Voice Control and Key range

This topic is listed in Singing & Songwriting Tips. It has been viewed 755 times and 45 replies have been made.

tommymackayLEVEL 22

Post by tommymackay

How do you feel about some coaching for our members?
We all try so hard to sound our best,and some tips will help.

EXAMPLE : Practise a song first before recording, in YOUR BEST KEY ( G is good for most men )
Breathe in and fill the diafram - exhale, and hold in 1/2

HOLD the phrase at the end of a line, and hold the key -don't drop in pitch

These are a few starters. I admit, i need to practise as well.
never sing when drunk.

Any comments ?

DabrinaLEVEL 95

Edited reply by DabrinaGOLD

I agree breath control is very important and so is posture:<) and yeah never sing drunk haha lol and drop your jaw and ladies sing in the right key for you! Not everybody is a soprano..if your straining drop it a few keys!! breathe in and let out slowly and sing!! and C or D is a good key for most women:<) but then again it does depend on the song!! :<) and yes know the song you are singing or fake it good! but most importantly have fun and ENJOY what your singing!!! :<) oh yea try and get the buzz on your face lol that's called forward placement.

sabathielLEVEL 43

Edited reply by sabathiel

There is no special key for male or female.....really none......not even in a general sense! It all depends on each individual song and the style you want to do it in. A musical key simply means ruling out certain notes in the 12 semitones Western musical scale unless the song uses accidentals (notes not in the key of the song but included in the song). So whether it suits a particular singer also depends on which octave you sing the first note in and your overall vocal range. But yes picking the right key for each song also depends on your tessitura and vocal fach. Tessitura means your vocal range or the area in your vocal where you excel the most and feel most comfortable. Fach means your vocal classification such as baritone, tenor, bass for male or for female soprano, alto, contralto etc. For example I sing Minnie Ripperton's "Lovin' You" in her original key which is in the key of A major BECAUSE I sing it an octave lower and this is in a perfectly comfortable area of my vocal range (tessitura) and vocal fach (baritone) except of course I cannot do the trademark whistle notes in that song so I just sing it with heady mixed voice (a very strong and more resonant version of falsetto an octave lower or it may be two octaves lower).

In the studio Michael Jackson recorded the song "Thriller" in 5 different keys before his team decided to put the one recorded in C#minor on the album. Playing around with different keys when you sing a particular song is also useful because you never know which key brings out the best in your voice.

tommymackayLEVEL 22

Reply by tommymackay

A member and FB friend wanted me to critique a song she sent

It was soooo off key, off timing, and the pitch dropped at each line ending.

I suggested she delete it,, and find a key for her range.
She now is angry at me, and told me to FORGET IT !

"YOU SING IT ! ""
Tip:
if you cannot take constructive criticism, then keep singing to needy people who tell you how beautiful your voice is !
The pros sing for many years, and are continually criticized by the press, yet they improve, and move on.
If your singing is bad , I will tell you.

Comments ?

T.

pls8xx

Reply by pls8xxGOLD

"I suggested she delete it"

"if you cannot take constructive criticism"

There is nothing constructive or helpful in the suggestion to delete. It would have been helpful to point out the pitch problem and recommend a practice method to correct the problem.

"If your singing is bad , I will tell you."

If your criticism is useless, hurtful, and petty, I will tell you.

sabathielLEVEL 43

If your criticism is useless, hurtful, and petty, I will tell you.pls8xx

If your praise and complement are utter nonsense and unrealistic when in the same breadth others who truly can sing really well are ignored or underplayed I will tell you that you are the "children of Satan" for spreading darkness and deception. That is because those who obviously cannot sing or sing well will then audition for American Idol and the like and will get humiliated at a global scale with people like Simon Cowell telling them blunt cold truths and saying their families and friends are responsible for their deluded belief that they can sing creating false hopes and a perverted sense of reality.

pls8xx

Reply by pls8xxGOLD

Only because you quoted me, I will respond.

There was nothing I said that condoned misleading comments. I was talking about useful criticism as opposed to a truth that only serves to hurt and discourage.

I do sometimes praise a recording that is an improvement over past sings. Like if I played golf with a friend and he broke 90 for the first time, I might say "You played that 12 hole like a pro." I don't consider that encouragement to quit his job and go on tour.

There are those on SS that get more than their share of encouragement. Mostly those that have a friendly disposition and a high level of interaction with other members.

And there are those that "truly can sing really well are ignored or underplayed". Some don't care at all about getting comments (they never complain), while others seem to have a borderline personality problem (they're always complaining).

sabathielLEVEL 43

Reply by sabathiel

There was nothing I said that condoned misleading comments. I was talking about useful criticism as opposed to a truth that only serves to hurt and discourage.

There are those on SS that get more than their share of encouragement. Mostly those that have a friendly disposition and a high level of interaction with other members.

pls8xx

Well the "you" in my comment was not really a singular "you" but rather a general plural "you".

And I think you know what I mean and also know that praise of the nature of sensible encouragement does not fall under my problem of utter nonsense praise not grounded in any iota of reality whatsoever such as "you are awesome.....fantastically sung and I think you should audition for American Idol" when the reality is that that singer was often out of tune and nowhere near AI material.

tommymackayLEVEL 22

Reply by tommymackay

singing is like skating. You will fall down a lot, get up, and practice again.Trouble with making a song public, exposes your voice to the world.
They can see you and cringe when you are off key --------just like falling on the ice.

never publish your song until you listen first.

If you know little about music or proper key, chances are your song will be deleted within the first 4 seconds.
this is how long a music distributor would give you if you sent him a recording . They get thousands, and only those who are great- MAKE IT
bar singers take boos and shouts live, and endure this for years , until they get a good name. TAKE SOME LESSONS

sabathielLEVEL 43

.....this is how long a music distributor would give you if you sent him a recording . They get thousands, and only those who are great- MAKE IT
......tommymackay

This use to be true but sadly no longer is the case. These days mediocre talent are promoted and they excel in the charts.....yes you get the occasional exception to this general rule and are very good even if not necessarily great by the standards of the greats of the past but these days all songs on the mainstream charts are auto-tuned. This means mediocre singers can sound pitch perfect on their recordings and quite a lot of them lip sync to auto-tuned pitch perfect recordings in live shows. The thought of Whitney Houston, Aretha Franklin, Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley etc. doing these things in their day is mind boggling. They had to work hard to attain their vocal chops and great pitch without relying on modern technology.

Modern technology has made musicians and vocalists lazy because there is almost a quick fix for every musical problem without actually putting in the effort to master their craft. The average every day consumer of music are too ignorant to know what actually goes into the production of every song that they purchase these days thinking their idols are such talented great singers without realising there is a lot of "cheating" that goes into the production unless they themselves are accomplished musicians. Most music these days are made on a laptop without the need of a live band or real musicians because every real instrument can be made through virtual instruments on a computer.....hell even the sound of a symphonic orchestra can be produced on a laptop. The only thing that computers cannot yet produce exact the sound of an instrument is a guitar (acoustic and electric) and that is why you rarely hear the sound of a guitar in modern contemporary pop songs in the mainstream charts. Guitars are simply shunned for the most part in this main genre.

One big problem with auto-tuning vocals is that it sucks the soul, emotion and life force from the singer's voice and delivery of vocals. I would rather hear a few minor pitch issues in a song but delivered with deep emotion, sincerity and soul rather than hear a pitch perfect lifeless overly produced vocals. This is perhaps why the older generation so used to listening to full of life music find modern contemporary music dull, unexciting and uninspiring

tommymackayLEVEL 22

Reply by tommymackay

If someone can't sing and people do not like it- it is only for the entertainment of the singer, who is a paying customer.
If they sound rotten, please don't tell them how great they sounded.

They won't learn anything.

Suggest they take some lessons.If you tell them you are bad then they hate you !

sabathielLEVEL 43

Suggest they take some lessons.If you tell them you are bad then they hate you !tommymackay

In my experience as a highly competent singer telling someone who cannot sing or cannot sing well to take some lessons comes across as rude when the incompetent singer does not specifically state that he/she seeks advice or a critique. It is uncalled for. Just let them be....sure people should not tell them lies or give any false encouragement when the singing is atrocious......just say nothing......they are probably having the time of their lives singing as therapy for a mental illness like depression or as a remedy for boredom. It is kinda the unwritten rule for highly competent singers to not give advice or criticisms unless specifically asked for.

Mostly I see the people who themselves cannot sing or sing well enough jumping in and say things like "take lessons" or proceed to give singing tips in cases where the singer did not specifically state they are asking for tips. Nothing pisses me off more than people acting they are much better than they actually are and in cases like this they give tips or tell others to "take lessons" because they wanna feel superior riding on their high horse patronising others whom they consider lesser than themselves when in actual fact they are not much different or nowhere near good enough to offer such advice. All the singers I know who truly can sing and sing well follow this general rule of thumb of simply saying nothing unless specifically asked for an opinion when dealing with people who cannot sing. It is the polite and morally right thing to do.

tommymackayLEVEL 22

Reply by tommymackay

If ya'll read the beginning--The singer asked for a critique.

She sings in a church choir, so there must be lessons ?

I'm sorry, but I heard her sing better, and to delete it would maybe consider trying harder.
She still contacts me, so at least I didn't piss her off.

This site makes money from all singers, and I agree it is fun and great therapy.
Pick a good key--stay on key and don't drop your phrases like a bird falling down
Practise the song. record.-THEN LISTEN BEFORE PRESSING THE PUBLISH BUTTON.

sabathielLEVEL 43

-THEN LISTEN BEFORE PRESSING THE PUBLISH BUTTON.tommymackay

This here lies the problem. Not everyone has the same ears meaning not everyone hears the same thing when they hear a song as far as vocals are concerned. Not every ear has the same musical hearing skills. On one extreme there are tone deaf people who cannot tell the differences in pitch frequencies and on the other extreme there are people with highly sensitive musical ears who are born with the gift of perfect pitch which means they can tell what note their ear hears instantly identifying the note such as C 4 without using any reference sound like a guitar or a piano. If you have the gift of perfect pitch the slightest flatness or sharpness on a note delivered by a singer will be picked up by your ears while if you are tone deaf no matter how off a note a singer sings you simply cannot tell. Then there are people in the middle of these two opposite spectrum to varying degrees. So when you say listen back to the recording before uploading maybe to that person they cannot tell if there is anything wrong with the vocal performance because there are many who fall under this category and no they are not tone deaf people.....they just have to increase their hearing skills. Anyone studying music at university will have to go through an ear training course to make their hearing skills solid to be an accomplished musician. There are many videos on Youtube teaching you to better your hearing skills......it is an essential skill for any credible musician or vocalist.

Then again there are people when they sing what they hear in their head is absolutely great and beautiful but to the ears of real musicians it is absolutely atrocious. In this video you can hear one of the judges telling the person auditioning exactly that at the end. (at 2:52)

TommackayLEVEL 8

Reply by Tommackay

One lady said there are a lot of needy people and they become a fan of someone they connect with, and it becomes an on line portal to send love I guess by being almost pathetic,,,"Oh Hon.... " My listen was full of joy ."

GAG

VitaminDeeLEVEL 101

Reply by VitaminDeePATRON

Be REAL, Be safe & kind. Take care of each other--If you are struggling reach out-

singing is like skating. You will fall down a lot, get up, and practice again.Trouble with making a song public, exposes your voice to the world.
They can see you and cringe when you are off key --------just like falling on the ice.

never publish your song until you listen first.

If you know little about music or proper key, chances are your song will be deleted within the first 4 seconds.
this is how long a music distributor would give you if you sent him a recording . They get thousands, and only those who are great- MAKE IT
bar singers take boos and shouts live, and endure this for years , until they get a good name. TAKE SOME LESSONStommymackay

Hey welcome to sing snap an online karaoke site where the world is your stage. The only requirement to be here is to have fun no matter one's skill level

Glad you are here. You have a nice assortment of songs in your studio

This site has been here since 2006
You have been here four months

Please let that sink in

Best wishes and happy singing

tommymackayLEVEL 22

Reply by tommymackay

It sunk in- I have been singing a long time.
have fun, don't get better or learn ?

VitaminDeeLEVEL 101

Be REAL, Be safe & kind. Take care of each other--If you are struggling reach out-

have fun, don't get better or learn ?tommymackay

I am not clear what your response means

I am guessing what you might mean and will respond to things I read in your thread

Members join this site for various reasons.

I find what works well, is to accept folks where they are- I do not know their story or their starting point musically or what is on their mind as they sing, how they feel physically etc

I would never advise some one to delete a recording. Having that recording available is a great way for them to see if if they have made changes. Hearing someone's musical journey can be inspiring

We all have a story

This is a karaoke site.
Members may choose to sing for the joy of singing with no desire to "get better or learn " as you stated above and that is ok

Others are their worst critic, some use the site to get better or they sing because a doctor told them to. Etc.

The possibilities are endless

I hope I am wrong but it feels like you may have negative feelings toward those with different musical goals

We all need to love folks where they are at

This has worked well for me--
If any one asks me for a critique which is seldom to never, I ask them what specifically that want me to listen to/ for. Some are tender hearted and don't realize what they asked for

Best wishes

Stay safe

tommymackayLEVEL 22

Reply by tommymackay

It seems nobody needs my advice-
Just sing poorly , have fun, no one will listen if it is poorly sung , just you and your ego.

Singing off key is like driving a car with no brakes
T.

VitaminDeeLEVEL 101

Edited reply by VitaminDeePATRON

Just sing poorly , have fun, no one will listen if it is poorly sung , just you and your ego.

T.tommymackay

I guess they don't want your advice

People don't care what you know until they know you care.

You seem to enjoy complaining about and putting down others who aren't "like" you

I am comfortable enough in my own skin to "sing poorly and just have fun " as you put it

lol

This is karaoke not "Britians Got Talent"

If you joined just to complain about people on here, the only activity happening in your sing snap studio might just be the sound of your own voice

Your analogy using off key singing and a car without brakes, is illogical

socomicefoxLEVEL 77

Reply by socomicefoxGOLD

T.tommymackay

Im gonna keep it real with you sir. Mostly singers take advice from individuals who sound good. Me myself I sound good. I am a good singer and I am not tone deaf and I have good rythm/know my notes I was born a natrual at singing. Of course I did take singing lessons along the way to make my voice better and find out more things about it that I didnt know. Want to know the best vocal coach and I will say this to any vocal coach I ever had.

Singsnap.com is the best vocal coach. This site has allowed me to find my weaknesses and my strengths in my voice. Guess what Sir I sing for fun. I dont care if I get views. I dont care if I get comments I say this for the 1 millionth time on Singsnap. I DO NOT CARE ABOUT VIEWS OR COMMENTS MYSELF. Ppl have asked me why do you sing on Singsnap whats your reason and my answer to that is because this place lets us all be stars we all singers of all kind Star singers/good singers/bad singers but we are all here to do the one thing and that is SING.

And you are very wrong about no one will listen if its poorly sung. I have listen to many poorly sung songs but guess what I love to listen to those type of singers because they get better and better and better as they keep singing. It is awesome to watch someone that is poorly singing as you say it and to just watch them unlock things about their singing as they sing sing and sing.

Agent_Coulsen

Reply by Agent_CoulsenPATRON

Unguarded with Violet...! watchandlisten/play/b5636ed9b

T.tommymackay

Have you seen my profile page?
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/member/agent_coulsen
As you can see...
Things aren't going so well for me here...
Perhaps you should coach me...

Bunnykins

Reply by BunnykinsGOLD

This is just a fun karaoke site. Yes, we would all like to improve but personally I wouldn't take any singing advice from someone that isn't really good themselves or knows what they're talking about when it comes to voice coaching. Just my opinion.

ClarelolaLEVEL 81

Reply by ClarelolaPATRON

This entire thread dovetails with another thread I was following:

http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/forum/topic/b115442a

I find it interesting how different people view this site - some seem to think that it IS Britain's Got Talent, but I suspect the majority of us want to share a bit of the joy we get from singing with others that are considered "far away friends" here. I have read so many stories of friendships (and more) formed here that my suspicions lead me to believe that it is not all about the singing either. And I totally agree with Dee that people are here for many reasons - I have read more than a few stories of people who have had issues with their vocal apparatus, be it cancer or another ailment, and are trying to have fun here and get reacquainted with their voices. And some just come to release tension - we can't all be practicing and improving if we got a day job to go to or a family to raise.

I would listen to advice from anyone who cares to give it, whether they be an excellent singer themselves or just a listener. Whether I take that advice is something I will decide, because I also have thoughts about what I like and don't like about each song I do. I think most people know their strengths and weaknesses, and the comments we receive are benign pats on the back no matter what the song sounds like. It's called being supportive, and NO, it's not like driving with no brakes when you hit a wrong note - it is just a mistake that will harm no one. And even if you have brakes on your car, road rage is also dangerous by the way...

But I think everyone is saying that this site is not about advice-giving; it's about having fun and being in a positive and safe place to express yourself. If we want BGT then we will watch it. If I want some Pavarotti, I'll youtube him. For now, let's have fun here and support each other in our efforts!!

ClarelolaLEVEL 81

Reply by ClarelolaPATRON

T.tommymackay

As you can see...
Perhaps you should coach me...Agent_Coulsen

AC - you need a LOT of help, mate! Bwahaha!!! More than singsnap can offer, I'm afraid...

ClarelolaLEVEL 81

Reply by ClarelolaPATRON

I truly hope this community's ethos is sinking into your consciousness. No-one is here to slag others on their vocal stylings, so you can keep bailing out your boat on this thread or just have some fun. With all due respect, if this site is too amateur for you, find one that suits your needs.

tommymackayLEVEL 22

Reply by tommymackay

if this were a cooking karoke site, I would not eat any food that looked bad

Why listen to someone singing badly?

I am a professional singer, and when I post a recording , the public will give me app.4 seconds.

It's a fun place for amateurs TRY REVERB NATION if you want real singing

https://www.reverbnation.com/tommackay/songs

VitaminDeeLEVEL 101

I truly hope this community's ethos is sinking into your consciousness. No-one is here to slag others on their vocal stylings, so you can keep bailing out your boat on this thread or just have some fun. With all due respect, if this site is too amateur for you, find one that suits your needs.

Clarelola

Ya uh clare bear

you wasted your time lol look up-- dude is here four months and wants to run the place lol haa haa

ClarelolaLEVEL 81

Reply by ClarelolaPATRON

Ya uh clare bear

you wasted your time lol look up-- dude is here four months and wants to run the place lol haa haaVitaminDee

Sigh....I tried...

neodrewLEVEL 94

Reply by neodrewGOLD

Tommy - I'd like to offer some thoughts on coaching and constructive criticism for you to consider, based on what you've asked and shared in your posts so far. You asked for comments, so please allow me to sum up what we know so far...

You asked in your original post if vocal coaching could be helpful for some members. I think coaching can certainly be helpful for those who request it.

In a later post, you mentioned a member had asked for your critique of a specific recording, and you told us what you found wrong with it, and shared that you advised the singer to delete the recording and choose songs within her range.

Now - let me be clear about something before I make my comments: I don't know what the member specifically asked of you, and I don't know what sort of relationship the two of you had established on SingSnap prior to the request and the response you provided.

What I DO know is what you have said in this discussion, and what you have asked us to comment upon: Coaching and Constructive Criticism

Based on your description of what happened and what you said, my opinion is that your criticism - no matter how accurate it may have been - was not received as you hoped because it sounds as if you failed to present your thoughts in a coaching manner.

You mentioned a few different things you felt needed improvement - did you attempt to discuss them with the performer, or did you move straight into management mode and suggest the recording be deleted?

A coach should be able to take all aspects of a performance into account and attempt to bring the performer into agreement about necessary areas of improvement, and then, provide feedback on the means of practicing in order to make progress in those areas.

If those things did not happen, and your advice was to scrap the whole thing and sing a song in a different key, then I can understand how that would be perceived as unhelpful by the performer. It sounds like the person was looking for coaching, not career advice.

I'm happy to discuss my comments with you, or with anyone else taking the time to read them. I admit that I don't know all the details, and I'm only working within what information has been provided here. If there are things I am not aware of that would change my critique, I'd appreciate hearing them.

VitaminDeeLEVEL 101

Ya uh clare bear

you wasted your time lol look up-- dude is here four months and wants to run the place lol haa haaVitaminDee

Sigh....I tried...Clarelola

I cant handle being in the presence of a "professional" singer? Can you?

I mean i am so bad, i am soo off key, i should sell my mic, and delete all my songs. OH and never sing again, right?

I have heard some awful stuff on reverbnation --

ClarelolaLEVEL 81

Reply by ClarelolaPATRON

Ya uh clare bear

Sigh....I tried...Clarelola

I cant handle being in the presence of a "professional" singer? Can you?

I mean i am so bad, i am soo off key, i should sell my mic, and delete all my songs. OH and never sing again, right?

I have heard some awful stuff on reverbnation --VitaminDee

I think the right move is...

ClarelolaLEVEL 81

Reply by ClarelolaPATRON

You asked in your original post if vocal coaching could be helpful for some members. I think coaching can certainly be helpful for those who request it.neodrew

neodrewLEVEL 94

Reply by neodrewGOLD

I am a professional singer, and when I post a recording , the public will give me app.4 seconds.

http://www.reverbnation.com/tommackay/songstommymackay

If I want real singing by amateurs, I can recommend SEVERAL here on SingSnap
If I want real singing by professionals, I can recommend SEVERAL here on SingSnap as well

because I have interacted with them... I have taken time to get to know them

I think those two things are key to a coaching relationship

Do you?

ClarelolaLEVEL 81

Reply by ClarelolaPATRON

I think the point - repeatedly made and repeatedly missed - is that this is NOT a site for coaching singers to stardom. We are having fun. If someone asks you for advice, just keep it private instead of farming it out to this thread. Nobody really cares about your viewpoint because they don't know you and you are coming across as sort of a know-it-all with your "professionalism". Me...I love to goad a bit when these topics get boring because...well...I have nothing else to do today except stare at my walls and maybe practice my bad vocal techniques.

cough cough...lalala...lalala...ahem....ooooo...aaahhhh....squeak.

ClarelolaLEVEL 81

Reply by ClarelolaPATRON

And dude, for those people who want a little, "Hey, Look at me!!" what's the harm on here? Don't listen if you don't want to. Develop friends you respect and listen to them. Start a club but keep it private, please.

ClarelolaLEVEL 81

Reply by ClarelolaPATRON

How do you feel about some coaching for our members?
We all try so hard to sound our best,and some tips will help.

EXAMPLE : Practise a song first before recording, in YOUR BEST KEY ( G is good for most men )
Breathe in and fill the diafram - exhale, and hold in 1/2

HOLD the phrase at the end of a line, and hold the key -don't drop in pitch

These are a few starters. I admit, i need to practise as well.
never sing when drunk.

Any comments ?tommymackay

Going back to the beginning, there is good advice here for those who want. Perhaps this thread diverged from your original intent. I can see you are being helpful and general enough here and offering the things you notice about how to improve vocal technique. I would like to remember you this way.

Agent_Coulsen

Edited reply by Agent_CoulsenPATRON

Unguarded with Violet...! watchandlisten/play/b5636ed9b

T.tommymackay

As you can see...
Perhaps you should coach me...Agent_Coulsen

AC - you need a LOT of help, mate! Bwahaha!!! More than singsnap can offer, I'm afraid...Clarelola

It's OK...
Don't worry about me......
I'll be fine.......

VitaminDeeLEVEL 101

If someone can't sing and people do not like it- it is only for the entertainment of the singer, who is a paying customer.
If they sound rotten, please don't tell them how great they sounded.

They won't learn anything.

Suggest they take some lessons.

If you tell them you are bad then they hate you !
tommymackay

Beauty is in the Ear and heart of the listener.

Beauty is where you find it.
It is possible to share something positive about a recording created on here, SingSnap.com-- an ONLINE karaoke site.

This site has been her over a decade and YOU--- just under four months-- YOU don't walk in to a stranger's house or join a club and tell them how to run things-- especially when you no one HERE asked what you thought.

Would you walk up to someone at a bar who participated in karaoke and tell them they suck and demand that bar owes you a refund??
YA - you probably would

Treat this awesome site like a buffet, enjoy what you like and leave the rest.
Do you got to the buffet and holler at the manager because there is a food you find offensive on the buffet? NO.... well wait, would you?

YOUR attitude might have cost you the chance to meet some amazing folks on here from all walks of life.

I can't imagine a professional singer acting this ugly toward strangers that don't process their skill set. In this case a perceived skill set

A true professional would be kind and encouraging and not blast the skill level of potential fans in a public thread.

----------------BOTTOM LINE------------------

Take what you like and leave the rest.

Live and let live

Don't over look good waiting for perfect

Bunnykins

Reply by BunnykinsGOLD

You have an ok voice but to be perfectly honest, there are MANY here on SS that are way better.

I've sang for a living since I was 16 years old. I guess you would call me a professional singer but I have heard MANY here on SS that are way better than me.

My dad was a vocal coach in musical theatre for over 30 years. He worked with some of the best singers in the world. He was tough but also very encouraging. He knew how to bring the best out in singers and never once did he insult them.

Everyone has different tastes in music. What sounds great to some can sound pretty dire to others.

Jubi

Edited reply by JubiGOLD

My dad was a vocal coach in musical theatre for over 30 years. He worked with some of the best singers in the world. He was tough but also very encouraging. He knew how to bring the best out in singers and never once did he insult them.

Everyone has different tastes in music. What sounds great to some can sound pretty dire to others.Bunnykins

While taking vocal training in college, there were two teachers. One gave you an easy 'A'. The other was tough as nails. I chose the tough instructor. Boy am I glad, lol. It was so worth the effort. My instructor was very much like your father

sabathielLEVEL 43

Dude you only sing really really old songs and all in the same style. Try some Billie Eilish Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha...................she is the latest thang in contemporary pop music and at 18 she already sang a James Bond theme. With your attitude and mannerism Youtube is the place to be.....it's a jungle there.........you might even find occasionally members of ISIS and Al Qeada commenting on videos.......and I heard they like old old country songs............You'll fit right in there.

socomicefoxLEVEL 77

Reply by socomicefoxGOLD

If I want real singing huh? Professional singer alright let me go listen hell ya brb brother I am the mood for some music let me click on this reverbnation link you sent here.

Im gonna listen to Hey Good Lookin!

socomicefoxLEVEL 77

Reply by socomicefoxGOLD

@TommyMackay

Why listen to someone singing badly? I mean anyone to ask that question I thought I would be actually listening to someone that couldnt even sing a note themself. But you can actually sing not that bad brother I enjoyed that song Hey Good Lookin!

Now as for your thinking of why listen to someone sing badly or you would not eat any food that looked bad cmon man you know damn well you ate food in your life that looked bad. I know I have. My dad I love him very much but hes a terrible cook and yea ya know around christmas time he tries to make a cookie and the way I see it on tv how they look their cookies I give a 10/10 they look good my dads cookies I have to give it a 3/10 his cookies dont look like a christmas tree cookie it looks more of something else lmfaoooo but I still eat it.

What can you gain from listening to a not so good singer sing? Well I listen to songs that I am in the mood for and no matter who sings it as long as they singing the song and they are enjoying the song and actually into the song I will sit there and listen to it. There has been times that ppl who dont sound great will sing a song but you can hear it in their voice even though they dont have the range for the song or can sing the song greatly as others they still have feeling for the song and that is something you dont need skill for. A listener can connect to anyone good or bad if they feel their singing.

Here at Singsnap I have clicked on random ppl singing who is known not to sing so good but they do it because they love to sing just like us all here at Singsnap. But anyways I was listening to this person sing and they lost someone in their life they truly cared for and they was singing this song to them you could hear it in their voice and the way they was singing the song. And I tell you what man I will be honest with you I left em a comment and it brightend their day. Knowing that brighten their day that they had a listener take time to listen to their song it brightend my day as well.

There has been times at Singsnap no matter what the singer sounds like good or bad I was able to connect while listening to their song and I will admit I cried sometimes on some of these songs ppl have sing as I was listening to them. Alot of us have scars that happened in our life and when we sing music no matter if we are good or bad its what heals us even if we are not singing the song ourselves but listening to it.

TommackayLEVEL 8

Reply by Tommackay

right on ! I like it

flatduckLEVEL 57

Reply by flatduckGOLD

wow i m the worst singer on SS and i sure won t take you for a coach