Singing high notes

This topic is listed in Singing & Songwriting Tips. It has been viewed 2,542 times and 119 replies have been made.

<< Prev  
Sally_SalindraLEVEL 85

Edited reply by Sally_SalindraGOLD

my voice never broke at pubertysPIRIToFmYSTERY

Sorry to hear that, and to most ears it sounds like a falsetto, because I can tell it's from a grown man, not from a child. And way far from countertenor opera singers' vocals.JPick

I'm a natural castrato* but bill myself as a high tenor or countertenor. I'm mostly 'rock' but sometimes challenge other genres; country, pop, folk, etc. Below is a 'show' tune I recently did on my YouTube channel ;D

A castrato (Italian, plural: castrati) is a type of classical male singing voice equivalent to that of a soprano, mezzo-soprano, or contralto. The voice is produced by castration of the singer before puberty, or it occurs in one who, due to an endocrinological condition, never reaches sexual maturity. | http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castrato

sPIRIToFmYSTERY

Bro ima keep it real with you. You gotta go on the voice dude!!! This is amazing. Sounded like I was listening to a old grandma sing this song not meant to be negative man just telling you how I hear it but it was a great sing vocally! You have a unique voice 100% I flagged you. My opinion dude solid sing. And with your voice is you still gotta be careful on those high notes. During your sing of Somewhere Over The Rainbow I did hear you struggle on some high notes. We all do man... But you gotta be careful singing to high/low or else you can ruin your voice. Practice your breathing when singing and learn how to control your breathing while singing and your voice will be even more better. With your voice its different like with me if I sing to high I strain. If you yourself with your voice you have sing to high/low you strain. You have a great range in your vocals but you still can go over your range and at the same time you also strain if you sing to low with the way your voice is. So if I was you find how low your voice can go and how high it can go and get used to that feeling once you get used to it you know that is your max vocal range and it will only grow from there if you use it correctly and grow your voice correctly.

Not even jk with you bro. You have a solid voice. A unique gift that if found how to use correctly you will be absolutely amazing. I honestly would get a vocal coach in your situation and I would work with them because they can help you with your unique voice on how to use that voice and unlock things about your voice that you didnt know you could do. This is a voice that once you learn how to control can get into a recording studio. Good luck.socomicefox

I actually do sing proper for my high tenor voice, but perpetual allergies here at my allergy den constantly cripple my efforts I sing much better at karaoke clubs, as no serious allergies there. I've also had much past costly voice training but all was a waste of time and money, plus my tight budget no longer allows such luxury. Also, vocal exercises don't work for me as I just strain up and down the ladder plus they bore me! And I once did a karaoke set at a local studio place, but his foam vocal booth was allergy hell, which destroyed all 11 songs, plus a costly venture! I only did raw tracks as mixing too costly game. Studios don't come cheap at $150+ per hour So I do my own karaoke thing at home using the cheap/free stuff shown in latter part of video; Voice Cube, Steinberg studio mic, free NCH studio program. Also, I'm using Dell built-in audio software which is limited in quality, and at present I can't afford better. We work with the tools we have?

Sally_SalindraLEVEL 85

Reply by Sally_SalindraGOLD

Below is a recent home studio creation from my ME 1 playlist. Tough song and artist for sure but I gave it my best rocker shot

Tinypumpkin

Reply by TinypumpkinGOLD

Let me be your HERO...here's A Living Prayer.

I'm a natural castrato* but bill myself as a high tenor or countertenor. I'm mostly 'rock' but sometimes challenge other genres; country, pop, folk, etc. Below is a 'show' tune I recently did on my YouTube channel ;D

A castrato (Italian, plural: castrati) is a type of classical male singing voice equivalent to that of a soprano, mezzo-soprano, or contralto. The voice is produced by castration of the singer before puberty, or it occurs in one who, due to an endocrinological condition, never reaches sexual maturity. | http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castrato

sPIRIToFmYSTERY

Ahh...I learned a new word...castrato...hmm...

I prefer this song to the others. To my untrained ears you did fantastic especially that well controlled last note.

Sally_SalindraLEVEL 85

sPIRIToFmYSTERY

Ahh...I learned a new word...castrato...hmm...

I prefer this song to the others. To my untrained ears you did fantastic especially that well controlled last note. Tinypumpkin

Below are 2 Country songs I've past sang at karaoke clubs! Nowadays, I mostly sing Rock genre as my music passion! However, I might again challenge other genres depending upon my mood? Also, SingSnap is easy, but studio is a hard game to play! Dealing with effects; compression, EQ, reverb, Echo, etc! It's a balancing act getting the right blend

Tinypumpkin

Reply by TinypumpkinGOLD

Let me be your HERO...here's A Living Prayer.

sPIRIToFmYSTERY

I think Broken Wing sounded better. That's just me.

Sally_SalindraLEVEL 85

sPIRIToFmYSTERY

I think Broken Wing sounded better. That's just me. Tinypumpkin

I agree, as Independence Day is harder, plus allergies

My Journey songs are much better, also I do much at karaoke clubs

Sally_SalindraLEVEL 85

Me performing Queensryche' Jet City Woman at Maguires Irish Pub in Petaluma on Sunday karaoke night recorded by KJ Shannon Jones. Posted on my Timeline at https://www.facebook.com/markrhodge

Compare with my lame SingSnap version of same? http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/c1899d563

socomicefoxLEVEL 77

Reply by socomicefoxGOLD

@spiritofmystery I see you keep posting up your sings bro in my post so I take it you want feedback. I cant listen to em all but I took a listen to your Open Arms and Faithfully by Journey.

I always keep it real with ppl on their singing man. Again as I said before after listening to your somewhere over the rainbow song get yourself a vocal coach and learn how to control your voice. You have a unique voice that if learned how to control and how to use correctly you could be an amazing singer.

Right now though.Those 2 songs above Faithfully and Open Arms is not for your voice. Open Arms is a favorite song of mine and I have heard many singers sing the song terrible and I hate to say it but your version is the bottom worst of them all. Your timing was off. Your pitch was off alot as well and it sounded as if you was trying to yell while singing! My man get yourself a vocal coach or some lessons if you are actually trying to better your voice and who knows with a voice like that again once you learn how to use and control your voice you could become a professional.

socomicefoxLEVEL 77

Edited reply by socomicefoxGOLD

Guess what @spiritofmystery I was honestly in the mood to hear open arms by Journey and I listened to your version from youtube again and I am being straight honest here. It actually sounded good on Youtube. Dude that song is not a easy song to sing. Tbh Faithfully was way off but I take back what I said about Open Arms being terrible sing by you. Faithfully is the terrible sing imo not for your voice. But Open Arms actually kinda fits your voice for that song imo. I had to come back here and tell ya that. If you actually learn how to control your voice on that song dude you will ace it.

Sally_SalindraLEVEL 85

Guess what @spiritofmystery I was honestly in the mood to hear open arms by Journey and I listened to your version from youtube again and I am being straight honest here. It actually sounded good on Youtube. Dude that song is not a easy song to sing. Tbh Faithfully was way off but I take back what I said about Open Arms being terrible sing by you. Faithfully is the terrible sing imo not for your voice. But Open Arms actually kinda fits your voice for that song imo. I had to come back here and tell ya that. If you actually learn how to control your voice on that song dude you will ace it.socomicefox

Most Journey songs fit my voice though I can't do Perry's whistle notes on the early albums. However, the recording quality is not the best doesn't do me justice. Check out my live performance it's much better audio quality plus visual. You can hear my actual vocal timber and see how I actually sing well supported not throaty as my others recordings sound. The live Queensryche hit is the first post on my Timeline @ Mark Hodge http://www.facebook.com/markrhodge

P.S. I need to shed a few pounds but it's tough to do being a boozer

Sally_SalindraLEVEL 85

sPIRIToFmYSTERY 81 & socomicefox 72 +1 = http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/af625cdd3
sPIRIToFmYSTERY 81 & socomicefox 72 +1 = http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/b99f65dd3
sPIRIToFmYSTERY 81 & socomicefox 72 +1 = http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/b6b56d7b3

Vocal controversial matters too complex to explain here but what you hear on my end is my natural wide voice not falsetto games as you all assume? None of my recordings use other than mixer EQ and reverb. So what you hear is my actual unique castrato voice game

Sally_SalindraLEVEL 85

Dude: People: I can sing you singers under the table if you want a true 3 octave battle? The 3 duets were but quick games but do show both my true vocal range and visual truth! So if you all think that I'm playing falsetto games as some men do you have been deceived as I don't sing in falsetto but castrato factor, and I'm singing many more wonders to come from all chosen genres; opera, show, rock, pop, country, folk, etc. Also challenges are fun! I've many songs under my belt to entertain you and try to beat me? Go to my recordings page and challenge me in whatever inspires your musical singing thing and I will sing with you?

SoloSongstressLEVEL 102

Edited reply by SoloSongstressGOLD

Spiritofmystery, if you are not singing in falsetto, I'd love to hear your falsetto (as well as your whistle tones). I'm willing to engage in a friendly 3 octave battle with you. I would be amused to see you sing me under the table. Keep in mind, I'm busy and don't have time to listen to a bunch of songs, so could we limit the "battle" to a couple of songs at the most?

My lower register (tenor/base):
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/b3a5001ed

My higher register (alto/soprano)
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/c1811ad9d

SoloSongstressLEVEL 102

Reply by SoloSongstressGOLD

My friend pointed out to me that I had missed the obvious in my post above. I should have posted this song instead, because it is the highest I've ever gotten on any song here:

http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/c29479c2b

And to bring it back to the original topic of this thread, truly I would ruin my voice if I sang like this all the time. LOL!

UFOz8MyGoatLEVEL 50

Reply by UFOz8MyGoatGOLD

just wanted to add you can do scales for high notes and falsetto. lip rolls and wide sweeps of certain vowels , shoo and hoo sounds. ive been mostly inactive for years but have been doing scales for the last few weeks. on youtube called Jacobs vocal academy. my first time around I stretched out my range past my falsetto and I wouldn't recommend this but my muscle memory has come back so my range and flexibility is going well I guess. i'm to hit close to a note and sweep down and around and still sound good enough. an example. that high note in have you seen her,him. the I , I need her part where Ronnie dunn raises up in falsetto.
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/c07220ff3
I'm a bass, baritone but I can sing up into the tenor range. that what is safe. for my voice.

Be_H0nestLEVEL 13

Reply by Be_H0nest

I never had singing lessong i like high notes but i cant do it i think can you help me?
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/watchandlisten/play/bbadc46b3

gclongdoleLEVEL 30

Reply by gclongdoleGOLD

I have heard that one of the main ideas to grasp in singing correctly... The throat is a “relaxed open tube” through which air moves in and out —- as it interacts with the vocal cords...

sabathielLEVEL 43

Edited reply by sabathiel

I have heard that one of the main ideas to grasp in singing correctly... The throat is a “relaxed open tube” through which air moves in and out —- as it interacts with the vocal cords...gclongdole

Neutral larynx that stays stationary unless you want to raise or lower the larynx consciously but doing it intentionally which shows you are in control of what happens to the larynx. Your larynx is your voice box which you manipulate by making the two vocal cords coming together and connected to produce sound through the use of air or breath support from the diaphragm. For guys the voice box moving up or down can be seen if your Adam's apple move up or down.....it should, for most of the time, stay stable and neutral without much movement at all unless you do it intentionally to create certain sounds you want.

No amount of information or vocal tips can help you produce effective, efficient and healthy sounds whilst singing. This can only be achieved through repetitive daily vocal exercises such as "lip trills, tongue trills, humming and the nay nay nay exercise" (look them up on Youtube...plenty examples there) doing them the correct way until it becomes second nature and a habit of producing those sounds the correct way where your muscle coordination and vocal musculature, through muscle memory, operates automatically without even thinking. Yes it is a form of conditioning as well as the strengthening of those vocal muscles like a body builder building his muscles through training and lifting weights in the gym. People always ask tips to sing better....but really there is no quick fix tips to help anyone other than training your voice for months and years to increase vocal stamina, create the right healthy habits and condition the muscles to sing with the most efficient muscle coordination to sing smarter not harder. You gotta train daily because if you stop...you drop! You really need a good working ethic to excel and improve. Knowledge only helps to the point that you know the theory in order to do the correct actions because you are aware of how your body works in producing sound and what it feels like in your body when you are doing it correctly.

You gotta be a vocal jihadi to go through the "struggle" to master the voice. So singing jihadis.........find the right knowledge, find the right exercises, do them correctly on a daily basis and you will find improvement pretty much in the first week you do them and it will keep on improving and growing the longer you keep doing them. And remember.....you stop, you drop just like any athlete who stops training.

KLFtunesLEVEL 81

Reply by KLFtunesGOLD

I wish I had a coach

<< Prev