Catfish Anyone?

This topic is listed in General Discussion. It has been viewed 6,354 times and 238 replies have been made.

Next >>
NovellaLEVEL 111

Post by NovellaSTAFF +17

by -Tina

Do Not Take A Bite!

Have you ever wondered why people make fake identities online claiming to be something or someone they are not ? The anonymity of the internet gives people the freedom to completely re-invent their lives. Therefore, some people like to use this opportunity to project an idealized version of themselves or at least customize their virtual self.

People can do this, as unlike in real life, A catfish is someone who creates a false online identity. Catfishing is common on social networking and online dating sites. Sometimes a catfish's sole purpose is to engage in a fantasy. Sometimes, however, the catfish's intent is to defraud a victim, seek revenge or commit identity theft.

Catfishing: When someone pretends to be someone they are not online to create false identities, often to pursue deceptive online romances.

The term originated from a television show called Catfish. Catfishing, believe it or not, happens everywhere in our society. Due to the ever-increasing access to the Internet and social media, it is actually very easy to do. All you need is 1. A computer screen to hide behind, 2. Fake pictures, and 3. The audacity to lie. Anyone could do it, and it could happen to anybody. (We do NOT encourage you do this!)

Since people can hide behind their computers, they are able to pretend they are living their ideal life. It's also the reason why online bullying is increasing in frequency. The false persona allows perpetrators to pursue someone they may find special without rejection or spew sentiments they would be afraid to say in real life.

To some degree, it's a way of living out an enjoyable fantasy, but obviously you're just enjoying the idea. You're not really doing it. Experts agreed that there are many reasons why someone might want to fool a person online, from playing a practical joke to more harmful reasons. If you want to pursue an online relationship, Experts advised to be careful by not sharing your address with someone you just met or intimate details before you truly know someone. I think what is really important is to really protect your feelings before becoming emotionally involved.

Has this ever happened to you or someone you know? What do you do to protect yourself from being Catfished? Have YOU ever been tempted to Catfish someone?

Thanks For Sharing Your Stories!

ChadCLEVEL 63

Reply by ChadCGOLD +1

MaxyWaxyLEVEL 97

Reply by MaxyWaxyGOLD

All sounds so familiar....

-Bev-LEVEL 104

Reply by -Bev-SPECIAL-EVENTS +2

Wowwww a fabulous and most informative article Tina...blinking eck...I have come across so many catfish ...even here on SS...I usually can suss em out though...and know they are fake....I am not such an old fool!!! However, it is awful when some are taken in by them...but these people hold no shame...they dont care if they wreck lives ...Thanks for bringing this article to us Tina....a GREAT read!!

Sunny_KLEVEL 101

Reply by Sunny_KSPECIAL-EVENTS +1

Excellent article!

Sunny_KLEVEL 101

Reply by Sunny_KSPECIAL-EVENTS +1

I have a friend that has lost so much money over the years because she continuously gets duped by catfish. She's a sweet person with a huge trusting heart, unfortunately that makes her an easy target.

ButcherbhoyLEVEL 72

Reply by ButcherbhoyGOLD

Nae faking here,what ye see,is what ye get,a daft Scotsman,lol

trojan55LEVEL 111

Reply by trojan55PATRON +8

#BADGEBUSTER

To a Catfish, the size of the worm doesn't matter ..

MissMass72

Edited reply by MissMass72PATRON +1

What's with all this rain in California??? In May?? We still have snow in the Sierras too! Crazy!

Yes...I too was a victim on a dating site. But after researching by cross referencing with a corporate link up site, found the guy was impersonating someone else. Had the pleasure of confronting the catfisher...then..BLOCKED!

Even if you see someone on here on webcam which will show you what they look like, it doesnt mean you will know them as a person...only an impression they feed you which could still be based on lies and deception. Be careful my friends!! #flyingsolo#singlebychoice#alonebuthappy#

cannotsing24LEVEL 106

Reply by cannotsing24GOLD +7

Am so happy that you share this with us SingSnap
I had a lot of Catfish and still having and saving
some I sent to you highlighted still going through
Cyber bulling where am told a lot of unkind things
am now off from contest to,,,,,,,,,,,,,thank you so much

JulesLEVEL 97

Reply by JulesGOLD +1

An excellent article, Tina. When you hear all the horror stories about this happening, it makes me glad that I'm not a mother. I don't think I could sleep easy at night knowing that my child could be subject to this type of thing.

For me, I'm very careful who I connect with and share information with, but that doesn't mean it won't happen to me. It just means that (hopefully) the impact will be lower if it ever happens.

It's sad that people feel the need to prey on others in this way, but I think this type of thing will only get worse as more and more people rely on the internet as their main or only source of social life.

Let's hope that the positive experiences on the internet (at least on SingSnap anyway!) continue to outweigh the negative.

Long live SingSnap!

DaisyTeaLEVEL 99

Edited reply by DaisyTea

Thank you for this article, Tina.

I know of someone on this site who is very good at being a Catfish. He has fooled many women on here; 6 that I know of.

It is sad and I feel sorry for him. People like this have very low self esteem.

My advise is this : Be smart about it. It is easy to hide behind a computer, so in the beginning, ask to meet him in person.

And remember....Hey, it is ALL KARMA.

Anna-ReaLEVEL 99

Edited reply by Anna-ReaGOLD +3

Yes this has happened to me many times but not by any strangers it happened to me by someone that I knew and cared about over and again. I trust to easily .

How do I protect myself now ?
Trust no one unless I hear their voice. Give no one any information about myself that could he damaging.

Great article...

SingingRainbowLEVEL 106

Reply by SingingRainbowSPECIAL-EVENTS +5

J&D's Country girls @ heart#98 in auditions NOW! Click here ladies!

Awesome article Sweet T~ Great work!! xoxo This sadly happens to lots of people out there in the cyber world.

Me_JoyceLEVEL 108

Edited reply by Me_JoyceGOLD +10

Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet.

This and harassment, happens on SS all too often and all we can do is, block them....They should have to leave....Some are dangerous.....But I digress...
It isn't always just men.....It goes both ways.....Sad to say.....
I've heard of, some women, who do this, to get guys to send them things...Such as jewelry, flowers, money and gold accounts......There's one who has faked her accent and country...Who got these things....
One lady got a computer from a married man.....This she told me from her own mouth, then blocked me.....Maybe she thought I would warn the guy....he wouldn't have believed me, if I had told him.....
One acts like, she is down on her luck, so she can get her gold paid for.....She told me, "Of course I can afford to pay it, but why would I, when it makes others feel good, to pay for my gold"....
This was after she asked me, to pay for her gold and I asked, why she doesn't pay for her own....(I don't have the mic set up she does).....But she has had her gold paid for, many times...
They play on, other's kindness and good hearts.....
The ones I hate, are the ones who don't ever listen to your song.. they just head to the PM's and think they have the right, to talk filth to you, because you are online...
But what do you do? ignore them, block them.....They just go get a blue account and harass you....We all know this happens...

Excellent article, BTW...I'm glad it was brought up....

--AItaliaBella--LEVEL 103

Reply by --AItaliaBella--GOLD +5

MOTHERHOOD THE HIGHEST CALLING 4 A WOMAN. SOMEDAY I WILL BE LIKE MY MOM HAPPY MOM's DAY

i practically grew up here. pure clean safe fun! just because they listen once or twice they judge you they knew you already. i have helped many times but I do not expect things in return. I am happy I was able to help. But then I grew up help them today but what about tomorrow? reaizing its a reckless world. fancier technology fancier cat fishing. but I still trust Singsnap that I will be safe here. I was aked many time what Am I doing here. just to sing. I have Heart condition that I can not go out nor go to public places.....as much as I wanted to Immune system is low. I put my car key or my car to cope pretending i am going out. but how the mentality. just simple common sense.Different people, different walks of life. I love music sad tho to use the music to bully some one. because of insecurity, jealousy.i am alright I just take it as a compliment. but I refused to be trashed down. so I got the option to blocked, delete nor to listen at all thank you Singsnap. for keeping me happy, Safe and secured that i could proudly say this is my home.

0neVoice

Edited reply by 0neVoiceGOLD +7

Thank U for the loves peoples! =:-) Happy singing!!~~~~BRB

...and this why I have problems with other people on the internet. Most people use the internet just for that...I'm the opposite of that. I use the internet to be me and only me! What you see or how I act on here or anywhere else on the net is nothing but me...What I say on here I will tell it to your face. I hate people who hide behind their cameras or their aliases just to troll around because they are so miserable. I'm like daphunk? lmfao
I'm sick and tired of telling people I'm 52 and that I have 2 kids (Adults now) a boy and a girl both in their 30's both established and with careers. I've been with the same gentleman and married for the last 31+ years....I'm sick and tired of telling people I'm a breast cancer survivor and I live with lymphedema. People usually ask..why don't you go on TV or contests with that voice? I just tell them the truth..I'be been on stage and on a runway and even on TV (on and off) during my teens & part of my twenties, but it does not matter what I tell them I still get dirty azz PMs telling me on how I'm lying about all of this and about my age...so ya know something? As you see it doesn't matter what you tell them or what you show them....Nowadays, If you are a lying troll it's cool, and if you tell the truth and know who you are...then they are gonna hate and tell you that you lie and turn the whole thing around!! So f*ck what people think...I ain't playing that game and I'm not here to make anyone like me or love me, and I can only be me even when I'm roll playing/ in character to make a video. Heck! That's still me and I love it! So to the ones who keep PM'ing me with hate. Stop the crap and NO I AIN'T like you...I don't pretend to be anything but what I am! I've been through stuff that a lot of other people didn't survive.... being a cancer survivor... Why should I bother myself with trying to be someone else?....Wat a joke!! and I hate the victim or petty card. I ain't a victim or play one EVER! but I ain't backing down when I'm being attacked. It's because of people never saying anything and trying to keep the peace that problems get bigger because no one ever addresses them. Just sayin... losers will be losers...

I Loved this....Finally someone bringing up REAL issues and truth. Thank you...Mwah!

LET'S ROCK!!!!
And to the persons who called me a FAKE and a wanna'Be...
I can't fake my voice or the way I look or my personality when I'm on camera, or in person, or on the internet, or in real life...sorry to burst your bubble but...
THIS HERE IS GONNA SHINE and your approval is not needed

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

Amazing info... thank you for this girls! Love ya

SadieBabesLEVEL 111

Reply by SadieBabesGOLD +1

MissMass72

What's with all this rain in California??? In May?? We still have snow in the Sierras too! Crazy!

...and this why I have problems with other people on the internet. Most people use the internet just for that...I'm the opposite of that. I use the internet to be me and only me! What you see or how I act on here or anywhere else on the net is nothing but me...What I say on here I will tell it to your face. I hate people who hide behind their cameras or their aliases just to troll around because they are so miserable. I'm like daphunk? lmfao
I'm sick and tired of telling people I'm 52 and that I have 2 kids (Adults now) a boy and a girl both in their 30's both established and with careers. I've been with the same gentleman and married for the last 31+ years....I'm sick and tired of telling people I'm a breast cancer survivor and I live with lymphedema. People usually ask..why don't you go on TV or contests with that voice? I just tell them the truth..I'be been on stage and on a runway and even on TV (on and off) during my teens & part of my twenties, but it does not matter what I tell them I still get dirty azz PMs telling me on how I'm lying about all of this and about my age...so ya know something? :0 As you see it doesn't matter what you tell them or what you show them....Nowadays, If you are a lying troll it's cool, and if you tell the truth and know who you are...then they are gonna hate and tell you that you lie and turn the whole thing around!! So f*ck what people think...I ain't playing that game and I'm not here to make anyone like me or love me, and I can only be me even when I'm roll playing/ in character to make a video. Heck! That's still me and I love it! So to the ones who keep PM'ing me with hate. Stop the crap and NO I AIN'T like you...I don't pretend to be anything but what I am! I've been through stuff that other people don't survive being a cancer survivor... Why should I bother myself with trying to be someone else?....Wat a joke!! That's for losers... I Loved this....Finally someone bringing up REAL issues and truth. Thank you...Mwah!

LET'S ROCK!!!!
And to the persons who called me a FAKE and a wanna'Be...
I can't fake my voice or the way I look or my personality when I'm on camera or on person or on the internet or in real life...sorry to burst your bubble but THIS HERE IS GONNA SHY and your approval is not needed weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

Amazing info... thank you0neVoice

DITTO ALL THAT!! EVEN PORTUGUESE POWER, except for the married 50s part, soon 65 and forever single now!!

0neVoice

...and... 0neVoice

DITTO ALL THAT!! EVEN PORTUGUESE POWER MissMass72

Hey thanks Miss! and that's good for you...what might work for others might not work for me Single is cool and so is marriage of 30+ years...He's awesome and I'm in love with my girlfriend...as you see we are all different. Don't judge me I won't judge you LOL

The reason why I wrote this here today is because....I've been getting a lot of MP BS hence why I had to clear a couple of points! and Tina is right ...most people use the internet for bull sh*t! I've been on the internet since 1995 (my first computer) Never once did I stop being myself...
My catfish is delish with olive oil

Mwah

MissMass72

...and... 0neVoice

Hey thanks Miss! I've been getting a lot of MP BS hence why I had to clear a couple of points! and Tina is right ...most people use the internet for bull sh*t!
I've been on the internet since 1995 (my first computer) Never once did I stop being myself...

Mwah0neVoice

Hi there! Been online since '99..crazy times for sure, but have also met some dear friends as well. No point in being any more or less than who we are. I have to be truthful, the lies are too hard to remember these days!! LOLLL..still living with cancer myself, but the key word is LIVING!!
... stay happy and healthy my friend. xx
Marie

0neVoice

...and... 0neVoice

Hey thanks Miss! I've been getting a lot of MP BS hence why I had to clear a couple of points! and Tina is right ...most people use the internet for bull sh*t!
I've been on the internet since 1995 (my first computer) Never once did I stop being myself...

Mwah0neVoice

Hi there! Been online since '99..crazy times for sure, but have also met some dear friends as well. No point in being any more or less than who we are. I have to be truthful, the lies are too hard to remember these days!! LOLLL..still living with cancer myself, but the key word is LIVING!!
MarieMissMass72

Nah don't say that dear....the lies are what the trolls remember the most
You too sweetie.....Stay healthy and true!!! No other way to be...
and hey record more please...I would love to see you on camera it'll be so cool to watch!

Love ya guys!!
Mwah Mwah

0neVoice

MissMass72

Reply by MissMass72PATRON +1

...and... 0neVoice

Mwah0neVoice

MarieMissMass72

and hey record more please...I would love to see you on camera it'll be so cool to watch!

Love ya guys!!
Mwah Mwah0neVoice

I have plenty of recent videos like last month...having webcam difficulties, but soon to get a new one...stay tuned xoxo

0neVoice

...and... 0neVoice

Mwah0neVoice

MarieMissMass72

Love ya guys!!
Mwah Mwah0neVoice

I have plenty of recent videos like last month...having webcam difficulties, but soon to get a new one...stay tuned xoxoMissMass72

Aww it'll be so cool!
I want to see what a 65 yr old looks like...I'm sure sexy and awesome!!!
I want to be like you when I get there fer sure....THANK YOU HUN
I will pass by to watch ya soon. I can't wait....

Mwah
Inky

MissMass72

Reply by MissMass72PATRON +1

...and... 0neVoice

Mwah0neVoice

MarieMissMass72

Love ya guys!!
Mwah Mwah0neVoice

I have plenty of recent videos like last month...having webcam difficulties, but soon to get a new one...stay tuned xoxoMissMass72

Aww it'll be so cool!

Mwah
Inky0neVoice

You are always welcome Inky! xx

0neVoice

...and... 0neVoice

Mwah0neVoice

MarieMissMass72

Love ya guys!!
Mwah Mwah0neVoice

Aww it'll be so cool!

Mwah
Inky0neVoice

You are always welcome Inky! xxMissMass72

AWW! You too Miss!!

0neVoice

Reply by 0neVoiceGOLD +7

Thanks Tina for the right positive trigger...
I was in need of clearing certain facts with a few, and way too many LOL
Amazing stuff here! I can't thank you enough....
Now let me go back to billing and fixing my profile page pretty and shhhhtufffffff
*tee hee*

( Sorry about the typos y'all ....way too many when I type too fast )

Mwah!
inky

-TinaLEVEL 106

Reply by -TinaSPECIAL-EVENTS +1

Thanks Everyone

JudyA44LEVEL 71

Reply by JudyA44GOLD +6

Love this

0neVoice

Reply by 0neVoiceGOLD +7

Thanks Everyone -Tina

Tinaaaaaa!!! I just noticed there was a badge for this!!!!!! WOOT WOOT
YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Mwah!
Thanks again!!!!!!!

sweetietlkLEVEL 106

Reply by sweetietlkGOLD

VitaminDeeLEVEL 99

Reply by VitaminDeePATRON +2

Music is therapy- join the Dr SingSnap challenge this Friday May 24th

@-Tina

Great article

thank you

Terri-anneLEVEL 87

Reply by Terri-anneGOLD

Thank you for my cute sun trinket! <3 x

Great Article!

Steve-GLEVEL 91

Edited reply by Steve-GCHAT-ADMIN +1

This needed to be said and is well said. Thank you Shannon.

The virtual world is a great place to meet new people if you take precautions when using social media. NEVER give anybody personal information about you, your family, or where you live until you are satisfied they are really who they say they are or a common friend can vouch for them.

When people are interested in someone they need to take the time and invest some time in getting to know them, just as you would with any other friendship. When sparks start to fly it’s even more important to do so and people who are on the up and up will want to see their friendship blossom into visual contact and meeting each other at some point in time. If your interested friend keeps stalling or putting meeting each other off it’s usually a very good sign that something is amiss. You can investigate that further.. or just let it, and them, go.

I have met several members on the site and a few from the chat room in real life. We continue to be good friends.

LaciLEVEL 107

Reply by LaciGOLD +2

I'm not really your friend until I start insulting you on a daily basis :D

To a Catfish, the size of the worm doesn't matter .. trojan55

lol you crack me up!

Bucks_FizzLEVEL 109

Reply by Bucks_FizzGOLD +2

I find it so sad that people feel the need to lie and con/scam people on line. The problem i find is that it can make me overly suspicious in certain circumstances and I think some times I don't give people a chance.

I wish everyone realised how easy it is to get scammed and be more careful. Sadly too many people fall in to the trap and become victims.

Great information Tina.

__Angels__LEVEL 108

Reply by __Angels__GOLD +1

forum/topic/b91e6174?page=9c1c1

Great article Tina , agree with you in all !!! Thanks you !!!

GlynnisLEVEL 106

Reply by GlynnisGOLD

Thanks, Tina

catfishing - didnt know what that word meant

We are hearing about so many scams besieging our email, computers, and phones.

Scammers can even spoof caller Id and email address source

Thankfully, Answering machines are great to allow the elderly to wait
and check with family members
before responsing to possibly phony: charities, banks, IRS, contest winnings, etc

Like "Monk" says: It's a jungle out there"

0neVoice

To a Catfish, the size of the worm doesn't matter .. trojan55

It really doesn't matter for sure Rich!!! hahahahahaha
Ya know why? Because usually the ones going around making people's life miserable HAVE NO WORMS TO CATFISH!! LMAO

DEEEEEEEEZ NUTS!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA

and I ain't showing them my HUGE WORM....
or else the PMs gonna start all over again...with date offers...
"Oh my gawd you got such a huge worm girlie!" LMAO

...of course if my husband and my girlfriend see this then I will make my videos with a black eye.....so yeah....NO!!! lol Ya feel me?

Goddam it is raining...Can't go no where....someone take me away from this computer LMAO

Bunnykins

Reply by BunnykinsGOLD +4

r/c6a1967a9

Oh boy. Don't even get me started on this one. LOL. I used to work for an online Romantic Scammers site and I've heard every story going. DaisyTea I'm pretty sure I know the one you're talking about. I have seen many here that are well known on other sites too and a couple are even under police investigation right now. You have to be so careful as these guys and gals are very clever.

Misty245LEVEL 94

Reply by Misty245PATRON +3

Excellent article, Tina!

EmSingerLEVEL 52

Reply by EmSingerGOLD

Interesting article!

GentleRaiinLEVEL 104

Reply by GentleRaiinGOLD +3

HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEKEND EVERYONE!! TY FOR ALL THE LOVE AND PRAYERS :) hugs!

A great topic that needs to be at the forefront of any one on the internet.......""they"" are everywhere!! (catfishers).... I love music , singing and listening , that's why I am on SS....I mind my own business and don't give much attention to BS that goes on....lol I cherish my friends I have made and met many in person.....over the years. I have met a few catfishers on singsnap...thankful my antenna's went up quickly. Be careful out in the internet world....it's a game to many!

SoDeeZeeLEVEL 43

Reply by SoDeeZeeGOLD

I am old and probably not tech savy enough to understand catfishing,,,ot maybe it just more cynic as I get older,,,One of those 2 ,so nope,,dont think I have been,,,

Aprildr_47LEVEL 95

Reply by Aprildr_47GOLD +3

Thank you... this happens way too often...I have had a few on here.. sorry to say

0neVoice

I know about 10 of them......who got so mad I DIDN'T GIVE UP THE COOKIE....that they left mad & depressed!!! LMFAO....I ain't easy and neither is my girlfriend and my husband charges too!!!

HELL YEAH! Chit ain't free !!!

They Came...they tried...they gone!! LOL

POOF!

RoseL6557LEVEL 109

Reply by RoseL6557GOLD +2

Thank you, this is valuable information, I have never been catfished, but I dont talk to strangers , I am so blessed for my few friends here. But even with them I am reserved on personal info. There will always be people that will take advantage if they can, online and in the flesh. Guard your friends, personal information of yours and theirs. Dont play them games on fb or twitter, you know the ones that say if your birthday is in Jan your first name is Twinkle, day of birth is the 31st...your middle name is Toes.... wa la. You picked out your b-day and now they have that info. Be wise, be watchful

RockyTopGirl52LEVEL 101

Reply by RockyTopGirl52GOLD +4

Great Article.

KellyAnne4PeaceLEVEL 109

Reply by KellyAnne4PeacePATRON +8

Just don't bait your hook!

DevilessLEVEL 103

Reply by DevilessCHAT-ADMIN +1

seen this happen too many times - great article

Next >>