This topic is listed in Vocal Help, Tips & Critique.
It has been viewed 28,339 times and 745 replies have been made.

Previous Next
justadreamer

Edited reply by justadreamerPATRON

ive been reading this thread about the alesis mixer so i went and got one omg i love it , only prob im haveing is getting speakers set up , im not sure how this warks with the alesis am i able to listen to myself as i sing, with head set on or no...this book is no help to me , just call me stupid. hehe. CHARMMER

The Alesis mixers are really nice mixers imo..
There's just a few things you need to make sure you do
before you record with them..

First off you have to make sure that the s/s wizard is set right for your mixer..the mixer will be called (usb audio codec) I believe..and that is what your default recording device should be in the s/s wizard..it will also be your default playback device too..

Also in your computer audio settings,,it needs to be set the same way,,(usb audio codecs) is your default recording and playback device there too.

On the mixer........
The (USB to main) button needs to be in the up position when you record,,and in the down position for listening to all playbacks..

The other push buttons should all be in the down position..

Headphones work great just make sure you turn up the vol. on the headphone knob..

Speakers can be hooked up with the (tape out) jacks..but they will need to be "powered speakers" (having their own built in amplifiers) "most computer type speakers are powered speakers.

-Tas-

Reply by -Tas-GOLD +1

Hi there,
Yeah the recordings you did listen to were ones that I saved..the ones that had the sound issues that were beyond bad I never saved. I will save one for you if it happens again. Thanks for the advice on the hot mixer thought sounds like a good plan.

justadreamer

Reply by justadreamerPATRON

Hi there,
Yeah the recordings you did listen to were ones that I saved..the ones that had the sound issues that were beyond bad I never saved. I will save one for you if it happens again. Thanks for the advice on the hot mixer thought sounds like a good plan.grammatea4u

YVW~!

wellfield

Reply by wellfieldGOLD

I have a question here...Is my behringer 1202fx mixer supposed to get this hot..the underneath part of it is hot..

I've been also having issues lately with my sound cutting in and out..I thought it was the beta recorder that I've been testing. but went and sing using my windows sound recorder and I still had cutting out sound..

you have any ideas what the issue could be? Is it the mixer or perhaps my microphone which is a cheap radio shack one that I've had for about two years now.grammatea4u

Hi fellow Alisis user...I seem to remember reading in the instructions that the mixer works best when its heated up...mines is red hot also!..not to worry

justadreamer

I have a question here...Is my behringer 1202fx mixer supposed to get this hot..the underneath part of it is hot..

I've been also having issues lately with my sound cutting in and out..I thought it was the beta recorder that I've been testing. but went and sing using my windows sound recorder and I still had cutting out sound..

you have any ideas what the issue could be? Is it the mixer or perhaps my microphone which is a cheap radio shack one that I've had for about two years now.grammatea4u

Hi fellow Alisis user...I seem to remember reading in the instructions that the mixer works best when its heated up...mines is red hot also!..not to worrywellfield

Lol,,I suppose that would make for one HOT recording huh?,,hehe,,I'm a Yamaha user myself..But if it ever burns up,,I'll probably get an Alesis too...Barb loves her Alesis! It does run very cool too btw..Her 1202 fx ran SUPER HOT all the time..I think it lasted just a little over a yr...

justadreamer

Another problem with the 1202 fx ,,as I stated before..is that the plug in for the power supply is VERY fragile there are tiny little prongs on it that will break if you unplug it and try to plug it back in while holding the jack the wrong way..and if you break one of the prongs off..the mixer is pretty much done!,,It's an odd ball power supply too,,very hard to find one of them online,,I think it's a twin power supply using dual 18 volt feeds..

I'm not sure why Behringer designed something with such a rare power supply? And such a fragile power plug in jack?..It could be that they are hoping that you may break one of those tiny prongs and just have to buy another mixer!..That would be my guess..hehe..

The problem with electronic devices running to hot is,,over time it can melt the rosin used in certain parts such as the capacitors and resistors ect..

E-Machine computers used faulty parts such as (capacitor's) in the past on their mother-boads,,and power supply's. And some of the electronic parts melted from overheating,,once that happened it caused a short in the mother-board and the PC was destroyed!,,This happened to probably 1000's of PC's,

Excessive heat is never a good thing in electronic devices..it may not cause a problem right away,,but over time it most certainly will..

wellfield

Reply by wellfieldGOLD

"Excessive heat"...your right 'justadreamer'..I have to put a small fan facing my 'Tee-Vo' T.V. recording box..it comes up on the screen when its overheated,so I'll bet the same thing applies to Mixers too.

justadreamer

"Excessive heat"...your right 'justadreamer'..I have to put a small fan facing my 'Tee-Vo' T.V. recording box..it comes up on the screen when its overheated,so I'll bet the same thing applies to Mixers too.wellfield

Yep..I think it applies to just about all electronics..
Every computer I've ever seen has a fan over the CPU ..and a fan built in the power supply also,and usually a case fan as well..Mine has 4 fans..lol
The hotter a CPU gets the slower it's performance will be..

It's the same way with most amplifiers too,.,they usually have a fan in them too,,to keep the circuit board cool,,mainly the transistors powered by the board..if they get to hot they will fry..and the amp will stop working..

justadreamer

That's one reason I've always liked Peavey Amps..the "CS" series in particular.(commercial series). have always been designed with very good fan ventilation in them!..They are made to run at full wattage for long periods at a time without any problems of over heating..

justadreamer

In electronic devices..all excess wattage that isn't being used by the device turns to heat!..excess wattage = heat

Same thing applies to speakers too..That big magnet on the back of a woofer has 2 reasons for being there..1 it helps to create a magnetic field for the speakers voice coil..Also it helps to absorb excess heat..the higher the wattage a speaker is,,the larger size the magnet will usually be..
(more heat absorption) ..

It's the excess heat that burns the tiny copper wires that make up the windings in the speakers voice coil. The larger the magnet the more heat it can absorb thus keeping the voice coil from burning out..

wellfield

Reply by wellfieldGOLD

Nice to know all this stuff!!!!

-Tas-

Reply by -Tas-GOLD +1

Hi.
As I stated before I have the behringer1202fx mixer...I was wondering how or if I can use this with a headset that has a microphone...I want be hands free when singing..I have no idea how to set it up or anything for that..

justadreamer

Hi.
As I stated before I have the behringer1202fx mixer...I was wondering how or if I can use this with a headset that has a microphone...I want be hands free when singing..I have no idea how to set it up or anything for that..
grammatea4u

You sure can,,All you need are these 2 adapters..

justadreamer

the mic should be the "pink" jack on your headphones..

justadreamer

just plug the pink one into the mono adapter and pug the big end into a mic ch. on the mixer..

And plug your stereo headphone jack into the stereo adapter and then plug the big end into the headphone jack on the mixer..

The mixer will have to have the "Cd/ tape out" going to the "audio in" on the pc..and "audio out" of the pc will go to "Cd/tape in" on the mixer..

justadreamer

oh,,for the hook up from the computer to the mixer you will need 2 cords like this too,if you don't have them already..

Some people just use 1 though?,,(from pc out to mixer in)
But I've always used 2...

justadreamer

Back to the Alesis mixers..for a just second here...See?,, This is another reason I really like the (Alesis multimix 8 USB mixer)

With it, you have just 1 cord, the USB cord going to the PC..
Nothing else is needed!..Also you have a HQ digital audio interface built into the mixer too!
It's not a cheap, light weight, tiny mixer either,,it's good size mixer,and a well made piece of equipment,,And it doesn't cost much more than the Bheringer 1202 fx..hehe...

Just a thought..lol..

justadreamer

Another note:..The power supply hook up on the Alesis,,is made out of chrome plated metal and it screws on!,,No tiny, plastic, flimsy, easy to break jack!
The Alesis is roughly 2x larger than the 1202fx too!
The power supply is larger more heavy duty than the one on the 1202..All the knobs look and feel better than those on the 1202...IMO the Alesis multimix 8 usb mixer is a Very well made mixer for the money!

On sale here for $141.55
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/alesis-multimix-8-usb-fx-regular/486142000000000?src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=614233028

justadreamer

As for me, the problems I've always had in the past using just a regular mixer,, was timing problems in the S/S recorder..

That's why I use a "digital interface" with my mixer,,The Alesis has that (built in)..

But without the interface..I have major timing issues!!
A digital interface helps that greatly for me!,,I have virtually NO timing issues using an interface with my mixer..

There's a lot of factors that effect the timing in the S/S recorder..Your internet speed is one of them,,particularly your upload speed..You computer is basically "communicating" with the S/s servers..and the faster it can send the signals the less errors there will be in the timing of the recording..A delay of the internet signal,,creates a delay in the timing on your recording..And as you all know,,sometimes it results in the dreaded "drop out" error message!..lol..

Another factor is analog to digital conversion within you pc..
This is where the interface helps out a lot!..A standard PC records in analog..and then through the sound card the signal is converted to digital..But with a digital interface..you are recording in digital,,so there's no lag time in signal conversion..therefor a faster upload,,and better timing sync within the S/S recorder..

CHARMMER

Reply by CHARMMER

thank you so much for your help that helps

justadreamer

YW CHARMMER!

justadreamer

Barb has quite a few mics,,, so she decided to do a mic "shoot-out".

She did a test using 6 different mics and singing the same song, with the same settings on her (Alesis multimix 8 USB mixer)..Each mic has it own different quality's.. The mics vary in price range from $15 to $230

All 6 recordings have been set to her inner-circle and everyone in this thread has been added to the inner circle..
Anyone that comes in later and wants to listen to the mic comparison test..just PM her and she will add you too..

#1.First up the V2 go mic..$30

Jackie Blue
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/b179738cc

#2.The Sennheiser Evolution E 835-S is a lead, vocal stage mic $90

http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/b596282ec

#3. The Shure SM86 is a unidirectional (cardioid) condenser vocal microphone $149

http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/af75d3c8c

#4. The Superlux R102 Ribbon Microphone $240

http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/b4b5d1b6c

#5. The MXL 990 condenser mic $60

http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/b478e108c

#6.The SP-4C karaoke mic $15

http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/b88d006ec

justadreamer

I think this shoot-out also proves that just about any mic will sound good using the Alesis multimix 8 USB mixer!

Even the last one, the $15 mic still sounds pretty dang good to me!..However it wouldn't sound this good without the Alesis mixer..the built in interface is what's bringing out the quality in all these mics!

BarbaraMaria

Reply by BarbaraMariaGOLD

haha...too bad I couldn't get the lil plastic chat mic to work...I think I can do it if I unhook the mixer, then hook up the UA-4FX interface, and plug the mic into that instead...OR directly to the computer will work too, but then I'll have to change my recording setting and all that...too much trouble right now LOL

justadreamer

lol,,Yea that is a lot of trouble babe!!..I would like to hear how it sounds one day though..hehe...We could have a "plastic mic" shoot-out...lol

BarbaraMaria

LOL...yup!

BarbaraMaria

I would like to hear YOUR voice on all the different mics we have too!

justadreamer

My top 3 pics are the Shure the Superlux and the MXL...

justadreamer

I would like to hear YOUR voice on all the different mics we have too!BarbaraMaria

Ok I'll do it later on then..hehe

BarbaraMaria

yup, mine too!

BarbaraMaria

I would like to hear YOUR voice on all the different mics we have too!BarbaraMaria

Ok I'll do it later on then..hehejustadreamer

cool!

FrankCNY

Reply by FrankCNYGOLD

Barb has quite a few mics,,, so she decided to do a mic "shoot-out".

She did a test using 6 different mics and singing the same song, with the same settings on her (Alesis multimix 8 USB mixer)..Each mic has it own different quality's.. The mics vary in price range from $15 to $230

All 6 recordings have been set to her inner-circle and everyone in this thread has been added to the inner circle..
Anyone that comes in later and wants to listen to the mic comparison test..just PM her and she will add you too..
justadreamer

What a fantastic idea, thank you....and in case you haven't been told your time and effort (and Barbara's too) are much appreciated...I'm proud to call you both FRIEND!!

justadreamer

Thanks so much Frank!!

Jeanneweanne

Edited reply by JeanneweanneGOLD

Hi there! You are AWESOME, justadreamer, for all of your helpful advice and tips on this often frustrating subject of getting the best sound quality out of the equipment ya got.
My problem: Admittedly- my equipment is crap and if I had more disposable income right now, I'd get some decent recording gear. But, since my lotto numbers have yet to hit, I use an OLD laptop with a Sigma soundcard, and my 'mixer' is my Behringer Bass V-Amp multi-effect modeling pre-amp gadget that I use sometimes when I play my bass guitar. (don't laugh- I'm being 'resourceful' ha, ha) and my mic is an Audix OM2 dynamic, which I realize is designed for live performances rather than recording, but it's a good quality mic.
Anyway... here's one of my recent recordings where you can definitely notice the distortion/fuzziness while I sing. Is it just me though or does it sound like the problem improves greatly, as the song progresses? I've noticed this a lot lately. I would think that if it's a problem, it would be consistently that way throughout the song.
I dunno.
Thanks in advance for your input on this!
Jeanne

http://www.singsnap.com/snap/r/ada42a7c4
EDIT- I'm going to remix this song and turn up the vocals a bit higher than they should be- hoping that doing this will help you troubleshoot a little better. Let me know if you want me to adjust it back down. thanks

justadreamer

Thanks Jeanneweanne!..

I've listened to your recording a few times..I do hear some slight fuzzy sounds..I have to ask too?..Did you happen to use the MMSB option?,,Because the fuzzy sounds appear to start up just as you start to sing each line?..This kind of distortion happens sometimes when compression is used in a recording,,such as the MMSB option?..

Also distortion like this becomes more evident when the mixer settings aren't set quite right..Such as having the mids set to high.. I would suggest raising the lows some..and lowering the mids a bit,,,and raising the highs just a touch..Also, I think you should lower the mics gain just a little..cause there is some slight over modulation at times..that's those "crackle" sounds..
I heard a few crackles in there near the ending..

Also ,,If you did use the MMSB option?,I think I'd try to re-record this song without it, and listen to see if the "shhhh" sounds are there?,,,Then reset your mixer like I suggested and try the song again with the mmsb and see if it's as obvious as before?,,

Edited to say,,I know it's not a normal mixer..but if this is what you're using..you should still be able to adjust those settings I believe..

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/V-AMP2.aspx

Jeanneweanne

Reply by JeanneweanneGOLD

Hi there! Yes, that's what I use- but mine is specially made for the bass guitar while that one looks like it's for a regular 6 string electric. I'll play around with the settings as suggested and let you know how i do. Yes, I use the MMSB option. I find without it, I really have to turn up my microphone volume and that usually makes my recordings sound worse. However, I will play around more with having it off and making the adjustments and see what happens.

thanks so much for taking the time to help me out!

Jeanne

justadreamer

Yvw Jeanne!,,

charis28

Reply by charis28

Great comparison on all the mic's, thank you both for all your input think i agree with you justadreamer on mic choice, and Barbara has a beautiful voice will be adding her to fav.

justadreamer

Great comparison on all the mic's, thank you both for all your input think i agree with you justadreamer on mic choice, and Barbara has a beautiful voice will be adding her to fav.charis28

Thanks charis28!!..

I do love her voice too!!,,She's been a Fav of mine for some time now..hehe..

BarbaraMaria

Great comparison on all the mic's, thank you both for all your input think i agree with you justadreamer on mic choice, and Barbara has a beautiful voice will be adding her to fav.charis28

Thanks charis28!!..

I do love her voice too!!,,She's been a Fav of mine for some time now..hehe..justadreamer

like like like like...LOL

thanks a bunches, Charis!

Gothic123

Reply by Gothic123GOLD

Hi, I have an expensive 600Watt Behringer mixer that I don't normally use for karaoke. One day I decided to try to use it for a SingSnap track and it sound really crappy...I think I hooked it up correctly but the effects are terrible..don't know what I am doing wrong?

flatduck

Reply by flatduckGOLD

Are we in 2015 already ? or do i have to wait

600 watt mixer ? wowwwwwwwwwwwww lot of uneeded watts

flatduck

Reply by flatduckGOLD

Are we in 2015 already ? or do i have to wait

unless your using it for live show

justadreamer

Hi, I have an expensive 600Watt Behringer mixer that I don't normally use for karaoke. One day I decided to try to use it for a SingSnap track and it sound really crappy...I think I hooked it up correctly but the effects are terrible..don't know what I am doing wrong?

Gothic123

Could you post the song you recorded with the mixer?..I'd like to listen to it..and see if I can decide what may be wrong?

Gothic123

Reply by Gothic123GOLD

unless your using it for live showflatduck

Yes I bought it when I was singing in a band...Thought I would try it out with some karaoke tracks on SS...but it ain't working too well...

Gothic123

Reply by Gothic123GOLD

Gothic123

Could you post the song you recorded with the mixer?..I'd like to listen to it..and see if I can decide what may be wrong?justadreamer

Sure...and thanks...I need to record one cause I deleted the others for obvious reasons..

justadreamer

Gothic123

Could you post the song you recorded with the mixer?..I'd like to listen to it..and see if I can decide what may be wrong?justadreamer

Sure...and thanks...I need to record one cause I deleted the others for obvious reasons..Gothic123

Ok I'll be watching for it!

Gothic123

Reply by Gothic123GOLD

OK I have tried but I'm getting nothing but a normal recording with or without MMSB. So it's not hooked up correctly. I have a Behringer PMP1680S and a Yamaha audiogram6 USB interface. I tried all the possible permutations and combinations of cabling but it doesn't work..grrrr..

justadreamer

OK I have tried but I'm getting nothing but a normal recording with or without MMSB. So it's not hooked up correctly. I have a Behringer PMP1680S and a Yamaha audiogram6 USB interface. I tried all the possible permutations and combinations of cabling but it doesn't work..grrrr..

Gothic123

Have you tried hooking it up this way?

You may have to have the mic plugged into the mixer,,to get effects?,I'm not sure on that part..I'm thinking though this hook up should work cause you are creating a loop between the interface and mixer when it's hooked up like this...

Gothic123

Reply by Gothic123GOLD

Gothic123

Have you tried hooking it up this way?

You may have to have the mic plugged into the mixer,,to get effects?,I'm not sure on that part..I'm thinking though this hook up should work cause you are creating a loop between the interface and mixer when it's hooked up like this...justadreamer

I'll try it....and wow you are amazing! Thanks so much for including a diagram..that's just such a great help...this is a brilliant thread..

I'll get back to you...

Previous Next