Getting Back On My Feet Again

This topic is listed in Sponsorship. It has been viewed 115 times and 3 replies have been made.

Paulk201270LEVEL 25

Post by Paulk201270

Hmmmm, well I'm 48, been working mostly for the last 32 years. I was out of work from July 2017 to August 2018, went through a category 5 hurricane in September 2017 and I'm still here.....

As the title states, I'm finally starting to get back on my feet again after all funds/financing/savings were exhausted and made me feel less than nothing, almost not human. It was a rough time and there are many more that have been through worse than me - so I'm grateful - to be alive, to be able to function, to be able to sing and start to enjoy myself again.

I have 2 daughters, one is now 29 and just completed her Doctor's certification in Trinidad & Tobago after more than 10 years of additional study, and the other is at University in the UK. All of which is funded from here as there are no scholarships like elsewhere....!

I love to sing, I sing every song I can manage - good or bad. Hopefully some of you have heard them and liked them - or not.......

Whilst I do not feel the most worthy of sponsorship, I was always taught it does not hurt to ask - which is why I am here.

Thanks you for your time and consideration, and whatever happens - KEEP SINGING!!!

ImaChristian2

Reply by ImaChristian2GOLD +1

Hi. I wish you the very best. I hope you don't mind my asking. I have barely traveled out of Oregon, let alone abroad, so if I sound naïve, it's really just because I'm an old hippie. Anyway, I was surprised when I read the part of your post about Scholarships. They have none? How awful! Is that for any type of college pursuit? I do not find this funny but, I hope they don't offer them for other things instead, like sports. Ya all got the best Rugby athletes anyway. Still, I hope this changes for the folks who need help. It's so expensive to pay for an education. Geez. All the best!

Paulk201270LEVEL 25

Reply by Paulk201270

I left the UK in 2001 and live in the Caribbean (Turks & Caicos). Yes, it's indeed beautiful here, but expensive.

Education here is probably the most expensive item that occurs, and if you want the best for your kids, it's worth every penny (or cent as we actually use the $US here).

It's a British Dependent Territory, so still under UK control but they don't control scholarships - local governance does and they choose who to allocate to. An Ex-Pat UK person does not fit the list. Also, most scholarships are geared towards hospitality and other tourism activities as that is the country's primary source of income.....

I paid private school education for both of my children as I obviously wanted the best for them, and that obviously became more expensive with my eldest who trained to be a doctor for the subsequent 10 years after normal school ended (who knew that took about 10 years, lol!)

Going through hurricanes, the last one as I said was a Category 5 in September 2017, is certainly a learning experience - but thankfully most of the construction here is designed to withstand severe storms. Other caribbean destinations that went through the same storm didn't fare so well.....

I am thankful - yes, I said it, for the almost total destruction of the communications infrastructure during the storm - as we finally now have the capability for FTTH (Fiber to the home).

Many thanks for your best wishes, and KEEP ON SINGING!

ImaChristian2

Reply by ImaChristian2GOLD +1

Wow! Very interesting info here. Thank you kindly!