Honest critique of your song

This topic is listed in Singing & Songwriting Tips. It has been viewed 19,837 times and 898 replies have been made.

Next >>
RobbGLEVEL 56

Post by RobbGGOLD

Hi there! If you are just looking for someone to listen to a song of yours and give you an honest critique, then welcome. I have a fair amount vocal experience, and could possibly offer some suggestions that might help, if you like. God bless you folks, and I hope you are enjoying your Singsnap experience

BrightIrishEyesLEVEL 84

Reply by BrightIrishEyes

WOW!!!!!.....NOW THIS COULD BE SCARY!!!!LOL
(KIDDING)....(((((((HUGS)))))). Kate

SHALL I FIND A SONG?.....I'LL THINK ABOUT IT!

RobbGLEVEL 56

Reply by RobbGGOLD

WOW!!!!!.....NOW THIS COULD BE SCARY!!!!LOL
(KIDDING)....(((((((HUGS)))))). Kate

SHALL I FIND A SONG?.....I'LL THINK ABOUT IT!BrightIrishEyes

LOL, don't worry Kate, I'm gentle...mostly

MarshaMarshLEVEL 8

Reply by MarshaMarsh

The only time I like my voice is when I sing while playing my acoustic! Other then that it's always to high or too low lol

RobbGLEVEL 56

Edited reply by RobbGGOLD

The only time I like my voice is when I sing while playing my acoustic! Other then that it's always to high or too low lolMarshaMarsh

well that's part of the point Marsha. we never like our voices, because we are our own worst critics but I'm sure that you sing fine I always viewed music to be an art like...cooking. You can be an awesome chef, but you will never master it.. always something more to learn

MarkA6057

Reply by MarkA6057

I'm going to be starting vocal training soon and I'm curious what you think about this song. I've been working on support.. How many people know what it really means? Ever since I started working on these exercises, I've noticed my abdomen muscles get sore a lot faster than my voice does.

http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/b8ac86cfd

I'm no where near perfect but I'm a whole lot better than I was 18 months ago.

RobbGLEVEL 56

Reply by RobbGGOLD

Hi Mark, before I comment, i have a couple of questions for you. When you start your vocal training, what's your goal? To sing country, opera, rock? Also, do you feel a tightening in your throat as you approach those higher notes?

MarkA6057

Reply by MarkA6057

I feel tightening during anniunciation. I have bad habits that resulted from not knowing how to support my voice.. My favorite music to sing is country, followed by rock and a little blues.. I have chat if you do..

MarkA6057

Reply by MarkA6057

I'm going back to what I was doing, please message me when you are available.. Thanks.

RobbGLEVEL 56

ok will do

RobbGLEVEL 56

Reply by RobbGGOLD

As requested, I sent my information to you via email, Mark. Nice voice sir! I'm here if you have other questions as well!

MarkA6057

Reply by MarkA6057

Thank you.. There are two parts of support that I'm working on.. One is the compression and the other is the muscles around the lower ribcage.. I'll review your comments and see if I can put them to work. One problem I see is since opening my throat, I now have little volume control and my voice gets out of control dynamically.. It's like I'm in full voice all the time when I submerse myself in the song.

RobbGLEVEL 56

Reply by RobbGGOLD

Mark, what kind of voice are you? Tenor, Baritone, Bass??

MarkA6057

Reply by MarkA6057

I am a bass singer.. D2 to start.. C2 on a good day.

MarkA6057

Edited reply by MarkA6057

sabathielLEVEL 41

Reply by sabathiel

Hi there, can you critique this video of mine. I sing lots of genres but my main genre is pop, jazz pop, swing big band and soft or pop rock. I chose this song for your to review because after listening to your Singsnap songs I think this song I sing is the closest to your style of opera. I am a baritenor which is a baritone singer who can hit tenor notes. I call myself a baritone because there is more of a baritone resonance quality to my voice plus the rich timbre of my voice in the lower and middle range makes me think I am a baritone. I think the ease of production of vocals in my lower range plus the rich quality on that register qualifies me as a baritone. I don't know if you agree with my self analysis. Anyway enough chit chat....here is a song that mainly has a baritone notes. Elton John's "The One" and just in case you like to hear me hitting some tenor notes the second link is Michael Buble's "Home" there are some tenor notes towards the end where my vocals get thinner as I climbs up the mid tenor register.

http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/watchandlisten/play/b0abd2f85

http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/watchandlisten/play/b366894d1

RobbGLEVEL 56

Reply by RobbGGOLD

Ok, sabathiel! will be happy to listen, sir. Leaving work now, so I'll give these a listen when I get home Do you prefer my critique private messaged to you or posted here?

sabathielLEVEL 41

Reply by sabathiel

public critique is fine so everyone else can learn and benefit as well. thanks!

sabathielLEVEL 41

Reply by sabathiel

one more small question. I notice you have a heavy vibrato which is essential in the genre of music you sing. I don't have any vibrato but for the type of music I sing is necessary that I learn and master vibrato or can I get away without using any? Do you know any famous singers who don't have or use minimal vibrato?

MarkA6057

Reply by MarkA6057

There are several schools of thought on vibrato. Elton John uses Vibrato..
Vibrato is a natural affect of the vocal cords when you are in a relaxed state and the air is steady.. It just happens.. I have to work to keep Vibrato away.. I have heard a glimpse of Vibrato in your voice.. Short but there.. Robb will be able to help you relax into it. Singing with 100% straight vocals is hard on the vocal cords.. (Too much tension).. That is what I've been taught over the past two years.

RobbGLEVEL 56

Reply by RobbGGOLD

sabathiel, I haven't listened to your songs yet, but I'm about to. There are a couple of styles of music that don't use vibrato that I know of. One is in the church when they are canting (chanting), because it's a reverent voice, another is sometimes found in a style of medieval singing. For the most part, vibrato will come and if it does, don't fight it, unless you feel the musical intent that you want to convey does not include vibrato. Going to listen to your music now, I'll have a bit more info on that after

sabathielLEVEL 41

Edited reply by sabathiel

There are several schools of thought on vibrato. Elton John uses Vibrato..
Vibrato is a natural affect of the vocal cords when you are in a relaxed state and the air is steady.. It just happens.. I have to work to keep Vibrato away.. I have heard a glimpse of Vibrato in your voice.. Short but there.. Robb will be able to help you relax into it. Singing with 100% straight vocals is hard on the vocal cords.. (Too much tension).. That is what I've been taught over the past two years.MarkA6057

I have heard Brett Manning (an online famous vocal coach) who produced the vocal program called Singing Success stated that vibrato is used to improve on tone. So someone who has a rather not so pleasant tone can use vibrato to fool an audience by co-ordinating the voice while hiding a multitude of deficiencies and tonality. That is because the presence of vibrato is what separates the speaking voice from the singing voice. Plus vibrato is therapeutic in ironing out problems with tension and tone quality as well as drastically improve trills and runs. I consider myself, as I have often been complemented, having a warm and pleasant tonal quality in my voice with lots of presence so I don't feel I need to hide my tonal quality with the use of vibrato. However that being said I'd like to learn to use vibrato to show off some tricks in my singing. It's just nice to know you can do it and use it sparringly when the song may call for its use. It is also impressive if you have a trained and controlled vibrato when performing.

You mentioned Elton John uses vibrato but I am more on the vocal path of Michael Buble as to what kind of singer I am aiming to be like. I think Buble uses vibrato sparringly given he has a very pleasant warm velvety tone and using unnecessary vibrato will distract from that tone. So basically I'd like to be able to sing with vibrato for the sake of possessing the skill at least. I can "force" a vibrato on lower notes or some middle range notes but it sounds untrained and unpolished which leads me to not bothering using it. On the high notes I can't do vibrato at all because there is much less room to relax or "move the notes" as I call it up there.

RobbGLEVEL 56

You have a beautiful tone, sabathiel! I really enjoyed listening to you my friend. You have a strong voice, and you emote songs beautifully which, to me, is a gift! I do have one bit of information I can pass on that might help a bit. Your diction, the way that you pronounce your words, is slurred in the Elton John song, and slightly better in the Michael Buble song. I think that if you learn to use your diction to focus on the vowels, you will have a much more powerful voice, and those transitions to the higher notes will be easier. Also, you won't need to do so many vocal gymnastics because you wont need to flip to a falsetto voice at the higher notes I know you can hit them with head voice. The reason you can't do vibrato at your high notes is because you are in falsetto..nearly impossible to do it, although I would imagine a few incredible singers have done it in the past I have that same curse with diction So I spend a few times pronouncing the words, then put the words to the timing of the music, and then add the notes at the end.. it helps me

sabathielLEVEL 41

Edited reply by sabathiel

Yes you have confirmed what others have commented about my not so perfect diction. Someone commented on Youtube that I should try and perfect my diction to make it crispier especially if I intend to sing crooner songs in the style of Sinatra and Buble. It is essential with these songs your diction has to be clear and crisp. You may get away with slurred diction in rock but not in easy listening high brow music. So you are right on the money there. I am aware of this but the problem is when I sing when I am in the zone emotionally thinking and concentrating on diction takes you away from that zone and you lose connection with the song or/and the audience. The only thing to do is to practice the diction thing whilst singing as often as you can and not just practice during a performance or recording. This I confess I am guilty of being lazy of.

I can't recall doing any falsetto in any of the 2 videos I posted though. I don't know which part you are referring to because no falsettos were used just chest, head and mixed voice. Plus the highest note in the Buble song although it is high pitched and thin was not falsetto. That is the part where I sang "ho-oh-oh-oh-oh-me" towards the end the last vocal run on the word "home" in the last chorus.

On the vocal gymnatsics. I started as old school singing no vocal runs or trills in mainly rock songs but trend and the times has brought me to more contemporary style of singing using trills, licks and runs. I mainly copy the original singer in the song I am covering but these days I add my own variations to the runs and licks as a matter of personal style. Yes I know old school people hate too many vocal tricks but that is kinda the style of today's singers. I am kind of proud that I have been able to do these tricks in the last 2-3 years starting by mimicking the original singers and yet I am still perfecting this craft. However I intend to stamp my own personal style on the songs I sing today while not deviate too much from the original. Basically if the song I am covering uses some vocal tricks then I use a slight variation of those tricks. However if the song is devoid of any vocal gymnastics I stay faithful to that style 95% of the time. I am trying to improve and improve. I have come some long way from when I started at Singsnap and I still have a long way to go to be where I want to be but I am happy taking baby steps until I reach my destination. This year I made it to the second round of The Voice in Australia although I feel was treated unfairly at the second round audition and did not make it to the TV stage. Hopefully this will give an extra 12 months to improve on my vocal skills if I decide to audition again next year.

RobbGLEVEL 56

Reply by RobbGGOLD

Oh you are awesome as it is! In some ways better than I am, especially in how you emote the music my friend No surprise that you would do well on the voice. Anyway, that's my take on your singing. Use what you feel is useful and discard the rest We are all trying to improve, and I'm very happy to have had the privilege of listening to your beautiful brand of music. On the line of falsetto, it's really difficult to tell if you are doing it or not. It seems that way to me, on a couple of the notes, but then again, I have been wrong on that before Nobody's perfect eh But in those vocal gymnastics, my experience has been that falsetto is more convenient. Perhaps not in your case

BonnieSBLEVEL 72

Reply by BonnieSBGOLD

Hi, I would like an honest critique of this song. Thanks

http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/b78fccd95

RobbGLEVEL 56

Reply by RobbGGOLD

Well hello there Bonnie! Here is my critique of your song:
Your tone is great, in fact, you have a very pleasing voice to listen to!
You are also blessed with a great ear for keeping in tune with the music! Overall, you sing awesome! One bit of constructive criticism would be this. I think that you have more in that beautiful voice of yours, and I would love to hear it come out Just a little more abdominal support. Yes, it's tricky too. Too much and you affect the sound, not enough and it's a little too breathy-as in this case. But again let me re-emphasize that this is a detail that might help you, and that that I truly loved your song. Great job!

BonnieSBLEVEL 72

Reply by BonnieSBGOLD

Isn't it funny how we just don't hear what other people hear when we listen to ourselves. Its sort of like when your a kid and you record you voice and your so surprised at what you sound like. There are some songs I sing that I think are great. And no one listens. Others I think are not very good and people who listen love them. The people on Singsnap are just to kind. Which is great! But just a bit of honest critique helps the singer learn how to become better. No one has to be mean about it, but "oh I love your song" isn't going to help anyone who cant sing a certain song. But saying, maybe if you change the key to a bit lower or higher would make you sound awesome. Singing fills me with joy and is sort of a therapy for me. A lot of my emotions can be put into any song I choose and it has been a blessing that I found this site. I missed my chance when I was young , to record in a studio. I chickened out. Now look at me now! I can record in the Singsnap studio all I want! Thanks for the critique and I will work on the abdominal support. I do understand what you mean.

BonnieSBLEVEL 72

Reply by BonnieSBGOLD

Oh just one more thing. I have to sing sitting down, because of the way my screen is . I hate sitting to sing because I cant use my abdominal muscles to help me get out the song. I do love standing up to sing and Im working on how I can achieve this and still see the screen. Im blind in one eye and I cant see out of the other! ROFL....:)

RobbGLEVEL 56

hahaah Bonnie! It's so funny how you would say that about hearing yourself and thinking how good you sound and others going...meh..and when you think it's not so good, everyone else does There is a fundamental truth here that I learned from my voice teacher awhile back. The object of singing to others is to project the voice out there. If you can hear it and it sounds good to you, guess what, your voice is tucked back so that you can hear it..It sounds great to you, but no one else can hear it as brilliantly as they would like. Plus, when the voice is tucked back, it's harder for it to do what it would normally do naturally. Finding the core and center of a voice is not all that easy either, and I have found that mine has changed a bit as I've gotten older. I don't ever expect to master my voice, because there is always something more to learn. Perhaps in the giving up of that idea, I've allowed myself to go further than I have ever gone in my vocal abilities Also, it is possible to sing with support while you are sitting down, but it requires perfect posture: back neck and head aligned and centered so that the air may flow freely through the vocal chords, and so that you may engage the diaphragm without resistance from the upper part of the body.

MarkA6057

Reply by MarkA6057

Bonnie, one thing that helped me with emotion and making it my own is to learn the lyrics of the song. Some people, myself included, sing better with their eyes closed. Learning the lyrics has been valuable to be for many reasons including stage presence when singing live. I'm no longer tied to that little karaoke monitor and I bring my own studio quality backing tracks.

Singsnap has a full screen mode and the ability to make the words really big. I have bifocals and I learn the lyrics sitting down or singing to the artist in the shower.. I think its important and it would help you sing standing up..

BonnieSBLEVEL 72

Reply by BonnieSBGOLD

I have never been able to memorize a song...I think I have some kind of drain bamage about it. LOL! Must be like numbers. I am a failure at math. I know it at the moment Im taught, then the next day its gone somewhere in brain space . No matter how hard I have tried, it just doesn't stick with me. Everyone has some kind of difficulty they just cant seem to grasp. Mine is sadly this.

MarkA6057

Reply by MarkA6057

Computers support dual monitors that can be hung up.. Have you tried writing the lyrics down as If you wrote them? It helped me at first.. The more I exercise my brain, the easier it becomes to remember. Now, I can sing over 100 songs with only backing tracks..

RobbGLEVEL 56

Reply by RobbGGOLD

When I do memorize a song, I do a phrase at a time. And keep adding phrases and building on it until it's done.

WallyGBLEVEL 58

Reply by WallyGBGOLD

Hi Robb,I would like a critique.
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/watchandlisten/play/c3a776553
Rocky raccoon
Beatles
WallyGB
Thanks for you time.

RobbGLEVEL 56

Hi Wally! Before I begin I want you to understand that I feel the beatles were a group of geniuses. Because of this, I feel that very few people can get their music to a point where it's "just so." Let me make it clear that I am not one of those people LOL. Listening to your voice, I have to question the range. Are you a tenor or a baritone. The timbre of your voice seems a bit heavy for this song, leading me to think that you might be a Baritone. Paul sings it with a much lighter timbre. It was a fun listen! You put a lot of character and emotion into your song, and I enjoyed that. However, be careful not to sacrifice enunciation for the sake of emotional interpretation. Every word in Paul's version is crisp and clear. I believe this is deliberate-as it would be if one were planning a murder as they are in the song . Careful with the flipping into the falsetto. While musical interpretation is subject to everyone, I personally would have saved that flip until the climax of the song. Too many repetitions and it loses its luster. One of my friends said, the music must build up and then climax..no premature climaxes allowed LOL. Anyway, that may seem like a lot but really it isn't. Your voice is nice, and like mine and everyone elses on here, it needs a bit of polishing Thanks for sharing, and I hope that helps

WallyGBLEVEL 58

Edited reply by WallyGBGOLD

Thanks Robb! Oh I think I'm a Tenor,,?? I agree though that my timbre is heavier than paul's.Again thanks for your Time.

RobbGLEVEL 56

Reply by RobbGGOLD

Glad you came by and hope I might have helped a little. If your not sure, there are some cool vocal range tests on youtube that will give you a good idea of what range you fall into Great job on your song! God bless

RobbGLEVEL 56

Reply by RobbGGOLD

Here's a vid that will help you to find your range, and at the end, it gives you the standard ranges for bass, etc..

MarkA6057

Reply by MarkA6057

E2-G4

michael-stevensLEVEL 52

Reply by michael-stevensGOLD

hi robb......... been singing on this site for a long time mostly for fun, however frustrating at times getting the right mix with the limited equipment.....no vocal training what so ever and sing mostly country songs.........your opinion would be helpful.....

Aint much left of loving you
Randy Montana
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/c497a12bd

thanks

mike

RobbGLEVEL 56

Reply by RobbGGOLD

E2-G4 MarkA6057

That puts you right smack in the baritone range

RobbGLEVEL 56

Reply by RobbGGOLD

Hi michael! About to listen to your song. Would you prefer my critique posted here or by private message?

MarkA6057

Reply by MarkA6057

The video says E2-> is Bass, G4 is Tenor. I'm confused.

michael-stevensLEVEL 52

Reply by michael-stevensGOLD

you can post it here

RobbGLEVEL 56

Reply by RobbGGOLD

e2 is the top of the bass range, and g4 is the bottom of the tenor range..you are right in between them, hence baritone

MarkA6057

Reply by MarkA6057

Hi Mike,

I think for you to get the best mix would be a pair of headphones. I hear the echo from your speakers into the microphone. (Love to lay you down ~ http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/b594dc27d ). It takes time to get use to singing in headphones but your overall mix will sound better.

Regards,

Mark

MarkA6057

Reply by MarkA6057

What is the ranges? I've been taught different.. A2 is the lowest Bass that I know of. I'm sure it's different for school chorus and Opera..

MarkA6057

Reply by MarkA6057

The video says E2-C4 = Bass, that is what I'm use to.

RobbGLEVEL 56

Reply by RobbGGOLD

michael, really nice job on this song my friend! Your tone is very nice and has a bright, friendly, light timbre to it. I also especially like your emotional interpretation of the song. Very nice
Advice:
Trust your voice. I think that you can hit those high ooo's without using the falsetto, in fact, you do once at the end of the song where you sing "oohh yeah" and then you flip to the falsetto again. If you listen to it, you will see that the falsetto is flat. My feeling is that you are probably a natural tenor and that you are tucking it back when you go to falsetto because you are not so sure of your voice, and that's normal. My thought on this is that you have a lot of good natural ability to work with. I would say practice scales, test the range of your voice. The scales are boring, but they help you to find the core and center of your voice. If you learn some proper technique, you can probably hit notes higher than the ones you are using in falsetto with your natural head voice

RobbGLEVEL 56

Wow mark, I have been reading that wrong. You are right..you have base through tenor range if you can hit all those notes cleanly .. nice range however, when you have more than one range, your most power will be found in the middle range..which would be baritone

Next >>