Everyone's A Winner Music Festival Challenge/Showcase Thingy LIX

This topic is listed in Challenges & Themes - Completed. It has been viewed 10,397 times and 358 replies have been made.

Next >>
PCSongmanLEVEL 27

Post by PCSongmanGOLD

This challenge is open to all. It runs until Tuesday Mar 11th at 6PM EST. Its purpose is to give people a forum to have their songs heard. There is no judging involved. Everyone who participates is a winner.

PLEASE READ THESE GUIDELINES AND THE THEME DESCRIPTION CAREFULLY BEFORE POSTING

1. Post ONE OR TWO songs that fit the theme. You may post a THIRD one on or after Thursday. You may post a FOURTH song on or after Saturday.

Your song can be a new song or one that was already recorded.

**2. For EACH song you post, listen to at least SIX other people’s songs and leave feedback. That means, if you post 2 songs you should listen to 12 others over the course of the 7 days of the challenge, a little less than 2 a day. If you post 3 songs, listen to 18 others and so on. You may, of course, listen to more if you choose.

Listening is the most important part of this challenge. Supporting and experiencing others is what it’s about.

3. We prefer to listen to the whole song. Try not to listen to the same people every day. Give new people a chance as well.

4. Do not post glitter or large graphics as feedback or in the thread.

5. Feel free to come back to the current challenge thread and write about your experiences. Mention songs you heard or anything else that strikes you. And please go back each day and listen to others.

6. You don't need to post a song to listen but you need to listen if you post a song. It's best to post earlier in the challenge. But you can post up until the end. Just be aware that the closing hours of the challenge are better suited to listening than trying to squeeze in a last minute post.

7. Please read the challenge FAQ on our HOME PAGE by clicking the link below. There are many tips about how to post links and how to edit your posts. Try to avoid making multiple posts IN A ROW by going back and editing your posts if you left something out. You have 30 minutes after you post to add to or correct your post by hitting the EDIT button.

Everyone's A Winner Challenge Home Page and Chat Room Entrance

New challenge themes are announced every Tuesday at 6PM EST.

Everyone’s A Winner Chat Room
We have our own chat room where you can sing live or just listen to and chat with others in this community. It’s a lot of fun and a great crowd of friendly people. Come hang out with your new online friends.

We have regular, rather lengthy gatherings as follows -
Thursday beginning at 7PM EST (4PM PST/12M GMT)
Friday at 6PM EST (3PM PST/11PM GMT) and at 11 or 12M EST (8 or 9PM PST/4 or 5AM GMT)
Saturday around 8:30PM EST (5:30PM PST/1:30AM GMT)
Sunday afternoon starting at 1PM (10AM PST/6PM GMT)

But you are welcome in there at any time as long as you follow the guidelines. If you want to organize a gathering at other times, you can invite others to meet you with PMs or by mentioning it in the challenge thread.

To get into the chat room, use the login at the bottom of the HOME PAGE (see link above). If you've not been to the chat room before or if you need to brush up on the guidelines and how it works, please read item # 11 before entering.

To access our archive of all of the past challenges
Everyone’s A Winner Archive Index

-------------------------------------------------------
Okay class, settle down. I hope you are all well-rested from last week's Lullabye Challenge, which we must again thank Janet for leading. This week we're going to pump up the volume and discuss the genesis of the modern day Rock Music Festival. Can anyone tell me the name of the first large, outdoor Rock Music Festival and the year in which it was held?

If you answered the Woodstock Music and Art Fair held August 15-18. 1969, you were incorrect. If you answered the Isle of Wight Festivals held during the summers of 1968, 1969 and 1970, you were also incorrect. And even if you answered the Monterey Pop Festival held June 16-18, 1967, I can only give you partial credit, as you only got the year right. Only those who cited the Fantasy Fair & Magic Mountain Music Festival, held at the summit of Mount Tamalpais in Marin County California on June 2-3, 1967, answered correctly.

These festivals, and others held elsewhere from 1967-1970, were defining moments for the Boomer Generation. This was especially true for both the Monterey Pop Festival, which is viewed as the apex of The Summer of Love in 1967 and, of course, for Woodstock in 1969. The festivals created a new model for large-audience, outdoor concerts. The innovation and impact of these festivals on both the Boomer Generation and society at large are still being felt today.

Your homework challenge is to post and listen to songs by any of the artists (see partial list below) who performed at these early music festivals or subsequent namesake festivals. For example, Woodstock namesake events were also held in 1973, 1989, 1994 and 1999 with many, more current artists and bands. You will find a wealth of information about many of these festivals in Wikipedia (see links below and links on the Woodstock page for each namesake event).

PCSongmanLEVEL 27

Reply by PCSongmanGOLD

Festivals...

Fastasy Fair & Magic Mountain Music Festival (1967)

Monterey Pop Festival (1967)

Schaefer Music Festival (1967)

Isle of Wight Festival (1968 - 1970)

Atlanta International Pop Festival (1969-1970)

Altamont Free Concert (1969)

Woodstock Music and Art Fair (1969)

Atlantic City Pop Festival (1969)

Partial List of Performers...

Al Kooper
American Dream
Arlo Guthrie
Aurn
Aynsley Dunbar
Beverly
Big Brother & The Holding Company
Bert Sommer
Blodwyn Pig
Blonde On Blonde
Blood, Sweat & Tears
Bob Dylan
Booker T. & the M.G.s
Bonzo Dog Band
Buddy Miles
Buddy Rich
Buffalo Springfield
Canned Heat
Chicago Transit Authority
Country Joe & The Fish
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
Dave Brubeck
Dr. John
Edgar Broughton Band
Eclection
Edgar Winter
Family
Fat Mattress
Frank Zappa
Free
Gary Farr
Grand Funk Railroad
Grateful Dead
Gypsy
Hugh Masekela
Incredible String Band
Indo Jazz Infusions
Iron Butterfly
Janice Joplin
Jefferson Airplane
Joan Baez
Joe Cocker
Johnny Rivers
Johnny Winter
John Sebastian
Joni Mitchell
Julie Felix
Keef Hartley Band
Laura Nyro
Led Zeppelin
Lighthouse
Little Richard
Liverpool Scene
Lothar and the Hand People
Lou Rawls
Marsha Hunt And White Trash
Melanie
Mighty Baby
Moby Grape
Mother Earth
Mountain
Otis Redding
Pacific Gas & Electric
Paul Butterfield Blues Band
Pentangle
Pretty Things
Procal Harum
Quicksilver Messenger Service
Quill
Ravi Shankar
Richie Havens
Santana
Scott McKenzie
Sha-Na-Na
Simon & Garfunkel
Sir Douglas Quintet
Sly & the Family Stone
Spirit
Steve Miller Band
Sweetwater
Ten Years After
Ten Wheel Drive
The Allman Brothers Band
The Animals
The Association
The Band
The Blues Project
The Butterfield Blues Band
The Byrds
The Crazy World of Arthur Brown
The Electric Flag
The Flying Burrito Brothers
The Group With No Name
The Jimmy Hendrix Experience
The Mamas and The Papas
The Moody Blues
The Nice
The Paupers
The Rolling Stones
The Who
Tim Buckley
Tim Harden
Third Ear Band
Three Dog Night
Tom Paxton

PCSongmanLEVEL 27

Reply by PCSongmanGOLD

I hope you enjoy this week's challenge as much as I enjoyed putting it together.

To get us started I've recorded a landmark song written by Stephen Stills back in 1966, when he was a member of a short-lived band named Buffalo Springfield. This song was played at the Monterey Pop Festival.

The alumni of this group went on to tremendous careers both individually and as members of other bands. Stephen Stills, David Crosby and Neil Young were all members at one point. Thus, Buffalo Springfield is a direct forebearer of Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. Richie Furay went on to become a founding member of Poco and later of the Souther Hillman Furay Band and also the Richie Furay Band. Jim Messina was also a founding member of Poco, and later became the "other half" of Loggins and Messina.

Here's...

For What It's Worth by Buffalo Springfield

WravensWingLEVEL 68

Edited reply by WravensWingGOLD

Wow, Howard!!! This Challenge is going to be great!!! What a fantastic idea you came up with and I would imagine that it took quite a bit of work to put this together. Kudos to you!!

If it's ok, I would like to submit a song from Lit, a band that performed at Woodstock 1999:

My Own Worst Enemy

Jenny

Reply by JennyGOLD

Wow plenty to keep us busy here ...nice one PC just going out beach-crawling for the day ...all that sea air should produce a song by this afternoon ...see you all later!

walkingstickLEVEL 29

Reply by walkingstickGOLD

Woo Hoo! right down my alley Howard!

Bless you a thousand-fold! :))))))

Be home in a few hours to check out some songs to sing.

Oh, and I just have to add this link to a newspaper article in my city,
about on-line karaoke with
bits from telephone interviews with myself and then Trevor.

She interviewed me a few months ago and I completely forgot about it until one of my nature house volunteers e-mailed me the link LOL:

http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/capital_van_isl/story.html?id=10622b9c-38f8-4425-914f-1aacfc54f3e9

PCSongmanLEVEL 27

Reply by PCSongmanGOLD

Rachel: Perfectly ok. Can't wait to hear it.

WravensWingLEVEL 68

Reply by WravensWingGOLD

walkingstick

That's awesome, Deb!! And, you are right!!! We ARE a bunch of addicts!! LOL

KittenKatLEVEL 25

Reply by KittenKat

Hooray Howard! I'm gonna love these songs. . .thanks to these festivals, 'cause my favorite thing to do still is go to outdoor music festivals!! Gonna love this theme!
xxooxxoo

TahoestarrLEVEL 17

Reply by Tahoestarr

Okay Boys and Girls....this song was performed by Blood Sweat and Tears at the 1969 Woodstock Festival.

Spinning Wheel

PCSongmanLEVEL 27

Edited reply by PCSongmanGOLD

Deb: Great to see online karaoke and especially SingSnap getting some ink. We should see many additional articles on this subject this year. Excellent quotes from you. Now, please sing something for us to celebrate.

JJOAKLEVEL 3

Reply by JJOAKGOLD

Hi All,
Was so glad to make Atlanta festival, and just did this song recently. Will get to another soon.

Pieces Of April
Thee Dog Night

http://www.singsnap.com/snap/watchandlisten/play/b8bb80cb

Group Huggs

WravensWingLEVEL 68

Edited reply by WravensWingGOLD

Ok, so I wanted to find an older song to sing and when I started scanning the list, I realized I don't really know that many older songs. But, I think I found one to attempt from Jimmy Hendrix, who performed at Woodstock 1969:

Foxy Lady

Sorry in advance to any big fans of this song!!

PCSongmanLEVEL 27

Reply by PCSongmanGOLD

Folks, you simply cannot miss Rachel's Foxy Lady!

johngolfLEVEL 70

Reply by johngolfGOLD

PLEASE JOIN US FIOR THE A-Z OF SONGS. LETTER ( J ) THIS WEEK.

Hi everyone, thanks for the challenge P.C. I dont know many of the artists listed ....but here is one.

Abracadaba...............Steve Miller Band

GREAT LIL NUMBER THIS

http://www.singsnap.com/snap/r/bb1063641

tjmagician

Reply by tjmagician

Here is on by the Stones
http://www.singsnap.com/snap/r/bdf2d227

Sonsi

Reply by SonsiGOLD

walkingstick

That's awesome, Deb!! And, you are right!!! We ARE a bunch of addicts!! LOLWravensWing

Yep ! WE ARE !!!!!!!!!!! Awesome Deb !

TracyB

Reply by TracyBGOLD

I sat the last challenge out, except for a couple of comments, and I was going to stay out for this one too, but, oh well, guess I can't! I was wanting to record this song anyway, and Howard has Grand Funk (Railroad) listed above!

Bad Time

Oh, by the way, if anyone's interested, I'm going to pop into the chat room around 8 Eastern time (52 min. from now).

KittenKatLEVEL 25

Reply by KittenKat

I have one for you. . .

Melanie
What Have They Done to My Song
http://www.singsnap.com/snap/r/bc12d3a10

Deb. the article was wonderful. . .so glad SS is getting some recognition, even if we are addicts-ha!!

fofun

Reply by fofunGOLD +1

Woo Hoo! right down my alley Howard!

Bless you a thousand-fold! :))))))

Be home in a few hours to check out some songs to sing.

She interviewed me a few months ago and I completely forgot about it until one of my nature house volunteers e-mailed me the link

walkingstick

THAT IS COOL DEB :))))))

RLSSOPKOLEVEL 13

Reply by RLSSOPKO

Hi Everyone!!! Howard, I love this Challenge idea!

This is Blood Sweat and Tears'
Spinning Wheel.

Can't wait to listen to all of my rocker friends!

Muah!

Roberta

TahoestarrLEVEL 17

Reply by Tahoestarr

Wow....Deb and SingSnap are stars! Congrats Deb!!!!!

RLSSOPKOLEVEL 13

Reply by RLSSOPKO

Oops..Sorry Leah--I posted the same song as you did. I read Howard's post, went to pick a song, sang it, posted it, and then read the other posts...GREAT MINDS!

Hey Deb..great article..

TahoestarrLEVEL 17

Reply by Tahoestarr

No worries Roberta....the more the merrier I always say :))))

TahoestarrLEVEL 17

Edited reply by Tahoestarr

Howard, this is fantastic! This period of music takes me to a great time! I love it! Perfect choice!

BronxBruceLEVEL 18

Edited reply by BronxBruceGOLD

Hi guys. Great challenge theme Howard!

Here's a couple of old tunes from me. If I get a chance, I'll try and post a new one later in the week some time. If you've heard these before, no need to hear them again.

Bob Dylan
Like A Rolling Stone

Jethro Tull
Aqualung

Jubi

Reply by JubiGOLD

Congrats Deb!!!

Jubi

Reply by JubiGOLD

Here is my one song for this challenge.......the only one I had pre-recorded..........just don't have time to do another one.........hope you all like and thanks for listening......and looking forward to these rocking songs

You are so Beautiful

http://www.singsnap.com/snap/r/a9ad0b1b

Cerebraljam

Reply by CerebraljamGOLD +1

Nice challenge Howard... having an early night... loved all that I have heard.. nite all.

fofun

Reply by fofunGOLD +1

Great listening guys and gals, I'm discovering, I love Rock and especially classic stuff, not so much the heavy stuff, but my voice don't sing it lol Nite Janet! Thanks for the hard work putting this one together Howard, lot's of reference's here!

GlorihaLEVEL 63

Reply by Gloriha

Is anyone else having problems? I've recorded twice and when I went to listen, SS froze and it never came up. Is this some cosmic/karmic hint that I need to practice more? LOL

waltkoLEVEL 53

Reply by waltkoGOLD

Here's my first song by the Mamas and the Papas "Monday Monday" and they where at several of the early rock festivals
http://www.singsnap.com/snap/r/b6bece4f

Sonsi

Edited reply by SonsiGOLD

Hi there !!!

I have a wee tune that i like very very much, it has been recorded in January while going over a cold. It was gonna be the only way to grab my low voice !

California Dreaming

See you all tomorrow !

kikiLEVEL 26

Reply by kikiGOLD

Great theme for the challenge!
My song is by Crosby Stills Nash and Young~
Suite: Judy Blue Eyes

tjmagician

Reply by tjmagician

Here is my second song. A Bob Dylan tune.
http://www.singsnap.com/snap/r/b7f4844f

walkingstickLEVEL 29

Edited reply by walkingstickGOLD

In honour of the theme this week
which I am really excited about
I would just like to say:

FAR OUT MAN!

JPow-79LEVEL 49

Reply by JPow-79GOLD +1

This is such a groovy idea!!

"Monday, Monday" - Mamas & the Papas
http://www.singsnap.com/snap/r/b0e99851

walkingstickLEVEL 29

I also wanted to say
that Singsap in general
and the EAW challenges in particular
are a perfect example

of how people learn
by doing and listening and doing....

Listening to my friends singing here
on these challenges
and noticing how much each of us has grown.....

Well that is a real thrill
and says alot for the safe place we create here
for each of us to be ourselves..

And we do it by
listening to and supporting people here

and by taking risks to sing
and to try new things

because we feel safe enough
to do so here....

And so
through our mutual passion and love for music and singing
we grow so quickly musically.......

What a wonderfully delightful school this is
filled with marvelous music and good friends.

As you can see
I am feeling rather grateful this week
and can't help but
shout out about it.

Thanks everyone here
for being yourselves!

Muah!

walkingstickLEVEL 29

I also wanted to say
that Singsap in general
and the EAW challenges in particular
are a perfect example

of how people learn
by doing and listening and doing....

Listening to my friends singing here
on these challenges
and noticing how much each of us has grown.....

Well that is a real thrill
and says alot for the safe place we create here
for each of us to be ourselves..

And we do it by
listening to and supporting people here

and by taking risks to sing
and to try new things

because we feel safe enough
to do so here....

And so
through our mutual passion and love for music and singing
we grow so quickly musically.......

What a wonderfully delightful school this is
filled with marvelous music and good friends.

As you can see
I am feeling rather grateful this week
and can't help but
shout out about it.

Thanks everyone here
for being yourselves!

Muah!

BronxBruceLEVEL 18

Reply by BronxBruceGOLD

Hi everyone!

Great start to the challenge. This one looks like a lot of fun. Come to think of it, which one isn't?

New music mix has been added to the Home Page

Enjoy!

PCSongmanLEVEL 27

Reply by PCSongmanGOLD

Yes Bruce, I have to agree, this Challenge is off and running at a nice clip. Thanks to everyone who has participated so far. We're looking forward to hearing from those of you who haven't had a chance to submit a song yet. There's plenty of music to pick from so jump on in, the music is fiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeee!

JohnTaylorLEVEL 59

Reply by JohnTaylorGOLD

Hi gang thanks so much to all of you who visited my lullaby song, it is so nice having such wonderful comments from the most talented people on singsnap. My music festival challenge is from Mr. Lou Rawls, called "Lady Love", I hope you enjoy. http://www.singsnap.com/snap/watchandlisten/play/b8de3dc7

msmellowspiceLEVEL 48

Reply by msmellowspiceGOLD

Fun! Here's a song, done a few years after the festival circuit, by John Sebastian

http://www.singsnap.com/snap/r/c312fe577

I already submitted my version of the following song for a previous challenge, but I would love for someone else to do it. Can we make requests here? John Sebastian sang it at the first Woodstock....

http://www.singsnap.com/snap/singandrecord/record?song_id=b82d002

As you can see, I'm a bit of a fan of his.

walkingstickLEVEL 29

Wow! So many artists to choose from
and I was so excited to get started when I got home.

Snap crashed on and off for a bit
so I had dinner and now....

I am exhausted LOL! I'm gonna take a break for now
and hope my energy picks up before bedtime...

If not, I will have to do a song tomorrow then.

:))

walkingstickLEVEL 29

P.S. Sorry for the repeat of my long note up there.....Snap was freezing on my and I clicked submit one too many times.

PCSongmanLEVEL 27

Reply by PCSongmanGOLD

Venice (msmellowspice): I see no reason why you should not make requests. Picking up on my classroon analogy in my Challenge intro I think we should view fulfilled requests as Extra Credit! Serioiusly, I've wanted EAW to do a request Challenge for a long time. Perhaps I'll remind myself of that next time I host. Regardless, for this Challenge, everyone who submits a song should feel free to make a request.

waltkoLEVEL 53

Reply by waltkoGOLD

Howard this is a great challenge there are so many songs to choose from mostly because I'm old and was around for Woodstock and the others lol , here's one by csn&y
http://www.singsnap.com/snap/r/c11092317

waltkoLEVEL 53

Reply by waltkoGOLD

I did this song not for the challenge but for msmellowspice who requested that someone do it
http://www.singsnap.com/snap/r/baa94e57

Angelina48LEVEL 14

Edited reply by Angelina48GOLD

Quote is from Deb. Don't know what I did wrong.
[quote=

http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/capital_van_isl/story.html?id=10622b9c-38f8-4425-914f-1aacfc54f3e9

Cool, Deb, can I have your autograph now before people start beating down your door? Does anyone want mine? lol
Angie

Lullabye_LadyLEVEL 52

Reply by Lullabye_LadyGOLD

To get tested or not that is the question!

Okay everyone! Didn't think I would ever share this one again but it fits the theme.

Have you ever heard a Lullabye Lady singing Blood, Sweat and Tears? Well my friends now you will! I hope you enjoy this fun song.

Spinning Wheel
http://www.singsnap.com/snap/r/b9e29143

Karyn.

IsingLEVEL 53

Reply by IsingGOLD

I've been gone this weekend with my Mom, So I'm going to Paste a song I did a while back by the Great OTIS REDDING (Live Version) CAN'T TURN IT LOOSE http://www.singsnap.com/snap/r/bec5217c OOXX Ising

Next >>