Please rate my singing

This topic is listed in Promotion. It has been viewed 210 times and 9 replies have been made.

Taybeck21LEVEL 6

Post by Taybeck21

I'm very shy but just entered my first contest. Both links are below from round 1 and 2. Any feedback is appreciated!

- Redneck Woman

- Girl Crush

ZZ-EdLEVEL 64

Reply by ZZ-EdGOLD

I'm very shy but just entered my first contest. Both links are below from round 1 and 2. Any feedback is appreciated!

Taybeck21

Feedback? OK.

Voice...quite good.

Performance? Too much movement. IMHO.
What you do with your arms/hands is too much for me.
Very distracting.
Some movement is fine but it should be subtle unless it comes naturally with a particular part of the song. You need to be feeling and understanding the song and communicating it with your voice. Facial expression. Body language. etc.
But it is my observation that your arms and hands seem to have a mind of their own and are doing all kinds of things to distract the audience.

Just my opinion.

But, what do I know?

Anna-ReaLEVEL 96

Reply by Anna-Rea

Taybeck21

Feedback? OK.

Voice...quite good.

Performance? Too much movement. IMHO.
What you do with your arms/hands is too much for me.
Very distracting.
Some movement is fine but it should be subtle unless it comes naturally with a particular part of the song. You need to be feeling and understanding the song and communicating it with your voice. Facial expression. Body language. etc.
But it is my observation that your arms and hands seem to have a mind of their own and are doing all kinds of things to distract the audience.

Just my opinion.

But, what do I know? ZZ-Ed

Agrees with all you've said.

I enjoyed the performance as long as I didn't watch the video.

ArtimusHexLEVEL 58

Reply by ArtimusHexPATRON

Given that you opened this post with "I'm very shy" that may explain why you move your arms a lot while on stage, don't let that bother you, just try and tone the movement down a little, Hey you nailed the songs otherwise.

I for one can never step on stage, my movements would make young kids cry,
you can see that in most of my sings here lol.

My advice, practice singing in front of a mirror, train yourself not to swing your arms so much, imagine you are singing to a loved one, sway to the music and soon you will be a natural.

Best of luck to you

sabathielLEVEL 41

Edited reply by sabathiel

There is nothing wrong with moving your hands but the movement has to be done with meaning and purpose not movements that are devoid of any real meaning or purpose. Meaning and purpose can be derived from the lyrics or the music.

For example in this live performance by Adele when the lyrics state "I" she puts her hand on her chest indicating the effect of the hand gesture to the word "I". This is movement with meaning and purpose. And during the word "fire" the hands creates the effect of a flame burning. It doesn't have to be the same all the time as you can vary the hand gestures for the same word but the impact has to be clear in that you are communicating the song rather than awkward uncontrollable movements. Michael Jackson used his body and hands like a singing demon but the impact of his movement blends in in harmony with the song and music.

Again in this Adele clip towards the end she did a finger gesture that is not related to the lyric but to the music. She pointed her index finger up and rising up as she was going to hit a high note. This is also movement with meaning and purpose as this was done for stage effect rather than lyrics effect. Be conscious at all times of your movement as purpose and meaning can only come from a conscious act or even sub-conscious acts. Practicing in the mirror will help you see how good or not so good your movements will come across. Practice with the music playing in the background and imagine you are performing the song if you are lip synching to the original record. Sometimes less is more so don't overdo it. It also depends on your personality....and what you feel during the song. Sometimes with heartfelt touching ballads standing still in front of the microphone does the job and simply using various facial expressions throughout the song is enough to enhance the emotional effects from the song.

Even better still if you can record yourself singing on video and watch the video back to see if the movements work with the song or not.......whether the movement enhances the song or distracts from it. It is touch and go, trial and error......you don't quite know what works with the song until you actually try it and watch or listen to it back. Every singer is an actor but don't just act......BE WHAT THE SONG WANTS YOU TO BE.....the song is boss......connect with it and you will connect with the audience by default.....you are its humble servant! Serve the song.

sabathielLEVEL 41

Edited reply by sabathiel

This is a probably a better video in terms of hand gestures. Watch how every hand gesture is done with conviction, meaning and purpose. The gestures are not only done with authority but they are also regal. They enhance the song rather than undermine it. When Whitney was at her best in the late 80s and early to mid 90s no one could touch her or come close....not Streisand, not Celine, not Mariah, not Christina....she was simply the GOAT!

Taybeck21LEVEL 6

Reply by Taybeck21

Thank you all for the feedback! Gives me a lot to work on before the finals this month!

ButcherbhoyLEVEL 68

Reply by ButcherbhoyCHAT-ADMIN +1

You have no public recordings on Singsnap?

ButcherbhoyLEVEL 68

Reply by ButcherbhoyCHAT-ADMIN +1

I take it this topic is to promote yourself on youtube?

Taybeck21LEVEL 6

Reply by Taybeck21

I take it this topic is to promote yourself on youtube?Butcherbhoy

It was really just to get some feedback for the contest I'm in..I'm sorry if that's not allowed.