Gone Down Under Australia Day Contest - NOW FULL & IN PROGRESS

This topic is listed in Contests - Completed. It has been viewed 1,691 times and 126 replies have been made.

Next >>
sweetsuejustyouLEVEL 85

Edited post by sweetsuejustyouGOLD

. Welcome one and all to my latest contest which promises to be extra special, as I’ve launched it to coincide with as well as commemorate the most important civic event in the Land Down Under. I am referring to Australia Day, also known as Foundation Day. It is an annual occasion celebrated on January 26 and historically marks the anniversary of the 1788 arrival of the First Fleet of British ships at Port Jackson, in the state of New South Wales. In contemporary times, it has also become an occasion to recognize cultural diversity and celebrate the basic human right of freedom. It is an official public holiday, marked by community festivals, concerts and citizenship ceremonies. I migrated to the country in 1996 and proudly became a citizen in 2001.

Hence I would like to share the festivities of the occasion by hosting a special music contest, featuring artists who are/were Australians either by birth or naturalization, as per the list on the blue banner, which was compiled after weeks of research from various sources online. In saying that, the list is not exhaustive and there may possibly be artists/bands that I have left out. If you wish to do a song by an artist/band not on the list, please PM me the name for verification.

I am sure that everyone is well aware of the bushfire crisis that has been and is still going on in Australia, as the magnitude of the disaster has gone all around the world through news broadcasts. While purely optional, it would be a thoughtful gesture if contestants could include in their recording information a dedication/tribute to the lives of humans that have been lost in the tragedy. As of this posting, 29 people have perished. Some of them were firefighters on duty, others were defending their homes and property from the fires. The latest casualties are three American firefighters whose air tanker crashed in the Snowy Mountains of southern New South Wales two days ago. Our thoughts and prayers go out to their families as well as commendations for their services in aiding an allied country in time of need.

The contest is open to ALL members, blue and gold members, regardless of country of origin. I will be accepting a minimum of 20 contestants, although the number could increase up to 30 depending on interest.

Rules are pretty simple but please read carefully before signing up:
1. Claim a song upon sign up. NO DUPLICATES PLEASE. There are 100 artists to choose from the list. You may need to learn a new song in the process so if you are not inclined to do so, then the contest may not be for you.
Admittedly, I am not familiar with the music of all of the artists/bands and there is always a possibility that there are songs with explicit lyrics included. If you wish to do such a song, then record/submit a “clean” version (if available) or include the warning sign and advise accordingly when submitting the link on the thread.
2. Fresh recordings or 2019 pre-records THAT HAVE NOT BEEN IN A CONTEST will be accepted..
3. Gender benders and harmony are ok. No duets, demos or licensed songs, please.
4. Use the MMSB button and mix recordings properly so that your vocals can be heard and not overpowered by the music
5. Video recordings are welcome, but observe decency and propriety when on cam.
6. Absolutely NO DRAMA on the thread will be tolerated as this will mean instant disqualification and disbarment from future contests. If there are any issues or questions, please do it through PM and not on the thread.
7. Judging is based on Overall Sound Quality, Pitch, Emotion, Song Choice, Recording Quality. I judge fairly based on the merits of individual performances and do not discriminate or show preference to particular members. Decisions about placements are final and NOT subject to discussion once the contest concludes. As the host, I reserve the right to disqualify/disbar anyone who exhibits untoward behaviour during and after the contest from future events.
8. Hostess – that’s me – has the right to reserve places due to time differences.
9. Updates on the thread will be done exclusively by me. Please don't put unnecessary graphics or bright neon text and fonts on the thread.
10. In the spirit of fair play & general courtesy, listening to other contestants is highly encouraged , not just for their benefit, but for yours as well – who knows, you may hear a song for the very first time, & be inspired to sing it for yourself to add to your repertoire. Many of my own recordings were derived from listening to others sing them first during contests/challenges.

Sign ups will end on January 26 or when there are a sufficient number of contestants, upon my discretion.

Deadline for submission of songs is on January 28 or when all entries are in, whichever comes first.

Please DO NOT leave submissions to the last minute, as this holds up the contest and is unfair for the other contestants to be waiting, as we all have lives outside of SS and other matters to attend to, since I am allowing prerecords as long as they have not been submitted in previous contests. If for any reason you are unable to submit your song in time, please PM me ASAP.

Please use this banner on your recordings:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/irI1T9L.jpg[/img]

This is my listening banner:

sweetsuejustyouLEVEL 85

Edited reply by sweetsuejustyouGOLD

Host contribution song:
Sweetsuejustyou
Better Be Home Soon

Contestants:
1. jc4u - Shout To The Lord
2. -CEZ- - When I Need You
3. Peter_1965 - Tragedy
4. Eireann - Something So Strong
5. halfpint31743 - Banks of The Ohio
6. Chuckc - You and Me Against The World
7. DennisJ - Cool Change
8. DannyR1311 - Don't Forget To Remember
9. FinnPeter - Your Everything
10. rockafrybaby - Happy Anniversary
11. blue-nightingale - Truly Madly Deeply
12. islandgirl54 - Words
13. Indy_Rosser - I Was Only 19
14. LeenyBee - Not Pretty Enough
15. wayne1956 - I'll Never Find Another You
16. RainBoKatchr - Beds Are Burning
17. Hijinx1 - When The War Is Over
18. Michaelccdd54 - More Than I Can Say
19. A-Z-A-L-E-A - If You Love Me, Let Me Know
20. muffie - Wear My Ring Around Your Neck
21. Skeeter-G - How Can You Mend A Broken Heart
22. Bill_Canon - When You Wish Upon A Star
23. Ron-N-Susan(Ron) - But For The Grace Of God
24. sylviapl65 - A World Of Our Own
25. falconess09 - Xanadu
26. JamaicaJim - Georgy Girl
27. Shilohkoko - Wasted Time
28. Armybrat60 - Come On Over
29. kevrow - Any Dream Will Do

UPDATED LIST IS ON THE NEXT PAGE

If anyone is missing on the contestant list or playlist, please notify me ASAP by PM

jc4uLEVEL 103

Reply by jc4uPATRON +2

"We love Him because He first loved us" 1st John 4:19 r/c48d61a23 Blessings

Hi, Irene, thanks for the invite, - please sign me up with:

Shout To The Lord - Darlene Zschech

-CEZ-

Reply by -CEZ-GOLD

Hi, I would love to join and I am claiming
When I Need You- Leo Sayer

Peter_1965LEVEL 80

Reply by Peter_1965GOLD

Peter_1965
Tragedy- Bee Gees
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/c1b033deb

Thanks

ChuckcLEVEL 92

Reply by ChuckcGOLD

Chuckc
I would like to join and I am claiming
Everytime You Go Away ~ John Paul Young

EireannLEVEL 45

Reply by EireannGOLD

I would like to join and I am claiming Something So Strong by Crowded House.

sweetsuejustyouLEVEL 85

Welcome and thanks for joining - Joyce, Cez , Peter, Eireann - got you on the list with song choices

sweetsuejustyouLEVEL 85

Chuckc
I would like to join and I am claiming
Everytime You Go Away ~ John Paul YoungChuckc

Hi Chuck, thanks for your interest in joining, but I have to point out that John Paul Young DID NOT record the song "Everytime You Go Away". That was actually done by Paul Young , a British singer and a totally different artist altogether. I can understand where the confusion lies with names. Please choose another artist from the list on the second banner.

ChuckcLEVEL 92

Reply by ChuckcGOLD

Ok thanks

ChuckcLEVEL 92

Edited reply by ChuckcGOLD

Chuckc
I would like to claim
You And Me Against The World ~ Helen Reddy

halfpint31743LEVEL 64

Reply by halfpint31743GOLD

i would like olivia newton john.banks of the ohio
howdy sweet

sweetsuejustyouLEVEL 85

Reply by sweetsuejustyouGOLD

Excellent choice of song, Chuck , got you on the contest. Welcome too, Miss V-, nice to have you join in , got you on the list as well.

ChuckcLEVEL 92

Reply by ChuckcGOLD

Chuckc
You And Me Against World ~ Helen Reddy
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/c87146f97

DennisJLEVEL 56

Edited reply by DennisJGOLD

DENNISJ

COOL CHANGE
LITTLE RIVER BAND
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/c37cd0e37

halfpint31743LEVEL 64

Reply by halfpint31743GOLD

halfpint31743
song/banks of the ohio
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/c363112f7
good luck

put banner on soon

DannyR1311LEVEL 62

Reply by DannyR1311GOLD

Thank you very much for the invitation to one of your soiree, Irene! Here's my entry:

DannyR1311
DON'T FORGET TO REMEMBER ME
BEE GEES
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/b169e20e5

sweetsuejustyouLEVEL 85

Thanks for your entries, Chuck and V, got them on the list and playlist. Welcome and thanks for joining, Dennis and Danny, I've got you both with songs on the list.

FinnPeterLEVEL 105

Reply by FinnPeterGOLD

FinnPeter
Your Everything - Keith Urban
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/bb8fa574d

Thanks!

Indy_RosserLEVEL 73

Edited reply by Indy_RosserPATRON

No Colleen Hewett or Troy Cassar-Daley???? No biggie, but they are both awesome Aussie presenters, and Troy is also Aboriginal. Just saying!

sweetsuejustyouLEVEL 85

No Coleen Hewitt????Indy_Rosser

You can do a song by her if you want, mate - I did state in the opening post that the list is not final and there are artists/groups that might have been overlooked.

rockafrybabyLEVEL 95

Reply by rockafrybabyGOLD

Claim Happy Anniversary! Little River Band

jc4uLEVEL 103

Reply by jc4uPATRON +2

"We love Him because He first loved us" 1st John 4:19 r/c48d61a23 Blessings

#1 jc4u
Shout To The Lord - Darlene Zschech
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/c97918c57

Indy_RosserLEVEL 73

Reply by Indy_RosserPATRON

You can do a song by her if you want, mate - I did state in the opening post that the list is not final and there are artists/groups that might have been overlooked.sweetsuejustyou

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! I missed that as I was trying to read the blurb parked on the shoulder! I'm not sure I'm gonna do one of hers or not ..... I'm thinking a Slim Dusty or something is more quintessentially Aussie! Having a think whilst I load and will decide! i've got some time, haven't I?

sweetsuejustyouLEVEL 85

Welcome, Rocky and thanks for joining, got you on the list. Thanks for your entry as well, Joyce.

sweetsuejustyouLEVEL 85

You can do a song by her if you want, mate - I did state in the opening post that the list is not final and there are artists/groups that might have been overlooked.sweetsuejustyou

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! I missed that as I was trying to read the blurb parked on the shoulder! I'm not sure I'm gonna do one of hers or not ..... I'm thinking a Slim Dusty or something is more quintessentially Aussie! Having a think whilst I load and will decide! i've got some time, haven't I?Indy_Rosser

Plenty of time, if you wish to stake a spot on the list in the meantime, while deciding on a song over a cold and a nice hot

blue-nightingaleLEVEL 103

Reply by blue-nightingaleGOLD +14

Good evening Sue, I would love to take part please. Can I claim Truly Madly Deeply By Savage Garden, many thanks

Indy_RosserLEVEL 73

Edited reply by Indy_RosserPATRON

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! I missed that as I was trying to read the blurb parked on the shoulder! I'm not sure I'm gonna do one of hers or not ..... I'm thinking a Slim Dusty or something is more quintessentially Aussie! Having a think whilst I load and will decide! i've got some time, haven't I?Indy_Rosser

Plenty of time, if you wish to stake a spot on the list in the meantime, while deciding on a song over a cold and a nice hotsweetsuejustyou

I've made a decision .... may I claim I Was Only 19 by Redgum, please, darlin?

islandgirl54LEVEL 66

Edited reply by islandgirl54GOLD +8

good evening

I would like to submit "Words" by the Beegees

back in a bit with my entry

islandgirl54LEVEL 66

Reply by islandgirl54GOLD +8

Indy_RosserLEVEL 73

I Was Only 19 by Indy_Rosser
Information for #bf85ca407
Recording: Today at 8:03pm
Member: Indy_Rosser 73
Song: I Was Only 19
Artist: Redgum
Share: http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/bf85ca407

sweetsuejustyouLEVEL 85

I'll accept your song choice, Indy, as Redgum is an Australian group (South Australia) - banner will be revised to reflect the inclusion.

Welcome, Jackie and Sandra, thanks for joining in celebrating Oz Day through song, I've got you both on the list with song selections.

wayne1956LEVEL 92

Reply by wayne1956GOLD

Hi Irene,
I would like to claim

I'll Never Find Another You - The Seekers

Wayne

rockafrybabyLEVEL 95

Reply by rockafrybabyGOLD

Think I got a great mix with this difficult tune as took on both sides of the tune solo! Rocky!
One favorite band! Still listen to the band a lot to this day! Am so blessed!
Rockafrybaby
Happy Anniversary
Little River Band!
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/c897d0827

islandgirl54LEVEL 66

Reply by islandgirl54GOLD +8

thank you Irene

caught up to here...

LeenyBee

Reply by LeenyBeeGOLD

LeenyBee
Not Pretty Enough - Kasey Chambers
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/bf9353add

wayne1956LEVEL 92

Reply by wayne1956GOLD

wayne1956
"I'll Never Find Another You" - The Seekers
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/c5acfc967

Indy_RosserLEVEL 73

I've caught up to Sandra's recording but I have to get mobile again for a while! I will try to get to the others a little later!

RainBoKatchrLEVEL 56

Reply by RainBoKatchrGOLD

RainBoKatchr
Beds Are Burning - Midnight Oil
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/c3aaf4c05

Hijinx1LEVEL 57

Reply by Hijinx1GOLD

Hijinx1
Cold Chisel
When the war is over
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/c495b7dc5

Michaelccdd54LEVEL 75

Reply by Michaelccdd54PATRON

Like to join and claim

More Than I can Say by Leo Sayer

sweetsuejustyouLEVEL 85

Welcome the following to the Australia Day songfest - Wayne, Leeny, Dave, Mark and Michael, thanks for joining and for your songs as well, I've got you all on the list.

Thanks for you entry as well, Rocky, it's been added on the list.

A-Z-A-L-E-ALEVEL 46

Edited reply by A-Z-A-L-E-AGOLD

Hi, I would like to join and want to claim the song If You Love Me (Let Me Know) by Olivia Newton - John, please. Thanks

EireannLEVEL 45

Reply by EireannGOLD

muffieLEVEL 83

Reply by muffieGOLD

I will CLAIM I WILL LOVE YOU ALL MY LIFE ---CHARLIE LANDSBOUROUGH

muffieLEVEL 83

Reply by muffieGOLD

Charles Alexander Landsborough

Born
26 October 1941 (age 78)
Wrexham, Denbighshire, Wales

Origin
Birkenhead, Cheshire, England

Genres
Folk, country

Occupation(s)
Musician, songwriter

Instruments
Guitar

Years active
1994–present

muffieLEVEL 83

Reply by muffieGOLD

This reply has been deleted by the topic creator.

Indy_RosserLEVEL 73

I have to say that I would really love to see somebody do a John Williamson song, as well. There’s probably no more quintessentially Aussie performer than Lawsue’s “little brother”!

There’s probably at least a dozen artists that I considered very carefully and would’ve loved to have submitted, but, naturally, only one entry per contestant is appropriate..... that and the fact that I can’t do ANY of them justice!!!!!!!

Skeeter-GLEVEL 62

Reply by Skeeter-GGOLD

Irene, I just got home, and I hope there's still room for this old country boy. I'll be working on a fresh song by the BEE GEES, and if I could, I would like to claim the song, "How can you mend a broken heart".

Bill_CanonLEVEL 57

Reply by Bill_CanonGOLD

Bill Canon, I see that no one has claimed this one!
Olivia Newton John -"When you wish upon a star"
I know it's really been done by countless others but, her version seems to have the best feeling.
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/cb8ea8c27

Ron-N-SusanLEVEL 60

Reply by Ron-N-SusanGOLD

Ron-N-Susan(Ron)
But For The Grace Of God~ Keith urban
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/c27ca2807

Next >>