The Healing Power Of Music

This topic is listed in General Discussion. It has been viewed 2,154 times and 181 replies have been made.

Next >>
NovellaLEVEL 111

Post by NovellaSTAFF +28

If anyone is interested in being a site volunteer (Chat Room) Let me know! <3

The Healing Power of Music

We all know that music has the power to lift our spirits and improve our moods, but did you know that music has actual healing properties?

When I first discovered SingSnap, I was at a (physically) very low point in my life. I required multiple surgeries for different reasons. I could have turned to alcohol or drugs, but in SingSnap I found a new outlet: Singing. And I realized that when I sang, I immediately started to feel better. Listening to music has always been able to relax me ever since I can remember, but now there’s evidence that music has actual physical effects on the body including shortening hospital stays and even reducing the side effects of chemotherapy.

In a study done by Harvard University, music has been shown to help improve patients going through invasive procedures such as knee surgery by allowing them to relax more, thus reducing the need for sedatives before surgery and (in the recovery room) reducing the use of painkillers.

Listening to music helps to staunch the nausea and vomiting of those receiving chemotherapy and radiation treatments. The belief stems, in part, from the patient focusing on the music and lyrics, thereby taking attention away from the treatment itself.

Music therapy can help restore lost speech by allowing the right side of the brain (where singing ability originates) to work through the injury (stroke, traumatic brain injury) by singing their thoughts. The melody doesn’t matter - it’s being able to associate the words with a tune.

Music can improve the quality of life in patients with dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. Music seems to be one of the few things that remains late in the disease progression, thereby allowing people to remember times and events associated with a particular song, reduce restlessness and agitation, and help with communication and physical coordination.

In a paper published by Pediatrics, Dr. Joanne Loewy says that music played in the NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) of hospitals allowed babies to sleep better, gain more weight, and recover more easily from painful procedures. There’s also evidence that music also helps to regulate a baby’s heartbeat.

I can personally attest to music helping in my recovery from multiple surgeries several years ago. I was in a huge amount of pain but I didn’t like the “spaced-out” feeling that the narcotic painkillers the doctors had prescribed were giving me. I had a notebook computer and a pair of earbuds and logged onto SingSnap to see if I could relax and maybe sleep a little bit. I found that by singing and listening to songs from other members, not only was I able to somewhat relax, but the amount of painkillers I was receiving was able to be decreased. Was it mind over matter? Perhaps; but I was able to be weaned off the meds sooner and with fewer side effects.

Does music help you to keep going physically (in the gym perhaps)? When you listen to music, do you start tapping your foot or fingers to the beat and you didn’t even realize you were doing it? Maybe music has even saved your life. How has it affected you?

Will music and music therapy take the place of your primary care physician? No, of course not. But incorporating music into your daily regimen can make you stronger, happier, and healthier - and isn’t that what we all want?

Happy Singing!

Sources:

Harvard Health Publishing, Harvard Medical School
Beverly Merz - Healing Through Music

Pediatrics.org - The Effects of Music Therapy on Vital Signs, Feeding, and Sleep in Premature Infants

ChadCLEVEL 63

Reply by ChadCGOLD +1

teg1950LEVEL 106

Reply by teg1950GOLD +1

Music has been a healing factor in my life for as long as I can remember, I have always used it as a way to relax, for dancing for singing and just simply for enjoyment. I often sit for hours listening to cd's from every genre, there is no such thing as bad music....all types of music are enjoyed by all typed of people......to each his own I say, if you like it listen to it>>>>Tommy

DaBratttLEVEL 102

Reply by DaBratttGOLD

weieastLEVEL 100

Reply by weieastGOLD

Oh yes you got that right, from the start of time....

Angelgirl758LEVEL 111

Reply by Angelgirl758GOLD +22

Dr. Singsnap Challenge: r/c568e086d

I know it helps me with my anxiety issues for sure!!!

MatkamLEVEL 104

Reply by MatkamGOLD +3

Most of our Happines Arises from the context of our relationship with others

MissMass72

Reply by MissMass72PATRON +1

Great article and so very true...even wind gently quaking the leaves of a tree, waves breaking and rolling to shore and birds singing sweetly in the morning are nature's music to my ears!!

shortandsweetLEVEL 55

Reply by shortandsweetGOLD

A smile and kind words go a long way :) <3

Yes music, singing definitely helps me! I love to sing and I love and am probably slightly addicted to singsnap... That's a good thing though. I am so glad my mom got me singing on here. Thank you singsnap for helping me out each day!

SingingRainbowLEVEL 106

Reply by SingingRainbowSPECIAL-EVENTS +9

J&D's Country girls @ heart#98 in auditions NOW! Click here ladies!

Oh wow what an interesting article Jodi flagging to come and read when I'm quiet here at home You really had a terrific idea here hon!! xoxo I do know music helps me a lot with my chronic pain

wokka1LEVEL 97

Reply by wokka1PATRON +6

Yes I think its inarguable the good music causes for our souls and physical sides too...

Sunny_KLEVEL 101

Reply by Sunny_KSPECIAL-EVENTS +1

I know when I have a chore to do that takes all I have to complete; day of sanding or painting, music gets me through it. I can turn on spotify, pull up a singer/group I like and off I go. Seems to make time fly by and leaves me with plenty of energy afterwards to get to other tasks.

Awesome article Jodi!

JulesLEVEL 97

Edited reply by JulesGOLD +1

Wonderful article, Jodi and thanks for sharing your story.

I've been lucky enough in life not to need music as a healing power. But I do know that if I had a bad day and it was singing rehearsal that evening, I'd think about not going. But I'd make myself go anyway and I was always glad I did. It always lifted my spirits.

I know that if my life needs it, music is certainly something I will turn to for comfort.

mystikopalLEVEL 81

Reply by mystikopalGOLD +1

Aweome words here..I totally agree. Medicine for the heart , mind and soul. And if you dance ..for the body!
~Karen ~

VitaminDeeLEVEL 99

Edited reply by VitaminDeePATRON +2

Duet Lovers: Join the fun-find a partner-starting next week- a 3 round DUET contest CLICK HERE

What a beautiful article. Thank you

One day I had to take my very sick cat to the vet. She was shaking like a leaf

I knew When we were done at the vet, that I was going to be doing some Sing Snap

We were in a Room just the 2 of us, the cat was In my arms trembling.

Since I was going to be singing later I decided to go ahead and start warming up my voice. This involved low gentle hums

As I carefully worked my way up the scale , my cat calmed down. I was completely astounded. Anytime I have to take her to the vet, I hold her close and humm

Fast forward a few years....
I was hired to photograph newborns

In the training they offered suggestions for calming babies.

As I introduced myself to each mom, I noted the pitch of her speaking voice

When I photographed a fussy baby, I gently hummed in the same pitch as the mom's voice

It was surreal observing the tiny day old baby being soothed with the sound of music

Misty_NiteLEVEL 51

Reply by Misty_NiteGOLD

I am changing my user name from Juanitaknight to Misty Night.

I absolutely believe music can help your health. Music is medicine for your soul!!!

HappyBunnyLEVEL 72

Reply by HappyBunnyCHAT-ADMIN +1

another amazing read about music and the benefits of. it!

DaisyTeaLEVEL 99

Reply by DaisyTea

When I was a little girl and heard certain songs, I wanted to cry. I felt embarrassed.
Later in years, I realized I am a sensitive soul who is artistic, and lo and behold, I became a professional performing artist!

sweetietlkLEVEL 106

Reply by sweetietlkGOLD

-CEZ-

Reply by -CEZ-GOLD

BigFoot52LEVEL 63

Reply by BigFoot52GOLD

Misty245LEVEL 94

Reply by Misty245PATRON +3

GlynnisLEVEL 106

Reply by GlynnisGOLD

Music is like meditation
And the type of music and rythm we chose can vary depending on what can accomodate our current circunstances
whether waiting, driving, or after a stressful day, etc.
Many Doctor's office ( even Dentists ) often have a soft classical music playing to help people relax.
and even lower blood pressure and heart rate.

So many benefits...

KellyAnne4PeaceLEVEL 109

Reply by KellyAnne4PeacePATRON +8

MissMass72

Reply by MissMass72PATRON +1

What a beautiful article. Thank you

One day I had to take my very sick cat to the vet. She was shaking like a leaf

I knew When we were done at the vet, that I was going to be doing some Sing Snap

We were in a Room just the 2 of us, the cat was In my arms trembling.

Since I was going to be singing later I decided to go ahead and start warming up my voice. This involved low gentle hums

As I carefully worked my way up the scale , my cat calmed down. I was completely astounded. Anytime I have to take her to the vet, I hold her close and humm

Fast forward a few years....
I was hired to photograph newborns

In the training they offered suggestions for calming babies.

As I introduced myself to each mom, I noted the pitch of her speaking voice

When I photographed a fussy baby, I gently hummed in the same pitch as the mom's voice

It was surreal observing the tiny day old baby being soothed with the sound of musicVitaminDee

I ditto that Dee about your cat. My beloved kitty died just after Christmas midnight at 1 year 8 mos of age. I performed his comfort care during his last few months with leukemia. He loved music either on my piano or singing on SingSnap...even loved listening to everyone's songs from my phone. In his final days, i just held him wrapped up all snug, while he rested calmy listening to the spa or nature music channels. Music truly is therapy.

trojan55LEVEL 111

Reply by trojan55PATRON +8

#BADGEBUSTER

SILLIESARALEVEL 102

Reply by SILLIESARAGOLD

music is healing. I have an elderly woman that I take care of . She turned 103 on March 19. we sing everyday and listen to her favorites of the big band era

helcrisLEVEL 103

Reply by helcrisPATRON +3

Just what the Doctor Ordered Challenge r/bf7a3e7bd

Music is what keeps me happy singing listening and dancing and when I found SingSnap I was recovering from a car accident it helped me though my pain... now I am so much better so rock on everyone and have fun

MaxyWaxyLEVEL 97

Reply by MaxyWaxyGOLD

Great article, well written
Maxy

MaggieCLEVEL 95

Reply by MaggieCGOLD +3

Loved your article. I totally that music is good medicine. Music always takes me to a wonderful care free place. One of the reasons I joined SingSnap.

GentleRaiinLEVEL 104

Reply by GentleRaiinGOLD +3

REMEMBERING OUR FALLEN VETERANS......HAPPY MEMORIAL WEEKEND TO ALL.....GB, HUGS!

Great article and subject .....I agree with everything you mentioned in it!!

wayne1956LEVEL 88

Reply by wayne1956GOLD

Like Chicken soup for your soul!

RockyTopGirl52LEVEL 101

Reply by RockyTopGirl52GOLD +4

Music is good for the soul!

AVP60685LEVEL 36

Reply by AVP60685GOLD

Music is indeed very much a source of healing, it has helped me many times when I felt suicidal or depressed but it always brought me back to love and support.

Whenever I start to feel overwhelmed I just put on some music and it and instantly changes the mood for me!

Thank you for sharing your story with us!

SmallTownJamesLEVEL 76

Reply by SmallTownJamesGOLD

-TinaLEVEL 106

Reply by -TinaSPECIAL-EVENTS +1

Awesome Article Jodi

VGFan4LifeLEVEL 104

Reply by VGFan4LifeGOLD +1

Will catch up on comments ASAP!!

Great article! Music can definitely be very healing!

SadieBabesLEVEL 111

Reply by SadieBabesGOLD +1

SingingRainbowLEVEL 106

Reply by SingingRainbowSPECIAL-EVENTS +9

J&D's Country girls @ heart#98 in auditions NOW! Click here ladies!

Outstanding article Jodi
I agree wholeheartedly with everything written. Music has been a great help to me throughout my life with many battles with chronic pain and other personal issues. Music has always been there for me. My safe haven, where I find comfort. It does soothe the soul.
Where would we be without it? I believe it would be a very sad world if we didn't have it.
Thanks for sharing your story and this article with us. It's meaningful to lots of people.

falconess09LEVEL 73

Edited reply by falconess09GOLD +17

I agree that music helps to heal a person.
I was my mother's caregiver for the past 5 years.
I would take her monthly to DUKE University Medical Center for checkups, procedures, and follow ups. She had 2 surgeries within 3 years.
Her morale was low and her health was even lower.
She loved listening to me sing along to the tracks on SS.
She even sang with the SS tracks, too.
BUT, oh no, she would not let me record her.
I so wish I had been able to sneakily record her so that I would still have a memory of her voice. I still can remember how she sang, though. She began singing to me when I was a baby.
Anyways, music helped Momma get through the surgeries and all the procedures. When she was on morphine and no one could get her to take her meds or calm her down, I would pop onto SS, select a track of a song that she liked, and then sing it. Instantly, she was satisfied. During the last 3 months of her life, she began improving a bit, but her little body was all tired out from the surgeries and procedures.
Music kept her happy.

Personally music has helped me through several life changing events. Some of those I was not sure I would get through. Back in 2009, I came to SS and entered the chat room. I have friends there to this day. They helped me through a trying time in my life at that time. And they still do. Also, entering contests and challenges keep me young at heart. Singing eases my mind and soul. And, we all know having peace of mind will help us have better health outcomes.

Wonderful article!

Bucks_FizzLEVEL 109

Reply by Bucks_FizzGOLD +2

I find it helps with depression and anxiety.

MikeIIILEVEL 106

Edited reply by MikeIIIGOLD

*Have a great week*RIP, Doris *Pray for Stem Sch, Chabad and Sri Lanka victims*2,039 songs uploaded

A M E N

__Angels__LEVEL 108

Reply by __Angels__GOLD +2

forum/topic/b91e6174?page=9c1c1 need go to the doc , its true ill bavk later hugs to all!!

Bear50LEVEL 94

Reply by Bear50GOLD +1

r/c088126dd Bad day need a Laugh? CLICK THIS*lol* My Redneck Cousin

flags

music is healing to your heart and soul. For me if I can't feel the song deep in my heart and soul then I can't sing that song. When other's here on SS for instance doesn't feel like singing or have had a bad day and feeling sad I bring out my other halves*lol* to brighten their day's and make them laugh with my "Redneck Cousin "RC" from deep in the woods(that I made up) to make you laugh even when I'm not up to singing I still bring "RC" out and if I can touch the lives and hearts and make others laugh then My Heart has done it's job*LOL* and My Redneck Cousin LOVES to songjack my friends and do duets with them and it turns out even more Hilarious*lol*

so don't be surprised if my Redneck Cousin songjacks you sometime*lol*

weieastLEVEL 100

Reply by weieastGOLD

Oh yes it surely does....heals the soul...

Carol-ALEVEL 105

Reply by Carol-AGOLD +3

U.R. ALWAYS & RIGHT NOW , IN MY PRAYERS <3

Oh yes I lost my father my mother and my sister and then went through a divorce when I finally found sing snap... I so agree, I found my sanity and hope here.... There is healing among family... This feels like a family.

Anna-ReaLEVEL 99

Edited reply by Anna-ReaGOLD +3

Happy Friday ! Remembering Memorial Day for those who've fallen and those left behind, Thank you !

I have to have music It's My Drug !

Recently I had to go through an MRI and I'm very claustrophobic so I asked him if they could let me listen to some music and I was able to get through that ordeal without issues.

At night before I go to sleep I load up SingSnap on my phone and a few people that sing here help me fall asleep not to say is their music is boring but it's soothing and calming especially after I've had a long hard day at work it is absolutely Magic

-Alexandrea

Reply by -Alexandrea +1

BCSchmerker2LEVEL 88

Reply by BCSchmerker2

Y'all know about Alfred A. Tomatis D.Med. (FRA), Rauscher and company, and Don G. Campbell (USA) from my Page 2 reply to "Music Therapy!" Award-winning voice coach Roger Love, founder and president of Voiceplace Incorporated (3074 North Lima Street, Burbank, CA 91504-2012 USA), is a major believer in the healing power of music and has a Website dedicated to this cause in The Perfect Voice; he previously touched the subject in his paperback Set Your Voice Free: How to Get the Singing or Speaking Voice You Want (New York, NY, USA: Little, Brown & Company/Hachette Group USA, 1999).

Tinypumpkin

Edited reply by TinypumpkinGOLD +13

DR SINGSNAP CHALLENGE! Why Me LORD!

20 years ago while visiting my father-in-law at the hospital I heard a visitor humming a hymn by the beside of a patient. It sounded very beautiful...very calming and relaxing. The patient was sleeping but she kept at it...obviously calmed by the voice of an angel. I was mesmerized.
~tiny

LaciLEVEL 107

Reply by LaciGOLD +2

Do random listens...you might find some treasures!

Thanks for the article! I do believe in the healing powers of music!

Next >>