Help me get better, I beg of you.

This topic is listed in Singing & Songwriting Tips. It has been viewed 507 times and 9 replies have been made.

goodiest82LEVEL 39

Post by goodiest82

If anybody is willing, I would be really appreciative if you would listen to a song or two and give me some crude honest advice.. any tips you might have on improving will be taken to heart, thanks.

-Pat

http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/watchandlisten/play/bbaa1dca3
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/watchandlisten/play/af72c0ea7
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/watchandlisten/play/b57329aff

ZZ-EdLEVEL 67

Edited reply by ZZ-EdGOLD

Hmmm. "Crude and honest advice" eh?

Sure. I can do that.

First song. Your mic technique sucks. You've got to sing where the microphone can pick you up and not sound like you are wandering all over the room. Maybe going to the bathroom...or into the kitchen to make a sandwich while your are singing. It would be nice if your sound doesn't completely disappear periodically while you are performing. (and all mics are not created equal in this regard)

Second and third. Consider spending the 15 bucks and upgrading to a paid membership for a month. Then you can lower the key of the song to where it is something that you can actually reach. Your trying to singing notes that you can't really reach are not only horrible for your vocal chords but torture to the ears of those of us unlucky enough to have to hear it.

Otherwise...I hear actual moments of excellence. Fleeting though they may be. Your voice is fine. It's mostly in your choice of songs and how you choose to use it. Elton john you are not. Maybe try James Taylor.

Notice: There is every possibility that I have no idea what I'm talking about. Use any information provided at your own risk. Please keep out of the reach of small children. Note also that plastic bags can be dangerous and can lead to suffocation.

Shoreline_GirlLEVEL 87

Edited reply by Shoreline_GirlGOLD

Note to self:

Don't read posts by ZZ-Ed while eating.

Can anyone who knows the Heimlich get here fast?

:: throwing myself against my kitchen counter ::

Shoreline_GirlLEVEL 87

Edited reply by Shoreline_GirlGOLD

I sure know who to ask if I wanna know if a dress makes my butt look big! LOL

Shoreline_GirlLEVEL 87

Reply by Shoreline_GirlGOLD

Hi Pat, I am listening to you sing Hallelujah. You have a really great voice. I would love to try a duet with you sometime! Hallelujah is such a tough song to sing without being able to lower the pitch. I give you credit for trying! Ed makes a good point, it really is worth it to upgrade ... i have to adjust a lot of songs to a lower pitch bcuz this alto knows her limitations. And even with lowering the pitch, anything by Whitney Houston or Heart is never gonna happen. I couldn't hear you at times, but I heard enough to know that you really do have a terrific voice. I thought your mic clarity sounded good ... perhaps you were turning your head away at times while you were singing and that is why I couldn't hear you?

Anyway, welcome to SingSnap. Hope you have a great time here.

Looking forward to hearing more from you!

Jeannie

jbc_cdcLEVEL 53

Edited reply by jbc_cdcGOLD

I read the other comments above and found some good points that I was going to mention as well! It was mentioned about spending the extra money for at least a month of gold...so you can use the pitch changer option...you start off fairly well but as the song gets higher and higher, it's evident that you are straining to hit the notes. Give it a try and see how it works for you! Your vocal volume, as mentioned in the previous comment, was going high and low. If you're using a handheld mic...unless you are very experienced in how to use it..ie..moving in closer on lower notes and backing away on higher notes, which tend to get louder, I'd suggest getting a mic stand and attach a wind screen to it. Not a wind SOCK but one that you can get close to, while staying away from the mic a bit! That way you can use it to adjust your volume, by touching it with your nose or lips, then backing away as needed, then getting back to where you need to be afterwards. Find songs that are easier to sing for a while until you get the hang of the recorder. Jumping into the water with both feet, rarely has a good ending if you are just learning to "swim"! Just a few things I would suggest. Hope some of it helps you a little. Welcome to SS and I hope you get comfortable with it and sing some good songs!!

AacchaLEVEL 30

Edited reply by Aaccha

For me, most of the problems that i'm hearing with the Hallelujah song come from your interpretation of it. I would like to hear you sing this as straight as possible with out any attempt to get special effects or alter the dynamics (volume).

Also I'm not sure if this is a problem or not but I suspect there is something odd going on with the way you are using your breath. But I might be able to get clarity on that after hearing you sing this straight or maybe after I listen to another song you do which i'm going to do now.

One problem you don't have is pitch. Unless its slight. Basically you sing in tune and that's a huge advance. I know people who have lovely tone and beautiful diction but seem to have trouble singing the notes which must be an insane problem to have.

Ok now i've listened to all three and it seems to me like you are trying to hold back air which may be why its sounds like you are sort of strangling. When you speak your voice sounds relaxed, rich and full but when you sing, you sound constrained and constricted. I wonder if you'd get a lot of benefit from doing some vocal exercises. I have a great course i bought from the songbird tree. Its a woman so i don't know if that would hold you back at all but she goes into everything you need including relaxation and how to produce sound in a healthy way. As to warm ups they don't come much better than Mark Baxter who's videos are free on youtube. You may learn a lot just from doing those. Kerri on thesongbirdtree.com also has plenty of free videos but i her course has been invaluable to me. It wasn't expensive when i bought just the audio course i don't think you need to buy a video course.

I say all this becuase it sounds like you are trying to sing in an unnatural way. I could be wrong but that is what it sounds like to me.

painkillerLEVEL 46

Edited reply by painkiller

I would say from what I heard in the three songs, you do need to start out with songs in lower key and focus on you timing and singing on key. you can work on expanding your vocal range a little at a time you don't wanna blow out your vocal cords( it sucks). Try this sing a song acapella something that doesn't have screaming highs etc a slow mellow song this way we can see what you really sound like and maybe we can help you find songs in your range.

music_junky7LEVEL 43

Reply by music_junky7GOLD

I wonder if you'd get a lot of benefit from doing some vocal exercises. I have a great course i bought from the songbird tree. Its a woman so i don't know if that would hold you back at all but she goes into everything you need including relaxation and how to produce sound in a healthy way. As to warm ups they don't come much better than Mark Baxter who's videos are free on youtube. You may learn a lot just from doing those. Kerri on thesongbirdtree.com also has plenty of free videos but i her course has been invaluable to me. It wasn't expensive when i bought just the audio course i don't think you need to buy a video course.

Aaccha

Yes, I found Kerri's videos two years ago when I decided to get back into singing. I also have her program and it is excellent!

By the way, I am going to post here in a little while because I still have trouble with my own voice.

Cinderella80LEVEL 73

Reply by Cinderella80GOLD

I listened to your three recordings, which song choice wise were very different in style and tempo. The commonality that I found in each of your performances is that I didn't feel like you owned the song as you were singing it. It sounded like you were a bit unsure of yourself Don't be. Just sing from the heart, all out. Im not a perfect singer, but I sing out the emotions as they come to me, it's not always perfect, but it's real.