Music Therapy!

This topic is listed in General Discussion. It has been viewed 1,405 times and 115 replies have been made.

Next >>
NovellaLEVEL 111

Edited post by NovellaSTAFF +28

If anyone is interested in being a site volunteer (Chat Room) Let me know! <3

by Sunny_K

Sing And Release!

Even though both singing and speaking requires the use of mouth, lungs and larynx to complete, most of the activity in the brain occurs on separate sides. When we speak, we prominently use the left side of our brain which is responsible for sentence structure and formation of words, but when we sing we mostly use the right side, which is for rhythm and melody. Not suggesting one side of the brain sits idle while the other-side is at work, but that positron emission tomography (PET) scan and Functional magnetic resonance imaging (FMRI) have shown while singing, majority of activity does occur in the right side of the brain. An example of this at work is famous singer and comedian Mel Tillus’s stutter that was always present when he spoke, yet completely vanished when he sung.

Today more and more doctors are harnessing the power of singing to treat such things as depression to language deficits caused from strokes or injury. Melodic Intonation Therapy (MIT) which entails patients using a short rhythmic melody to say phrases for example as “I love you”, can eventually assist the patent to begin to state what they want, without the use of singing it. Congresswoman Gabby Giffords a victim of an assassination attempt that damaged the left side of her brain, learned to speak again 10 months later using a form of MIT. Studies are showing patients that received speech therapy along with MIT have more improvement than those that received speech therapy alone.

So what exactly is happening in our brains when we sing? Neuroscience has found when we sing neural pathways connections are created and in return releases endorphins and oxytocin which brings about positive psychological effect that alleviates anxiety, stress and depression. Research has also discovered that when we sing there is a 150% increase of Immunoglobulin A, an antibody that plays a crucial role in the immune function of mucous membranes.

When I’m having an emotional down day or anxiety has reared it’s ugly head, I can turn on SingSnap, sing a few tunes and certainly feel much better. Love to hear your experiences, do you feel more positive after singing?

Happy Singing

ChadCLEVEL 63

Reply by ChadCGOLD +1

-Bev-LEVEL 104

Reply by -Bev-SPECIAL-EVENTS +5

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade!

Absolutely Kelly agree with this...the right side of the brain is our creative side..and when I sing I always get that feel good factor......An interesting article and well written...most enjoyable read! Well done girl!!!

SingingRainbowLEVEL 106

Reply by SingingRainbowSPECIAL-EVENTS +9

J&D's Country girls @ heart#98 in auditions NOW! Click here ladies!

Oh wow!! I'm flagging this and coming back in a little bit with my coffee , this is gonna be a GREAT READ. :Thanks Kelly xx

Rhonda_KayeLEVEL 85

Reply by Rhonda_KayeGOLD +1

My daughter is a nurse and she told me some of this when I started ss, thanks for sharing to all!

KellyAnne4PeaceLEVEL 109

Reply by KellyAnne4PeacePATRON +8

diva71LEVEL 109

Edited reply by diva71GOLD +2

You know, I experience this first hand every day when I sing. Because of all the seizures and severe migraines that I suffer, I now have short and long term memory loss. I can barely remember my childhood, anymore. Yet... I can a hear a song from when I was growing up and still know all the words by heart. Music sticks to me that easily yet sometimes on my bad days I can't even find the right words to be able to carry on a full conversation with someone.

It's really amazing how the brain truly works!!!

NovellaLEVEL 111

Reply by NovellaSTAFF +28

If anyone is interested in being a site volunteer (Chat Room) Let me know! <3

You know, I experience this first hand every day when I sing. Because of all the seizures and severe migraines that I suffer, I now have short and long term memory loss. I can barely remember my childhood, anymore. Yet... I can a hear a song from when I was growing up and still know all the words by heart. Music sticks to me that easily yet sometimes on my bad days I can't even find the right words to be able to carry on a full conversation with someone.

It's really amazing how the brain truly works!!!
diva71

Isn't that something!! I am sorry you have such difficult things to deal with

I'm the same way with remembering lyrics or even associating a song with a very specific memory of something that happened 20 years ago. But ask me what I had for breakfast yesterday and it's a lost cause!

Terri-anneLEVEL 87

Reply by Terri-anneGOLD +1

Thank you for the lovely summery, sun trinkets! <3 x

Food for thought up there..Was pretty interesting reading!

starsearchLEVEL 106

Reply by starsearchGOLD +4

Yes, I couldn't state it better! SS is great therapy for all!

trojan55LEVEL 111

Reply by trojan55PATRON +8

#BADGEBUSTER

Very interesting, but, isn't a Brain required to begin with ..

vflgalLEVEL 101

Reply by vflgalSPECIAL-EVENTS +3

Great article Kelly

Angelgirl758LEVEL 111

Reply by Angelgirl758GOLD +22

Dr. Singsnap Challenge: r/c568e086d

I agree totally!!!

LionessDDLEVEL 45

Reply by LionessDDGOLD +1

Sunny K,
This is such a great approach to health!
You did a fantastic write up to reach out to singers on “Sing Snap”.... singing is therapeutic!
Thank you to you and the staff!
Denise

MatkamLEVEL 104

Reply by MatkamGOLD +3

Most of our Happines Arises from the context of our relationship with others

Ditto !

Bucks_FizzLEVEL 109

Reply by Bucks_FizzGOLD +2

I do find singing can lift my spirits, but sometimes if I'm too low I can't even bring myself to sing to help myself. Overall though singing/music definitely makes me happier.

mystikopalLEVEL 81

Reply by mystikopalGOLD +1

Gotta love those endophins!! Im walkin' on sunshine baby yea!!
~Karen ~

SadieBabesLEVEL 111

Reply by SadieBabesGOLD +1

BrighteyedDimplesLEVEL 81

Reply by BrighteyedDimplesGOLD +9

John 3:30 (KJV) He must increase, but I must decrease.

SS is awesome for those who have lung issues also
Singing strengths your air in your lungs, as least
it does mine.

Well written Sunny K !!!!

I love this place and family I have gotten here
God bless you all
JudyLynn

cannotsing24LEVEL 106

Reply by cannotsing24GOLD +10

Absolutely True , love it best to keep fit,,,,,,,

CheybabyxxLEVEL 110

Reply by CheybabyxxGOLD +1

Such truth to this! Music really does heal!

DaBratttLEVEL 102

Reply by DaBratttGOLD

<3<3

DaisyTeaLEVEL 99

Edited reply by DaisyTea

Yes!
And singing raises ones' vibrations too.

MaxyWaxyLEVEL 97

Reply by MaxyWaxyGOLD

Ineresting.....

-TinaLEVEL 106

Reply by -TinaSPECIAL-EVENTS +1

Awesome article Kelly

kormatiLEVEL 77

Edited reply by kormati

SunshineLEVEL 95

Edited reply by SunshineGOLD +4

Thanks for the information Kelly....very interesting!

Music has been "therapy" for me as far back as I can remember. It came to my rescue so many times during my childhood! I can remember so many hours spent learning song lyrics so I could sing along with the artist. Can you imagine riding in a car and not being able to sing along? haha!

So many songs for so many life experiences and there is always one that can lift my spirits when the need arises. Sometimes I don't post them to the public.....I just sing them to make me feel better! This is what Singsnap gives me!

GlynnisLEVEL 106

Reply by GlynnisGOLD

Thanks Sunny

__Angels__LEVEL 108

Reply by __Angels__GOLD +2

forum/topic/b91e6174?page=9c1c1 need go to the doc , its true ill bavk later hugs to all!!

Agree with Sunny and thanks for the nice article

Misty245LEVEL 94

Reply by Misty245PATRON +3

Misty_NiteLEVEL 51

Reply by Misty_NiteGOLD

I am changing my user name from Juanitaknight to Misty Night.

Absolutely!!! Music soothes the mind and soul. One song can bring back a thousand memories. It is medicine for the brain...

SingingRainbowLEVEL 106

Reply by SingingRainbowSPECIAL-EVENTS +9

J&D's Country girls @ heart#98 in auditions NOW! Click here ladies!

Thank you for such a wonderful article Kelly Music has always been "my home" when I needed an "escape" from reality. My "safe place" as is singsnap. When I feel anxious, down, when I need to release some feelings I can't necessarily put into words, I turn to singsnap and I come sing my heart out. I also come sing when I just want to have some plain ole fun! Singing is good for me and it suits everyone one of my moods and Lord knows I have many haha! Music is good for the soul, music keeps us smiling and sane. Without music, life would be so dull and mondaine. Music is the color you add to your life's portrait and only you are it's painter. Sing! Thanks Kelly

socomicefoxLEVEL 65

Edited reply by socomicefoxGOLD

Have a awesome weekend singsnap!

Yes yes yes. Being able to just sing and let out all the emotions is just amazing how music can actually heal a person who is having a rough day and is sad. If I sing or listen to a song specially if I sing a song that I grew up with where events happened in my life when I 1st heard that song its like as I am saying the lyrics memories will come to me. Very great article Sunny K!

RoseL6557LEVEL 109

Reply by RoseL6557GOLD +2

Thank you Kathy for sharing this information, your right on, singing and music is also used to help those with Parkinsons to walk, studies show examples of gait with silence and using a walker versus music, singing and taking steps to the beat. Amazing difference in the ability to walk without the gait disturbance. Again thanks!

Anna-ReaLEVEL 99

Reply by Anna-ReaGOLD +3

Happy Friday ! Remembering Memorial Day for those who've fallen and those left behind, Thank you !

Not sure what or where I would be if there were no music ...

it's like AIR for me

0neVoiceLEVEL 103

Reply by 0neVoiceGOLD +10

Dr Singsnap Challenge! I had fun! I'll finish my listens 'morrow! [ Happy Memorial Day weekend 2 all! ]Mwah

woo hoo! Oxygen in da houzzz! Great stuff!

Me_JoyceLEVEL 108

Reply by Me_JoyceGOLD +10

People ultimately don’t care about the journey, if the end is worth it.

Love this.. Hugs, Joyce

ChannelviewPeteLEVEL 37

Edited reply by ChannelviewPeteGOLD

Singing is free therapy. Love the article and I love SS

SNUGGLES-10

Reply by SNUGGLES-10GOLD +3

LOVIN LIFE**FAMILY**FRIENDS**LISTENING TO YOU*******SMILES******HUGSSSSSSSSS

TRUE.....IT'S MY HAPPY PILL EVERYDAY....SMILES...

AuntyWalnutLEVEL 102

Reply by AuntyWalnutGOLD

Kezzz508LEVEL 57

Reply by Kezzz508GOLD

It's so true! My daughter stutters, especially when she is nervous, but when she plays guitar or the drums she doesn't! She used to sing when she was little and same thing.. no stutter! She's gotten a little shy now about singing, but I'm still trying to coax it out of her! Music has been my go to my whole entire life. It's a healthy outlet to express our feelings and relieve any built up tension. I used to have such performance anxiety.. SS has really helped me grow out of that. Especially when I sing and play on the keyboard. I'm even writing my own songs now and have out a few out there. What a feeling it is when someone says how they can relate or how you poured your heart out! Music is food for the soul

StrikingTopazLEVEL 108

Reply by StrikingTopazPATRON +2

r/c2b16d8f9 Fullofgrace Ministry thank you for. joining us

SO TRUE I HAVE SUNG ALL MY LIFE AND STILL SANE LOL MUSIC IS ONE OF THE GREATEST THING THANK YOU SS FOR THE PAST 8 YRS ON HERE

EmSingerLEVEL 52

Reply by EmSingerGOLD

I suffer mental health issues and it is amazing how singing is starting to make all my troubles of life lift away from my mind, while singing. I stopped singing pretty much for a couple of years, but a friend has persuaded me to try and get back into it and I am glad I am trying, because it does help with various problems, whether real or in the mind. Almost like a kind of meditation.

EmSingerLEVEL 52

Reply by EmSingerGOLD

I do find singing can lift my spirits, but sometimes if I'm too low I can't even bring myself to sing to help myself. Overall though singing/music definitely makes me happier.Bucks_Fizz

I think I understand this to a degree... if you ever need to message me, you can.

LaciLEVEL 107

Reply by LaciGOLD +2

Do random listens...you might find some treasures!

Thanks for the information

If I'm really down, I don't feel like singing but I do listen a lot. But, as I'm coming out of the blues, singing helps me to get back on my feet.

SmallTownJamesLEVEL 76

Reply by SmallTownJamesGOLD

Great article

FinnPeterLEVEL 104

Reply by FinnPeterGOLD +6

Very interesting information for sure. Great read thanks!

sandannieLEVEL 92

Reply by sandannieGOLD +4

What a wonderful article to see shared. I worked in a Shelter as case manager for disabled Veterans and many of them had rather serious "memory" issues. When we had "Sing-a-long Day" it was amazing to see and hear everyone in our huge cafeteria belting out the words to the music, laughing together and just plain being happy again. The euphoria seemed to last for days. I share "SINGSNAP" everywhere I can, thank you, thank you!

sweetietlkLEVEL 106

Reply by sweetietlkGOLD

StaceFace1019LEVEL 86

Reply by StaceFace1019GOLD +6

We’re getting pounded with storms tonight. I’ll be back later to catch up on listenin!

Singing has always been my sanctuary. Science now backs that up!

TartarSauceLEVEL 47

Reply by TartarSauceGOLD

This was a good read. I usually come on Singsnap for relief. When I'm super stressed I either write or sing. It's always been therapeutic for me.

Next >>