Singing Lessons Again !!!

This topic is listed in Singing & Songwriting Tips. It has been viewed 794 times and 13 replies have been made.

ArchangelGabriel2018LEVEL 56

Post by ArchangelGabriel2018GOLD

Well I used to be a great singer. But at the moment my confidence and self esteem has gone right down. My Loving Partner who is honest heard one of my recordings and said I hold back on the song because of self confidence. I didn't know stress can effect the voice. Has anyone else had this issue ?

VitaminDeeLEVEL 97

Reply by VitaminDeePATRON +3

Well I used to be a great singer. But at the moment my confidence and self esteem has gone right down. My Loving Partner who is honest heard one of my recordings and said I hold back on the song because of self confidence. I didn't know stress can effect the voice. Has anyone else had this issue ?Fox2015

YES- If i am stressed, it is like my vocal cords have a panic attack. I lose my speaking/singing voice instantly and any one thing can prevent me from just letting go and singing.

I have to make a decision to just "shut up" and sing

MY own mind can be my worst enemy!

Annie_MusicLEVEL 101

Edited reply by Annie_MusicGOLD

Yes I agree, stress and any health condition can affect singing. On the other hand, singing can help for stress and health
But if ill, it can take some time to get back to full singing, as it happened to me last year, and I'd try to sing and then realize I had to wait. It took awhile.

ImaChristian2

Reply by ImaChristian2 +2

With all due respect, the two above replies are from Ladies who can sing anything, and sound, really good, even when they are sick, I have heard them both sing with colds, so Trust me. I listened to you and you have a beautiful voice. If you want confidence listen to the two girls, who commented above, and know they are very, very talented, and figure they set the bar for you. LOL You'll never sing better in your life.! LOL! Im not a singer, Im a comedian, but theres plenty of those here too! Good luck!

Annie_MusicLEVEL 101

Reply by Annie_MusicGOLD

Thanks for the kindness Ima Love your singing gf! and Fox has a pretty voice too!! Right on girls! We go go go go!!

Have fun singing

Merry Christmas Best Wishes

ArchangelGabriel2018LEVEL 56

Reply by ArchangelGabriel2018GOLD

Hi thanks everyone for your lovely comments. I have finally found out that I'm suffering vocal trauma from Post trauma due to an incident. It makes so much sense now. Being on singsnap is a good medicine. I was told it takes time and vocal warm ups my voice return to normal. You. But thank you so much for your encouragement

socomicefoxLEVEL 62

Edited reply by socomicefox

Well I used to be a great singer. But at the moment my confidence and self esteem has gone right down. My Loving Partner who is honest heard one of my recordings and said I hold back on the song because of self confidence. I didn't know stress can effect the voice. Has anyone else had this issue ?Fox2015

Different for me. When I am feeling awful or down sometimes my best friend becomes the microphone I sing in. When I am having a bad day I will sing and try to get to cheering up. Does it take time for a voice to return to normal? Of course warm ups help in anytime you sing. But yea if you take a break from singing and then come back you have to work your voice back to where it was before. Best of luck to you. Also to add this. Make sure you sing the right songs that fit your voice dont challenge yourself to much if you are struggling with a certain song that is a way to ruin your voice.

juliaganLEVEL 1

Edited reply by juliagan

music_junky7LEVEL 42

Reply by music_junky7

Well I used to be a great singer. But at the moment my confidence and self esteem has gone right down. My Loving Partner who is honest heard one of my recordings and said I hold back on the song because of self confidence. I didn't know stress can effect the voice. Has anyone else had this issue ?ArchangelGabriel2018

A hundred million times yes! This same thing happened to me. I still think I sang much, much better ten or even fifteen years ago than I do now, and I think it's all psychological. Over the past ten or so years, my self-esteem has taken a big hit, and I've lost a whole lot of confidence due to various circumstances in my life. I didn't realize how much that had affected my singing until I made some recordings on here, with each one sounding, at least to me, worse and worse. Granted, my voice wasn't exactly bad in itself; the problem was that I kept holding back where in my teenage years I would just belt for hours and not care who heard me.

On another note, yes, stress can cause tension throughout your body, which in turn causes the sound to be absorbed, which makes for some pretty weak singing. That's why a lot of voice teachers recommend tension-relieving exercises as a first step to warming up the voice.

mattramseymusicLEVEL 6

Reply by mattramseymusic

Hey Archangel,

Totally understand the lack of confidence when you sing.
I see it all the time with my students.

Have you learned how to sing with vibrato?

I've noticed that many of my students' confidence skyrocket when they learn how to add the effect.

In case you're interested in learning how:
https://www.ramseyvoice.com/how-to-sing-vibrato/

TOMILLERLEVEL 55

Reply by TOMILLERGOLD

Hey Archangel,

Totally understand the lack of confidence when you sing.
I see it all the time with my students.

Have you learned how to sing with vibrato?

I've noticed that many of my students' confidence skyrocket when they learn how to add the effect.

In case you're interested in learning how:
http://www.ramseyvoice.com/how-to-sing-vibrato/mattramseymusic

Wow!!! A lot of great info here!!! Thanks Matt!!!
Tom

mattramseymusicLEVEL 6

Reply by mattramseymusic

Of course Tom, my pleasure!

You can tell I love to write.

By the way, this is probably my most complete article on How to Sing.
Vibrato is one of the big ones on there: https://www.ramseyvoice.com/how-to-sing/

TOMILLERLEVEL 55

Reply by TOMILLERGOLD

Of course Tom, my pleasure!

You can tell I love to write.

By the way, this is probably my most complete article on How to Sing.
Vibrato is one of the big ones on there: http://www.ramseyvoice.com/how-to-sing/mattramseymusic

This is a wealth of information, Matt. I've bookmarked it and going to go through it very carefully. Again thank you!!!
Tom

mattramseymusicLEVEL 6

Reply by mattramseymusic

You got it Tom.

I hope you find it helpful, not overwhelming.

I know it's a lot!

But there are so many parts to great singing, I wanted to make sure it was all there.