Wow! This is what happens when you stop singing for two months!

This topic is listed in Singing & Songwriting Tips. It has been viewed 768 times and 2 replies have been made.

music_junky7LEVEL 42

Post by music_junky7

Okay, I did not record anything on SingSnap or do any vocal workouts for about two months or so because I got busy with another project. As a result, when I decided to return to singing at Christmastime, I put up a few recordings that were, in my opinion, not as good as previous ones. I rarely do the whole New Year's resolution thing, but this year one of my goals is to make some major improvements to my voice. That might sound silly to most people, but I love to sing and I know I can do better.

Today, it really hit home for me when I went back and listened to recordings I'd made last summer, when I was still new to SingSnap. And wow! I think I sang a lot better last summer than I have in my last few recordings.

I took voice lessons as a teenager, but it's been about ten years since I regularly worked with a voice teacher. I have two training programs that I started working through every day this year. But I'm generally lazy, even in this area, and I feel like my vocal ability has suffered due to my lack of consistent practice and training. For those of you out there who are really into singing and keeping your voice in shape, what are some things you do to stay with it?

RaphaelNelsonLEVEL 64

Reply by RaphaelNelson

Yeah, it can happen if you slack off too much. We've all likely experienced it here and there.

Your voice is like any muscle you work on for your body, the more you work on it the stronger it'll be. So the only thing you can do is do what you did to get where you were before.

I slack off from time to time too but will always find myself singing at home or to my girl regardless so I guess I stayed in some practice in that way.

Just work your way back and go even further than that.

I'd love to hear your previous recordings you feel were better than your latest to compare personally though.

You care to link a past and present recording? I'll give you my true thoughts/critiques.

RaphaelNelsonLEVEL 64

Reply by RaphaelNelson

I guess you decided not to return lol