I don’t have “Stereo Mix” in Vista, what can I do?

This topic is listed in Recording Help & Tips. It has been viewed 85,506 times and 80 replies have been made.

Next >>
tonyLEVEL 103

Post by tonySTAFF +34 +4

Under Vista, some cards support a “Stereo Mix” or “What U Hear” option while others do not. For example, below is a statement from Creative Labs who produce the popular Sound Blaster cards.

“Recording with Sound Blaster in Windows Vista

The What U Hear recording option is supported in Windows Vista for Sound Blaster X-Fi series (Excluding Extreme Audio series) and Sound Blaster Audigy series (excluding Sound Blaster Audigy LE, SE, and Audigy Value).

If the "What U Hear" option is missing in the Recording menu, it could be disabled or hidden. To make it appear in the list, right click anywhere in the Recording menu, and select "Show Disabled Device", right click on "What U Hear" option and select Enable. Right click it again, and select "Set as Default".

The "What U Hear" feature for Sound Blaster Audigy SE/LS/Live!24 bit cards had changed since the latest driver update. The previous version of Windows Vista driver (SB24_VTDRV_LB_1_04_0065A.exe) for Sound Blaster Audigy SE/LS/Live!24 bit has an option for recording with "What U Hear";

The latest version (SB24_VTDRV_LB_1_04_0077.exe) no longer has the option for "What U Hear" recording with Sound Blaster Audigy SE/LS/Live!24bit.

Both drivers are currently available for download. The only way to get the "What U Hear" back is to reinstall the previous drivers, or roll back drivers.”

The complete article can be found at http://uk.europe.creative.com or http://us.creative.com. Search the Knowledge Base for SID1774.

If your current audio card setup does not support a Stereo Mix line, we can create our own by using a additional USB audio interface. However, this would only work if you can hear both the music and microphone through the loudspeakers or headphones.

For example, with the Behringer UCA 202 we can route the audio output of the sound card back into the computer so SingSnap can record it. The UCA 202 also allows you to connect headphones and speakers so you can continue to listen to the music and voice.

Installation is simple and the only other part required is a cable to connect the line out (or speaker out if there is no line out) of your current audio card to the USB device. When you plug UCA202 USB plug into the computer, Vista will install the appropriate driver. The only thing left to do is select the new USB driver as the recording device. In this case it would be “Microphone (USB Audio Codec)” in the SingSnap Wizard.

Once the audio signal chain is set up, you can tweak the levels of voice and music using the audio card mixer as well as the SingSnap Record Level and Music Level.

Sonsi

Edited reply by Sonsi

Hi there ...

I have just bought a USB mixer ( alesis ) and ever since then the recordings i try to do, end up skipping, or cutting all the time. This only happen if i use the backing track from SS.

I have been using my own tracks but that is not the idea is it ? ... i will never have all the songs you have on the site, so sometimes i wont be able to record a song i want to ... why is it this happening ?

I know several people on SS who have the same mixer and it works well ... don't forget this problem only happen to me when i use the track coming from SS.

My pc is fast, new, lots of memory and Carlos Fandango ... i have tried to record only using the webcam and no problem at all, only when the mixer is plugged in. Do anybody have an idea what is happening ? Please let me know !

Sonsi.

PS. I have a laptop Dell inspiron 1501 Turion 64 MK 36 ( Windows Vista )
512 x 2 533 MHz

Sonsi

Reply by Sonsi

I can see you have been changing the player/recorder ... it says right under it the version we are using.

And i noticed you have just changed it again, it is now afecting any recording i make, no matter where is the backing track from, it is still more obvious if i use the backing track from SS.

That mean i can't duet anybody, or do my own harmonies because i will be using again a track coming from SS, the final recording will be skipping A LOT !

Is SS becoming overloaded perhaps ?

Can somebody tell me ? ........ please !

Loretta188LEVEL 1

Reply by Loretta188

Under Vista, some cards support a “Stereo Mix” or “What U Hear” option while others do not. For example, below is a statement from Creative Labs who produce the popular Sound Blaster cards.

The What U Hear recording option is supported in Windows Vista for Sound Blaster X-Fi series (Excluding Extreme Audio series) and Sound Blaster Audigy series (excluding Sound Blaster Audigy LE, SE, and Audigy Value).

If the "What U Hear" option is missing in the Recording menu, it could be disabled or hidden. To make it appear in the list, right click anywhere in the Recording menu, and select "Show Disabled Device", right click on "What U Hear" option and select Enable. Right click it again, and select "Set as Default".

The "What U Hear" feature for Sound Blaster Audigy SE/LS/Live!24 bit cards had changed since the latest driver update. The previous version of Windows Vista driver (SB24_VTDRV_LB_1_04_0065A.exe) for Sound Blaster Audigy SE/LS/Live!24 bit has an option for recording with "What U Hear";

The latest version (SB24_VTDRV_LB_1_04_0077.exe) no longer has the option for "What U Hear" recording with Sound Blaster Audigy SE/LS/Live!24bit.

Both drivers are currently available for download. The only way to get the "What U Hear" back is to reinstall the previous drivers, or roll back drivers.”

The complete article can be found at http://uk.europe.creative.com or http://us.creative.com. Search the Knowledge Base for SID1774.

If your current audio card setup does not support a Stereo Mix line, we can create our own by using a additional USB audio interface. However, this would only work if you can hear both the music and microphone through the loudspeakers or headphones.

For example, with the Behringer UCA 202 we can route the audio output of the sound card back into the computer so SingSnap can record it. The UCA 202 also allows you to connect headphones and speakers so you can continue to listen to the music and voice.

Installation is simple and the only other part required is a cable to connect the line out (or speaker out if there is no line out) of your current audio card to the USB device. When you plug UCA202 USB plug into the computer, Vista will install the appropriate driver. The only thing left to do is select the new USB driver as the recording device. In this case it would be “Microphone (USB Audio Codec)” in the SingSnap Wizard.

Once the audio signal chain is set up, you can tweak the levels of voice and music using the audio card mixer as well as the SingSnap Record Level and Music Level. tony

Loretta188LEVEL 1

Reply by Loretta188

Hi Tony
Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!! I got the what u hear download
it and it works,I still can't get the echo to work right.
Make be you can help me.
You sing good !
Thanks Linda

JimmyN

Reply by JimmyN

Okay, so I have SoundBlaster Xtreme Audio PCIe. So no WhatuHear or Stereo mixer. I can record my voice but there's no music on playback. There is a mixer in the Entertainment console, which is the only mode available. Help for this mode states, "Only one recording source can be selected at a time." Is this why I should get the USB noted above? Is there no other way to do this?

tonyLEVEL 103

Reply by tonySTAFF +34 +4

Since there is no What U Hear option, we need a way to record both music and voice. Adding a USB audio device will allow us to record what comes out of the speakers, hence creating our own What U Hear option.

Sonsi

Edited reply by Sonsi

I have been asking about my problem and i have been told that my web cam and USB mixer might be using BOTH the same channel or frequency while working in my computer and perhaps that is why i get cutting out so much.
I have also been told there is a way of changing the settings so they work separately and they don't bother each other.

Do anyone knows how could i change this settings ... PLEASE !

ELVIS_USALEVEL 67

Reply by ELVIS_USAGOLD

THE LOCAL COMPUTER SHOP CAN SET THOSE SETTINGS FOR YOU SONSI THE GEAR GUY OR ANY BEST BYE THAT HAS A GEEK SQUAD CAN DO IT TO THE GEAR GUY.

msmimyLEVEL 1

Reply by msmimy

hi i have windows vista but i don't have sound blaster my laptop comes with realtek and it does have a stereo mix...i've enabled that on my comp and set it as default but on the singsnap website i pick my regular microphone as my recording device and my recordings are full of static noises....however if i pick stereo mix as my recording device on the web i only record music and not my voice...don't know what to do.

BluEnchantor

Reply by BluEnchantor

i also have realtek but cant get my voice to work right pls help me my soundblaster wont fit in this computer so im stuck with realtek so plz help if anyone can thanks Bill

DreamingMary

Reply by DreamingMary

Since there is no What U Hear option, we need a way to record both music and voice. Adding a USB audio device will allow us to record what comes out of the speakers, hence creating our own What U Hear option.tony

On my Vista there's just Stereo Mix Option, that doesnt work as "what you hear"? I tried and looks like i jsut can record my voice but no music

SoulfulStrutterLEVEL 98

Reply by SoulfulStrutterGOLD

I also have realtek and Vista Help!

funnybone

Reply by funnybone

im having the same issues. I fixed my sound with a driver update but now all i hear is my mic. the stereo mix option went away. I NEED HELP BAD

roxylassLEVEL 6

Reply by roxylass

yip ive also got vista and realtek.it wont let you enable both mic and soundcard together.....feel like giving up

tombassingerLEVEL 11

Reply by tombassinger

I agree with Roxylass. I had trouble with my XP computer; got a new one and of course it came with Vista. I immediately signed up as Gold then began recording. I've tried everything and I CANNOT get any music when I am recording. I hear it in the headphones and my mic works, but when I play back the video, there is no music. Now if I had a beautiful voice like Roxylass, that wouldn't matter. Anyway....unless there is a genius out there to help me, I think that I HAVE given up. Too bad, 'cause my friend is on this site and I really like it.
Tom.

justd_64LEVEL 4

Reply by justd_64

I hear everyone's pain posted above. New computer: Realtek onboard soundcard, tried every option that you all stated with stereo mix and mic, went online with HP and was told that the Realtek may not be compatible with this particular Flash Player. And yes, I even updated the flashplayer. Most soundlblasters I know are PCI compatible, but not PCI-E compatible, (that's a new kind of slot) which is the slots that I have. My old soundblaster Xtreme audio doesn't fit my new PC either. Funny thing is that it does work on Singshot, but I'm not too fond of that site as the sounds are temperamental........soooooooooooo.....that said.......either SS get's the player to work with realtek or someone may have a workaround...errrrrmmmm....that WORKS LOL....enough said...D

roxylassLEVEL 6

Reply by roxylass

thanks for letting me know justd.saves me fiddling about with all the settings.ive been at it for 2 days.even updated my soundcard drivers....so by the sounds of it its not actually vista thats the problem its realtek.....thinking of getting another soundcard fitted but dont know if that would void my guarantee?????/

roxylassLEVEL 6

Reply by roxylass

CAN I JUST SAY THAT I HAVE SET UP MY USB MIXER LIKE THE ONE AT THE TOP OF THIS THREAD AND DOES WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU DONT NEED TO GET AN EXPENSIVE ONE JUST A CHEAP USB MIXER,AND YOU NEVER KNOW IT MIGHT HAVE THE ADDED BENEFIT OF ECHO!!!!!!! THANKYOU TO EVERYONE WHO HAS TRIED TO HELP ME VERY VERY VERY VERY MUCH APPRECIATED XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The_Holy_MoleLEVEL 67

Reply by The_Holy_MoleGOLD

Ahh damn it. I've got the realtek/vista death combo!!!

roxylassLEVEL 6

Reply by roxylass

IT WORKED FOR ABOUT 2 MINS THEN STOPPED...I TOOK MY LAPTOP BACK SWAPPED IT FOR ONE WITH A DIFFERENT SOUNDCARD AND STILL HAVE SAME PROBS...HAD ENOUGH NOW....GONNA TRY AND SET IT UP ON DESKTOP UPSTAIRS..aaarrrrrggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

The_Holy_MoleLEVEL 67

Reply by The_Holy_MoleGOLD

i went into...urgh, i can hardly bring myself to admit it... PC World and was told ALL of their machines have realtek as standard. Which means all of their subsiduries will be the same. Im going for refund thursday then shopping for something end of line with xp and old sound stuff.

Wish i could afford a mac...

ksredneckLEVEL 2

Reply by ksredneck

Now let me get this correctly, I have to buy something, in order to use this site, or to have a decent recording, when others don't have to? All because my Windows Vista don't have the options that other Operating Systems Have?

I don't think so!

I think I'm just going to another site!

When this site gets it's shit together to where everyone can record no matter what Operating Systems, or Versions, Sound Cards ect... Then I may come back!

Till then, Laterz

karaokeTonyaLEVEL 2

Reply by karaokeTonya

OK, I HAD TO DOWNLOAD A DRIVER FOR MY SOUNDBLASTER, YOU HAVE TO GO TO SOUNDBLASTER SITE AND DOWNLOAD THE VISTA DRIVER, I DID AFTER 2 WEEKS OF ADJUSTING AND SOUNDING LIKE A CHIPMONK, WORKS FINE. AFTER YOU DOWNLOAD THE DRIVER THEN WHAT YOU HEAR WILL APPEAR

NazzoLEVEL 102

Reply by NazzoGOLD +3

Christmas Lunch will be in Oriental Bay this year. Expect different scenic photos.

I dont have vista and my music level is way down low as can go. In fact it's hardly there and I've got a buzzing humm.
Where is it going wrong? Anyone help?

Starbright

Reply by Starbright

I have the Vista problem here also. Right now i'm singing with my mic just picking up speaker sounds and have no 'Stereo Mix' or 'what you hear' . I have a Toshiba laptop with Vista and the Realtek built-in sound but it's not good at all. I have bought an external Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio sound card which i thought would help but Creative didn't have 'What you Hear' on it, then I bought the Behringer UCA-202 mixer that so many on here had got and said worked for them. I've hooked it up just like the diagram for it on these posts, went and bough extra cable, etc.. i can hear sound but for some reason my mic doesn't work on it. I want to be able to mix my voice with singsnap music and use my mic, not the built-in mic on laptop. Can anyone help?

Russ_the_guitarmanLEVEL 3

Reply by Russ_the_guitarman

Hi Starbright. Can you define what the mic not working is about? Does the plug on the mic cable and the plug into the Behringer mixer not match? What does the plug on your mic cable look like?

What kinid of mic is it?

Russ

MichelenaLEVEL 43

Reply by MichelenaGOLD

All I can say is I agree with Laterz. It shouldn't be so hard to do all this. I have Windows XP and yes I an using USB and it is too hard to get the voice and music on the same page. So I will stick to singshot or Sims. They may not have all the songs but it is so much easier. I will keep checking back here to see if they update their system. Happy sining to tose of you who have success in this site. Those who don't come join me at Sim on Stage.

Starbright

Reply by Starbright

Russ, I have a mic similar to a 'Shure' mic but a cheaper model. i think it's a Dynex brand i got at Best Buy. It's a handheld mic, not a headphone mic. I have the adapter plug that fits into my laptop or the Behringer mixer. I plugged it in just like the diagram that someone put up in here. Mic plugged into one of the 'inputs' of mixer, Headphone jack of laptop in other 'input' of mixer, both mixer 'outputs' going to speakers or headphones, and the 'phones' jack on front of mixer going to 'mic' jack on laptop.

NoralynnLEVEL 2

Reply by Noralynn

When I adjust my settings to Stereo Mix, I get really good background music in playback but no voice! When I then change the settings back to microphone, I get half-decent song but distant, awful background music. Any ideas?

witchy66LEVEL 17

Reply by witchy66

I have the same problem sound but no music i also have vista if I change my mic to default I have my voice no sound if I change my soundmixer to default i have no voice but sound....................ahhhhhhhhhhh....this really sucks..

Lazarus71LEVEL 5

Edited reply by Lazarus71

What would be nice is to get an official response to what is being done if anything for those of us that Have vista and a creative sound card. Creative stopped supporting the "what you hear" option in the drivers so unless something is changed in the way recording is actually done we are pretty much hosed!

Also before anyone says get a mixer I don't personally have the money to get a mixer and honestly should not have to.

Gi-GiLEVEL 7

Reply by Gi-Gi

I got word from Sing Snap that they will have a new recording system in June. No ETA. But, they say this will take care of the issues we are all having w/ Vista. I made two recordings even without the sound. Is any one else doing this? I'm just holding off recording any more until this is fixed. By the way, SingSnap said that they would post notice on their site when the new system is up.

Lazarus71LEVEL 5

Reply by Lazarus71

Thats great Gi-Gi, thanks for posting. I wasn't trying to sound like an ass but I am having singsnap withdrawal lol.

singingprincess1560LEVEL 11

Reply by singingprincess1560

That is awesome news..about the vista compatible recorder they will be getting this month..I am so looking forward to it and praying that it will be the answer to all our problems..:)

MmeOdileCLEVEL 33

Edited reply by MmeOdileC

Once the audio signal chain is set up, you can tweak the levels of voice and music using the audio card mixer as well as the SingSnap Record Level and Music Level. tony

1) does this give you the ability to hear your voice in the headphones while the music is playing so you can record with precision?
2) and is this a laptop?
3)and what if you don't have a mic IN the laptop.. where do you plug the mic in?..

after reading more carefully you did 'kinda' answer question 1...but how do you know if it will work..do you have to buy the usb mixer to find out..?

cbrown2028

Reply by cbrown2028

tony

TONY ...........YOU ARE A GOD!

This worked for me!!!!! Yeah!!!!

I recently bought a new computer that had Vista and have tried for 1 1/2 weeks to get singsnap to record properly. I happened to have a SoundBlaster Audigy SE card installed in my old computer. I just installed it in this computer along with the SB24_VTDRV_LB_1_04_0065A.exe driver. This has fixed all my problems!!!!

Anyone else having problems with Vista might want to try this. You can get a SoundBlaster Audigy SE at Wal-mart for $29.99. It's worth a shot! It worked for me!!!!!

split10LEVEL 1

Reply by split10

I've tried that card in Vista (Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 Sound Card - OEM (30SB057000000)
) and yes it does give you mix with older drivers, but I find the mic is low and no option to boost it.
You can do it in windows registry, but it's not for the faint hearted.
What mic do you use?

cbrown2028

Reply by cbrown2028

I use a generic mic that came with my daughter's cheap karaoke machine.......lol...... but it works

Lazarus71LEVEL 5

Reply by Lazarus71

It would be nice to get some kind of update on the new system that is being worked on for those of us with Vista who have no "what u hear" option.

southern_girl1968

Reply by southern_girl1968

I bought the Creative Sound Blaster, too. About two weeks ago and I was so mad when I installed it and it didn't have the "what u hear" option. Well, I searched and searched to find out how I could make it work and I found this thread. I uninstalled the driver that comes with the card and downloaded the driver that Tony talked about, (the previous version) and guess what? It has the "what u hear" option and I am up and running! Thanks, Tony! Do that and you can use it with Snap! Hope this helps!

Mary54LEVEL 18

Reply by Mary54

I'm about to order a new laptop.... but I am so afraid that that doggone Vista is going to mess up my ability to record "what u hear".... does anyone have a Dell laptop with Vista and the Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy™HD Software Edition?

split10LEVEL 1

Reply by split10

I'm about to order a new laptop.... but I am so afraid that that doggone Vista is going to mess up my ability to record "what u hear".... does anyone have a Dell laptop with Vista and the Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy™HD Software Edition?
Mary54

Be carefull here. The Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy™HD Software Edition is only software and does nothing to help with What U hear.
I'm afraid I can't advise you what to get as I'm not 100% sure what laptop has What U hear (aka mix) and the add on cards that fit new laptops (X-Fi Xtreme Audio Notebook) doesn't give you What U hear either.

I have read that some Toshiba can do mix, but I have no idea what one.

Lazarus71LEVEL 5

Reply by Lazarus71

I found a solution on the dell forums.

Posted by Darwoodet!
"I have found a solution around getting the "What u Hear" feature back on the Dell OEM X-Fi Extreme Music sound cards.

This will not work on the X-FI Extreme Audio but should work on the other X-FI Extreme series, Gamer, Music etc. I have an XPS 420 that i orderd with the X-FI Extreme Music running Vista Ultimate 32-bit.

Before you start make sure you have the IO panel configured as this will remove that feature. This is done through the Creative console. Once you have it set you will have to either edit the registry or reload the Dell drivers to make changes again.

Go to the Creative web site and download the drivers pertaining to your X-Fi Extreme sound card. Do not run the file you have downloaded, when you do this it somehow recognizes the Dell OEM card and will not install the "What u Hear" driver. Instead use a program like winzip to extract the contents to a temporary directory.

Go to control panel and update the drivers for your X-FI sound Card, "Browse My Computer for driver software" then "let me pick" and "Have Disk" browse to the directory you extracted the Creative drivers to

/drivers there you will see two directories /SBXF and /XFHX look for the driver "Creative X-Fi Audio Processor (WDM) Version: 6.0.1.1304 [2/22/2008]" I had to try a few of the drivers in these directories before i found the right one. after you install the driver reboot your PC and go to control Panel Sound, recording and you will see newly listed, Line-In & What U Hear. It says they are both currently unavailable but that is not true, try it works like a charm. Make sure you go into the Creative Audio Console and select What U Hear under REC section of the Mixer settings.

Remember I have the X-FI Extreme Music (D) (D is for Dell Oem) and Vista Ultimate 32-bit so the above instructions may be different for your PC."

I am on the X-Fi xtreme gamer and this worked like a charm for me. Hope it helps all of you in the same boat!

Music-luverLEVEL 6

Reply by Music-luver

Hi just flagging .... I also need help but, am too tired right now lol...

Music-luverLEVEL 6

Reply by Music-luver

oops, forgot to flag,,, told ya, tired lol

Music-luverLEVEL 6

Reply by Music-luver

Hi,

How do you know what driver you need, how do you find out what is on your PC... I am running vista...

Thanks

Music-luverLEVEL 6

Reply by Music-luver

Mary54

I have the Dell laptop with vista (just bought it) and when you run the wizard, it automatically sets up perfectly.... now my sisters home PC on the other hand is another story lol...That's the one I'm inquiring about in an earlier post...

split10LEVEL 1

Reply by split10

Mary54

I have the Dell laptop with vista (just bought it) and when you run the wizard, it automatically sets up perfectly.... now my sisters home PC on the other hand is another story lol...That's the one I'm inquiring about in an earlier post...Music-luver

You'd be the first person on here that I've seen thats got a Dell with Vista on that works with singsnap, so what was model?
What is the home PC your trying to fix, and is that Vista?

Music-luverLEVEL 6

Reply by Music-luver

I'm about to order a new laptop.... edited....Mary54

I have the Dell laptop with vista (just bought it) and when you run the wizard, it automatically sets up perfectly.... edited...Music-luver

You'd be the first person on here that I've seen thats got a Dell with Vista on that works with singsnap, so what was model?
What is the home PC your trying to fix, and is that Vista?split10

The model is inspiron 1525 and the home PC is a Dell running Vista as well...

split10LEVEL 1

Edited reply by split10

Strange....the inspiron 1525 uses a sigmatel audio chip, and unless they have changed something it never used to support stereo mix in Vista.
For your home PC you'd be better off getting an internal sound card.
This is from a post I made earlier...

This is from personal experience with Vista.
Assuming you have a spare PCI slot, this will give you stereo mix in Vista if you use the old beta drivers, but it has no mic boost.

Things get complex as you move up as creatives new extreme gamer cards dont have stereo mix (creative call it what U hear)
If it was my money, I'd be looking on ebay for a SB0460.
Thats the "Creative Labs Retail X-Fi XtremeMusic" but make sure you get the SB0460.
That will give you mix and mic boost plus 7.1 speakers if you desire and the drivers are not beta and are freely available for Vista. here
Yoi can prolly get one for the same price as the Audigy SE, but its a MUCHH better card!

Next >>