Help Hooking up new Mixer and Mic

This topic is listed in Recording Help & Tips. It has been viewed 905 times and 9 replies have been made.

ChefMikeLEVEL 61

Post by ChefMikePATRON

Hi.. I just bought the Shure SM58 and Bheringer x1204usb. I cant seem to get the mic to work. Im probably not hooking it up right. Any help would be appreciated. I hooked the mic into Line 1 of the mixer and hooked the mixer up to the USB of my desktop. Do I need to do anything else? thanks The computer recognizes the USB device under Recording Device as LINE USB AUDIO CODEC.

BCSchmerker2LEVEL 91

Reply by BCSchmerker2

Actually, the Shure® SM58-LC is a 220-ohm model for low-level balanced use, so needs an XLR-F-to-XLR-M cable to go to the Input 1 preamplifier (leftmost rearmost jack on the top, per Behringer.com/Assets/X1204USB_banner.jpg).

Marking in Favorites to track future Replies.

ChefMikeLEVEL 61

Reply by ChefMikePATRON

Hi and thanks for your reply! I already have the Mic installed as you mention. Using an XLR cable into the top left of the mixer which is the MIC 1 input, The mixer is then connected via USB to the PC.. but the PC doesnt recognize the mixer as a microphone.. Under Recording Devices, it shows the mixer as a device called LINE..USB AUDIO CODEC.. I dotn know if there is something else that has to be done to use the mixer/microphone with the computer other than plugging it in.. no drivers were included..

Steve-GLEVEL 91

Reply by Steve-GCHAT-ADMIN +2

Calif-Redneck

Reply by Calif-RedneckPATRON

Hello Mike. I have a new Behringer USB mixer and a few others. You can use that mic with ether 1/4 or XLR cable on your mixer. Your mixer has choice for that on the number 1 and 2 channel. You will just need to turn up the gain if you are using 1/4 plug. The XLR is a better choice. When you run the Singsnap setup it is important to use the drop down menu and choose the USB audio device and not the sound card. Your headphones now plugs into the mixer headphone outlet and not the computer. use headphone knob on mixer to adjust volume so you can hear. Your mixer becomes your new audio device so at each setting always choose it. Doing it this way you can hear your voice without the Mic delay that you would have had with Windows Vista ,Windows 7 and Windows 8 and 8.1 ..With Windows XP this also works but XP it works just by plunging from the mixers RCA outputs to mic input on computer.

Calif-Redneck

I've been testing many different mixers and audio interfaces because I don't like using USB mics. Only the USB mics that have a built in audio device with a place to plug in a headphone will let you listen "latency free" to your vocals. Most of those have volume and gain controls, but no effects......Standard USB mics do not let you listen latency free! .....I personally don't have the best voice in the world so I like to use some effects to smooth my voice out a little and only a mixer will let me do that.

If you have an old mixer that is not USB a Behringer U-control USA222 USB interface can be used to hookup any older or new "analog" mixer you may have to a USB port on your computer. There are many USB interfaces available but so far I've only tested the Behringer and it work fine on all versions of windows!

ChefMikeLEVEL 61

Reply by ChefMikePATRON

Thanks for the replies.. I didnt use any RCA cables or hook anything to the sound card. The mixer is USB and i just hooked that to the PC. My mic then works and I plug my earphones into the computers external speakers to hear the singsnap music.. Is this way ok or is it better to go to the sound card? The only problem currently is since i dont have an adapter to plug headphones into the mixer,so I have to make effect changes etc by recording a song and playing back to hear the effect changes.. Once i get an adapter, I can plug the head phones into mixer I assume to set adjustments the way I want and then record as previous mentioned .. Sound right? I guess im just making sure i dont need anything plugged into my sound card in order to get the best quality use of the mixer/mic.

Calif-Redneck

Yes mike that is fine. once you get the headphone adapter for the mixer you will be able to hear your voice and the music in real time and at the same time! You are correct that you don't need RCA cables. I was just saying on Windows XP you could use them if not wanting to use the USB. Have fun singing bud!

ChefMikeLEVEL 61

Reply by ChefMikePATRON

Ive been recording on the new mike and mixer but there is something that doesnt seem right.. Maybe someone can help. I have a new Shure SM58 mike and Bheringer x1204usb mixer.. But for some reason, i have to sing on top of the microphone to here me.. I have the Main Mixer all teh way up, teh channell all the way up and the Gain all the way up.. With those settings, I should be able to stand 5 feet behind the microhphone.. So my songs are not coming out crisp..the vocals seem muffled and like background vocals.. I have to go right into the mic to get it lound and if I move a few inches away its bad.. Any ideas??

xenomarkLEVEL 88

Reply by xenomarkCHAT-ADMIN +2

i'm assuming that the issue is with the input level of the USB into the PC, and not any of the knobs on the mixer... you'd be able to know if you connected your headphones to the mixer...