American Idol 2011 in Review

This topic is listed in Off Topic - Archive.
It has been viewed 3,369 times and 165 replies have been made.

- Next
Linda-Ca

Post by Linda-Ca

These are my thoughts on the top 13 first performances..
What are yours???

Lauren Alaina: "Any Man of Mine" by Shania Twain Ok performance..never liked this song will be safe

Casey Abrams: "With A Little Help From My Friends" by The Beatles...I think he did an exceptional job, definitely safe

Ashthon Jones: "When You Tell me That You Love Me" by Diana Ross...awful ...bottom three could be going home

Paul McDonald: "Come Pick Me Up" by Ryan Adams...disappointing...bottom three could also be going home

Pia Toscano: "All By Myself" made popular by Celine Dion..Judges love her...she was good...quite safe

James Durbin: "Maybe I'm Amazed" by Paul McCartney..this is the rocker guy..did real well..safe

Haley Reinhart: "Blue" by LeAnn Rimes..why did she pick this song, good voice..she's safe

Jacob Lusk: "I Believe I Can Fly" by R.Kelly...It wasn't my cup of tea, judges love him..he will wear out his sound quickly but he's safe

Thia Megia: "Smile" (Personal Idol is Michael Jackson)..so disappointed in her song choice, she is better than this song and could face the bottom three

Stefano Langone:"Lately" by Stevie Wonder..Not a good song choice for him but he did Ok and will be safe this time

Karen Rodriguez: "I Could Fall In Love" by Selena..I really like this girl, wasn't her best performance she may also find herself in the bottom three..I hope not

Scotty McCreery: "The River" by Garth Brooks..I just love this guy..he probably got the most votes and is definitely safe

Naima Adedapo: "Umbrella" by Rihanna ...Yuck...not good at all, sorry..she may be the one going home..

OldLadySal

Reply by OldLadySal

I have to agree with you all the way, Linda.... good assessments! My favorites so far are Casey, James and Pia. I really like Scotty and I like country music but I'm hoping his ability reaches into other genres, as well.

bbetty

Edited reply by bbettyPATRON

My absolute faves:

Casey
Pia Toscano
Lauren Alaina
Scotty McCreery

==============

In the middle good singing but not favs:

James Durbin
Stefano Langone
Thia Megia
Haley Reinhart
==============

Worst for my personal taste, BY FAR:

Jacob Lusk
Karen Rodriguez
Paul McDonald
Ashthon Jones

OldLadySal

Reply by OldLadySal

Wasn't sad to see Ashthon eliminated tonight. She was off key last night and again tonight. It's going to be fun to see what they do next week. This is the first time in years that I'm really enjoying AI....

socomicefox

Edited reply by socomicefoxGOLD

Yea she wasnt good. They need to get rid of the dude that keeps going to the hospital to '

I just dont feel american idol is american idol anymore..

OldLadySal

Reply by OldLadySal

Why should they get rid of Casey? Because he's sick? He's one of the top three, and he isn't even feeling up to par! Just think how great he's gonna do when he's well again......

This year's AI is different because it isn't the same screaming demographic they've had in the past few years. This year they have singers who can really sing and covers all genres for a change.

Linda-Ca

Reply by Linda-Ca

Bye to Ashthon..best choice to go..

Bob-H

Reply by Bob-HPATRON

I think this is one of the best top 10's they've ever had. Ashton was the weakest. Scotty is a great country singer, but limited in style....just don't know. I would like to see Casey try~!lol He's makes it all look so easy..I don't think Thia has determined what she wants to be...I think at least five or six of this group will have recording contracts. My final three would be Casey, James, and of course, Pia....my fear is that when they have to do songs by genre that some great singers will fail, not because of their talents, but by having to do songs that don't fit them.

bbetty

Reply by bbettyPATRON

I'm enjoying this season better than all the rest. That's just a personal preference of mine of course. But I like the changes.

Randy is pleasant, gives good feedback. Less "dawgs" more "dudes" repetition. lol

Steven is likable, funny, quirky, and a great replacement for Paula's part, although both of them talk in that 'took too much lithium today' language.

Only thing I'd change is Jennifer's fake-a$$ "actress" laugh, drives me nuts, because she gives pretty decent feedback. And if she thumps her hand on the desk while flipping her hair saying "What was that! What WAS that!" one more time, I'm gonna barf.

(Pay attention when she laughs, because 90% of the time she is laughing at her own joke, not something someone else said that was funny.)

bbetty

Reply by bbettyPATRON

Casey is my fav, but I wish he'd break out his bass and plunk a good quirky tune out again.

Pia Toscano is gorgeous and talented, and I am not even holding her beauty against her...lol.

Ashton seemed to be the weakest, but she seemed sweet at least.
Compared to Thea who sings like a songbird, but displays an attitude of a spoiled highschool/local small town theater star.

Spitfire64

Reply by Spitfire64

Paul needs to go next...did NOT enjoy that performance at all.

My favorites to win? James or Pia.

Linda-Ca

Reply by Linda-Ca

I really liked Karen, so sweet but the "Selena wanna be" took her down. Sorry to see her go, she wouldn't have been in the top four anyway. Who's next?

Bob-H

Reply by Bob-HPATRON

They definitely sent the wrong one home this week....I also think Stefano pulled himself up in the ranks a little. I wasn't impressed with Casey's song...but his talent is unmistakable.
Paul has a unique voice...I'd like to hear him do more Rod Stewart Style. James is definitely a rocker, and great at it. Pia can just....stand there and get my vote! LOL

OldLadySal

Reply by OldLadySal

Lots of pitchy singers this week! I think the cold going around among them is leaving its mark. My faves are still Casey, Pia and James. I like Paul and Stefano, too. Other than Pia, I'm not impressed with any of the girls - they're all good singers but I don't see anything outstanding so far.

I'm with Betty - J-Lo's fakiness is beginning to grate!

bbetty

Reply by bbettyPATRON

I'd be interested in Casey's freshman album or catching a live gig of his, even if he doesn't win. And as much as I love Nirvana, I think he sounded dorky singing it all in the name of the "art" of music.

I think Pia is worthy of winning, a marketable package, like I said, I'm not even holding her hot looks against her, or her annoying Miss Teen USA attitude.

I had high hopes for Lauren, but I think she lacks the maturity and sophistication needed, (the bright lights, cameras, and fancy clothes are probably too distracting to her 15 yr old brain). She is so talented, but she performs like she doesn't know it. Plus, her Kelly Pickler dumb blond act put-on is old news, but that is also her immaturity showing.

Stefano is plenty talented too to go far, but he needs to show people another side of himself other than his repeated old-fashioned "Star Search" show, belting last note hip hop style.

Novella

Reply by NovellaSTAFF +29 +59

OMG.

James is the best IMO.

I used to like Lauren but she's driving me nuts lately.

Paul, used to like him but now his voice is driving me mad.

I don't get anyone else. And the country kid? Seriously? What's so stinkin special!? I truly do not get it at all. He has no range, no personality, no style. He's so boring. LMAO!

Just had to vent, sorry.

But yeah, really it's between James & Lauren IMO.

Novella

OH I do like that kid who sang SIMPLY RED last week. But he's not as memorable as the others as I can't even remember his name. Maybe it's Stefano?

Novella

I also don't get the love affair with Pia. She's a dime a dozen IMO>

OldLadySal

Reply by OldLadySal

Are we listening to and watching the same program????!!!!

opti_mystic_521

Reply by opti_mystic_521

Pia has a beautiful voice. I think she and James will be in the top two. Although it is a close race and at this point they all have to keep stepping it up.

OldLadySal

Reply by OldLadySal

That they do, Lenna...... this past week wasn't one of the best for any of them.

Novella

Are we listening to and watching the same program????!!!!OldLadySal

Not sure

Different tastes I suppose =)

Novella

Pia has a beautiful voice. I think she and James will be in the top two. Although it is a close race and at this point they all have to keep stepping it up. opti_mystic_521

She can sing, no doubt. I just don't find her voice has any special quality that makes her stand out or sound original.

I like those grainy style voices with substance and originality. The more unique the better. She CAN sing. I'd love to have her talent, but I'd never buy her CD.

James, I agree. He's got something special and I'm glad he's not squealing every single song anymore =)

opti_mystic_521

Reply by opti_mystic_521

Yes James was not at the top of his game. I do hope he makes it to the finals though. Just so I can hear him sing with Steve Tyler lol

Novella

hahaha Ditto!!! That would be amazing!

opti_mystic_521

Reply by opti_mystic_521

Well Steve promised him. He said don't get so poppy on me lol. So he wants to hear James sing Aeorsmith . And I think he would sing them great!!

Mishamay

Reply by MishamayGOLD

Ooh I'm behind on my AI episodes. So I had to skim through. I have them taping on PVR and I'm back at top 24 still when guys are still singing lol.

But I just wanted to comment that I find this the best Season yet. I love the judges and the talent is amazing. Good riddance to Simon as well.

Mishamay

Reply by MishamayGOLD

I'm enjoying this season better than all the rest. That's just a personal preference of mine of course. But I like the changes.

Randy is pleasant, gives good feedback. Less "dawgs" more "dudes" repetition. lol

Steven is likable, funny, quirky, and a great replacement for Paula's part, although both of them talk in that 'took too much lithium today' language.

Only thing I'd change is Jennifer's fake-a$$ "actress" laugh, drives me nuts, because she gives pretty decent feedback. And if she thumps her hand on the desk while flipping her hair saying "What was that! What WAS that!" one more time, I'm gonna barf.

(Pay attention when she laughs, because 90% of the time she is laughing at her own joke, not something someone else said that was funny.)

bbetty

ahaha...what a biting critique Betty. lmfao

JaceyRae

Reply by JaceyRae

This past week was so disappointing with the performances. I kept getting up and doing different things.
Casey is still my favorite but the screaming is getting to me. lol
James is great and Pia is fantastic.

opti_mystic_521

Reply by opti_mystic_521

I don't get the Casey appeal at all? He screams all the time lol. The judges love him which is so odd to me. I think he should go. That is my opinion. The other male singers are by far better than him.

Novella

I don't get the Casey appeal at all? He screams all the time lol. The judges love him which is so odd to me. I think he should go. That is my opinion. The other male singers are by far better than him. opti_mystic_521

Agreed. It's a mystery to me.

Spitfire64

Reply by Spitfire64

I think this is one of the best top 10's they've ever had. Ashton was the weakest. Scotty is a great country singer, but limited in style....just don't know. I would like to see Casey try~!lol He's makes it all look so easy..I don't think Thia has determined what she wants to be...I think at least five or six of this group will have recording contracts. My final three would be Casey, James, and of course, Pia....my fear is that when they have to do songs by genre that some great singers will fail, not because of their talents, but by having to do songs that don't fit them. Bob-H
I agree...you shouldn't have to do songs that just don't fit your voice and/or personality. It never works. The audience and judges are gonna know it right away if you're not "getting" the song.

And about not knowing who you are...at 15 who the hell DOES know who they are? That is why I am in favor of raising the lower age limit to at LEAST 18...and while we're at it, raise the upper to like 35 or so.

DebPG13

Reply by DebPG13GOLD

This 'who you are' stuff is silly to me....if they can sing a song of any genre great, who cares!

Bob-H

Reply by Bob-HPATRON

In this case 'who you are' refers to a musical style that is comfortable to you, and shows off the strength of whatever talent you possess.

DebPG13

Reply by DebPG13GOLD

In this case 'who you are' refers to a musical style that is comfortable to you, and shows off the strength of whatever talent you possess. Bob-H

True, but I would think the winner would be able to carry off any genre or song like a few have in the past.

OldLadySal

Reply by OldLadySal

Carrie Underwood is a good example of that...^^^

Spitfire64

Reply by Spitfire64

Yes she is. One of my favorites! Kelly Clarkson as well, I think.

OldLadySal

Reply by OldLadySal

Some good Motown music tonight!

My bottom three tonight are little Thia (neither she nor her voice are mature enough), Naima (I thought she was kinda pitchy and overdone), and Scotty (much as I love the cowboy, Motown really wasn't his thing), or Hailey (another one just not quite ready yet).

The more I hear Paul, the more he reminds me of Rod Stewart...and he has a killer grin!

FridayNiteLive

Reply by FridayNiteLiveGOLD

After it's all said and done. Scotty doesn't need to win AI and
he will have the most successful career than any of the other contestants.

DebPG13

Reply by DebPG13GOLD

he will have the most successful career than any of the other contestants.FridayNiteLive

I bet the Country Labels are itching to snatch him up!

He IS really good!!

Novella

For real? I'm a huge country fan and I just cannot understand the draw for Scotty ... it baffles me.

Novella

I'm watching last night's episode now, but so far this Casey kid, though I don't like his voice, did the best. Thia just finished.

Spitfire64

Reply by Spitfire64

James as usual totally rocked it...

Pia is good, maybe TOO good...and she needs to do some more upbeat and fun stuff if she really wants to win this thing

Love Scotty to death but I think he is in serious danger of going home tonight...so are Thia and Lauren.

Not a big Casey fan either, but yeah, great performance.

bbetty

Reply by bbettyPATRON

Last night...

My favorite last night was Lauren. She stepped it up. Plus I happen to really like the song she chose, so that made me prefer it. Still don't care for her Kelly Pickler act though.

Pia, Despite her generic, polished but predictable ballad warbling and dime a dozen talent, I'm not sure why, but I still like her.

Even though Paul has a unique sound, and he's getting better every week, I wasn't a Rod Stuart fan in the 80's, and that colors my opinion, so he doesn't do it for me.

Stefano, well, he is talented, but his performances seem the most generic to me. He didn't choose a song that would elevate his generic sound to a competitive level.

Haley, she doesn't have a clue what to do with her voice. She's got something special, but hasn't done anything to harness it, or to make it "work" for her.

Thia needs to hit a musical theater stage. Plus her sleepy, bland, subtly-haughty "I'm so bored" attitude is so unappealing for a performer that will be a TV star of a reality show...I can't imagine screaming throngs of 13 yr old girls looking up to her, acting like her, buying her albums when she acts so bored, nor does she have any sort of in-your-face Hollywood "discovered" talent put-on glamor.

Jacob, well, I'm probably one of the few people that can't stand his voice, and cringe when he sings, even though he does absolutely have obvious HUGE natural talent. I can't get past his belting Gospel sound, and he is not shy to bask in glory and self-love. It's just a personal preference, I just don't like his voice.

I liked Scotty, but he's out of his league, makes too many contrived "singing with feeling" faces to the audience, and as good as he sings, his range is honestly, tiny. He's memorable all right, and country music is hot, but not enough to get any vote from me.

Casey was my fav, but he's been a letdown. He's either being poorly coached or I'm not sure what, but his uniqueness is getting lost with his drive to stay competitive, and his magic is getting buried. He's a talented musician and vocalist, and he's giving us all "performance" and less musician stuff and less quality singing.

And James, talent aside, it boils down to personal preference, I just am not a fan of the Adam Lambert sound. And I am never going to enjoy his "working the crowd" silly playing to the crowds act he does when he finishes singing. He's the opposite of Thia. Thia acts like she doesn't care about the crowds, and James acts like he's a rock-star politician. Ick.

Sum_Southern_Sugar

Reply by Sum_Southern_Sugar

watched my 1st episode of the season last night.

scotty - terrible at motown, but he's gonna be big in country.

james durbin - owned the stage, but he seems to already have the 'i'm a superstar' attitude.

pia - the best voice, but boring.

Bob-H

Reply by Bob-HPATRON

Still Casey, James,and Pia...but Stefano did a great vocal, just has no stage appearance....and, like many others, I would like to hear Jacob just sing...no screaming, no gospel......just do the song

Sum_Southern_Sugar

Reply by Sum_Southern_Sugar

oh - plus, i like the judges much better now

they tell folks where they maybe didn't do so great, but in a polite manner.

plus they find something positive to say for everyone.

socomicefox

Reply by socomicefoxGOLD

he will have the most successful career than any of the other contestants.FridayNiteLive

He IS really good!!WannaBeLOL

Na dude just does not have it..

OldLadySal

Reply by OldLadySal

He IS really good!!WannaBeLOL

I'll bet he's already getting offers from the Country Music world. GREAT country voice. Not so great mainstream but I'm willing to bet he'll be a Country star....

Novella

James as usual totally rocked it...

Pia is good, maybe TOO good...and she needs to do some more upbeat and fun stuff if she really wants to win this thing

Love Scotty to death but I think he is in serious danger of going home tonight...so are Thia and Lauren.

Not a big Casey fan either, but yeah, great performance.

Spitfire64

I really like James too.

I hope Scotty does go home. Kid has no place on this show. I am curious though, did you think Lauren had a bad night? I kind of liked her performance this week.

Novella

Last night...

My favorite last night was Lauren. She stepped it up. Plus I happen to really like the song she chose, so that made me prefer it. Still don't care for her Kelly Pickler act though.

Pia, Despite her generic, polished but predictable ballad warbling and dime a dozen talent, I'm not sure why, but I still like her.

Even though Paul has a unique sound, and he's getting better every week, I wasn't a Rod Stuart fan in the 80's, and that colors my opinion, so he doesn't do it for me.

Stefano, well, he is talented, but his performances seem the most generic to me. He didn't choose a song that would elevate his generic sound to a competitive level.

Haley, she doesn't have a clue what to do with her voice. She's got something special, but hasn't done anything to harness it, or to make it "work" for her.

Thia needs to hit a musical theater stage. Plus her sleepy, bland, subtly-haughty "I'm so bored" attitude is so unappealing for a performer that will be a TV star of a reality show...I can't imagine screaming throngs of 13 yr old girls looking up to her, acting like her, buying her albums when she acts so bored, nor does she have any sort of in-your-face Hollywood "discovered" talent put-on glamor.

Jacob, well, I'm probably one of the few people that can't stand his voice, and cringe when he sings, even though he does absolutely have obvious HUGE natural talent. I can't get past his belting Gospel sound, and he is not shy to bask in glory and self-love. It's just a personal preference, I just don't like his voice.

I liked Scotty, but he's out of his league, makes too many contrived "singing with feeling" faces to the audience, and as good as he sings, his range is honestly, tiny. He's memorable all right, and country music is hot, but not enough to get any vote from me.

Casey was my fav, but he's been a letdown. He's either being poorly coached or I'm not sure what, but his uniqueness is getting lost with his drive to stay competitive, and his magic is getting buried. He's a talented musician and vocalist, and he's giving us all "performance" and less musician stuff and less quality singing.

And James, talent aside, it boils down to personal preference, I just am not a fan of the Adam Lambert sound. And I am never going to enjoy his "working the crowd" silly playing to the crowds act he does when he finishes singing. He's the opposite of Thia. Thia acts like she doesn't care about the crowds, and James acts like he's a rock-star politician. Ick.

bbetty

This is a perfect example of my thoughts on Naima ... Totally forgettable. lol

But seriously, It seems Steven Tyler loves her but I think I'm missing something because I don't feel her at all.

- Next