-Themed challenges has Country music winning by landslide!

Why Do People Like Country Music So Much?

For me, as far as I can remember, country music has always been my "go to place", where I could be alone with my feelings and sing about what was going on with me. When you listen to a country song, you can hear someone's heart in every song. Mine like many of yours has been broken many of times, has felt alone, lost and overwhelmed and even scared. Country music is the kind of music that will instantly give you the comfort you need. It can make you laugh or it can make you cry. It can make dance or it can make you sigh.

When I was growing up, the first songs I heard were those of Ms Patsy Cline, Connie Smith, Tammy Wynette , Loretta Lynn and Dolly Parton then came Dottie West and Barbara Mandrell. So many came after these legends, these grand dames of country music have forged a place in country music history that is theirs and theirs alone. Many will try to be like them and many will just honor their name. Others will be legends and will be remembered for decades to come. This is just how country music became important and popular to me. Growing up, We listened to many male country artists too. We could hear Charley Pride, Johnny Cash, Eddy Arnold, Marty Robbins and many others. I guess you could say country music rocked my childhood and it became the music I related to the most. That's what I still love about it today.

It's relatable. It tells a story. Whether it be a happy song, a sad one, one that makes just want to dance and forget everything or the song that will inspire you to be "humble and kind" as sings Tim McGraw. There's a country song for everyone. It's a multi-emotion kind of music that touches the hearts of young and old. It's music from the heart , music of the soul.

Why Do People Relate To Country Music?

Because it's "people music". It's simple. It tells a story. You can listen to it anywhere , the melodies are catchy and some songs are great for parties, gatherings and dances and some are just right for those "quiet moments" or those times where you need to apologize for something you might have done wrong.

Yes, country music also has the best love songs too!! So many have walked down the aisle with many of them.... Almost every experience you have can be found in a song. There may be moments when you feel so completely alone and lost until you hear a sweet country tune on the radio and you suddenly realize - you're not alone. Country music connects us in ways that reach people to their very core.

Even if country music isn't your genre of choice, do you have a country song that means a lot to you? Tell us what it is!

Thanks For Sharing!

ChadCLEVEL 64

Reply by ChadCGOLD

trojan55LEVEL 111

Reply by trojan55PATRON +6

<< OUT TO LUNCH

Yee hawww ..

DaBratttLEVEL 102

Reply by DaBratttGOLD

<3<3

cannotsing24LEVEL 106

Reply by cannotsing24GOLD +6

I love Country music , for me it's like the Artist
songs, refers to me and I get drawn into it
as though their are singing my life song ,
lyrics, instruments all well to fit ,,,,,,,,,,,much more
Some songs make me actually cry when I sing it
some make me wanna get off my chair and do
line dance, love them boots, cowboy hats my favorite
is Conway , Marty , Dolly and Tammy ,,,,,,,,thanks
for letting me share this with you my life is sad to ,,,,,
SingSnap made it better for me here to let it all OUT
Shirley

SingingRainbowLEVEL 106

Reply by SingingRainbowSPECIAL-EVENTS +7

J&D's Country girls @ heart #101 in auditions now!!>>Click here ladies(gold members only!)

Hey Shirley!! I'm sure you have some happy moments girl I know I DO
Country music is multi-emotional hehe!! It's always there for us no matter how we feel!!
((((((Shirley)))))))))) smile hon!! You are alive and bring joy to so many of us!

Jennyk6LEVEL 69

Reply by Jennyk6GOLD

Woohoo!!! School is back in session!!!

The firstcountry song I remember hearing when I met my husband is "Friends in Low Places"
Everytime I hear it I smile!!
And it takes me back 30 years to when I met my wonderful soulmate!!

MaxyWaxyLEVEL 100

Reply by MaxyWaxyGOLD +1

Rest in Peace KellyAnne, you will be missed...

Just love country music...still not huge in the UK but growing steadily

BigFoot52LEVEL 66

Reply by BigFoot52GOLD

I like some country songs.

Me_JoyceLEVEL 109

Reply by Me_JoyceGOLD +4

Be by to return listens, when I get back.

There is a country song, for everyone and every feeling.. How true.. I was raised on it (and Elvis).. ...Very well written....I loved this article, my friend.. Hugs, Joyce

GentleRaiinLEVEL 105

Reply by GentleRaiinGOLD +2

Spending day w/brother in hosp. I will try to catch up later tonite! hugs, :)

I grew up on the old classic country songs my Dad loved to listen too.......I didn't so much, back then. lol But over the years I have come to enjoy more modern country much of the 80's and 90's......and more classic country is creeping into my country likes too.
You can always find a country song to fit your mood or life story for the momemnt.

wokka1LEVEL 99

Reply by wokka1PATRON +8

I like this tune bunches

nightsongsLEVEL 98

Reply by nightsongsGOLD +1

hey!
awesome article.
very well written.

MatkamLEVEL 104

Reply by MatkamGOLD +5

When you can't put your prayers into words, God hears your heart <3

Anna-ReaLEVEL 100

Reply by Anna-ReaPATRON +2

Happy Weekend !!

As with most music....it tells a story.

TrochilidaeLEVEL 106

Reply by TrochilidaeGOLD +7

Great article.

SingerMXLEVEL 83

Reply by SingerMXGOLD

I like country music
but I like oldies better

SingingRainbowLEVEL 106

J&D's Country girls @ heart #101 in auditions now!!>>Click here ladies(gold members only!)

Thank you all so much for sharing your thoughts!! I am so happy you enjoyed my artcle, country music has always been a big part of me and yes Joyce I did have a very special place in my heart for Elvis too Country music is a genre that brings and keeps generations together
Thank you all for your input! My favorite country song of all time to sing is "Help me make it through the night". What's yours? Let us all know!

SW11LEVEL 60

Edited reply by SW11GOLD

Great article!
I think taste in music changes over time, as I grow fonder of country music day by day
Sometime's ill be forced to learn a new tune for contests, but the challenge is always appreciated, also have noticed country records are very popular indeed. Love the story telling in them

SadieBabesLEVEL 111

Reply by SadieBabesGOLD

Me_JoyceLEVEL 109

Reply by Me_JoyceGOLD +4

Be by to return listens, when I get back.

Thank you all so much for sharing your thoughts!! I am so happy you enjoyed my artcle, country music has always been a big part of me and yes Joyce I did have a very special place in my heart for Elvis too Country music is a genre that brings and keeps generations together
Thank you all for your input! My favorite country song of all time to sing is "Help me make it through the night". What's yours? Let us all know!SingingRainbow

My fave Country song! Marty Robbins' "Don't Worry" ...

SingingRainbowLEVEL 106

Hey Joyce!! Love that song too!! Great oldie that one is for sure!

@SW11 : You are right about taste in music changing. Although I really enjoy listening to the "classic country music" probably because that's what I was brought up on , I do love New country as well. I must say though when they take it too far by giving it too much "edge" it kinda turns me off. I love New country that we can also hear that old country sound in.....
I don't think we should ever forget that part of the music.... hopefully the new generation will be inspired by it and bring some of it back.... there's some awesome music from way back then.....

cartermichelleleeLEVEL 38

Reply by cartermichelleleeGOLD

Never been a fan of country music overall but there are certain songs or artists that I enjoy a song or 2 by. This is what is cool about music. There are SO many genres and styles!

-Bev-LEVEL 104

Edited reply by -Bev-SPECIAL-EVENTS +6

The only reason I'm fat is because a tiny body couldn't store all this personality.

Wowww what a great article...I sort of grew up with lots of music...my mother has an eclectic taste she likes Classical, some pop, Jazz and of course Country music too.... my late father loved country music...it was always playing on the radio when I was little girl..when living in the US with my parents...of course Country music...my grandmother loved country and gospel ...when I was staying on their farm both were always being played on the radio. So, I sort of grew up with it you could say as a young child... I do actually love all kinds of music now as an adult...particularly Jazz and show tunes...But I have from time to time sung country...My most favourite Country female artist has to be Crystal Gayle... I have sung a few of her songs.. My favourite is Talking In Your Sleep. My favourite Country Male artist has to be Kenny Rogers...and I have so many of his that I love Lady stands out to me...I so love that song...it speaks to me... I do like some of the New Country songs...although some I am not familiar with... So yes, I do like country...and I always look for a song that tells me a story...that can be thought provoking I can relate to...Some, actually move me to tears...or can make me smile...! Thanks for this Denise...I really enjoyed reading what you had to say on this... Loved it

bubbaglennLEVEL 85

Reply by bubbaglennGOLD

I do love me some country music. Would you expect anything different from someone called Bubba? Not a real big fan of some of the newer stuff. 70's thru early 2000s is more my wheelhouse. I sound like my dad did when I was a teenager listening to Hank Williams Jr and he would say "that's not country"
Lol.

-TinaLEVEL 107

Reply by -TinaSPECIAL-EVENTS

This, WTG D !!!!

SingingRainbowLEVEL 106

Thank you Bev & T love you girls xoxo

0neVoiceLEVEL 104

Edited reply by 0neVoiceGOLD +10

My entry for SUMMERFEST WEEK 3 / HAWAII! [ Had fun! Thank you for da Lovesss :-]

These articles rock my cowboy boots! lol

I don't relate to country music even though I sing it sometimes...
but it's cool, I respect people who do....
I like a tune here and there, but that's about it!
...and uh.....I can play the "spoons" and the banjo when real drunk....

Okay! Let me shut up....I'm surrounded by big country men with guns LMAO

Hey! Anyone for spooning? I mean spoon playing?

Buh Bye then!! LMAO

mystikopalLEVEL 83

Reply by mystikopalGOLD +1

I think country music tells a story that most people can relate to.
~Karen ~

-KillingTime-

Reply by -KillingTime-

Where would Rock be without Country to fall back on ?

MelanieE2128LEVEL 83

Reply by MelanieE2128GOLD

Great article on a topic I do LOVE.

My SS recording studio is largely filled with country music, and the older the better for me. I must have 100 memories or more tied to 100 different country songs. Most are good, or bittersweet at least. I never tire of hearing Johnny Cash and his versatility when he sings with Bono, or the The Highwaymen. Love Merle, George Jones, George Strait, Dwight Yoakum, Conway Twitty, The Statler Brothers...and even Keith Urban.Some of my female country artist favorites include Crystal Gayle, Patsy Cline, Mandy Barnett, Emma Lou Harris, Loretta Lynn and Dolly.

Going to have to check out some country now to record and travel a little further down memory lane...

GlynnisLEVEL 107

Reply by GlynnisGOLD

Remembering KA4P & all SS Angels // Thank You (Who) so much for the fiery trinket (virtual hug)

For Country Western music, I Love the old tyme cowboy songs
(e.g. Carry me back to the Lone Prairie)
and the groups
( e.g. Sons of the Pioneers
Carson Robison's Buckaroos,
Roy Acuff And His Smoky Mountain Boys)

__Angels__LEVEL 109

Reply by __Angels__GOLD +5

forum/topic/bc1afc44

Amazing article
it!!!

alanhack46LEVEL 81

Reply by alanhack46GOLD

To be honest I didn't know too much about Country Music until I joined SingSnap in September 2016.
Since that time I have come to love Country Music and I have recorded many Country songs since joining.
I am so glad that I have "discovered" so many fantastic songs and Artists in the Country genre, and I look forward to singing many more songs in the future
Thank You SingSnap

Bucks_FizzLEVEL 109

Reply by Bucks_FizzGOLD

I don't know many Country songs (it doesn't seem to get played much here in the UK), but a few of my favourites are, Talking in Your Sleep, Stand By Your Man and Here You Come Again. All of these remind me of my childhood and the house I grew up in. Happy memories.

falconess09LEVEL 78

Edited reply by falconess09CHAT-ADMIN +7

forum/topic/b5146c14 READ ABOUT THE GATLINBURG, TENNESSEE MeetUp

I grew up on gospel, bluegrass, and country music. My Grandfather played the electric bass (which my daughter now has and plays), mandolin, and acoustic guitar for a gospel quartet. I have such great memories of singing with the group. I sure do miss him bunches.

This was such a great topic and information provided to the Snappers.

NC is known for its big time musical background especially in the Blue Ridge Mountains (I call them MY mountains).
Scottish settlers to the region brought with them their musical talents and passed them on down through the generations.

I guess the one country song that means a lot to me is "Coat of Many Colors" because:
#1 It is Dolly's song.
#2 It reminds us all that we should be thankful for what we have when so many have so little.
#3 It is song that relays a human emotion.
#4 It tells of the love that a mother has for her daughter.

HelenR5337LEVEL 88

Reply by HelenR5337GOLD

THANK YOU 'ANONYMOUS' FOR GIFT' <3

My older sister was Country when country wasn’t cool…so I grew up on it!
I love traditional country music….too many favorite songs to mention

aqtrcowgirl

Reply by aqtrcowgirlGOLD

Great article Denise
As you know it is my go to music ...grew up loving Tanya Tucker
Some country artist I got better acquainted with when I came to SS and grew to love Tammy Wynette and Conway songs to name a few ..
But I LOVE the new country too ...right now Brett Young is my favorite I LOVE all of the songs of his that I have heard ......and of course Luke Bryan So glad I got to see him a couple years ago ..
Country is down to earth ....back to the basics of life and life experiences!!
I listen to other genres but I always come back to the Country

LadyHeathersingsLEVEL 78

Reply by LadyHeathersingsGOLD +5

Grew up on country music. Actally Marty Robbins was the first thing I ever remember hearing. I still love it to this day.

Magnolia_Blossoms

Reply by Magnolia_BlossomsGOLD +11

O_o <<<>>> o_O

. . This~
Ty for sharing...

0neVoiceLEVEL 104

Reply by 0neVoiceGOLD +10

My entry for SUMMERFEST WEEK 3 / HAWAII! [ Had fun! Thank you for da Lovesss :-]

Sorry folks! I grew up on Motown! Forgot to mention that...
Just sayin...

TadlateLEVEL 42

Reply by Tadlate

I am country all the way. There are several country songs that mean a lot to me

RockyTopGirl52LEVEL 101

Reply by RockyTopGirl52GOLD +6

Great article.

Tinypumpkin

Reply by TinypumpkinGOLD +12

'Lei'-Zy Daze CHALLENGE: Crazy For You

I wasn’t really into country music until I joined SS; but I did listen to Kenny Rogers and Glen Campbell back then.

Now I love country and have sung quite a bit here. I sang country for my 35th wedding anniversary.

wsl9229LEVEL 46

Reply by wsl9229GOLD

by Singing Rainbow

Country Music: music derived from or imitating the folk style of the Southern U.S. or of the Western cowboy especially : popular vocal music characterized by simple harmonies, accompaniment by stringed instruments (such as guitar, fiddle, banjo, and pedal steel), repeated choruses, and often narrative lyrics. (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)

SingSnap has music in every genre which is appreciated and loved by people from every corner of the earth. With that said, it is undeniable that one genre tends to be more popular here than any others. While there are some that have given country music a run for their money and even won a time or two - the majority of our Genre-Themed challenges has Country music winning by landslide!

Why Do People Like Country Music So Much?

For me, as far as I can remember, country music has always been my "go to place", where I could be alone with my feelings and sing about what was going on with me. When you listen to a country song, you can hear someone's heart in every song. Mine like many of yours has been broken many of times, has felt alone, lost and overwhelmed and even scared. Country music is the kind of music that will instantly give you the comfort you need. It can make you laugh or it can make you cry. It can make dance or it can make you sigh.

When I was growing up, the first songs I heard were those of Ms Patsy Cline, Connie Smith, Tammy Wynette , Loretta Lynn and Dolly Parton then came Dottie West and Barbara Mandrell. So many came after these legends, these grand dames of country music have forged a place in country music history that is theirs and theirs alone. Many will try to be like them and many will just honor their name. Others will be legends and will be remembered for decades to come. This is just how country music became important and popular to me. Growing up, We listened to many male country artists too. We could hear Charley Pride, Johnny Cash, Eddy Arnold, Marty Robbins and many others. I guess you could say country music rocked my childhood and it became the music I related to the most. That's what I still love about it today.

It's relatable. It tells a story. Whether it be a happy song, a sad one, one that makes just want to dance and forget everything or the song that will inspire you to be "humble and kind" as sings Tim McGraw. There's a country song for everyone. It's a multi-emotion kind of music that touches the hearts of young and old. It's music from the heart , music of the soul.

Why Do People Relate To Country Music?

Because it's "people music". It's simple. It tells a story. You can listen to it anywhere , the melodies are catchy and some songs are great for parties, gatherings and dances and some are just right for those "quiet moments" or those times where you need to apologize for something you might have done wrong.

Yes, country music also has the best love songs too!! So many have walked down the aisle with many of them.... Almost every experience you have can be found in a song. There may be moments when you feel so completely alone and lost until you hear a sweet country tune on the radio and you suddenly realize - you're not alone. Country music connects us in ways that reach people to their very core.

Even if country music isn't your genre of choice, do you have a country song that means a lot to you? Tell us what it is!

Thanks For Sharing!

We all have favorite Country Songs - My number one is the Old Randy Travis Great -- "Digging up Bones!"

starsearchLEVEL 106

Reply by starsearchGOLD +2

Loving SS!

I like the old country songs about love and family.

Cinnamon1965LEVEL 105

Reply by Cinnamon1965SPECIAL-EVENTS +2

Great article Denise...
I fell in love with Country music late in life... My friends and family listened to other music growing up so I wasn't privy to Country. But my first country artist that I really enjoyed was Reba... Man oh Man I loved her voice and her songs. and everyday I learn more and more being here...

mdaamandrakeLEVEL 89

Reply by mdaamandrake

Down to earth

Terri-anneLEVEL 88

Edited reply by Terri-anneGOLD +3

A Great article & fun to read Denise!

Before I came to SingSnap I hadn't really heard a lot of country music except for a handful of world renowned country songs!

As Country music was the most popular genre sung here in SingSnap, I learnt a lot of songs by listening to my USA and Canadian friends sing them!
I soon grew to love the stories and the sincerity within the songs too!!

The UK music scene has only really turned onto Country music in the last few years but many British people like me, were introduced to a wider range of songs/artists much sooner than that, just because of SingSnap and other internet music & singing sites!

SingingRainbowLEVEL 106

Good morning everyone!! I just wanted to poke my head in and thank you all for your encouragement. It's my first time at writing an article and I'm stoked by your interest!!
It's fun to read what your interests are in country music and who your favorites are. We who love country music all have our reasons but I believe it all comes down to the "message", the story it tells. I hope they will continue writing songs like that for generations to come!
Have a great day everyone and thanks for making me feel proud of what I wrote for all of you. I was happy to share
Denise~

Carol-ALEVEL 105

Reply by Carol-AGOLD +4

I'm still praying for you Hon~

My mother raised us on country music even though I didn't know what the songs were talking about I grew to love every one of them. I never understood her feelings for different songs. Like if we make it through December I had no idea how cold and miserable her December's were until after I heard that song and she said he's telling my story. It's amazing how a singer can relate a song to you and know just exactly what you've been through and how you felt like the song Four Walls when I am missing Ken those four walls just seemed to devour me but then that song comes back on a different one and just lifts me right back up because he's back again. Country music has become a lifestyle to me because I can relate to every one of those songs in one phase of my life or another. And that is why I love country music.

Next >>