Lounge Act

This topic is listed in Singing & Songwriting Tips. It has been viewed 355 times and 11 replies have been made.

keithe3255LEVEL 6

Post by keithe3255

I am retired and have decided to become a "lounge singer," for want of a better term. I have been around karaoke for many years and am not tone deaf. I know that there is a market for solo performers at nursing homes and corporate gigs and family reunions and other such events where free or virtually free entertainment might be welcomed. I am under no delusion about earning a living from this. I am not going to be "discovered."
What I enjoy singing most are ballads and slower songs, many older. This music I think would be appreciated more by older people, which is why I have thought of nursing homes. I have purchased a portable PA system (Beheringer PPA500BT) and some stands and now want to buy a tablet to download songs to. I can bluetooth them to the system or run an aux cord.
I know nothing about such techno stuff. Can anyone on this board help me? I see tablet from $35 to a $zillion. I would think that a dedicated device would not need too many whistles and bells. I would need to access the net to download the songs, and, maybe, use wi-fi to bluetooth to the PA.
My know-it-all-bar owner-brother tells me that no one wants to hear some old fat guy singing karaoke, but I am hopeful that he is wrong. I am old and playing with house money. Why not?
Questions: Are there apps to avoid? Sites to avoid? Tablets to avoid? Are track with backing vocals considered "hokie?" I suspect there is a lot of knowledge on this board. Thanks to any and all who can ehlp me.

ImaChristian2

Reply by ImaChristian2GOLD +2

r/bb94d78a9

If I were you Id avoid that big meanie Brother ya got! LOL!

ImaChristian2

r/bb94d78a9

But before I did that.... LOL

ImaChristian2

r/bb94d78a9

Id pay a group of 40 people to enter his establishment and get seated, every one throwin down a bill, while the group leader asks, 'So we hear
Keithe is your brother, is he playin tonight? ICE WATER, with Lemons Blended all around!" What Keithe isn't playin? We're outta here!"
Next night, same thing. All except the question. And it would be all men, This time its, Hey Buddy! What time do the strippers start? What? No strippers? We are so done!

Next night, Its all their wives. "Wheres our husbands. HMMM?" We aren't leaving Pal! Whats that room over there?"

Enjoy SingSnap! LOL!

Steve-GLEVEL 91

Reply by Steve-GCHAT-ADMIN +5

Backing tracks on Singsnap cannot be used for commercial use and may not be downloaded to any device hard drive. You would have to build your songs from another source. Many can be purchased on line from reputable sites that you can build a list of songs to sing in your venues. If its legal to use them for commercial use I'm not aware.

There are a lot of products out there that you can purchase for hardware but its more of a personal preference than anything else. I would defintely choose a product with some speed and memory, and dedicate that device solely for the music you would store on it.

500 watts of power is more than enough to use in a lounge environment. Most of these Portable PA's now come with some effects for vocals such as he Bheringer, StagePass, Fender Passport etc.

Karaoke is loved all around the world and could probably be used for lounge acts, but there are studio tracks you may consider as well and some give you the flexibility to remove and add instruments etc and tailor it to more of your liking.

Welcome to SingSnap

-Bev-LEVEL 107

Edited reply by -Bev-SPECIAL-EVENTS +5

Life is not a fairytale if you lose your shoe at midnight ..you're drunk!

Steve is right and if you check the Terms of Usage http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/home/terms to which you agreed to when you joined Singsnap... you will find this so..... However, welcome to Singsnap it is nice to meet you!

ConnieGLEVEL 96

Reply by ConnieGGOLD +1

Yay I can scroll :)

Don't see anywhere where he mentions downloading SS tracks...

Steve-GLEVEL 91

Edited reply by Steve-GCHAT-ADMIN +5

Don't see anywhere where he mentions downloading SS tracks...ConnieG

I don't see that either. Nor was it implied

The internet is a vast resource where one can download a lot of stuff for free, or without infringement of copyright laws, backing tracks included. Doing so here "simply" violates the SingSnap ToU, and was just as simply stated without any inference intended.

keithe3255LEVEL 6

Reply by keithe3255

Thanks to all who have responded. No, I hadn't necessarily thought of SS as a source for downloads, but I had not ruled them out either. Thanks for the heads up on policy. I so many sites offering free or very cheap downloads and the song list that I have in my head would have to come from multiple sources. Will the same program play them all? What is the best program to run them on? Can you change tempo and key?

wellfieldLEVEL 68

Reply by wellfieldGOLD

Was looking forward to hear you sing after reading your interesting articles,but alas,you have no public recordings on here.....Campbell

Steve-GLEVEL 91

Edited reply by Steve-GCHAT-ADMIN +5

Thanks to all who have responded. No, I hadn't necessarily thought of SS as a source for downloads, but I had not ruled them out either. Thanks for the heads up on policy. I so many sites offering free or very cheap downloads and the song list that I have in my head would have to come from multiple sources. Will the same program play them all? What is the best program to run them on? Can you change tempo and key?keithe3255

PCDJ is not only a great app for creating a playlist etc. You can cue the songs to auto play if you feel like singng one song after the other, or you can cue another song in side by side player

I like it and use it.. however, I have to say how it works with other computers is unknown to me. For that reason, I can't recommend you download anything... you do so at your own risk.

keithe3255LEVEL 6

Reply by keithe3255

Steve-G:
Thank you for your advice. You seem to know a great about this stuff. Please forgive me if I wear you out. Will PCDJ allow me to download and play songs from multiple sites? Can I adjust the key and the tempo? Can I run this from a tablet?
My portable PA has a built in bluetooth, so I was hoping to pick up a tablet ($100, max) that would be used for nothing but downloading and playing my backing tracks, be they karaoke or not. The karaoke tracks would be most helpful during practice. Even singing karaoke, I try not to look much at the screen. I would think that a 32 GB tablet for such a dedicated use would be more than enough, but I really don't know. For all of the research I have done, there are some things that only experience can teach and I thank you for sharing with me as much of your experience as you will.