OMG STOP WITH THE NOISE!

This topic is listed in Off Topic. It has been viewed 329 times and 17 replies have been made.

FnordLEVEL 48

Post by FnordGOLD

My neighbor is always outside with some sort of device, today is a trimmer and some other loud gas powered thing. It's not like our yards are that big, or that we have forests worth of shrubbery to keep trim, I think he just likes the gadgets, so, everything I have recorded today has a yard trimming motor buzzing loudly in the background
and its bugging me

first world problems yes, i know, but still

pls8xx

Reply by pls8xxGOLD

I have a similar problem. The only place I have to sing is a sun room full of windows open to the sound of 14 dogs in the neighborhood, a loud air conditioner, a squeaky chair, sirens from the police and fire trucks, lawn equipment, and interruptions from my wife.

I would never get a recording if I didn't use multi-track recording to filter and cut out the noise.

FnordLEVEL 48

Reply by FnordGOLD

I have a similar problem. The only place I have to sing is a sun room full of windows open to the sound of 14 dogs in the neighborhood, a loud air conditioner, a squeaky chair, sirens from the police and fire trucks, lawn equipment, and interruptions from my wife.

I would never get a recording if I didn't use multi-track recording to filter and cut out the noise.pls8xx

I use my phone. It's all I have. So, don't be surprised if you here Joe Blow mowing his lawn in the chorus of any of my stuff

InvestInPolitics

Reply by InvestInPoliticsGOLD

Closet with the door closed. The clothes hanging there act as a wonderful sound dampener. You could run a mower in the adjoining bedroom and still make a good recording. If you're using your phone to record, it's made for it.

ImaChristian2LEVEL 100

Reply by ImaChristian2GOLD +1 +3

Closet with the door closed. The clothes hanging there act as a wonderful sound dampener. You could run a mower in the adjoining bedroom and still make a good recording. If you're using your phone to record, it's made for it.InvestInPolitics

That happens to be the electric fan you insist I run after I get the lighting just right, so it shows your distinguished,yet ahh.... oh well, whatever it was, Is simplyscottish still in there cutting your hair? You have to pay us extra, ya know. She doesn't care for cramped closets.LOL VERONICA! Just put a bowl on his head and start snipping! We can make time for a dip in his pool If ya hurry! LMBO!

InvestInPolitics

I hate that bowl cut...

Whose next for seven minutes in heaven?!

FnordLEVEL 48

Reply by FnordGOLD

Closet with the door closed. The clothes hanging there act as a wonderful sound dampener. You could run a mower in the adjoining bedroom and still make a good recording. If you're using your phone to record, it's made for it.InvestInPolitics

My closets are full of clothes and in one room full of Paintings and blank canvases. I live in a very tiny home
Where can I get a bowl cut

Steve-GLEVEL 87

Edited reply by Steve-GCHAT-ADMIN

I would never get a recording if I didn't use multi-track recording to filter and cut out the noise.pls8xx

I use my phone. It's all I have. So, don't be surprised if you here Joe Blow mowing his lawn in the chorus of any of my stuffFnord

If you use your phone then you have an opportunity others dont have with less mobile devices. You can sing anywhere Maybe try singing at a park or some quiet area around town Heck you can even add some interesting background scenery.

ImaChristian2LEVEL 100

Reply by ImaChristian2GOLD +1 +3

My closets are full of clothes and in one room full of Paintings and blank canvases. I live in a very tiny home
Where can I get a bowl cutFnord

HAAHAAAHAAAHAAA! AH HAAHAA! This was just too much! Buncha comedian's! Your all the best company ever! LOL!

InvestInPolitics

Found this...

FnordLEVEL 48

Reply by FnordGOLD

So, my house is an old cotton mill house, it was built in the early 60's-
It is 1000 sq ft and the closets are just a tad wider than the door and just deep enough to accommodate a hanger.
Thanks for the link though, once we built our addition I'm going to do probably need to reference it

havingagoLEVEL 75

Edited reply by havingagoGOLD +1

One of my neighbours has some sort of metal grinding machine in his garage that's often on the go, and there are the usual lawnmowers. But the sound doesn't get picked up on my mic thankfully. I live on a main road and the traffic noise is particularly audible and that means I can't record in any of the rooms facing the road.

So I record in my bedroom but the only menace are old floorboards that creak. Sometimes their creaks sound like farts. I could just leave the sound in but then people will assume I have farted. Or I could put in a disclaimer saying that any extraneous noises are not farts but that kind of spoils any sense of decorum for emotional songs. So I have no option but to record again and try to tread lightly and not move an inch. Yeah a bit of a dilemma.

pls8xx

Reply by pls8xxGOLD

If you find that you spend a lot of time re-singing a song because there is an unwanted sound, you might get what you want quicker by doing a multi-track studio recording.

There are several types of unwanted sound that needs fixing.

1. A constant low volume noise from a central air system or loud computer fan. In a studio production you can apply a noise filter to eliminate the unwanted sound.

2. A loud but short sound such as a telephone ringing or a bump on the mic during an instrumental part of the song. In a studio production you can reduce the volume of the unwanted sound to zero to eliminate it.

3. A random flaw in the recording of any kind when you are singing. In a studio production you sing the song multiple times and then select each line you sang to keep from the several tries. All the rest is muted.

FnordLEVEL 48

Reply by FnordGOLD

If you find that you spend a lot of time re-singing a song because there is an unwanted sound, you might get what you want quicker by doing a multi-track studio recording.

There are several types of unwanted sound that needs fixing.

1. A constant low volume noise from a central air system or loud computer fan. In a studio production you can apply a noise filter to eliminate the unwanted sound.

2. A loud but short sound such as a telephone ringing or a bump on the mic during an instrumental part of the song. In a studio production you can reduce the volume of the unwanted sound to zero to eliminate it.

3. A random flaw in the recording of any kind when you are singing. In a studio production you sing the song multiple times and then select each line you sang to keep from the several tries. All the rest is muted.pls8xx

You are super helpful, but I think I'm going to have to be happy with the "noises on" versions of my stuff. I need to be ok with earbuds on an iPhone, in a tiny home, in a busy neighborhood. Hopefully folks that wander by my recordings won't be put off by it.

pls8xx

Reply by pls8xxGOLD

You are super helpful, but I think I'm going to have to be happy with the "noises on" versions of my stuff. I need to be ok with earbuds on an iPhone, in a tiny home, in a busy neighborhood. Hopefully folks that wander by my recordings won't be put off by it.Fnord

If you are happy with your recordings, that's all that matters! But don't bitch at your neighbor.

FnordLEVEL 48

Reply by FnordGOLD

If you are happy with your recordings, that's all that matters! But don't bitch at your neighbor.pls8xx

I wouldn't and haven't. That's why I'm doing it in here. Kvetching because y'all know the deal.
I have asked him to not do it at 7 am on Saturday before- because that's just not cool.

FnordLEVEL 48

Reply by FnordGOLD

If you use your phone then you have an opportunity others dont have with less mobile devices. You can sing anywhere Maybe try singing at a park or some quiet area around town Heck you can even add some interesting background scenery.Steve-G

I decided to embrace the noise, and started singing outside on my patio, my poor poor neighbors lol

jeannetteb

Reply by jeannettebGOLD

And how do you go about doing that?