Opinion Time!

This topic is listed in General Discussion. It has been viewed 2,444 times and 197 replies have been made.

Next >>
NovellaLEVEL 111

Post by NovellaSTAFF +28

Hello SingSnap - What's YOUR Opinion?

SingSnap has some great plans in the works to improve our beloved site and make it even better than it already is (I know, can you even believe that's possible ) Anyways, so a topic that has come up is Time Zones.

Currently SingSnap operates and displays everything in SingSnap Time (EST). Going forward - what do you prefer?

1) Keep It How It Is - All time stamps will remain in the same format, EST.
2) Display My Time Zone - All time stamps will be displayed in whatever time zone you are in at the time.

When weighing in, consider all things SingSnap! You know how the current system works and functions. If you want it to change, consider how it will affect how YOU interact. Will changing makes things easier or more complex?

Things to consider...

- Contest and Challenge Deadlines
- Feature Pages
- Promo Deadlines
- Volunteer Work
- Communications with your global friends

We cannot wait to hear your feedback! As always, keep it open, honest and constructive!

Thanks Everyone!

sjb9031LEVEL 64

Reply by sjb9031GOLD

Please keep it as it is.. lol

starsearchLEVEL 106

Reply by starsearchGOLD +6

Keep it like it is or it could be confusing on time zones when challenges had deadlines.
Some may get the time wrong and miss out. I think, unless everyone had same zone lol.

-Donnie-LEVEL 63

Reply by -Donnie-CHAT-ADMIN +2

If It Aint broke, Don't fix It.!! Keep It As Is.!!

NHDaveJLEVEL 53

Edited reply by NHDaveJGOLD

if the overall will be in singsnap time, and there is also a time for each person's time zone then that will be fine, but if it changes how things will be presented in contests then don't change it

IE contest ends at 3 pm SS time is standard , it will be tough to get a timezone for everyone

ellen_maeLEVEL 71

Reply by ellen_maeGOLD

i would have to say, everyone has gotten somewhat used to the timezone used currently, i think if we change it, it would confuse some people enough that they wouldn't stay, so i think the current would be the wise idea.

ChandaLEVEL 86

Edited reply by ChandaGOLD

Personally I think that it would cause a great deal of confusion being as most people on the site that have been here for a long time automatically look at things in SingSnap time for those that are confused about what SingSnap time is it's always at the very bottom of the page. For example if we say that there is an event in the Sing Snap Chat room and we say that it is at 8 pm. Without using a consistent across the board time zone people will get confused people will show up at 8 p.m. Scotland's time or 8 p.m. Alabama time which is entirely two different times. In my opinion it's not broken don't fix it

MoxieMainiac68

Reply by MoxieMainiac68GOLD

My sweet friend Amy (4no1) on duet with me r/c08f66f4d

I agree, keep it like it is

singdeedeesingLEVEL 96

Edited reply by singdeedeesingGOLD +5

Ditto on all 7 up there!!

ChandaLEVEL 86

Reply by ChandaGOLD

If It Aint broke, Don't fix It.!! Keep It As Is.!!DonnieB8944

Lol that's what i said

harleyquinn0619LEVEL 83

Reply by harleyquinn0619

Yeah I say keep it the way it is. It's good to have a baseline standard for the site. Thank you for reaching out to the community on this so our voices could be hear and participate in building a stronger singsnap

HappyBunnyLEVEL 73

Reply by HappyBunnyVOLUNTEER-VIP +4

It is so much easier to just have one time zone for everyone to work off of. I don't know half of the time zones that people are currently on, and if I was to enter a contest, and they say a deadline with a time, I wouldn't know what to do. When we stick to SS Time, as I put it. Everyone knows. Thank you. Hope it stays the same.

starfire411LEVEL 95

Reply by starfire411

I agree with this saying....lol

Christi_DLEVEL 43

Reply by Christi_DGOLD

I think everyone is used to how it is... one side of me would like to see my own time zone (PST) but I think continuity would be easier on everyone so keep it as it is

cats_eyes_4_realsLEVEL 73

Reply by cats_eyes_4_realsPATRON

keep like it is
cus on my contests
i go by ss time
thanks
Tina
p.s. but you could lower the Gold prizes tho

louieluaLEVEL 50

Reply by louieluaGOLD

I agree with this saying....lolstarfire411

DITTO

GentleRaiinLEVEL 104

Reply by GentleRaiinGOLD +3

HAPPY WEEK TO ALL......GOD BLESS YOU...HUGS, AND PEACE!!

Regards to time zone: I agree, if it's not broke , don't fix it.........it will be so confusing!! Merry Christmas!

Poppy

Edited reply by PoppyGOLD

Hi there Novella,

In my experience as a ten-year forum administrator, my forum members do not do well with changes and do not want to spend time finding their way through any new maze. So please keep things as it is.

Having said that, if the majority rules for the new change, we will as ever at Poppycats Daily and Weekend Romance, catch up somehow.

Thank you for taking the time to hear our side of things. All the best to Singsnap.com!

Happy Holidays, everyone!
Poppy (and the Poppycats)

webcat444LEVEL 67

Reply by webcat444GOLD

I'm in the Central time zone and I don't mind it a bit that the deadlines in the contests are an hour ahead of me...Cause I am a contest junkie ya know lol....Please just keep it as is....If it ain't broke don't fix it ...It's perfect just the way it is

Starrlina_LionheartLEVEL 50

Reply by Starrlina_LionheartCHAT-ADMIN +2

Bring some coffee! and Join me in the Breakfast club Tuesday-Saturday in singsnap chat 8am-12pm

I agree with keeping it the way it is. many people are used to the SS time zone could cause mayhem if changed. it should remain smooth like it is. i also agree with harley Ty for reaching out to everyone on SS . That is what i love about being apart of SS family. you include everyone on changes to see how they would feel if it were to change. Kuddos to you ! all and all i think keeping it the same would be best! much love

OriginalsLEVEL 66

Reply by OriginalsGOLD

Well i am used to current settings so happy for it to remain

FinnPeterLEVEL 104

Reply by FinnPeterGOLD +1

It's OK to just use ET time, but if you want to show everyone's local time as well, it could be listed as both times i.e.
8:30PM ET SINGSNAP TIME
YOUR LOCAL TIME 3:30AM

This would make a lot of extra work for the programers, so maybe just leave it as it is.
As they say above "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Uncle-PauleyLEVEL 106

Reply by Uncle-PauleyCHAT-ADMIN +8

Things to consider...
My opinions

- Contest and Challenge Deadlines
If are actually going to have contest and challenge deadlines be effective at Midnight, as it arrives, in each time zone ... then by all means, yes. Otherwise, a standard site time is best.

- Feature Pages
If are actually going to have Feature Pages be effective at Midnight, as it arrives, in each time zone ... then by all means, yes. Otherwise, a standard site time is best.

- Promo Deadlines
If are actually going to have Promo deadlines be effective at Midnight, as it arrives, in each time zone ... then by all means, yes. Otherwise, a standard site time is best.

- Volunteer Work
Again, Standardized site time works best for consistency, and, volunteers are always encouraged to work within the 'shift' time that best suits them.
I've got a hard enough time showing up on time as it is! Don't go confusing me! lol

- Communications with your global friends
Well, if I know that 3:00 pm SingSnap time (EST) (4:00 pm - my time) is the best time to talk to my friends in England (8:00 pm - their time) .... that fact will not change, regardless of what the site clock says. Thus, it is better for it to be a standard site time, and, we can continue to engage with each other by a standard clock, and not be confused by time zones.

In Essence, I think that a standardized site time provides the best reference time point, for all things on the SingSnap Site.

CazManiaLEVEL 96

Reply by CazManiaGOLD +2

I think it should remain as it is... I know what time it is where I am and can easily work it out.
It would mess things up a little for Contests etc too.

Bunnykins

Reply by BunnykinsGOLD +2

THE VERY THOUGHT OF YOU. - r/cfbd34e7d

I'm in the UK and I'm fine with how it is now as I know the time difference between SS and here.

Tattooed_AngelLEVEL 77

Reply by Tattooed_AngelGOLD

im I the uk and don't have any issues with the time zones being as they are

Im a true believer in unless its broken ,,,,,,,,,, leave it be:)

Stoney_RoadsLEVEL 64

Reply by Stoney_RoadsPATRON

I would leave it alone! Singsnap time is unique and I like knowing that every contest is ss time; it makes it simpler. If a contest were held in a different time zones posted by hosts in a different time zones it could be a disaster with deadlines!

Happy Singing!!

-Bev-LEVEL 104

Edited reply by -Bev-SPECIAL-EVENTS +6

Well I live in the UK and I am a volunteer..I am so accustomed now to working to Singsnap time to me it matters not I work with it! I know when I first joined Singsnap it was confusing at first...but not now. f anyone wants to convert EST zone they can always google and find Time zone converter to see how it compares with their time zone! I have an app on my phone.. Anyway, does it matter? I just simply use my app and if I have to get up that bit earlier for my shift...then so be it!! An alarm clock works wonders !!! LOL

MikeIIILEVEL 106

Edited reply by MikeIIIGOLD

*Have a great week *2,062 songs uploaded

Keep the status quo. SingSnap time should remain as Ottawa local time. Are you relocating SingSnap headquarters?

CajunQueenBee

Reply by CajunQueenBeeGOLD

I agree with the majority. Different time zones would be so confusing!!!! As it stands now, with SS time, we all understand that our day are some friend’s night! However, we have SsTime in common!!! Having different times would throw everything off!!! My simple mind couldn’t keep up! I vote as it is now! Merry Christmas!!!

Darin_SharonLEVEL 95

Reply by Darin_SharonGOLD

I am so used to it being EST/SingSnap time, that I'd just keep it that way.
If someone is not capable of figuring out the time zone, there is always Google, and cell phones, also have a time display for all of the major cities in the world!

CurlyshirleyLEVEL 97

Edited reply by CurlyshirleyGOLD

Personally I think that it would cause a great deal of confusion being as most people on the site that have been here for a long time automatically look at things in SingSnap time for those that are confused about what SingSnap time is it's always at the very bottom of the page. For example if we say that there is an event in the Sing Snap Chat room and we say that it is at 8 pm. Without using a consistent across the board time zone people will get confused people will show up at 8 p.m. Scotland's time or 8 p.m. Alabama time which is entirely two different times. In my opinion it's not broken don't fix itChanda

I am in the UK and personally I have got use to the time difference.

I agree with Chanda and a few others above, that this would just be too confusing for a lot of people.

Some people really struggle to get to a point where they finely get it, and changing it would be for some people a really big headache (consider the people who find it hard to take in new information or just in general take in new information.) Change is not always a good thing for everyone
Sometimes it can take weeks or months to get use to a major change to something they took the time to get use to in the first place.

If time zones is a problem for some people now, then why not "in the likes of an SS Challenge or Contest" include time zone clocks into the main thread each time on official SS threads permanently!
OR
Have an information thread with time zone differences (like you have for how to navigate around Singsnap)

I think option :- 1) Keep It How It Is - All time stamps will remain in the same format, EST.
But consider adding a permanent time zone thread for reference with a link to it on any official contest/challenge threads as and when they happen for people with a disability or have had SS set up for them because they can not do it them self. There are people who dont use the web/google who may only come to singsnap. Not everyone can be computer savvy

linbLEVEL 73

Reply by linbGOLD

I also think it should be left as it is........I only have to add 3 hours to the clock here on the West Coast of Canada to know what SS time is.....I'm used to doing that, it's pretty simple and it works. I think we're all used to the standard time. We have a lot of seniors as members....keeping it simple and straightforward I think is best.......Suggestion: A time conversion chart could be added as a reference on the SS Information/FAQ page....

DefenseLEVEL 82

Edited reply by Defense

Lol that's what i saidChanda

That's my opinion too on what you said he said

Irreplaceable_MushyLEVEL 68

Edited reply by Irreplaceable_MushyPATRON

I agree with the majority. Keep It how it is already. Being in the UK, when I first started using Singsnap, it was a little disorientating but I learnt pretty quickly how to know the difference between the two timezones. I don't even call it EST...it's Singsnap time to me and I'm sure to many others too...maybe that's a quirky little change you could make?

What may be a little more useful however is to have a clock at the top of the pages or on the main page, so it is more convenient to tell the time around the site. I know there is one in the navigation bar at the bottom of the page but some are not observant of what they may feel is "the small print"...admittedly, I don't tend to take much notice of it very often myself.

You could always have the option to switch between Singsnap time and your own timezones...similar to what the apps do...or even allow people to have both times showing at the same time next to each other or stacked...if that makes sense...

0neVoiceLEVEL 104

Edited reply by 0neVoiceGOLD +12

Spending time at A1A! #DeerfieldBeachLife <3 BRB to play! TY4DaLove ~ Mwah! Zé =:-)

It doesn't matter to me
Little changes like that don't take away from singing & Fun...
Go for it!

SparkybeeLEVEL 39

Edited reply by SparkybeeGOLD

I really can't see how you can improve it from what is an already fabulous site with the current format!! If you did improve it then that would be amazing but don't fix what's not broke.

KeithK1971LEVEL 83

Reply by KeithK1971CHAT-ADMIN +15

I wouldn't change the time at all. You need one uniform time zone to make everything flow smoothly. Changing it will only complicate things.

PabloCruzLEVEL 84

Reply by PabloCruzCHAT-ADMIN +4

I say keep it as is, as was stated above in the comments, "why fix it if it ain't broke"

LeslieLEVEL 62

Reply by LeslieGOLD

It ain't broke so don't fix it. I think overall leaving it as is will be less confusing for all of the points that you mentioned.

MilchLEVEL 52

Reply by MilchPATRON

I could be acclimated to which ever was decided upon because I am new as a volunteer. I am also not affected by time zone change here in Hawaii.

Terminator9249LEVEL 34

Reply by Terminator9249

I prefer to keep it as it is now I am use to this way.

MasquaradeLEVEL 70

Reply by Masquarade

You could make it a user preference - users can choose which time is displayed. I imagine for many, it will be the original SS time.

FLwingnutLEVEL 78

Reply by FLwingnutGOLD +7

YIKES !! I have a time trying to keep track of the time zones here in the states with Standard and Daylight Savings. I'm a lost puppy with world wide time zones, and I fly planes so I am supposed to know Universal Time by heart, Guess What ! I don't but I guess that is what they have computers for,

ALL THAT TO SAY " EEHH ! leave it !, I think I finally have ET figured out,

TazCWWLEVEL 53

Reply by TazCWWCHAT-ADMIN +2

Keep it like it is

-Eeyore-LEVEL 110

Reply by -Eeyore-GOLD

I think it's fine the way it is. I think people newcomers to the site can figure it out pretty quickly too, without much confusion. I think it would be more confusing to change things.

islandgirl54LEVEL 65

Reply by islandgirl54GOLD +3

Joined singsnap 12 years ago today

REMAIN THE SAME!!

__Angels__LEVEL 108

Reply by __Angels__GOLD +6

Happy Father's Day to each one <3!!!! Hugs & Blesings!!!<3

Keep It How It Is - All time stamps will remain in the same format, EST.!!!!Agree with each one. If change will be more confusing .

Hugs & Blessings!!!!

blazaLEVEL 47

Reply by blazaGOLD

Keep it the same. I heard a rumor that world governments were debating whether to change the world standard time (GMT) to Singsnap Standard Time (SST) anyway.

DevilessLEVEL 103

Reply by DevilessCHAT-ADMIN +4

Having been around since more or less the start i am so used to the SS time, i automatically convert my time to SS time ,
The only time i sometimes get in a muddle is when our clocks change or SS clocks change and i don't realize, then i'm like a noob for the day

I know this is different and probably unchangeable but I actually wish that the chat room time stamps would show SS time rather than my own time. As that can occasionally cause issues if i am taking a cap for something, then i have to reverse my times lol.

So apart from that, please leave as is, why try to fix what isn't broke

GlynnisLEVEL 106

Edited reply by GlynnisGOLD

Leave it as SingSnap Time (EST)

Maybe there are situations where local time is needed,
but I haven't run into any problems with time zones. Thanks for asking.

Next >>