This topic is listed in Vocal Help, Tips & Critique.
It has been viewed 1,642 times and 33 replies have been made.

donnyxxx

Post by donnyxxx

ive been on singsnap for about 3 months now and i really would ike people to be honest when they leave me comments.....i know i cant sing , everyone knows i cant sing...but ill never improve if people keep saying i did a good job when its obvious i havent.....criticism is often helpful in improving quality of recordings..if im crap...tell me im crap...im a big boy ..i can take it....lol......basically though.....being honest and saying where one goes wrong in a song will help the singer to improve..stop bein so nice..

ChrisKennedy

Edited reply by ChrisKennedy

everyone licks ass on here... in a nice way of course

people get offended otherwise!!

ChrisKennedy

Reply by ChrisKennedy

I totally agree with you though

ShyLynn

Reply by ShyLynn

Donny, you're a breath of fresh air, but no one is going to risk "being honest" to a stranger on here. People will take your head off if you rate less than a 5. Can you imagine if you dared to suggest they were less than perfect or could be impoved in anyway?? Good grief, world war 3! I'm in agreement with you, but I don't know how what your asking could be accomplished. How about putting on EACH and EVERY song that you really do want to be critiqued (nicely, of course) and that you'd welcome suggestions? If people are scared to seem mean, they could do it only in PM. Just remember that you ASKED people to be honest. So don't get mad or offended if you get a comment you don't like. I'll be by to listen. I hardly EVER give out 5s and really hate the use of the word awesome, so be forwarned.

Glizzie

Reply by Glizzie

Please don't tell me the truth. lol. I suggest you just add "Honest critique, please" or something short and sweet like that to your song note. Also, keep in mind a lot of us aren't trained or qualified to give real vocal critique and may not have the time to do so anyway, so would rather just find something nice to say.

ShyLynn

Reply by ShyLynn

Donny, I just listened to your "Honey". Who has told you that you can't sing? I am being completely honest when I say, you have an extremely pleasant voice that is very easy to listen too. I enjoyed every note. And I am NOT being nice.

Glizzie, you mean you didn't want me to tell you the truth all this time? Oh no, am I in trouble now. LOL

hey_Steve

Reply by hey_Steve

Yeah, unearned praise can be unnerving... you feel like youre fooling all these people, lol. I keep telling people i'm whiny when i hit the really high notes and they just ignore it.
Unsolicited critical remarks ain't nice either. They just flatten you down and take away your joy, hahaha.

Better do as Monique and Glizzie say - put it down that you want to be critiqued. In that way you get what you deserve, hahaha.

scarlettohall

Reply by scarlettohallGOLD

I understand what you're saying Donnie. But, as some of the others have said. You give people honest critique and most of them are ready to kill you. LOL
I myself..love hearing that I'm wonderful, awesome, fabulous..etc.etc. BUT, not unless it's the truth. So, I do agree with you. It's a shame that people can't just be honest.

hey_Steve

Edited reply by hey_Steve

Well unless you say specifically that you want honest, really honest opinion, people will remain on the side of being nice. Who wants to have enemies? We're all here to have a good time.

ShyLynn

Reply by ShyLynn

And to be honest myself, it gives the "giver" sort of a downer feeling to always be critiquing. The guilt sets in, even if the person asked for the critique. No decent person WANTS to make someone else feel bad. Hence the dilemma. (tried 3 times to spell that word; nothing looks right!) LOL I have been tempted at times to tell the really tone deaf the truth, but I don't want to be mean, so I just click off without commenting. But NEVER will I say they were awesome. That's just cruel.

GuyC

Reply by GuyC

Okay, I'm gonna go and listen to one of your songs and give you my honest opinion. Will be back to let everyone know what I think. Not that my criticism mean a whole heap of donkey doo!!! :OP

GuyC

Reply by GuyC

Knockin' On Heavens Door/Guns 'n Roses

Okay.... If you were trying to do Bob Dylan I would say it was fairly close. But, it needs to be a little dirtier sounding. Does that make sense? Overall, your tone is pretty well bang on and it wasn't horrible. I actually saw Bob Dylan in concert about 4 years ago, and I can honestly say you sounded 100 times better than he did LOL

Fair criticism yes???

hey_Steve

Reply by hey_Steve

Guy, if you give me a mean but honest opinion, I will delete you, hahahaha.

"Please be kind- Rewind". Replay the song and see if you can find some good things about my singing too.

LOL

Cynds

Reply by CyndsGOLD

Ok Donny... I just listened to "Knocking On Heavens Door"
I am not a critic, I am not a singer, I only have an ok voice , I do love to listen to music though!... but I will say, you did just fine.. honest opinion... you were on key and played the guitar as well!

You have a very pleasant voice!

Glizzie

Reply by Glizzie

LOL, Monique...I guess I mean I know my limitations, so I'd just as soon not hear about them every time I sing...I'm more interested in how my songs make people feel than a technical critique. I try to be honest in my comments, but I will only say things I really mean. If I honestly can't find a single nice thing to say, I won't comment, but I'm easy to please...your voice doesn't have to be perfect or even on pitch for me to enjoy your song if it's entertaining or inspiring to me in some other way.

Glizzie

Reply by Glizzie

LOL @ hey_Steve's "Please be kind - rewind."

donnyxxx

Reply by donnyxxx

jeez..i am amazed at all the respose i have recieven in here,,never been in messageboard before..and i thank you all for taking the time to discuss it with me....the thing about nice comments and criticised comments is that if everyone is being nice to me then ill never know if i can sing or not...i mean i did some really shitty ones on purpose to see what response i got, and still, theyre all good awesome wtg replies...lol.....id rather they said, my pitch was wrong, i was outa tune, or i was totally crap.....i mean ya wouldnt put a dime in a jukebox to play a crappy song....i do have fun on here but i want to have fun trying to do somethng right, and that is singing.......id just like people to tell me aqs it is an not be just nice...lol....buthey..thank you all for your interest in this topic......i love doin duets so if anyone has an open duet i can join in , please let me know.....i dont sound as bad when theres 2 people singin.....it kinda makes me souns a little better doin just half the song....lol..once again yal...thank you ever so much......and sayin i was better than bob dylan..well.my heads gettin bigger already...cheers..xxx

peachygurl

Reply by peachygurlGOLD

Donny, what I found tends to work well on improving is to find some people that are willing to give you constructive feedback and specifically ask them to do so via PM. I have done that and it didn't hurt my feelings at all that way because I was being VERY specific who and how I asked. I got some great tips that way. I still suck as far as my singing goes but the sucking is not as pronounced. ;o)

As far as duets, I leave that option open most of the time if anyone dares to try to contend with my caterwauling.

mel

Reply by melGOLD

I was at a Karaoke Festival this weekend, and the jury WAS plain honest. I was frightened LOL. They were even insulting sometimes! Actually I like it better here on SingSnap

donnyxxx

Reply by donnyxxx

i wouldnt mind if simon cowell was judging me......he tells it as it is.....and any comment wether good or bad, will not dishearten me...i can take the insults...lol..xxx

annie44

Reply by annie44

Donny, what I found tends to work well on improving is to find some people that are willing to give you constructive feedback and specifically ask them to do so via PM. I have done that and it didn't hurt my feelings at all that way because I was being VERY specific who and how I asked. I got some great tips that way. I still suck as far as my singing goes but the sucking is not as pronounced. ;o)

As far as duets, I leave that option open most of the time if anyone dares to try to contend with my caterwauling. peachygurl

sorry i have to disagree you dont suck!!! your rapping is kickn expecially missy song so there how you like dem apples or should i say peaches lol

peachygurl

Reply by peachygurlGOLD

Annie, I lubz ya to pieces! I can rap a heckva lot betta than I sing. What is so funny about that to me is I didn't even learn to rap until I was in my mid 40's. I did it to prove to someone that a middle aged white chick COULD rap. LOLOLOL

As far as my singing, I make no pretense about it. I am way too nasal most of the time due primarily to a deviated septum and chronic sinus issues. My diction is the pits. I have improved on my breath control. I mention these specifics in support of what Donny said about how constructive input CAN help you improve. In the beginning, I could hear I didn't like how I sounded but could not put my finger on what it was that was off. Now that I know more of what to concentrate on improving, I can work on it if I feel like it.

Cheekylilvixen

Reply by CheekylilvixenGOLD

Well, good to know you can take the criticism and insults but on here, when one puts up a song a day or many songs a day and wants honesty every time, it can slowly cut you down to pieces. You may say BRING IT ON, right now but you may change your mind later LOL So, like others have said, type " honest criticisms" on your song input. May be don't ask for it on every song but perhaps on songs that you would really like to improve on. Have a nice day!

bbetty

Reply by bbettyPATRON

One time I didn't sing, there wasn't even background music, I just made a quick 20 second info announcment about some topic, I was sick, or going on vacation, I can't remember which...but I got a handful of folks literally compliment my singing on it. THEY SPECIFICALLY COMMENTED: You sang this beautifully, WTG etc, several peeps did ......

LMAO...;o)

Glizzie

Reply by Glizzie

LOL Betty --- busted!!

Shadowlands75

Reply by Shadowlands75

True critiques:

It isn't necessarily about vocal talent...rather performance.

I get enough of that at the boundless musical auditions I attend!

Shadowlands75

Reply by Shadowlands75

One time I didn't sing, there wasn't even background music, I just made a quick 20 second info announcment about some topic, I was sick, or going on vacation, I can't remember which...but I got a handful of folks literally compliment my singing on it. THEY SPECIFICALLY COMMENTED: You sang this beautifully, WTG etc, several peeps did ......

LMAO...;o)

bipolarbetty

I'm not complainin' - When I 1st joined here I couldn't PAY anyone 2 listen to me.

GuyC

Reply by GuyC

Just hoping I wasn't out of line on my comments is all

musiclovinchicklet

Reply by musiclovinchicklet

I believe there was another thread on here about someone being nasty in their comments and people didn't appreciate it.......I guess honesty is the best policy, but on here, this is for fun, why would I say to someone..."ouch, that hurt the ears", when they were trying their best (other wise why save it) This is a site for everyone to have fun....we get enough critism in our lives everyday, I don't think people come on here for negitivity? Just my opinion....Have fun all!

AngelMagicMuse

Reply by AngelMagicMuse

i gave you my truthful opinon donny and it was still nice at the same time so it can be done to give advice on what people could improve on and still be kind

ShyLynn

Reply by ShyLynn

Angel, I gave you my truthful opinion once (on another site) that you ASKED me repeatedly to give you and never heard from you again. Even when one is kind, most people just don't like to be told anything negative about their singing.

donnyxxx

Reply by donnyxxx

your comments guy made me have a big head for ages......thank you,,it was nice of u to say,, and next time i do it tomorrow, i will try and make it as dirtier as i can.....lol...thanks again mate

AngelMagicMuse

Reply by AngelMagicMuse

don't make it too dirty donny haha kidding fella

donnyxxx

Reply by donnyxxx

lol........i heard that mariah carey DONT DO STAIRS.....no hope of her visiting me then cos my pcs on the first floor.....lol......oh well........will someone tell terry to add working class hero by john lennon then i can do my masterpiece....lol

Topic Closed
This topic has been closed and will not receive any new replies.