Backgrounds

This topic is listed in Profile & Thread Design.
It has been viewed 8,442 times and 56 replies have been made.

- Next
BronxBruce

Post by BronxBruce

Why do people use backgrounds?

It has been my experience that 99% of the backgrounds I see do nothing but obscure the comments and make the page take about 75% longer to load. Some of the backgrounds are positively blinding.

Also, there are a few people who use complicated backgrounds and complicated glitter widgets on their home pages. Whenever I visit one of these pages my computer comes to a standstill and it makes it impossible to get to the person's recordings.

I very rarely see a background that improves the experience of visiting a persons page. But I imagine some people must get enjoyment out of them or they wouldn't be all over the place. Can anyone enlighten me?

Binky-

Reply by Binky-GOLD

are you serious? i raerly use one though but I have never had any trouble excep that the type they usually choose is too close to be seen.....lol
when i do us one i use the one i made of singsnap background..... lol im just really simple in reality tooo....

BronxBruce

Edited reply by BronxBruce

Yes, Binky, I am serious. I just tried to listen to two songs. One had a black background with pulsing stars that made it impossible to see anything and the very next one had a pale/white background that had the exact same effect. And I finally gave up waiting for the song to load. This is not a new experience for me.

As to the home page glitter/background thingy, I have 2 friends whose home pages I cannot visit. They just won't load. I have to wait until I see a song of theirs in Favorites or I cannot ever get to listen to them.

But I am glad you keep it simple.

Katie-and-Dennis

Reply by Katie-and-Dennis

Cause they is pretty :))

I rarely use them now...but when i first figured out how to do it...i was addicted....it wore off after a week (thank god) LOL

:o)

BronxBruce

Reply by BronxBruce

Your voice is all the pretty I need Katie.

Katie-and-Dennis

Your voice is all the pretty I need Katie.BronxBruce

Awwwwwwwww!!!! *blushes* lol

Cheekylilvixen

Edited reply by CheekylilvixenGOLD

I've never had a problem with it but I think it all depends on your computer and your internet speed, no?
Some peeps don't realise that just cuz their computer lets them load it up when they visit others like that, that not everyone can.

sawhead

Reply by sawheadGOLD

There are some profile pages that the background will not let you click on the recordings tab, if you try to it will take you to the page where the background came from.

cantare

Edited reply by cantareGOLD

Probably the same reason people climb mountains... "because they're there".

Actually my personal favorite is when someone takes the practice "on the road" when commenting on your songs. They inject a bunch of annoying html tags to change the font, the colors, and the text alignment, and then can't be bothered to close them properly. Which guarantees that everyone else's comment also appears as 36pt Obscuro Cuneiform Ultra Bold--page-centered in a lovely puke-green.

I think of the profile thing as a MySpace phenomenon. About half the time when I try to check out someone's profile on a social-networking site, my screen turns some gawd-awful neon color with strobing glitter cascades, while pop-up windows spawn left and right like Spanish Fly-crazed rabbits, and squarish grey boxes denoting half-loaded applets and RAM-devouring widgets litter the field like the blasted hulks of some bygone naval battle.

Finally my beleaguered browser does a convincing impression of a grand mal seizure as a prelude to locking up completely, just around the time I'm reaching for ctrl-alt-del and my vial of oxycodone-laced hemlock.

Sturgeon's Law says that 90% of everything is crap, and it's as applicable to the results of the "PIMP UR PROFILE!" craze as to anything else.

BronxBruce

Reply by BronxBruce

Adam, you crack me up.

FYI, I gave up on Myspace a long time ago. I may have time to kill but not an hour for each page to load.

gingersfella

Reply by gingersfella

Add my name to the list of not impressed.

Hey to each their own, but personally, I find some of them sorta annoying, especially what Cantare is talking about. If I wanted my comment to be rainbow colored and "pretty", I'd have done it myself.

But then again, I guess some would ask why men custom up their cars. But there's a limit for all of it. I've seen some pages dressed up to the equivalent of walking down the aisle in the auto parts store and buying one of every neon piece o crap they find.

So...if anyone is starting up a petition against glitter graphics and leopard print seat covers, let me know. LOL

Katie-and-Dennis

Actually my personal favorite is when someone takes the practice "on the road" when commenting on your songs. They inject a bunch of annoying html tags to change the font, the colors, and the text alignment, and then can't be bothered to close them properly. Which guarantees that everyone else's comment also appears as 36pt Obscuro Cuneiform Ultra Bold--page-centered in a lovely puke-green.

I think of the profile thing as a MySpace phenomenon. About half the time when I try to check out someone's profile on a social-networking site, my screen turns some gawd-awful neon color with strobing glitter cascades, while pop-up windows spawn left and right like Spanish Fly-crazed rabbits, and squarish grey boxes denoting half-loaded applets and RAM-devouring widgets litter the field like the blasted hulks of some bygone naval battle.

Finally my beleaguered browser does a convincing impression of a grand mal seizure as a prelude to locking up completely, just around the time I'm reaching for ctrl-alt-del and my vial of oxycodone-laced hemlock.

Sturgeon's Law says that 90% of everything is crap, and it's as applicable to the results of the "PIMP UR PROFILE!" craze as to anything else.cantare

I personally loved the lovely green puke bit!!! roflllllll

Novella

Edited reply by NovellaSTAFF

Patches <3

I'll be the oddball!

I think they're pretty! I have, maybe... three times, done it to my song pages (Mind you, I have changed my profile to my liking) ...

But I visit some people on a regular basis who put either custom backgrounds that override the site's CSS that have their name and such... Or ones that just fit the theme of the song! I think it's creative and interesting and looks good. So I say "go nuts" !!!

People find enjoyment in different things. I edit my songs, ( to get reverb),so I lip sync and try to "put on a show". Some may not understand why I do it, think it's dumb - but I like the 'performance' of it all and putting out something that I enjoy or am proud of (or something) some folks like making their songs feel special to them.. we just have different ways of doing it.

No clue if this makes sense. I just woke from a nap.

Sultry_Eyes

Reply by Sultry_EyesGOLD

Never done it to mine cos I don't know how to and I'm not all that a$$ed either lol.....

I know all the glitter comments etc does slow my pc down. Even when viewing other peoples songs. Yeah here in spain we only have 1 meg speed but it's good enough for me

I have lots of trouble back in the uk cos we only have half a meg there and there are 3 of us using our pc's, doesn't even wanna think about it lol........

I'm just a plain old Jane...........

cantare

Reply by cantareGOLD

I'm all for elaborate creations... they just have to, you know, not suck. Your profile is tasteful and readable. That takes consideration and planning; success isn't always guaranteed when you simply copy-n-paste some code from some random "Somebody set up us the PIMPPP!!!" website

gingersfella

Reply by gingersfella

Personally I find it funny in an ironic sorta way when you see a profile that's all done up to look like a religious shrine, eg...Scripture, Jesus pics and the like... and across the top corner of the page it says "Pimp Your Profile".

Vicster

Edited reply by VicsterGOLD

Awwwww Bruuuuce....I was going to put a biiiiiiiiiiig picture of you as the background on one of my songs down the road...maybe even a BIG blinking picture of you...with neon "pulsing" stars floating around your head and...and...!!! Errr...guess I will skip that idea now...hehe.

I never use them either just because it makes it hard to read the comments and extends the load time. Guessin' people are just lookin to purty up their page. And I have locked up on some pages because of their backgrounds and stuff...mostly on profile pages.

If you hit control + "A" (PC) it will highlight all the text on the page and makes the comments easier to read...if the page ever loads for you that is

Binky-

Reply by Binky-GOLD

There are some profile pages that the background will not let you click on the recordings tab, if you try to it will take you to the page where the background came from. sawhead

very true saw, im just so glad i dont need to *pimp* anymore hahaha.... just saying thanks to Novella i finally figured out how to do some of the codes and make mine simple but i think pretty still...... but i to am just a simple ole gal like sultry

xenomark

Reply by xenomarkCHAT-ADMIN

a major issue is because ppl don't know how to code, so they turn to pre-made layout sites that already exist.. however, those pre-made layouts are generally specifically for other sites, such as myspace, and not coded to work 100% with myspace... so oftentimes things don't display correctly...

but... stay tuned....

Jacqui

Reply by Jacqui

Personally I find it funny in an ironic sorta way when you see a profile that's all done up to look like a religious shrine, eg...Scripture, Jesus pics and the like... and across the top corner of the page it says "Pimp Your Profile".gingersfella

Gotta say, this is darn funny!!

beth063

Reply by beth063PATRON

I dont' care at all for the MySpace addiction. But I do like to dress up my pages just a bit sometimes. I use a very simple code, and really basic tiles I either have created myself, or find online. It's so easy to do, I never have understood the attraction to all the other crap. And I say crap, because I agree that it really does mess up the ability to load some pages....or read the font, etc.

Not saying my way is best. It's just what works for me. The more basic, the better. But with a little bit of color.

beth063

Reply by beth063PATRON

Personally I find it funny in an ironic sorta way when you see a profile that's all done up to look like a religious shrine, eg...Scripture, Jesus pics and the like... and across the top corner of the page it says "Pimp Your Profile".gingersfella

Gotta say, this is darn funny!!Jacqui

lol. irony at it's best, huh?

BronxBruce

Reply by BronxBruce

I edit my songs, ( to get reverb),so I lip sync and try to "put on a show". Some may not understand why I do it, think it's dumb - but I like the 'performance' of it all and putting out something that I enjoy or am proud of (or something) some folks like making their songs feel special to them.. we just have different ways of doing it.

No clue if this makes sense. I just woke from a nap.Novella

Far be it from me to question people for putting extra work into their recordings. Heck. "Keep It Gay" uses 12 different tracks. "It Sucks To Be Me" also uses multiple tracks and has multiple images in the song description area. So I would be the last person to question people putting in extra effort. I think it's wonderful that you "put on a show" Novella.

My question here is, does the extra effort of creating backgrounds sometimes detract rather than add to the experience?

Novella

Reply by NovellaSTAFF

Patches <3

For me Bruce...
I dig it. When I visit my friends pages and they've made the whole "room" an experience... I like it! I don't think I have too many issues with page loading, so it's never been a bad experience for me.

BronxBruce

Edited reply by BronxBruce

For me Bruce...
I dig it. When I visit my friends pages and they've made the whole "room" an experience... I like it! I don't think I have too many issues with page loading, so it's never been a bad experience for me.Novella

OK. I'll buy that. That certainly answers my question as to why some people do it.

Ally_O

Reply by Ally_O

Hello everyone .. I would just like to add this.. What I don't like about backgrounds are ppl who add them on your song without your permission.. It happened to me before..How the heck do you remove them?? xoxox

Novella

Reply by NovellaSTAFF

Patches <3

Hello everyone .. I would just like to add this.. What I don't like about backgrounds are ppl who add them on your song without your permission.. It happened to me before..How the heck do you remove them?? xoxoxAlly_O

Delete their comment on the song and it should remove the code.

Ally_O

Reply by Ally_O

Hello everyone .. I would just like to add this.. What I don't like about backgrounds are ppl who add them on your song without your permission.. It happened to me before..How the heck do you remove them?? xoxoxAlly_O

Delete their comment on the song and it should remove the code.

Novella

Oh?? Just like that?? lol.. OK ..Thank You

Chanda1003

Reply by Chanda1003

I would say I have mine to have some individuality on the site Bruce, personally speaking..mind you I had to get somone talented to make mie..but all the same...it suits me

thats why mine is done..I only use song backgrounds for contests..it does make it hard to read comments

Monken

Reply by Monken

Why do people use backgrounds?

It has been my experience that 99% of the backgrounds I see do nothing but obscure the comments and make the page take about 75% longer to load. Some of the backgrounds are positively blinding.

Also, there are a few people who use complicated backgrounds and complicated glitter widgets on their home pages. Whenever I visit one of these pages my computer comes to a standstill and it makes it impossible to get to the person's recordings.

I very rarely see a background that improves the experience of visiting a persons page. But I imagine some people must get enjoyment out of them or they wouldn't be all over the place. Can anyone enlighten me?BronxBruce

I agree

TJ_C

Reply by TJ_CGOLD

i use a basic black on my songs,and profile,it's easier on the eyes for me, i have like maybe 2 songs with a pic background for the fun of learning html ,while back, but i do agree with the comment made 'bout the comments with codes left open that changes the whole freakin' page and font!! that is annoying, most pages load good for me, but a few, and i try to get out before my pc chokes!lol!! as to glitter pics, i love most comment pics regardless of glitter if they fit the song i sang,like they put some thought in to them. but if it screws up my page, i pm them that unfortunately i deleted there comment and pic to my song because it messed my page up,
(an edit button would be nice here, so you can leave the written part and just delete the pic or code)

SPUTTER

Reply by SPUTTER

Right with ya here buddy!!! WHY!!!

sedaley

Reply by sedaley

Sturgeon's Law says that 90% of everything is crap, and it's as applicable to the results of the "PIMP UR PROFILE!" craze as to anything else.cantare

Adam, this tirade is hysterical! LMAO Oh man! I can't breathe! that was too funny!

sedaley

Reply by sedaley

Yes, Binky, I am serious. I just tried to listen to two songs. One had a black background with pulsing stars that made it impossible to see anything and the very next one had a pale/white background that had the exact same effect. And I finally gave up waiting for the song to load. This is not a new experience for me.

As to the home page glitter/background thingy, I have 2 friends whose home pages I cannot visit. They just won't load. I have to wait until I see a song of theirs in Favorites or I cannot ever get to listen to them.

But I am glad you keep it simple.BronxBruce

Yes Bruce, this has happened to me too. I try to go to someone's page and everything freezes and I have to hit ctrl alt del to get out of it--and when they put them on the songs, I can't get them to load all the way. I'll get everything but the player! LOL

xenomark

Edited reply by xenomarkCHAT-ADMIN

if you guys are serious about this being a problem, and you use firefox, and i get enough feedback and some spare time, i'll write a custom script that will block that stuff...

i had to write one for myspace a while back for the forums, as jerks were really screwing up things by injecting code... and, yes, there are much worse things that can happen other than you being shown an unexpected dancing kitty...

here's the script i did for myspace....
http://www.x3designs.com/thedot/index.htm
myspace updated their forum coding about 8 months after i wrote this, so most of it is no longer necessary... but you get the idea...

gingersfella

Edited reply by gingersfella

if you guys are serious about this being a problem, and you use firefox, and i get enough feedback and some spare time, i'll write a custom script that will block that stuff...

i had to write one for myspace a while back for the forums, as jerks were really screwing up things by injecting code... and, yes, there are much worse things that can happen other than you being shown an unexpected dancing kitty...

here's the script i did for myspace....
http://www.x3designs.com/thedot/index.htm
myspace updated their forum coding about 8 months after i wrote this, so most of it is no longer necessary... but you get the idea...xenomark

Are you the one to thank for moving my comment box to the top of the page? I think that's the best addition for me in a long time. I absolutely love it!!!

Thank you to you or whoever wrote that script. Too bad I have a morbid fascination with the boards so I don't use the ignore script. LOL

*side note? I sometimes have trouble with my comment box reverting to the bottom of the page when multiple windows are open. Is there something I'm doing or should do?

Thanks
Jim

xenomark

Edited reply by xenomarkCHAT-ADMIN

Are you the one to thank for moving my comment box to the top of the page? I think that's the best addition for me in a long time. I absolutely love it!!!

Thank you to you or whoever wrote that script. Too bad I have a morbid fascination with the boards so I don't use the ignore script. LOLgingersfella

yep... just rewrote the comment box script, you definitely wanna update yours....
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/24240

& for the record, i've never ignored anyone, other than testing the script... i've told ppl i ignored them, but then i didn't do it, wanted to see what they said about me...

& you are most welcome...

gingersfella

Reply by gingersfella

Done and thank you. I look forward to using it tomorrow when the kid's at school and I can crank some tunes.

You will be the first one I use it on.

Thanks Xeno and keep em coming. :))

xenomark

considering an "auto alert for singsnap PMs" script... dunno if it's doable, but i'm checking out the codes..

gingersfella

Reply by gingersfella

I just went o your House of a Rising Sun...

I WANT YOUR LITTLE NAME THINGY!! Sorry if this was too technical, but you know what I mean.

I don't know what to call it, but the way your name flips around is cool. You've impressed the man in me who likes gizmo's and flashing lights. (NOT GLITTER GRAPHICS!!!!!)

LOL

xenomark

I just went o your House of a Rising Sun...

I WANT YOUR LITTLE NAME THINGY!! Sorry if this was too technical, but you know what I mean.

I don't know what to call it, but the way your name flips around is cool. You've impressed the man in me who likes gizmo's and flashing lights. (NOT GLITTER GRAPHICS!!!!!)

LOLgingersfella

no can do, bro... that's a little easter egg i give myself, lolz...

BUT... you might find a different present if you check your PM...

shhhhhhhhhh

gingersfella

Reply by gingersfella

Got it...

xenomark

Jubi

Reply by JubiGOLD

There is a God r/a97829cd1

Hmmmmmm.......I am new to this technical stuff.......I just learned how to add a non-moving background to my home page and play with the url codes....love to change the text so that it can blend with my new backgrounds......as for the background on the song pages......I am still in the dark on that one

I guess people will have to settle for my singing and manycam pics.......

Jubi

agamoto

Reply by agamotoGOLD

I have to admit, this is a pet peeve of my own, especially some of the "pimp my page" code that people use that interferes with the links on the site and wonks out the CSS layout. It would be nice to eliminate the ability to use the "page pimping" sites altogether and have an in-house method to customize profile pages, with background images, banners, font styles and such, but that's way down the road.

Jensper

Reply by Jensper

help...someone's added a background image to my comments page and I cant remove it, I am tech challenged and have no idea but i cant view the page properly anymore

Binky-

Reply by Binky-GOLD

Jensper, the only way is to remove the comment when it changed. (sighs) Do you happen to remember or perhaps was the last comment? try that and good luck!

GlaszEyes

Reply by GlaszEyesGOLD

Brain________________________________________Coffee_/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\_!

My profile themes are simple...no complication, no glitter, no animation, small size jpgs. I enjoy making themes...just a hobby for me.

GlaszEyes

Reply by GlaszEyesGOLD

Brain________________________________________Coffee_/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\_!

help...someone's added a background image to my comments page and I cant remove it, I am tech challenged and have no idea but i cant view the page properly anymoreJensper

Please, give me a link to the recording and I will help you.

DougSings

Reply by DougSings

If I want to colour theme my songs, usually only if there is a picture in the video. I use those provided by BrotherGary. They work on all web browsers including the newer Google Chrome which is what I use 99% of the time these days. They are clean and simple but add just that little bit extra when needed. A BIG thank you to him I say

hempscreek2

Reply by hempscreek2

I try not to use graphics that are so blinding.lol but I do like to dress up my page to make it look more professional. my computer locks up on some pages also. so i dropped dial up and got broadband. and I defragmented my pc so it would run faster. it has a 2004 intel pentium 4 processor with windows xp pro. i cant afford to up grade. but i found now that i have uploaded firefox i have not had the problems i use to. well good luck and hope some of this info may help.

- Next