Singing with Dentures?

This topic is listed in General Discussion.
It has been viewed 1,397 times and 31 replies have been made.

CityandMusic

Post by CityandMusicGOLD

Yup that's right, I said it. The word Denture.

In 2009 I had to have surgery on my mouth, I had a bone condition and several other mouth problems that had been present since childhood which led to me having to get full DENTURES at only 29!
I was told I would never sing again and to give up any hope of trying, and that I would be lucky if I could ever talk properly!!!!...... and I said BULL$HIT! I have spent the last 3 and a half years retraining my mouth. And I am proud to say that I can sing better than ever and have no trouble speaking whatsoever.

Does anyone else on here sing with dentures?? or anyone brave enough to admit it?

CityandMusic

Reply by CityandMusicGOLD

I would really like to hear your stories

CityandMusic

Edited reply by CityandMusicGOLD

Nazzo

Reply by NazzoGOLD

#4 just behind Lorde in the Kiwi charts

I was told I would never sing again before this buggar of an op back in Jan 2001.
They didn't expect me to live but I have a habit of proving people, even professionals, wrong. It was facial op slicing my skull open and pulling it forward to remove my cheek bone and replace it with a lateral slice of skull and thats only a fraction of it. As a consequence, to this day, that whole side of my face has suffered from constant pain when there was none before but again that's almost another story but it directly related to having to have teeth yanked out late last year and falsies for want of a smoother word wacked in about March. I hate the damn things. They feel like bricks and you can't eat with them, although singing is easier with them than not because of the S sounds more than any other. So I'm stuffed if I know what to do. If I had bucks I'd get more until they got it right. I think the problem with eating at least, is when they wacked my head back together again, they didn't properly align the jaw hinges, so the left hinge opens before the right one and its just out of wack.
There's heaps of people here with false teeth.
Anyway that's my story. There is nothing straight forward about the way things go for me. One thing always leads to another. If it starts with a good thing, that's all good but if it's bad, it gets worse

CityandMusic

Before I got my dentures I wasn't able to eat. So my experience with them has been a lot different. I love mine. Maybe you need to have them refitted?? Although I know a few people that cannot stand to wear them, and say the same thing about it feeling like bricks! I have never had a problem with mine, thankfully!

Being told you are never going to sing again is a big deal, I am glad someone else has went through that and rose up past what they told us we couldn't.
The best part about what you wrote is that you are indeed ALIVE, in 2005 I almost died from infection in my head. It was a scary time. BUT WE ARE HERE!!!!!

Thanks so much for bringing your story forward, its wonderful to know that I am not alone!

Nazzo

Reply by NazzoGOLD

I have to agree it is good to be alive but I never doubted that the professionals were wrong.
There'll be all sorts of other stories out there similar to ours. It's all how we handle them ourselves. My advice to them would be probably what yours is and that's never say never. I'll have to get them check or reset as you say.
Keep up the positive and destroy the negative, no matter where it comes from.

Bob-H

Reply by Bob-HPATRON

I've had dentures for over 10 years. Only problem is that , at first, your tongue feels about 5 sizes too big! Singing did take some adjustment, tho....it's not the teeth that matter, it's the voice! LOL

CityandMusic

Hahahahaah Bob! I had that problem!!! But myself I think singing has somewhat to do with the teeth (so the tongue sits properly) and muscles that you are using, You should hear me try to sing without them! Whew! its bad! hahahah

CityandMusic

I have to agree it is good to be alive but I never doubted that the professionals were wrong.
There'll be all sorts of other stories out there similar to ours. It's all how we handle them ourselves. My advice to them would be probably what yours is and that's never say never. I'll have to get them check or reset as you say.
Keep up the positive and destroy the negative, no matter where it comes from. Nazzo

xCHELLEx

Reply by xCHELLEx

Having had most of my teeth removed in June.........I shall be back later!

CityandMusic

Having had most of my teeth removed in June.........I shall be back later!xCHELLEx

hobo56

Reply by hobo56

i have a upper plate dentures and most of the time i have no problem singing and i sing alot not just on singsnap but at nursing homes and other places sometimes 4 to 5 days out of the week . The only thing that happens is once in a great while is my upper plate will drop down if im really belting out a tune but i usually recover real quick and laugh it off . Not anything that would keep me from doing what i love most and thats singing and putting smiles on folks faces . i could use fixadent or something like that but it doesnt happen enough to even worry about . Glad your singing dont let anyone stop you from doing what you enjoy

CityandMusic

i have a upper plate dentures and most of the time i have no problem singing and i sing alot not just on singsnap but at nursing homes and other places sometimes 4 to 5 days out of the week . The only thing that happens is once in a great while is my upper plate will drop down if im really belting out a tune but i usually recover real quick and laugh it off . Not anything that would keep me from doing what i love most and thats singing and putting smiles on folks faces . i could use fixadent or something like that but it doesnt happen enough to even worry about . Glad your singing dont let anyone stop you from doing what you enjoyhobo56

WHOA they actually fall out?? I would laugh that off too, but thankfully have never had it happen. I also sing in public quite often, open mics, shows etc. I use Fixodent, and I swear you could hang by your teeth with that stuff

CityandMusic

i have a upper plate dentures and most of the time i have no problem singing and i sing alot not just on singsnap but at nursing homes and other places sometimes 4 to 5 days out of the week . The only thing that happens is once in a great while is my upper plate will drop down if im really belting out a tune but i usually recover real quick and laugh it off . Not anything that would keep me from doing what i love most and thats singing and putting smiles on folks faces . i could use fixadent or something like that but it doesnt happen enough to even worry about . Glad your singing dont let anyone stop you from doing what you enjoyhobo56

WHOA they actually fall out?? I would laugh that off too, but thankfully have never had it happen. I also sing in public quite often, open mics, shows etc. I use Fixodent, and I swear you could hang by your teeth with that stuff CityandMusic

not fall out, fall down***

CityandMusic

bozoboots

Edited reply by bozobootsGOLD

My teeth were pretty well ruined by a succession of hockey sticks and pucks to the face, but when I had a good set of dentures I could continue working as a singing DJ and the only real problem was necking with the groupies.
With the dentures in it lost it's soft romanticism, ... and with them out the women ran like hell!

CityandMusic

My teeth were pretty well ruined by a succession of hockey sticks and pucks to the face, but when I had a good set of dentures I could continue working as a singing DJ and the only real problem was necking with the groupies.
With the dentures in it lost it's soft romanticism, ... and with them out the women ran like hell!bozoboots

Hahahaha, Well I'm glad you at least got the singing part figured out

CityandMusic

Oh and I forgot to mention that I REALLY LOVE THE FACT THAT THEY LOOK JUST LIKE MY OLD TEETH. Amazing. To say the very least!

1OldTimer

Reply by 1OldTimerGOLD

Yep! I've had dentures for some time now. It was an adjustment for sure. I haven't recorded much lately but it's not because of my teeth.

Nazzo

Reply by NazzoGOLD

I've decided mine don't fit properly. When I bite down its not molar on molar, its more from canine forward which causes the back part of roof to flip down almost like a small see saw motion, making eating good stuff which needs grinding, impossible.
Do you reckon this calls for a call back to get them to get it right? I'm all new to this stuff that's why I ask and only you can give me the answers before I query them.

Bob-H

Reply by Bob-HPATRON

I think it's molar to molar with a slight overbite..front teeth should not touch

Nazzo

Reply by NazzoGOLD

Thanks for that Bob. I think I've been some what cleverly had. I'll get in touch with them this week.

CityandMusic

Yeah that's not right Nazzo, I hope you get it figured out and if not glue those suckahs in

Nazzo

Reply by NazzoGOLD

Thanks City. I really hate having to complain, unlike how some would think in here lol but it's just not right and the glue is horrible. Luckily I don't have to go out a lot and I have a strong tongue for bashing any food into the roof of my mouf

CityandMusic

I have never had a problem with the kind I use
And you are welcome, complaining about your mouth is, lets just say WAY different than complaining around here lol Its important!

Steve-G

Edited reply by Steve-GCHAT-ADMIN

Eye of the SURVIVOR

I am blessed with a partial lower, though I have a full upper. When I first got my teeth I thought that I was going to have a lot of trouble. My biggest issue was with the esses and of course having a full mouth of plastic. Going from no teeth to having teeth was a blessing. I really sounded like an old man without them and forming hard words was difficult. The sound is a bit different too, but I am living with it.

Nazzo your teeth do not fit properly. You should have a bit of overbite on the front and contact with your molars. You can get your denturist to do a bite strip so he can figure out where your molars are not making contact and adjust accordingly. As with anything, you get what you pay for. If you are having some issues with grip you might want to keep your dentures in for a whole week. Though its not recommended it will give your gums a bit of time to actually form to your dentures. Brush them as you would your teeth before bed but put them back in. I did this with my teeth and I have so much suction on the top plate now my denturist was amazed at how difficult they were to remove. If you sing a lot you may want to consider implants (snaps that hold your dentures fast). If they use this method they can also cut back a lot of the plate that is there to build suction, leaving you pretty much with 2 horseshoes instead.

Nazzo

Reply by NazzoGOLD

Thanks Loon. I'll get that checked out. I made an appointment to see the guy at The Hospital who did it, near the end of the month. So I'll take in that info on the over bite and the bite strip and we'll see how they go. Its frustrating having to have them but over a decade's worth of daily pain killers has done the damage and as was the right side of the jaw's always saw anyway and the teeth don't help lol but we'll get there

CoconutDave

Reply by CoconutDaveGOLD

Members of the Coconut Lounge!! Updated 588 member list published, time to go duet crazy!! :)))

I got a temp upper partial, and finally got up the nerve to record a song and try 'em out. Since Paul Simon rarely sings louder than a soft conversation, I thought that would be a good place to try out my new "voice". I have to work on the esses, they seem a bit loud after not being able to clearly enunciate the sharper consonants like F, TH, S and Z, but I'm overall quite pleased that not much has changed. Any critiques are welcome, I'm stuck with these for the rest of my life and appreciate any tips or tricks.

Still Crazy After All These Years - Paul Simon
Uh, leave the tips and critique here, in the thread. I don't want a hint that this was a test flight of replacement dental work, so post those below. Thanks

Nazzo

Reply by NazzoGOLD

Ahhh thats much better. Thanks for the advice. I'm not one to complain, although I'm sure the odd person would unfairly disagree. Saw the Dental Technition this morning and he ground down the high points and although not perfect, definitely much better for eating, biting, chewing and nibbling ..... on food at least

CityandMusic

that's awesome!!!!!!!! so happy you got em figured out atleast for now ! I have to go in soon and get the bottom fitted again

Nazzo

Reply by NazzoGOLD

Yes. I'm relatively happy and I'll give it a little more time. It's almost perfect but not quite there but certainly much better than what it was. He did leave the door open if I wasn't totally satisfied which might require making a new bottom lot whic h will be nearer the mark but we'll see.
Good luck with yours

Nazzo

Reply by NazzoGOLD

Singing wise might be better after the nose job next year

Topic Closed
This topic has been closed and will not receive any new replies.