Introducing the Community Songbook!

This topic is listed in General Discussion. It has been viewed 32,644 times and 731 replies have been made.

<< Prev  
wonkim00

Reply by wonkim00GOLD

Apologize if this has been asked and answered already...

Is there a particular reason why community songbook uploads are not searchable/available from within the Sing (singlist) feature of the site? Is it a technical thing, a legal thing, or maybe just overlooked?

neodrewLEVEL 94

Reply by neodrewGOLD

If you upload songs you risk being prosecuted but I honestly think that's doubtful.Bunnykins

I agree - it is doubtful. I just wish more members understood the policy, and how it applies to them. SingSnap spells it out in no uncertain terms, yet some operate (all across the internet, not just here) as if copyright law couldn't possibly apply to them. And it most definitely does.

Not trying to rain on this parade, guys - have fun with the songbook. Just - be careful

flatduckLEVEL 57

Reply by flatduckGOLD

Is there a particular reason why community songbook uploads are not searchable/available from within the Sing (singlist) feature of the site? Is it a technical thing, a legal thing, or maybe just overlooked?wonkim00

they probably don tthink people are good enough for that list

TDCLEVEL 103

Reply by TDCPATRON

Select an audio file from your computer to upload.
It should be a karaoke version, with no lead vocals. Most MP3, M4A, AAC and WAV files will work.
To view songs others have recorded goto RECORDINGS then click on NEW. All songs uploaded will be in the list - By most recent date - Song Title in alpha order:
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/record/new
To "like"or "rate" a song, there will be a button after you have recorded it that will ask if you liked it. Click that as you continue saving your song.
To sync your lyrics with your song: As you post the lyrics the song will play. Simply press the SPACE BAR as each part of the song progresses. It helps if you already know the song, as you can anticipate when the lyric line is coming up.

singingsister57LEVEL 105

Reply by singingsister57GOLD +2

R.I.P. Charlie Daniels

Is there a particular reason why community songbook uploads are not searchable/available from within the Sing (singlist) feature of the site? Is it a technical thing, a legal thing, or maybe just overlooked?wonkim00

they probably don tthink people are good enough for that listflatduck

Just a thought. I don't know how that works, but I was thinking that people can use that feature to host their own karaoke parties and maybe that would constitute using songs that may be restricted by copyrights in a public setting. I don't know about the laws or how Sing works, but maybe that could be looked at as SS helping to distribute those kinds of songs publically once they are in the library. I'm just throwing out a thought. Please don't take it as the definitely reason why they can't be played in Sing.

singingsister57LEVEL 105

R.I.P. Charlie Daniels

If you upload songs you risk being prosecuted but I honestly think that's doubtful.Bunnykins

I agree - it is doubtful. I just wish more members understood the policy, and how it applies to them. SingSnap spells it out in no uncertain terms, yet some operate (all across the internet, not just here) as if copyright law couldn't possibly apply to them. And it most definitely does.

Not trying to rain on this parade, guys - have fun with the songbook. Just - be carefulneodrew

That's exactly how I feel. I have been spouting off in here about my concerns. That's being perceived by some as me being a sort of know-it-all. I'm not the only one who is. As several have said (paraphrase), "Why can't people just enjoy this great new feature and stop being so negative?"

I DON'T know it all and that's what concerns me. As you said, SS has a policy statement on copyright infringement along with what can happen to a member who does this repeatedly. It's spelled out clearly. Every member who uploads has to be willing to take the risk. I'm not, but I very thankful to those who are. It's really a sacrifice of their time when they could just be singing.

Madleine

Edited reply by MadleineGOLD

Life is a tragedy for those who feel, and a comedy for those who think.

Not trying to rain on this parade, guys - have fun with the songbook. Just - be carefulneodrew

Oh come on, with all respect ! What for a sentence ist that?
Its the same if i would say, ...

"..... sure you can try ro walk ove the water, like Jesus, but dont wonder if you fall into it and drown....."

Steve-GLEVEL 91

Edited reply by Steve-GCHAT-ADMIN +4

Are we allowed to gamble here

No, dang.

Maddie I walk on water often, but I have a great place like SingSnap just below the surface holding me up and helping me to smile

neodrewLEVEL 94

Reply by neodrewGOLD

Oh come on, with all respect ! What for a sentence ist that?
Its the same if i would say, ...

"..... sure you can try ro walk ove the water, like Jesus, but dont wonder if you fall into it and drown....."Madleine

I'll spell out my opinion for you:

Uploading a song file for which you do not own the copyright is technically illegal, though tenuously enforceable.

Singsnap is no different than other sites with upload functions in that the owner of any content's copyright is the party responsible for initiating the take down process.

SingSnap has covered themselves legally with the site's terms of use and the opt-in copyright warning function during upload

Whether anyone on this site will actually be taken to court for uploading is highly doubtful.

Knowing all this and knowing that I am really enjoying the songbook, it's my wish that people be careful in what they do.

Steve-GLEVEL 91

Reply by Steve-GCHAT-ADMIN +4

I'm not familiar with the other sites that can upload songs, but I'm thinking its different in the respect that one is using the whole content of the copy they are uploading and leaving it "as is" and unchanged. It differs here in the respect that you are adding "something new" to the upload and thus are within compliance of 29.21 of the CCA which reads: It gives users the right to use copyrighted works when they create non-commercial user generated content under appropriate circumstances. Those circumstances include creating something new such as a remix, mashup, or new work that combines something new with something old

I'm no copyright geek, and I can't speak on behalf of SS outside of my capacity as a volunteer in my appointed role here. On the threads I'm just another respectful member so pay no mind to my ramblings but that's the way I see the interpretation.. plain as day. This covers you the uploader IMO. Their disclaimer is a reflection of what they need to do to comply with copyright infringement if it happens on the site because people have the ability to download copyrighted material and throw it up anywhere. Common sense here. Why anyone sees it as passing the buck is beyond me. They aren't going to be accountable for your uploads if you are not doing so in the manner they specify and the disclaimer is there so they don't have to police it, but I'm guessing they will enforce it where necessary to stay in compliance... so upload in the manner they request you to.

Im loving the Eagles uploads BTW. Thank you to all those who do.

LucyPearl

Edited reply by LucyPearlGOLD

There are many amazing Acoustic Tracks of famous songs on You Tube from people who just record their Music from home.
All these people ever ask for, if their track is used for a cover, is a credit and a link back to their You Tube Studio.
Is there no way the powers at SS Towers could add a way of inserting such information during the Upload procedure?

It would open up so much more amazing acoustic variations on so many songs.NMC70

Has this question been already answered ( I apologize for posting it again if it has - I couldn't find the reply)? It's my doubt as well. I'm a donor for a site that makes incredible goog quality acoustic versions of most songs - they use the dontations to pay copyrights and all. And the only thing they ask in return for using their tracks is to acknowledge their site (on yotube and googleplay) as the source. I just can't seem to find a way to do so right now. There is no room for inserting this info in the current uploader. Would it be something worth considering? Are there any other legal/technical issues involved? Per?

GlynnisLEVEL 108

Reply by GlynnisGOLD

There are many amazing Acoustic Tracks of famous songs on You Tube from people who just record their Music from home.
All these people ever ask for, if their track is used for a cover, is a credit and a link back to their You Tube Studio.
Is there no way the powers at SS Towers could add a way of inserting such information during the Upload procedure?

It would open up so much more amazing acoustic variations on so many songs.NMC70

Has this question been already answered ( I apologize for posting it again if it has - I couldn't find the reply)? It's my doubt as well. I'm a donor for a site that makes incredible goog quality acoustic versions of most songs - they use the dontations to pay copyrights and all. And the only thing they ask in return for using their tracks is to acknowledge their site (on yotube and googleplay) as the source. I just can't seem to find a way to do so right now. There is no room for inserting this info in the current uploader. Would it be something worth considering? Are there any other legal/technical issues involved? Per?LucyPearl

Can you put the credits and link back after the lyrics like SoundChoice (etc) does?
Leave some extra lines at the end of the lyric text in order to include the attribution information?
It will show up in each recording of that song.
Would that work?

RaphaelNelsonLEVEL 64

Edited reply by RaphaelNelson

I didn't fully read through this topic yet but I love that SS has this now. Very wise choice.

I wanted to ask any of you talented people jere in the know if you could add, J Cole's - Note to Self as a song here as I love that song and would love to sing it.

RaphaelNelsonLEVEL 64

Reply by RaphaelNelson

Can anyone upload Kanye West - Ultralight Beam? Please?

neodrewLEVEL 94

Reply by neodrewGOLD

I'm not familiar with the other sites that can upload songs, but I'm thinking its different in the respect that one is using the whole content of the copy they are uploading and leaving it "as is" and unchanged. It differs here in the respect that you are adding "something new" to the upload and thus are within compliance of 29.21 of the CCA which reads: It gives users the right to use copyrighted works when they create non-commercial user generated content under appropriate circumstances. Those circumstances include creating something new such as a remix, mashup, or new work that combines something new with something old

I'm no copyright geek, and I can't speak on behalf of SS outside of my capacity as a volunteer in my appointed role here. On the threads I'm just another respectful member so pay no mind to my ramblings but that's the way I see the interpretation.. plain as day. This covers you the uploader IMO. Their disclaimer is a reflection of what they need to do to comply with copyright infringement if it happens on the site because people have the ability to download copyrighted material and throw it up anywhere. Common sense here. Why anyone sees it as passing the buck is beyond me. They aren't going to be accountable for your uploads if you are not doing so in the manner they specify and the disclaimer is there so they don't have to police it, but I'm guessing they will enforce it where necessary to stay in compliance... so upload in the manner they request you to.

Im loving the Eagles uploads BTW. Thank you to all those who do.Steve-G

Thanks for pointing out this information, Steve. And, I do see that the new Canadian copyright information does seem to provide legal cover under fair use as defined within the Canadian system. My question is - does this cover a member who is a United States citizen? I'm not convinced that it does...

Steve-GLEVEL 91

Edited reply by Steve-GCHAT-ADMIN +4

I don't have the answer for that Drew.. being that it only mentions the Canadian Copyright Act. I'm not sure how it would affect others outside Canada etc. Maybe because SS is Canadian based it might hold some weight, but I really don't have a clue there. I'm not the one who can answer those questions with any kind of certainty or authority.

MarkELEVEL 75

Reply by MarkEPATRON

I'm having WAY too much fun with the Community Songbook, but I do have a question:

I've noticed that the CS songs have not been included in the daily "Featured" list.....can they be included?

Thanks

Mark

Steve-GLEVEL 91

Reply by Steve-GCHAT-ADMIN +4

I'm having WAY too much fun with the Community Songbook, but I do have a question:

I've noticed that the CS songs have not been included in the daily "Featured" list.....can they be included?

Thanks

MarkMarkE

Rob answered this question previously in the thread. Click this link
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/forum/topic/b314d292?page=a31de#reply_aa9ac8144

singingsister57LEVEL 105

R.I.P. Charlie Daniels

Can anyone upload Kanye West - Ultralight Beam? Please? RaphaelNelson

Hi Raphael. They are taking song requests here...

http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/forum/topic/b7182f72

singingsister57LEVEL 105

R.I.P. Charlie Daniels

Im loving the Eagles uploads BTW. Thank you to all those who do.Steve-G

Now this makes so much more sense about the legality if this is true, however, I wonder about not just the U.S., but other countries, as Drew has said. I understand you don't know the answers, Steve. I'm just saying that what you have touched on does make sense.

MarkELEVEL 75

Reply by MarkEPATRON

Thanks

MarkMarkE

Rob answered this question previously in the thread. Click this link
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/forum/topic/b314d292?page=a31de#reply_aa9ac8144Steve-G

Thanks, Steve!

RaphaelNelsonLEVEL 64

Reply by RaphaelNelson

Can anyone upload Kanye West - Ultralight Beam? Please? RaphaelNelson

Hi Raphael. They are taking song requests here...

http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/forum/topic/b7182f72singingsister57

Thanks, Julie. Found it the other night.

peaceloveerin87LEVEL 41

Reply by peaceloveerin87

Ok, how do we erase a lyric line? Every time I click the X next to it, the lyric is still there.

LucyPearl

Edited reply by LucyPearlGOLD

Ok, how do we erase a lyric line? Every time I click the X next to it, the lyric is still there.peaceloveerin87

It happened to me, too . What I did was click on 'edit' and just add a dot (.) since we cannot erase the line or leave a 'blank space'.

Raven331LEVEL 87

Reply by Raven331GOLD

Where do you get your audio tracks?

Per

Reply by Per

Ok, how do we erase a lyric line? Every time I click the X next to it, the lyric is still there.peaceloveerin87

It happened to me, too . What I did was click on 'edit' and just add a dot (.) since we cannot erase the line or leave a 'blank space'.LucyPearl

Can't be done at the moment unfortunately. When you click the "X" it's the timing info for the line you are deleting, not the text.

starsearchLEVEL 107

Reply by starsearchGOLD +9

love this

jazztrumpet

Reply by jazztrumpetGOLD

Does anybody know if we can share CDG's to this? I have purchased a lot of CDG's in the past, but wonder if it is only for tracks purchased online, of which I have NONE.

TDCLEVEL 103

Reply by TDCPATRON

Can you save the tracks to your computer in Mp3 format? I would think if you have purchased the CD's you could post up the backing tracks. There has been much debate over copyrights...some say if purchased by you, that should be enough.

NazzoLEVEL 103

Edited reply by NazzoGOLD

Listen To Me! Somebody wants to help you. Somebody seems to care. That's how the song goes anyway :)

Does anybody know if we can share CDG's to this? I have purchased a lot of CDG's in the past, but wonder if it is only for tracks purchased online, of which I have NONE. jazztrumpet

I can't imagine why not, especially since you've paid for the CDG's as I did back in 1998/99 ... wow so long ago & they weren't cheap either.

SingSnapSupportLEVEL 65

Edited reply by SingSnapSupportSTAFF

Thanks for all the great feedback!

We are closing this topic since it will no longer be monitored.

If you have any questions or need help please message SingSnapSupport for assistance.

<< Prev