This topic is listed in Recording Help & Tips.
It has been viewed 171,972 times and 315 replies have been made.

- Next
Jason

Post by JasonSTAFF

Alright folks, here is a quick and dirty run through of the steps to enable Stereo Mix or What U Hear in Vista.

Step 1. Right click on the speaker icon by the clock in the lower right, and select Recording Devices.

Step 2. Your screen will likely look something like this. Notice only two items here.

Step 3. Right click in the 'blank area' and select Show Disabled Devices.

Step 4. Now you may have a lot more items in the list. Find one called What U Hear or Stereo Mix.

Step 5. Right click on the one you found, and select Enable.

Step 7. Next, right click on it again and select Set as Default Device.

Step 8. Done! YAY!

If you have more tips or find other neat things to do with this, post it here.

If you have questions or problems not covered here, start a new thread, don't reply to this. It will help you get a speedier answer.

Lovetoloveu36

Reply by Lovetoloveu36

Hi! i have been waiting to come back to singsnap i have a new laptop with vista and havent been able to sing as i couldnt figure out all the new settings with vista..
Now i did what you say up until step 4 and i dont get the two that you mention come up i only have one thing appear and its called
'wave out mix' ? does that mean anything to you?
your help would be greatly appreciated ..
cheers
Deexx

stefalupagus

Reply by stefalupagus

Hi. When I right click and show disabled devices, nothing new appears. I am running Vista Home Premium. Any suggestions?

Karaokeman27

Reply by Karaokeman27

mine does the same.

HowardH

Reply by HowardH

I am a Vista user who was frustrated by these problems, too, for weeks. But it's finally working for me as of this morning! (SingSnap support guy Tony talked me through it.) I had followed all the steps above but I was still singing acapella, haha. Tony kept asking me if my sound card was selected on the microphone tab in the Flash player's settings. What? But yeah, that was what fixed it for me.

Right-click on the flash player, go to "Settings...". Then click the microphone tab. There is a drop-down list on that page. Your sound card (in my case, "Stereo Mix") must be selected here as well. Suddenly I'm back in business (despite VISTA)!

By the way, Luvetoloveu36 (above), yes! "wave out mix" is the same as "what you hear" or "stereo mix". That should be your default recording device for SingSnap.
GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY. Keep trying.

T-DOGG

Reply by T-DOGG

I tried that 2 and nothin i can't figure it out? if any one could help i would apreciate it thx!

nrh83

Reply by nrh83

I had to buy a new sound card (was using onboard sound) Before I could get the "What U Hear" option, I bought a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi and I highly recommend geting one if your serious about music on the pc.

Elisabeth

Reply by Elisabeth

Arghh, it´s not working for me! I have a Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit External sound card and I could only hear my own voice, but now that I have enabled "Stereo mix" there is no sound at all, no voice and no music!? What am I doing wrong?

Darlena

Reply by Darlena

Yes it seems we all have similar problems here. When recording, I only get my voice sound recorded, not the music.... dell tech have not been able to help AT ALL.... I am running VISTA as well (which seems to be the big problem here) and have Soundblaster Audigy Soundcard.
I tried the above help.... I got to step three.... clicked on show disabled devices and nothing new appears!
Please help!

lily04

Edited reply by lily04GOLD

Arghh, it´s not working for me! I have a Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit External sound card and I could only hear my own voice, but now that I have enabled "Stereo mix" there is no sound at all, no voice and no music!? What am I doing wrong?Elisabeth

Elisabeth-
I'm one of the fortunate ones I guess cause I've not had vista issues with SingSnap once i followed the above instructions.
In my quest to help, I did find something and I'm crossing my fingers this is your problem!
Right click on the flash player (just right click in the box where the lyrics come up) and then click on Settings. a box will open. you'll see a slider bar that has Record Volume above it. is it all the way to the left, per chance? i tried it out and when i recorded with the indicator to the left, i got zero sound. you may have to adjust it a little to get the best sound as if it's too far to the right it will cause distortion.
i hope this helps!!
good luck!

Daniela4Luv

Reply by Daniela4Luv

OK..my problem is that i have windows "vista" i have installed my emu sound card and it isnt giving me the option to choose that card for my audio to record music...so whenever i playback i do not hear music nor my voice, after recording..it just doesnt record the music and/or voice...because my sound card isnt an option...how can i fix that? i just got this computer and my old one which was windows xp it all worked great! help? can you please message me when you have answered my question so i know to go look at any replies?Thanks.....

nextamericanidol

Reply by nextamericanidol

im having trouble every time i right click the volume its comes up the voulme box..not what it says there what do i do???

podsindapea

Reply by podsindapea

Yeah, I've had problems with this stinkin' Vista and SingSnap, too. I've done everything but stand on my head and nothing seems to work. Bless Tony's heart, he's tried to help me, but to no avail. My guess is to get a new sound card because nothing I do seems to help. I feel like I'm totally hosed!

-Snoopy-

Reply by -Snoopy-

i have vista home premium n a dell pc, i cant get the music to play along with my voice in playback and its sore on the ears to be hearing myself without backing music.lol ive tried all the help ideas above but to no avail, any one know anything else i can try?

Lara

Reply by Lara

Jason, thanks for the lowdown, BUT many of us Vista users only have a Mic and StereoMix Wave thing visible, which is a bit confusing for us non-techies...I finally figured it all out due to two posts in another thread which I think needs to go in this thread.

BIG THANKS TO HOOTZ AND WITCHDOCTRESS....without whom...there would be no more singing from me...it is bedtime now, but I got a whole lotta singing to do tomorrwow...cos I am all fixed thanks to THE FOLLOWING POST:

Reply by TheWitchDoctress on May 8, 2007 at 11:52 PM:

ok ppl...Me thinks I got it figured out...the hubby had to go and get this dang program with his new computer but it's me who gets to figure it all out...lol...
anyways, I used Hootz's link

http://blogs.technet.com/aralves/archive/2006/09/11/455366.aspx

to get me started.
1st: you must have both the show disabled devices and show disconnected devices checked off in order to find the hidden devices.

Now hopefully I've written this as simply as possible, so here it goes:

Right-click on the audio device on the taskbar if you've already done the step above and have closed the window.
Go to Playback and right-click on speakers then click on Properties.
Click on Levels and set Line In to 45, set Microphone to 90.
You may want to change these later as you figure out your preference but it's a good starting place.
Click on Enhancements and check off Equalizer and also check off Immediate mode.
You should change your setting ie Ours is set for Living Room.

Click ok.

Next, click on Recording.
Right-click microphone then click on Properties.
Click on Levels and set microphone at 35 and set Microphone boost 2/3's the way to the right.
The little box beside it should say +20.0 dB.
Click on Enhancements and make sure that both Immediate mode and DC Offset Cancellation are checked.

Click ok.

Right-click Stereo Mix (may be listed under a different name ie. WaveOut Mix, but it should still be the same device).
Click Properties, then click Levels.
Set Stereo Mix to 65. Again, you may want to change this later but it's a good starting point.
Click on Enhancements and make sure both Immediate mode and DC Offset Cancellation are checked.

Click ok.

Right-click Stereo Mix once more and set as default device. This will change when you are singing but that's ok.

Now go and try to record a song.
You will probably have to adjust the volume but may I suggest you do the adjusting with the buttons on the keyboard.
It's a lot easier and less frustrating that way.
Once recorded, take a listen and see if you can hear both the music as well as your voice.

When I tried it after doing those settings all ya heard was a great big WOO HOO out of me!!! Cause it worked.

Hopefully this will help you all as well. If yer still stuck, PM me and I'll see if I can help ya!!

Cheers,
Doc

Cajun77

Reply by Cajun77

I have Vista and did all of the steps above, i hear the music but no voice. When I enable the stereo mixer, my mic does not work. When I disable it and enable the mic, the mic works. Is there anything else I should be doing like lowering or raising the levels?

ZephyrWolf31

Reply by ZephyrWolf31

I have the same problem as Cajunbear77 there...I can enable "What U Hear" with my Soundblaster Audigy SE, but when I do, my microphone stops working.

When I was using XP, I'd select "What U Hear" and it would record everything, music AND voice. Now it seems I'm stuck with one or the other which is no good for this site... Please help?

Gabz

Reply by Gabz

mine does that too

Cajun77

Reply by Cajun77

Where in Vista is the Enhancements, Immediate Mode, DC offset? Still trying the steps above, but as usual with Stereo Mix, only music, no voice. With Microphone checked no music. Any luck from you guys?

Cajun77

Reply by Cajun77

If any of you have yahoo messenger, you can message me there to help out, my ID is jpb6499, please leave a message to let me know it's someone from singsnap, thanks

Sunshine

Reply by SunshineGOLD

I have the same problem.....either no music or no voice...if someone finds a solution will you please post it here so that I can give it a try!! I just hope I don't have to buy an new soundcard........thank you.....

danjg

Reply by danjgGOLD

everything on hear does not work for me

Silliana

Reply by Silliana

Just got Vista and have problems with everything what sounds is about.

Silliana

Reply by Silliana

Doesn`t hear either You Tube or Sing Snap-videos !!

VINCE

Reply by VINCEGOLD

I am a Vista user who was frustrated by these problems, too, for weeks. But it's finally working for me as of this morning! (SingSnap support guy Tony talked me through it.) I had followed all the steps above but I was still singing acapella, haha. Tony kept asking me if my sound card was selected on the microphone tab in the Flash player's settings. What? But yeah, that was what fixed it for me.

Right-click on the flash player, go to "Settings...". Then click the microphone tab. There is a drop-down list on that page. Your sound card (in my case, "Stereo Mix") must be selected here as well. Suddenly I'm back in business (despite VISTA)!

By the way, Luvetoloveu36 (above), yes! "wave out mix" is the same as "what you hear" or "stereo mix". That should be your default recording device for SingSnap.
GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY. Keep trying.HowardH

VINCE

Reply by VINCEGOLD

WHERE IN THE WORLD IS THE FLASH PLAYER SETTINGS?

HowardH

Reply by HowardH

Vince,
Here's how you get to your flash player settings:

When your SingSnap recorder/player is showing, right click on it anywhere. That's all. There are microphone tab, camera tab, etc. (On the "privacy" tab, my Vista will not allow me to select "always allow" and "remember" for microphone access here (must be some over-zealous security feature?), so I had to click the "advanced" privacy settings button, surf around a bit, and tell Flash to always allow "www.singsnap.com" access to my mic & cam.

They sure like to make it difficult, don't they? Good luck.

Cajun77

Reply by Cajun77

Hi all,

I got the music and the distortion fixed, but still no luck in my voice coming through when I use Stereo Mix. The only time my voice works is when I go back to Microphone BUT no music or very low music. Has anyone had any luck fixing theirs that have Vista?

pixiwiggles

Reply by pixiwiggles

okay, I need help bad!!!!!!! I followed the instructions on how to enable the stereo mix, now I have no sound at all, anywhere. I went back and undid everything, and still, no sound. Everything I look at says my speakers are working, so what's going on?????

pixiwiggles

Reply by pixiwiggles

okay, nevermind, I fixed that, but I can't get back to the place that I was when I muted my mic, dangit!

Barbie_Smiles

Reply by Barbie_SmilesGOLD

no luck I have voice & no music & I have mic & stereo mix both enabled . very aggrevating to a singsnap addict !!

pixiwiggles

Reply by pixiwiggles

I think I've got it figured out. Do what they posted at the beginning, then go to the start menu, choose control panel, click hardware and sounds, and at the bottom should be an option for audio manager. From there, you can adjust your speakers, stereo mix and microphone. Maybe this will help you. Took me a while to figure it out and it worked for me.

Luv4julie1

Reply by Luv4julie1

ok...i am using a "soundblaster external live 24-bit" mixer....which of course wasnt compatable with this CRAP vista...got a driver for it a while back and could only get 2 of the 5 things on it to work..but at least i could record. i found a NEW driver last night that said i could use EVERYTHING again with it...but after i dled it...i do not have the option{at least anywhere that i know to look} to get it on what you hear, stereo mix or anything like that. i have tried ALL of the steps above...and i dont get the options that you all mention. alsoooooooo...now this is weird...im still using the same mic i did b4...and it isss working when i test and try to record...but i cannot hear my voice coming thru the speakers now...but its there in playback...{without the music of course} i plugged the same mic into my karaoke machine today..and i could hear myself..so i know it isnt the mic. i ALSO tried doing a system restore...back to b4 i did the stupid download...and it still doesnt work....does it sound like i have missed trying ANYTHING????? lol plzzzzzzzzz help! im going thru SERIOUS withdrawls here...lol ...if anyone can help me....im on yahoo messenger as luv4julie2 AND aol as luv4julie1.....>crossin fingers toes and everything!!<
LOL

Luv4julie1

Reply by Luv4julie1

somebody??? anybody???? >WAHHHHHHHHHHH<

Cajun77

Reply by Cajun77

Hey all,

I realized that I guess my sound card and Vista were not compatible with SingSnap so I did the unthinkable and switched back to XP, no biggie and everything works fine. I'm now able to record voice and music, using the same mic that plugs in to the sound card.

Silliana

Reply by Silliana

Have got my sound back now,but still trying to get my mic to work.:-/

Luv4julie1

Reply by Luv4julie1

i still cant singggggggggg...help! plz! lol

Silliana

Reply by Silliana

I can`t either,Julie.:-(

But now I finally got my mic to work,just have to get the music louder.

Must read what Lara above here wrote....

Lovetoloveu36

Reply by Lovetoloveu36

arrggh i gave up.. went back to old pc with two cheap headsets that i have to use both as they both wont work on the own HAHA but.. i can sing atleast..
well try to anyhow haha..
I should keep trying to fix it though but its not just the vista prob its the internal sound its crap.

Scotty209

Reply by Scotty209

Jason.. I have a Vista.. and I tried to follow your chart but I cant even get up the things you have displayed there..

my problem is the music.. my mic works and all that but when playing back my recorded work.. the music is very low to almost nothing.

any help or tips would be appreciated
scott`

Luv4julie1

Reply by Luv4julie1

me too scotty...i dont get the options they mention..i can find anywhere that i can change it to record "what u hear" grrrrrrrrr! see if i ever download another update! :'(

Michelle_T

Reply by Michelle_TGOLD

I'm with ya Julie, I wanna know what the h*** I can do to get this working again!!!!!!!! I just got this stupid computer with Vista and now I can't hear my voice coming through on the speakers either. So........I called the support line and after going through 15 thousand different things, she tells me "Sorry, Vista doesn't allow you to hear your own vocals come through the speakers!!!!!! I don't know what to do, but if anyone can help at all........I would sooooooooooooooo appreciate it!!! I wanna sing :-[

Knotty

Reply by Knotty

The problem seems to be that if you have vista on a new LAPTOP (like I do) the sound card doesn't have the same or as many options as the desktop version does. I may be way off here as I'm not computer savvy but this is the impression I'm getting.

My husband who works for Geek Squad at Best Buy says I have to wait for Microsoft to provide an update. Uh... no i'm not gunna! So tried singing on SingShot. Very similar to SingSnap and while i miss all the things I love about SingSnap and all the people... I really just want to be able to sing.

If anyone goes to Singshot and want to look me up... i'm Debinatrix. And things there work fine for me. I can record perfectly. Maybe if enough of us get fed up with not being able to record here and leave for Singshot then the powers that be here at Singsnap will get the clue and fix the problem.

Deb
(Knotty)
or
(Debinatrix if you vist me on Singshot)

shortstuff65

Reply by shortstuff65

Hi Deb, I had the same problem only I have a desktop.I called hp the maker of my computer, they put me on another browser, "firefox" I know have sound on both mic and music but, my music is so loud I can't turn it down. I also was told to check the mic setting on the flash player. it should be all the way to the left. right click on the player, then click setting and that will bring up a small window with ,I think 4 different icons, on the bottom click on the mic icon and move the lever to the left. I hope this help you. now I have to figuer,out how to turn the music down so I can be heard.
I hope this helps shortstuff65 .Sylvia

Rob

Reply by RobSTAFF

To Fix Vista Mic and Music setting
You must have The Playback Volume turned on to get both music and your vocals. It is in your microphone setting. I set mine at 50 for right and left it seems to be working well. I have my microphone set as default but I have the stereo mix enabled as well. When you go to the wizard select stereo mix not your mic also in the flash setting select stereo mix not your mic. You will still have to adjust you mic levels and the stereo mix levels I have mine set at 50 and 50 respectively

Jenna

Reply by Jenna

also as a little tip... don't run the Wizard if you have vista... instead.... right click on the player.. go to settings and adjust things there manually... casue the wizards seems to not like Visat too much.... I've found this helps too and hope it helps you

MERVSBEEBEE

Reply by MERVSBEEBEE

I would like to thank Lara for her instructions. they worked for me.. I did have to turn my mic volume to 50 tho.. and then when i was recording turn music to halfway on the meter but it worked... whoooohoooooo

SeaShell

Reply by SeaShell

Thanks Howardh! The right click anywhere in7th step will open up another slide window,which ables you to click tab for settings to save! This Vista is the BenQ 2007 system & talk about advanced settings...I have been singing for some time now Accapella! I APPRICIATE everyone's greatful help! Hope the "Right click" helps you all. The wizard will do the rest when ready to record,if you follow all 8steps! ~GodBless,~SeaShellp.s Vista is like speed stick,it slowed down&stuck! LoL

Ebony_and_Ivory

Reply by Ebony_and_Ivory

I wonder if it makes a differance what make the Vista is? Because i have an Acer and have had it for about 4 months and once i did the settings above i have never had a problem. Oh mine is a desk top as well. But it is true with the Vista it seems everything is hidden lol. I hope you all can get your Vista,s up an running, i know how frustrateing it can be. But hey look at it this way, we all have these new Vistas and we will know how they work before everyone else lol. Just trying to make ya all feel better, hugs Brenda

Ebony_and_Ivory

Reply by Ebony_and_Ivory

Oh yaaaaaaaa, i was wonderinf what kind of mic everyone is useing with their Vista, i know alot of things are not compatible with this computer

LadyArwen

Reply by LadyArwen

i like how this is the only thread that people are being directed to. i have done everything in here, as well as a number of other things, and when i follow the instructions here, i get my voice but no background music. if i change anything, i get background music with no vocal.

i've noticed other people saying they don't have this problem on other karoke sites, and i think i am just going to give up on singsnap and head somewhere else.

- Next