Perfect Your Performance!

This topic is listed in General Discussion. It has been viewed 7,272 times and 349 replies have been made.

Next >>
NovellaLEVEL 111

Edited post by NovellaSTAFF +12

By Sunny_k

Quick Tips To Improve Your Karaoke Performance!

1. Pick your song wisely by asking yourself these two questions….

A. Is this song within your range?
When choosing a song, try to stick with those that work best for your vocals. Never, ever try to perform a number that is completely out of your range, your audience will hear it and furthermore you could critically damage your vocal cords and non of us want that. If you can sing it without straining, that’s a good sign it’s in your range.

B. Do you like this song?
If you are singing a song you just don’t like, it will show. You want to find something you are really comfortable with, this will boost your confidence which in turn gives your audience a genuine super performance over a dry detached one. Always remember, you sing because it brings you pleasure, pick your songs accordingly and it will pay off.

2. Keep those vocal cords hydrated
You wouldn't run your car without oil would you? OK I did ignore that light once, trust me friends it doesn't work out well. Water helps your body to produce a mucus lubricant for your vocal-cords that helps them function properly. When we sing low notes the vocal cords vibrate around 60 times per second, high notes can go as fast as 2000 times per second. Like an engine, must keep them parts well oiled if we want them to work properly. During your singing sessions, drink water to help reduce cracking and hoarseness by keeping those vocal cords well hydrated.

3. Practice
Once you find the perfect song, practice, practice and practice! Become familiar with the lyrics, even if you can’t completely memorize the whole song know it enough so you can take your eyes off the screen once in a while. This will add tons to your performance by allowing you to be more relaxed and confident.

4. Control your volume
Many people, including yours truly have made this mistake, getting louder when trying to hit those high notes. Don’t do it! It’s terrible for your vocal cords and it really shows you are struggling. Keep your volume throughout your performance consistent and allow your mouth to stay more relaxed than tense. Drop your jaw or stretch your mouth on the sides over opening your mouth wide open. This will by far increase your chances of hitting those notes with less strain on those vocal cords.

5. Posture is important
If you are standing, stand straight. If you are setting, set up straight. A straight supportive spine is a must to keep your neck and shoulders relaxed to reduce tension on your vocal cords. Also a straight spine helps keep your chest cavity open to it’s fullest allowing you to take in the maximum amount of air with each breath.

6. Show those emotions
I think this is the biggest tip of them all, don’t be afraid to allow the emotion of the song to come out. The best performances are not always those with the strongest vocals, it’s the ones that we can feel. Whether it’s a song about heartbreak or a tune to get you dancing, allow your emotions to pour out into your song. Sing with your heart! A couple of good examples of this is Joe Cocker’s You Are So Beautiful and Louis Armstrong - What A Wonderful World. And it’s perfectly fine to sing it the way YOU feel it, even if it strays from the original.

That’s all the tips I have for now. Did I miss anything? Share your tips with us below!

Happy Singing!

ChadCLEVEL 64

Reply by ChadCGOLD

trojan55LEVEL 111

Reply by trojan55GOLD

Very interesting

Me_JoyceLEVEL 110

Reply by Me_JoycePATRON +2

God gave you this day. Enjoy it. Don't be too busy, to enjoy the beauty, around you.

Awesome article..

HelenR5337LEVEL 96

Reply by HelenR5337GOLD

r/c6ba95f89 .. OPEN DUET .. Wasted Days And Wasted Nights

Great article I agree

trojan55LEVEL 111

Reply by trojan55GOLD

I only need 99,653 more announcements to reach level 112 ..

NovellaLEVEL 111

Reply by NovellaSTAFF +12

I only need 99,653 more announcements to reach level 112 .. trojan55

haha

On the new site, you will have a big jump on everyone so keep collecting points!

Aerospace_CowboyLEVEL 40

Reply by Aerospace_Cowboy

Great advice!!

Terri-AnneLEVEL 88

Reply by Terri-AnneGOLD

5 more days to wait to see if I need more surgery..feeling apprehensive & a bit nervous

A great 5 minute read and some very helpful tips! Thanks for sharing!

MatkamLEVEL 105

Reply by MatkamGOLD +1

Laughter is timeless, Imagination has no age and Dreams are forever

Very informative

MatkamLEVEL 105

Reply by MatkamGOLD +1

Laughter is timeless, Imagination has no age and Dreams are forever

I only need 99,653 more announcements to reach level 112 .. trojan55

Hang in there Rich your day will come

Angelgirl758LEVEL 111

Reply by Angelgirl758GOLD +11

Took me a while but I try and follow most of these!
Thanks

sweetcheeks27

Reply by sweetcheeks27SPECIAL-EVENTS

Wonderful Article Kelly loved it!

BigFoot52LEVEL 74

Reply by BigFoot52GOLD

Thanks for the tips.

AnneB128LEVEL 103

Reply by AnneB128GOLD

Really good information, thank you

DaBratttLEVEL 102

Reply by DaBratttGOLD

Awesome tips!
Happy singing!!

vflgalLEVEL 101

Reply by vflgalGOLD

Great article Kelly Very informative

MissMass72

Reply by MissMass72GOLD

Great advice...I would like to add something that goes hand in hand with volume and emotional delivery: Dynamic Control. Most songs start softly...increasing in intensity to a climactic point...there may even be two of these...and often taper down to soft at the end. If you start loud and strong you have nowhere to build up to because you are already there. So ride the emotional waves of the song, musicically and lyrically. You will enjoy your sing so much more....and so will your fans!!
Marie

DaisyTeaLEVEL 101

Reply by DaisyTeaGOLD

Happy Civic Holiday Weekend! :D

Yes. Great tips, Sunny_ K

I shall take the liberty to add : 7. Warming up with some chords or even sing the song lightly and not full out the first couple of times helps with a really good final recording.

Misty_NiteLEVEL 74

Reply by Misty_NiteGOLD

This surely is some great advice. Thank you for sharing this information with us.

MaryW2832LEVEL 105

Reply by MaryW2832GOLD

A tip I just learned: We tend to keep water nearby when we sing (to clear the frogs!) I've always had chilled water by me. I recently found out that water needs to be room temperature or it impedes the performance of your vocal cords. Celine Dion swears by no talking the day of an evening performance and drinks tons of hot tea with honey and lemon. Now that's commitment to the performance!

HelenR5337LEVEL 96

Reply by HelenR5337GOLD

r/c6ba95f89 .. OPEN DUET .. Wasted Days And Wasted Nights

I read somewhere to yawn and hum a little before starting to sing!

MelanieE2128LEVEL 89

Reply by MelanieE2128GOLD

Great article!
I add a drop of lime, squirt of lime, or wedge of lime to my room-temperature water. I read somewhere that lime added to the water helps protect your singing voice, and I find it to work well for me

Carol-ALEVEL 107

Reply by Carol-APATRON +11

Praying 4U always Ken...

I make sure that I haven't eaten anything maybe 2 hrs before I start singing or it hinders my air quality, I have COPD......

Carol-ALEVEL 107

Reply by Carol-APATRON +11

Praying 4U always Ken...

thanks for the great tips !

Thessa_CALEVEL 111

Reply by Thessa_CAPATRON

very good tips...

I drink water while practicing and if the song is new to my ears, youtube is the best way to go and more practice...

Sunny_KLEVEL 102

Reply by Sunny_KSPECIAL-EVENTS

Hello!

NiamhAF87LEVEL 54

Reply by NiamhAF87GOLD

I also find warming up your voice is a must especially for a tough song

RussM7485LEVEL 69

Reply by RussM7485GOLD

Good information, I need all the help I can get.

Annie_MusicLEVEL 104

Edited reply by Annie_MusicGOLD

Relax your face, and body, be a ragdoll. Try progressive muscle relaxation, great for everything! Be well hydrated! Drink water! Avoid milk chocolate, dairy, eggs, meat, and wheat (may be more) as they are mucous forming.

Annie_MusicLEVEL 104

Reply by Annie_MusicGOLD

Super article! Thanks

Butterfly_AngelstarsLEVEL 92

Reply by Butterfly_AngelstarsGOLD

Perfect! Thanks.
Most of all have fun singing, and those who listen will enjoy it, too. I agree, one has to feel the song, and has to work with your vocals. But I believe that it is good to explore outside the box to see what you might be capable of singing. I think the more you sing the better you become...just my thoughts.
Happy singing!

GentleRaiinLEVEL 106

Reply by GentleRaiinGOLD

Thank you for the sweet birthday wishes forum/topic/b11d38be

Great info.. happy Thursday to all!

sweetangel226LEVEL 73

Edited reply by sweetangel226GOLD

All of that is such great advice,also stay clear dairy before or during your sing..those are also big no nos,warm tea also helps,and yes if you don't like the song the expression and emotion may not be as prominent,people can usually tell by listening to the singer if
they connected with the song or not,very important to stay hydrated too,water,decaffeinated tea,as I have also heard caffeine is bad,I don't know if this is true or not so I steer clear of caffeine...Practice makes perfect and do the singing exercises,yes you sound silly and many a time my family has laughed at me while doing them lol,but they do help ,,READ THE STUDY BELOW,HAS ANYONE HERE TESTED THIS THEORY

Results of Studies on Caffeine and the Voice
One pilot study took eight volunteers and tested their voice quality before and after they consumed 250mg caffeine tablets and found voice quality was reduced. The degree of the effect varied between participants. Another study of 58 females ranging between 18-35, with half given a 100 mg caffeine tablet and another half were given a placebo, found no variables between groups in terms of vocal acoustics and aerodynamics a half hour after ingesting the pill. A group of 16 healthy adults participated in two sessions where they consumed 480 mg or 24mg of caffeine. They found no significant difference in the voice’s ability to deal with prolonged speech between the two sessions.

link provided,hope it's ok To post the link here
http://www.thoughtco.com/is-caffeine-bad-for-singers-2994147

sweetangel226LEVEL 73

Reply by sweetangel226GOLD

mystikopalLEVEL 90

Reply by mystikopalGOLD

great info thank you for the tips! (Ineed all I can git)
~Karen~

shortandsweetLEVEL 72

Reply by shortandsweetGOLD

Thank you!

MaggieCLEVEL 97

Reply by MaggieCGOLD

Taking a break from SS ...for family medical emergency.. I will be back ... but don't know when.

Great tips Kelly. A very interesting and helpful article.

nightsongsLEVEL 99

Reply by nightsongsGOLD

Great info. Thank you for taking the time to put this together.

SingingRainbowLEVEL 107

Reply by SingingRainbowSPECIAL-EVENTS

J&D's country girls @heart#111 >>in auditions now!!Click here! A few places left!! :)

Thank you for the great topic Kelly!! Helpful too!

bubbaglennLEVEL 85

Reply by bubbaglennGOLD

Gotta go get hydrated

GlynnisLEVEL 108

Reply by GlynnisGOLD

<3

Very Interesting and helpful thread, Thanks Sunny and Novella
And Thanks to all for all the added comment tips

HaileyH1373LEVEL 56

Reply by HaileyH1373GOLD

Thank you for the helpful hints Novella. Keep up the good work you do here.

sweetietlkLEVEL 109

Reply by sweetietlkGOLD

Thank you for sharing!

KellyAnne4PeaceLEVEL 109

Reply by KellyAnne4PeacePATRON

Thanks!

MikeIIILEVEL 108

Reply by MikeIIIGOLD

Rest In Peace, Dansolman and to COVID-19 victims*** 2762 songs uploaded.

Misty245LEVEL 100

Reply by Misty245PATRON

Thank you for the tips!

Generic101619

Edited reply by Generic101619

Yasss! Phenomenal, interesting, and informative reading material. Keep up the good work!

SadieBabesLEVEL 111

Reply by SadieBabesGOLD

-TinaLEVEL 108

Reply by -TinaSPECIAL-EVENTS

Ryanne Kennedy Cover born July 23rd 7lbs 10oz 20in long

Awesome Article Kelly

__Angels__LEVEL 111

Reply by __Angels__GOLD

Fantastic article , hugs Kelly !!!

Next >>