The End of Flash Player - What Now?

This topic is listed in Website Problems & Help. It has been viewed 707 times and 11 replies have been made.

AdamGillLEVEL 68

Post by AdamGillGOLD

Hi everyone,

My Chrome Browser intermittently reminds me that support for Flash Player is going to end next year. I expect this is very well known by the techies for SS but I wondered if there is a release date for the next, latest and greatest web UI that we can look forwards to?

Many thanks for an awesome site, staff and service!
Adam

CCC

Reply by CCCGOLD

thanks for posting this Adam -- trying to find out myself too

YankeeBerniceLEVEL 54

Reply by YankeeBerniceGOLD

When I try to "Right-Click" to start the Adobe Flash Plug-In
NOTHING HAPPENS!!

wtf SS?

ragtime108LEVEL 96

Reply by ragtime108GOLD +13

From Novella:

The latest version of Chrome has changed the default behavior to blocked. Here's how you can change that.

1. Open the Settings Menu in Chrome and navigate to Advanced > Privacy & Security > Site Settings > Flash.
2. Change the toggle from Block sites from running Chrome (Recommended) to Ask first.
3 Open a song to record or a recording and click on the recorder/player area. Chrome will now ask if you want to allow or block flash access. Select Allow.

VCBLSLEVEL 18

Reply by VCBLSGOLD

Flash will cease to exist at the end of 2020.Is it safe to assume that SS will embed an alternative?

giftedbreathLEVEL 43

Reply by giftedbreathGOLD

From Novella:

The latest version of Chrome has changed the default behavior to blocked. Here's how you can change that.

1. Open the Settings Menu in Chrome and navigate to Advanced > Privacy & Security > Site Settings > Flash.
2. Change the toggle from Block sites from running Chrome (Recommended) to Ask first.
3 Open a song to record or a recording and click on the recorder/player area. Chrome will now ask if you want to allow or block flash access. Select Allow.ragtime108

I didn't notice this question had already been asked before I posed it myself. But I did want to say that currently what you advise will work but December 2020 it will not to my knowledge work any longer. So what is Singsnap doing to remedy this issue?

skyrisimaLEVEL 72

Reply by skyrisimaGOLD

I'm getting the same notification. The powers that be must be scrambling but, I suppose they have a bit of time, yet, to find an alternative. I truly hope so. This is such a special site! Much love, gang!

NightinGalLEVEL 66

Reply by NightinGalGOLD

I use the Edge browser in Windows 10 and since the last update I have to allow Adobe Flash each time I log on and try to record, there is no longer an 'allow always' option only an 'allow once' choice. It's a little annoying but at least I can still record. My question like in some of the previous posts is 'what happens when Adobe Flash Player bites the dust in 2020 ?' Is there an alternative player we can use?
If I've missed the answer somewhere I apologize but having just renewed my membership for a year I'd really like to know if we will still be able to record after it's gone?
I agree with the previous post, this is a very special site and would miss not being able to sing here anymore!

RichAllenLEVEL 75

Reply by RichAllenPATRON +1

Due to being on Chrome OS, I'm stuck with the chuffing Chrome browser!

DevilsAdvocateLEVEL 8

Edited reply by DevilsAdvocate

I use the Edge browser in Windows 10 and since the last update I have to allow Adobe Flash each time I log on and try to record, there is no longer an 'allow always' option only an 'allow once' choice. It's a little annoying but at least I can still record. My question like in some of the previous posts is 'what happens when Adobe Flash Player bites the dust in 2020 ?' Is there an alternative player we can use?
If I've missed the answer somewhere I apologize but having just renewed my membership for a year I'd really like to know if we will still be able to record after it's gone?
I agree with the previous post, this is a very special site and would miss not being able to sing here anymore!NightinGal

A new website and player is in the works. The link below should answer your questions or concerns.

http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/forum/topic/b1164ba4

AdamGillLEVEL 68

Reply by AdamGillGOLD

I agree with the previous post, this is a very special site and would miss not being able to sing here anymore!NightinGal

A new website and player is in the works. The link below should answer your questions or concerns.

http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/forum/topic/b1164ba4DevilsAdvocate

Hi - thanks for all the info and the obvious amount of hard work being put in - great stuff! I may have missed it but I think this thread only refers to the App for smartphones? Is the website also getting a refresh..? I mean - away from Flash Player...? Thanks!

DevilsAdvocateLEVEL 8

Edited reply by DevilsAdvocate

Just saw this Adam. In blue is reference to the new website currently in development from the link. Regards
Dear SingSnap Community,

In the likely case that you don’t know me, my name is Mandy (@mandyriffic) - I am the Project Manager for our Android, iOS & Web-based projects. Trevor brought me on board with SingSnap 12 months ago to organize and lead our three concurrent development projects and subsequently, all future development. In conjunction with our developers, @novella, @rob, @tony, @mark, @harry & I have been working tirelessly to get these apps ready & out to you. Did you know that in addition to all the amazing customer support that @novella & @rob provide you, they are also both heavily involved in day-to-day development & testing? Allow me to reiterate, I am so proud to be part of a team as dedicated, focused & hard working as ours is.

I understand that the SingSnap community has some questions regarding what we are doing in regards to Adobe no longer supporting Flash, and understandably so - no one can deny it has been a long road for us in development. Along the way we encountered some unusual challenges that - despite successful resolutions - ultimately ended up taking longer to resolve than we had initially anticipated. Developing a new app on its own can be a challenge. Our circumstances necessitated we balance the new development of our two mobile apps while simultaneously planning, building & implementing entirely new architecture for our WebApp platform that preserves the integrity/functionality of our established legacy SingSnap system. At every turn, our first priority was meeting the needs of our Community, whom we love very much.

Our team has been working practically around the clock to finish the apps for our SingSnap Community...and I am beyond excited and proud to FINALLY be able to tell you that VERY soon you will start seeing some changes...

..............1. You can anticipate the introduction of our Android app very soon. How soon? I know you have been given ..................dates in the past, and they have come and gone - let me tell you, it’s a matter of weeks.
..............2. After our Android app is released, we will be releasing our new iOS app.
..............3. After the two mobile apps are released, we will be releasing our revamped SingSnap website.

During this period of transition that we will soon enter, the SingSnap website that you're currently familiar with (we will call this our “Legacy System” going forward) will continue to run in production, as it currently does, with our new apps that we are introducing! Our old/new systems will be able to communicate to each other (while not everything will be bridged between the two systems, we will be syncing: recordings, comments, message board, user profiles).

When all 3 systems are running in production, we will look at implementing our plan to retire our legacy system. Please let me reassure you, we will NOT be retiring our legacy app until all 3 of our new apps are successfully launched and fully functioning in production. I’d like you to also know that future development cycles will be much shorter - you will not be waiting as long for new development as you have this time.

As is with any period of transition or growth, there are bound to be some hiccups along the way. I would like to personally thank you for your patience & understanding while we take this journey together toward something really amazing.

The best is yet to come, friends.

Happy Singing!

Mandy / @mandyriffic