Improved Recorder Released!

This topic is listed in General Discussion. It has been viewed 16,615 times and 254 replies have been made.

CHEROKEE_BEVLEVEL 81

Reply by CHEROKEE_BEVGOLD

CANT WAIT TO TRY..GONNA DO IT NOW...

shonaLEVEL 37

Reply by shonaGOLD

Im going to try it. Cos at the moment my sound and cam are freezing. It might make a difference. Its been like this for a good few weeks now.

Boomerang94LEVEL 3

Reply by Boomerang94

WHOPPEE!!! this is great news, love the new features!

Indy_RosserLEVEL 70

Reply by Indy_RosserGOLD

Im going to try it. Cos at the moment my sound and cam are freezing. It might make a difference. Its been like this for a good few weeks now.shona

I dunno about your sound, but it is a known issue with Adobe Flash (the "platform" that the player and recorder have to use) that video has been "jumpy? for some time! Go to this thread for info, Shona!

It may be you are having different issues.

ShineOnLove

Reply by ShineOnLoveGOLD

Oh yes yes yes I love this....But, no bugs please lol..And, I have had the jumpy video for some time too "INDY_ROSSER". It was ok for halloween though lol... I am looking forward to an outstanding sing...Thank you Novella..You are wonderful dear one..

salemLEVEL 42

Reply by salemGOLD

i am realy impressed with the new recorder.5-stars all the way around not one problem from start to finish.thanks so much--------stacie

babycakes123LEVEL 14

Reply by babycakes123

Thanks for helping us sound better.... This is awesome... I can't wait to try it out.... Cheers and happy singing everyone!!!!

((hugs)))

Terry

Reply by Terry

is glad to see this finally happen...
and also likes the option that was added of being able to view the entire lyrics and even print them out if wanted. That will come in VERY handy when doing a 'make a song into a duet'.

Jami19LEVEL 91

Reply by Jami19GOLD +2

Hot dang, sounds great!

Jami19LEVEL 91

Reply by Jami19GOLD +2

Just hope I donlt sneeze during a duet,lol

petesingerLEVEL 25

Reply by petesingerGOLD

ME AGAIN JUST WANT TO THANK YOU ALL AGAIN I HAVE DONE TWO RECORDINGS WITH THE IMPROVED RECORDER AND THE FEED BACK IS FANTASTIC THANK YOU GUYS,,,,,,PETESINGER

MeMannyLEVEL 40

Reply by MeMannyGOLD

i've been with ss for three years and love, met some great people out there. this is great news for all the ss singers. tks for doing this for us. manny

Marge76LEVEL 24

Reply by Marge76GOLD

OMG this new feature is absolutely amazing! I love it! Thanks very much

blazaLEVEL 36

Reply by blaza

I love it this much. :OD

Terry

Reply by Terry

I love it this much. :OD
blaza
do you EVER sit STILL!

blazaLEVEL 36

Reply by blaza

LMAO. Winnie asks me that all the time..

Terry

Reply by Terry

LMAO. Winnie asks me that all the time.. blaza
doesn't surprise me at all!!! :))

LadyMatikaLEVEL 2

Reply by LadyMatika

I love the new recorder makes me wanna keep on singing all day long and night even if nobody listens to me I don't care I love this new player

singingcat98LEVEL 17

Reply by singingcat98

I have tried it for my first time and WOW!! Can I tell the difference of my old recording and my new. Sounds much better. Thank you, Cathy

BonniegirlLEVEL 14

Reply by Bonniegirl

Hi there; I tried to use the new recorder today, but the video turned out way behind my voice and that never happens on the old one. Just wondering if there is something I am doing wrong or if I can do something to stop that.

I just went back to the old one and it went as smoothly as can be.

Thank you!
bonnie

JasonLEVEL 48

Reply by Jason

Hi there; I tried to use the new recorder today, but the video turned out way behind my voice and that never happens on the old one. Just wondering if there is something I am doing wrong or if I can do something to stop that.

I just went back to the old one and it went as smoothly as can be.

Thank you!
bonnieBonniegirl

Sorry, will add this to the known issues. I'm working on minimizing this problem.

However: this ONLY happens in the preview. Once you save, the video and audio will sync right up.

Bear50LEVEL 85

Reply by Bear50GOLD +5

r/c2bc3a2eb singing with My Friend Dave*DSA3098*Not Gonna Miss You

I tried it last night and did a song*my link,just click on it next to my pic* I noticed I'm having to use that timing button alot tho*lol* cuz my lips don't match the music*LOL* It's cool tho,I like the new feature,I also noticed that listening to others,it doesn't even sound like them..but the new recording feature is COOL...

Bear50LEVEL 85

Reply by Bear50GOLD +5

r/c2bc3a2eb singing with My Friend Dave*DSA3098*Not Gonna Miss You

I feel like I'm spending more time trying to get the timing issues right,and it get's frustrating*lol*

JoeTomNJLEVEL 51

Reply by JoeTomNJGOLD

A new system takes a while to get used to Bear, took me a bit too during testing. Once you get it timed in though, it should be spot on for all your reordings. No more adjusting for every song.

JasonLEVEL 48

Reply by Jason

I tried it last night and did a song*my link,just click on it next to my pic* I noticed I'm having to use that timing button alot tho*lol* cuz my lips don't match the music*LOL* It's cool tho,I like the new feature,I also noticed that listening to others,it doesn't even sound like them..but the new recording feature is COOL...Bear50

Remember, the timing is to get the music and microphone aligned, NOT to align the video and audio. Once you save, that will happen automatically.

I'm wide open to suggestions on how to make this more clear: it seems to be a point of confusion for a lot of people.

Indy_RosserLEVEL 70

Reply by Indy_RosserGOLD

I tried it last night and did a song*my link,just click on it next to my pic* I noticed I'm having to use that timing button alot tho*lol* cuz my lips don't match the music*LOL* It's cool tho,I like the new feature,I also noticed that listening to others,it doesn't even sound like them..but the new recording feature is COOL...Bear50

Remember, the timing is to get the music and microphone aligned, NOT to align the video and audio. Once you save, that will happen automatically.

I'm wide open to suggestions on how to make this more clear: it seems to be a point of confusion for a lot of people.jason

Perhaps you need sub titles, Jason? LOL

Terry

Reply by Terry

A new system takes a while to get used to Bear, took me a bit too during testing. Once you get it timed in though, it should be spot on for all your reordings. No more adjusting for every song.JoeTomNJ
I've still had to adjust on some songs

NovellaLEVEL 108

Reply by NovellaSTAFF +40

Hello SingSnap! Make it a GREAT day!

I wonder if a slight re-design and putting the adjust buttons directly above where the voice/music visual bit is at the bottom would help>

Indy_RosserLEVEL 70

Reply by Indy_RosserGOLD

Me, too, Terry, but in my case I suspect it is because I have rapidly changing IP addresses (octets) as well as wildly fluctuating signals and access puts that change with ridiculously quick intervals and, in any case, in REAL terms and compared to the old one, they are small changes, usually!

JasonLEVEL 48

Reply by Jason

I find that there is usually a two to three step variation on most computers, and perhaps 1 out of 10 recordings, I have to adjust about 5 or more.

That is the delay introduced by Flash that I cannot compensate for in any automatic way, nor can I calculate it.

There is, however, a specific delay that every machine has that stays constant. I have a prototype calculation program working that I'll be introducing to the wizard that makes all sorts of neat beeping sounds, and comes up with a default number to start from. It's a ways out yet, but it's coming.

NovellaLEVEL 108

Reply by NovellaSTAFF +40

Hello SingSnap! Make it a GREAT day!

Indy_RosserLEVEL 70

Reply by Indy_RosserGOLD

<------ is dreaming up all these projects for Jason coz I know he had such fun with this thing that he is missing the stress already!!!!!!!!!!!

Indy_RosserLEVEL 70

Edited reply by Indy_RosserGOLD

I find that there is usually a two to three step variation on most computers, and perhaps 1 out of 10 recordings, I have to adjust about 5 or more.

That is the delay introduced by Flash that I cannot compensate for in any automatic way, nor can I calculate it.

There is, however, a specific delay that every machine has that stays constant. I have a prototype calculation program working that I'll be introducing to the wizard that makes all sorts of neat beeping sounds, and comes up with a default number to start from. It's a ways out yet, but it's coming.jason

I think my issues are more with variations in latency and suchlike, Jason, because sometimes I can go 2 or 3 songs without adjustment if I am in good signal areas and other times I am continually adjusting HOWEVER, the increments of misalignment are relatively small (particularly compared to the old system) and it is no big deal to make adjustments with your wonderful fine and course adjustments buttons. Seriously, I KNOW I do a LOT more recordings than the average bear (thus should be more practised at it), but if I can sneak them to discernible whilst mobile, with practice most should be able to manage it!

CorndollyLEVEL 57

Reply by Corndolly

Ooooh...I've been away from singing for a few days...& I've jus found out 'bout this...I'm gonna giv it a try...MANY THANX TREVOR & ALL STAFF involved in this...ure all such a wonderful team to do things like this for us...THANKU!!!
xxx

fatalistLEVEL 22

Reply by fatalistGOLD

I've been using the system for some time now as one of the 600 and won't ever want to go back to the old system. The sound reproduction is much better, the sync adjustments are really good and I am more able to adjust my lip movements to sound with the fine tune button. Normally just a single or maybe a 2 click to sync and it doesn't alter the music/voice sync. My only negative is that the adjustment button doesn't return to zero on the counter although the sync is zeroed.(if that makes any sense) All in all, a super system.

jerrywillhite

Reply by jerrywillhite

I love it Thanks Trevor & staff.:)

Beki

Edited reply by BekiGOLD

ok I have a weird one here

Today I was recording a song .. it was saved as "private" and went to my recordings .. Before I had a chance to listen to it, I had a PM from a SS friend asking me if I had sung a song about mona lisa .. that she recorded a Dido song a few minutes ago and that when she went to play it back after saving .. it had my webcam picture and my vocals ... but her Dido music ...she recognised it was me because she comes and listens to me lol .. how freaky is that ? we have the recording saved if anyone needs it .. but it definitely got me thinking .. how that would happen ... and also .. raises a slight privacy concern ..

also .. my vocals on my recording sounded like somebody elses' microphone or sound .. it sounds nothin like my mic ...

BCSchmerker2LEVEL 83

Reply by BCSchmerker2

Today I was recording a song .. it was saved as "private" and went to my recordings .. Before I had a chance to listen to it, I had a PM from a SS friend asking me if I had sung a song about mona lisa .. that she recorded a Dido song a few minutes ago and that when she went to play it back after saving .. it had my webcam picture and my vocals ... but her Dido music ...she recognised it was me because she comes and listens to me lol .. how freaky is that ? we have the recording saved if anyone needs it .. but it definitely got me thinking .. how that would happen ... and also .. raises a slight privacy concern ..

also .. my vocals on my recording sounded like somebody elses' microphone or sound .. it sounds nothin like my mic ...Beki

Yikes! Looks as though we may have a MAJOR server bug. Microsoft® IIS should not cross tracks betwixt Recordings on one Server as appears the case the previous Reply.

singingsister57LEVEL 102

Reply by singingsister57GOLD

also .. my vocals on my recording sounded like somebody elses' microphone or sound .. it sounds nothin like my mic ...Beki

Yikes! Looks as though we may have a MAJOR server bug. Microsoft® IIS should not cross tracks betwixt Recordings on one Server as appears the case the previous Reply.BCSchmerker2

OMG! That happened to me a few months ago. Some guy private messaged me and said that he recorded a song, when it came back, it had the song title, and the lyrics, but me singing a completely different song without his vocals at all. We sent it to Novella and she asked the programmers. I think they just said there was a mixer error. hahaha really? Probably too complicated to explain.

singingsister57LEVEL 102

Edited reply by singingsister57GOLD

I've been using the system for some time now as one of the 600 and won't ever want to go back to the old system. The sound reproduction is much better, the sync adjustments are really good and I am more able to adjust my lip movements to sound with the fine tune button. Normally just a single or maybe a 2 click to sync and it doesn't alter the music/voice sync. My only negative is that the adjustment button doesn't return to zero on the counter although the sync is zeroed.(if that makes any sense) All in all, a super system. fatalist

That's because they made it so that it can actually detect the place where your sync most likely will happen and leave that number there for the next song. Example, most of the time my sync is anywhere from -4 to + 4.

singingsister57LEVEL 102

I'm wide open to suggestions on how to make this more clear: it seems to be a point of confusion for a lot of people.jason

Let's see...let me try...Although many people on SignSnap, including myself, love to use their cams, the main purpose of the site is to sing. That can be done with or without a cam. Since the number of people who come here to sing is almost 100%, the top priority for the programmers is to make sure the music and vocals are in sync or can easily be put in sync by the members. They are working to get the preview on cam a little more in sync with the music and vocals, but because NOT 100% of the people use cams, priorities have to be made. Getting the audio and music in sync is the top priority in this area.

Once you get the music and vocals in sync in the preview, you will find that the mixer does a great job of getting the cam in sync most of the time. Yeah, for many of us, it's important to get everything in sync in the preview including the cam before saving it. Just know, as Jason said, they are working on that and the main thing is that it all comes out in the wash...lol I mean the mixer in sync most of the time.

Did that work? lol

JasonLEVEL 48

Reply by Jason

I'll be looking carefully into this to track down the problem. As someone else mentioned, this is a very complicated beast.

The funny thing is, this doesn't have anything to do with the new recorder. The servers we use for mixing had an issue, which can cause this problem. I have put safety nets in place to catch this error and prevent it, but obviously I've missed a scenario.

Thanks for reporting it.

Terry

Reply by Terry

this isn't really recorder related..but I noticed this when the new recorder was first posted...

at the bottom of the recording page there was a clickable selection to see the complete song lyrics, and also to print them. I don't see that now. Is that something that will be reinstated in the future?

JeffreyCLEVEL 1

Reply by JeffreyC

This is not a positive review:::::

Do away with that crappy new recorder and please don't get rid of the old one.

The new one won't sync right and well its just crappy....

I'm using WIN 7 and Linux (64 bit/6 gigs memory) on a very fast machine and the recorder hasn't been syncing correctly. Maybe it does on slower machines but on a faster machine the sync is way off to the point where I have to use the old recorder.

Am I the only one noticing this. The feature seeing your duet partner is kinda neat. Wish it worked better.

I know it's not my internet service or my computer because the older recorder works like a charm. Please keep both available...

Jeff

Electro55LEVEL 38

Reply by Electro55GOLD

Just wanted to say awesome job!! I really enjoy the new version!

RobLEVEL 84

Reply by RobSTAFF +12

At SS HQ for a few weeks while working on the new apps! :)

I'm using WIN 7 and Linux (64 bit/6 gigs memory) on a very fast machine and the recorder hasn't been syncing correctly. Maybe it does on slower machines but on a faster machine the sync is way off to the point where I have to use the old recorder.

Am I the only one noticing this. The feature seeing your duet partner is kinda neat. Wish it worked better.

I know it's not my internet service or my computer because the older recorder works like a charm. Please keep both available...

JeffJeffreyC

This is most likely due to a program running in the background. Some programs, even on a fast PC, can cause momentary lag in processing and it can cause audio dropouts. This results in a song that can not be synced.

This is something that is actually the same for both the original and improved recorder, but some programs may affect one recorder more than the other.

We can help you troubleshoot this issue in support. Just click the Contact Us link at the bottom of any SingSnap page and let us know what's going on.

singingsister57LEVEL 102

Yikes! Looks as though we may have a MAJOR server bug. Microsoft® IIS should not cross tracks betwixt Recordings on one Server as appears the case the previous Reply.BCSchmerker2

Is that what happened to mine? I just assumed I was able to possess someone's recording. The poor guy thought he was channeling me...anything is possible in SingSnap...resistance is fuuuutiiillee!!!

singingsister57LEVEL 102

Edited reply by singingsister57GOLD

JeffJeffreyC

Hey, Jeff. I can appreciate your frustration. I KNOW this will work out for you. These staffers working on this really know what they are doing. Besides, having worked on this Beta team since February and working through many bugs and quirks, even the impatient person that I am would not want to go back to that old recorder if for no other reason than to get rid of those awful traffic lights in the old recorder. They kept skipping the audio around while trying to sync the recording. Felt like I was fighting with those lights and it made it more difficult to sync. They will get all the bugs out.

I think after all these months of testing, if this new recorder was done away with, I might have to find a bridge to jump off of. lol And I'll bet the staff who has been working so hard wouldn't take the chance that jumping off the bridge would do them in. I think they would gather in a group and not just jump, but HURL themselves off the top of a skyscaper. Ok, maybe a bit dramatic. But, even though, there are still quirks and change is hard on everyone, I really believe we will all like this one better.

--Katie--LEVEL 47

Reply by --Katie--GOLD

JeffJeffreyC

I have to tell you....I recorded a song today on a small netbook.....and the sync with regards to the audio...was perfect...I did not even have to adjust anything at all....so I doubt having a fancy fast machine is your problem here....take Rob's advice and seek assistance....it will be worth it....because the sound quality on the new recorder is simply amazing!....

Terry

Reply by Terry

JeffJeffreyC

I have to tell you....I recorded a song today on a small netbook.....and the sync with regards to the audio...was perfect...I did not even have to adjust anything at all....so I doubt having a fancy fast machine is your problem here....take Rob's advice and seek assistance....it will be worth it....because the sound quality on the new recorder is simply amazing!....

Katie

no contest as far as I'm concerned between the old and the new...I get a little 'glitch' now and then, but not nearly as often as I did with the original recorder..I would be one UNHAPPY camper if they took Jeff's suggestion...:)