This topic is listed in Challenges & Themes - Completed.
It has been viewed 1,399 times and 69 replies have been made.

- Next
Cerebraljam

Post by CerebraljamGOLD

New EAW challenge: forum/topic/b016a868

This challenge is open to all. It runs from Tuesday June 05 until June 12 2012 at 6 PM EST.

PLEASE READ THE GUIDELINES AND THEME DESCRIPTION CAREFULLY BEFORE POSTING.

PURPOSE - The purpose of the EAW Music Challenge is to encourage people to create and/or promote new music each week and to give them a forum to have their songs heard. There is no judging involved.

HOW IT WORKS - Every Tuesday at 6 PM a topic featuring a new theme is posted on our board. Those wishing to participate are invited to post links to their songs that match the theme. Over the years a nice little community has sprung up around these challenges. We invite you to participate but be aware that here everyone is very supportive of each other. Amateurs and professionals are both welcome. You do not have to be a great singer to participate. No flaming is allowed on this board. This is not a contest. There is no judging. It is merely an opportunity to hear and be heard by others. You can post or merely listen and interact with the others who post here. Please follow the detailed guidelines which are posted below and at the top of each new challenge thread. Have fun!

CHALLENGE GUIDELINES -

1. Post links to ONE OR TWO songs that fit the theme. You may post a THIRD one on or after Thursday. You may post a FOURTH song link on or after Saturday. Your song can be a new song or one that was previously recorded.

2. For EACH song link you post, listen to at least SIX other peoples songs and leave feedback. That means, if you post 2 song links you should listen to 12 others over the course of the 7 days of the challenge, a little less than 2 a day. If you post 3 song links, listen to 18 others and so on. You may, of course, listen to more if you choose. Listening is the most important part of this challenge. Supporting and experiencing others is what its about.

3. We prefer to listen to the whole song. Try not to listen to the same people every day. Give new people a chance as well.

4. You don't need to post a song to listen but you need to listen if you post a song. It's best to post earlier in the challenge. But you can post up until the end.

5. Please avoid making multiple posts in a row (spamming) by going back and modifying your posts if you left something out.

6. Remember to post the name of your song. To HOT LINK and post your song title type the following but remove spaces in coding Name of Song .

7. Please do not post glitter or large graphics as feedback or in the thread.

This week's theme - 'Glory Box'

Okay, I had a title for this challenge before I had a theme, and wonder of wonders - it just seemed to create itself.

Firstly, Happy Diamond Jubilee to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, we've all been celebrating a long weekend full of glitz, glamour and fireworks and stuffage, besides getting a couple more days off with the family

I hadn't realised it was the Diamond Jubilee when I came up with the title, but yes... it fits!

Soooo. What is my 'Glory Box'? Well, I thought, it might be rather fitting to make a Time Capsule and fill it with songs you'd love for someone to stumble upon in 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100 years time. I want you to bring me songs from every genre but they need to be good!

Of course, a 'Glory Box' could be where you hide your secret treasures, letters, jewels, whatever, so, if you like, think of something you want to put in the box along with a song, it can be totally unrelated, or... you can find a song that has that treasure in.

Very open challenge again, but let's have a party and enjoy this week celebrating.

In our EAW world, it has come to my notice that today is Mo' the EAW Chatroom's Mascot's, birthday! Happy birthday Mo, I believe you might be 5! So our calendar tells us.

Also and not least, it is Philsbaby Julie's birthday today as well, so we have lots of things to celebrate and party over. Hey, I might even hold chat on Friday, LOL - Hmmm. Have to think about that one, don't wanna get too carried away! ;D

With no further ado, let the fun begin! Thanks everyone.

Cerebraljam

Reply by CerebraljamGOLD

To kick start the challenge, I'm throwing in one I cooked the other day, LOL errrrr...

This song very much deserves to be in a Time Capsule. To me, I remember it from being a little girl and Andy Williams singing it, and then loved it again watching Bad Education where a little boy with the purest of voices sings it, and of course, last but probably should be first, Breakfast at Tiffany's - something to my shame I still have to see! I caught this on YouTube a wee while ago and just had to find the right version, so sorry, had to add a widget.

Moon River - Audrey Hepburn

I've just run away from watching 'Chicago' for the first time ;D So I need to dash back downstairs to finish off. Be back very soon to hear your songs, I hope! Seeeya!

-Bev-

Reply by -Bev-COMMUNITY-ADMIN

hello janet just found you thought I might come and join you all....gotta look for a song though....

-Bev-

er tried to listen to your song Janet....but something not quite right...the song went very quickly...with no music or singing...have you got one of those thingymebobs if so I didnt see the link...

Cerebraljam

Reply by CerebraljamGOLD

Hi Bev, yep, there is a thingymebob directly below in the description. You should see my image and a > play thingy on it. Good to see you!

Oh my! Chicago! Glitzy! An' all that Jazz...

-Bev-

Ok here is one I think should be in that Glory Box its a beautiful song.....by Bette Midler....its one I did the other day...

I Remember You - Bette Midler
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/c58ce512e

-Bev-

awwww I have that movie Breakfast At Tiffanys I usually watch that when I am feeling a bit low or flat....and just simply slob out for the day in my PJ's....and to heck with housework......I shut out the rest of the world and go into movie land...

-Bev-

Ok here is another song I think should be put in a time capsule...and maybe like sleeping beauty a prince might come along to wake me up... hmm knowing my luck it will be another troll....LOL!!! I know this song is from a Disney movie not sure if it is Sleeping Beauty or Snow White...but these are movies that I never tire watching or listening to the music from....

Some Day My Prince Will Come - Barbra Streisand
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/bb6a5f746

-Bev-

now I will get myself off to bed...otherwise I wont be in a fit state to see my grandsons tomorrow...my daughter her husband and my two little grandsons are coming to stay...looking forward to seeing them....you take care and see you all tomorrow

DennyPA

Reply by DennyPAPATRON

I'm not certain if this belongs in a Glory Box or a Lock Box - you decide!

True Love - Patsy Cline
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/c2834989e

Cerebraljam

Reply by CerebraljamGOLD

Hello there! Wow, I disappeared for a few mins... Thank you, Bev and Denny... on my way shortly. Great to get started!

DennyPA

Reply by DennyPAPATRON

Janet is one of my very favorite people here on SS and EAW; therefore, may I offer her yet one more song for her Glory Box!

My Way - Frank Sinatra
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/b46193f7a

Thank you!

DennyPA

Reply by DennyPAPATRON

Hi there, neighbor!!! How are you tonight, Janet? It's already morning where you are, isn't it? You are a real trooper!

Cerebraljam

Reply by CerebraljamGOLD

It's 1.54am and counting, Denny! I have been trying to go to bed by around 1.30-2am. Slim chance tonight, heh. Oh well, PARTY! I do have a meeting tomorrow to prepare for, but it is not till lunchtime.

I'm gonna catch up here before I head off and maybe - just maybe - get up real early? Depending on the weather. I need to get more of this Venus/Sun adventure!
Sigh.

Steve1492

Edited reply by Steve1492

Every once in a while, three isn't a crowd.

Hallelujah - Rufus Wainwright (Anna, Jubi, Me)
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/bda9e1fb6

FrankCNY

Reply by FrankCNYGOLD

What an interesting them Janet, it took a while to think of a song, but I think I found the right one

The Times of Your Life - Paul Anka

Cerebraljam

Reply by CerebraljamGOLD

Thank you, Frank & Steve! I have you both listed and I'm on my way round. Won't get to everyone tonight but excited to see such a good start, and 'I'll be back', to coin a phrase.

Must wind down and get some sleep. Night, night all, have a lovely evening

waltko

Edited reply by waltkoGOLD

Can't think of a more fitting song to be in a time capsule than Ray Charles "Georgia On My Mind
Georgia On My Mind - Ray Charles

There's nothing I more proud of than singing a song and having a talented friend like it so much that they just had to sing along and add beautiful harmony well that happened with this song my friend's name is Kate
Just The Two Of Us -Kate & Walt

jazztrumpet

Reply by jazztrumpetSNAP-STAR

Beautiful song choices so far. I need to come back for my listens. Can we share a song that I am not sure fits in a glory box for the song itself necessarily, but might make a great memory for time capsule to share what I see as true love?

Cerebraljam

Reply by CerebraljamGOLD

Yes! Zzz I'm not here now... heh.

jazztrumpet

Thanks to you elusive or is it translusant Janet?

A Lover's Concerto ~ The Toys
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/c8b89c6ae

PhilBaby

Reply by PhilBabyGOLD

Hello EAW peeps. It's Phil and Julie. Thanks so much for remembering Julie's birthday even though we haven't been around much. We have been soooooo busy with wedding plans. We decided on a wedding at home in the front yard. I'm sure it will be quite the event in this little village we live in. The neighbors and our sons and daughters will be here to celebrate with us...and, of course, the three boxers. We've been painting and putting up a white picket fence and planting flowers plus all of the normal plans that go along with tying the knot-Julie's dress is just as pretty as she is. We will be married on June 30th. Hopefully we will be able to be back as regulars here once things settle down. We will post some pictures for you all to see. We've ordered bow tie collars for the boxer boys and a flower one for Lilly, our baby boxer girl so they won't feel left out. See you all soon.
Love, Phil and Julie

kiki

Reply by kikiGOLD

Hello everybody. I can't think of a more perfect song to fit my feelings and especially a song that I would like to see in the box. In loving memory of Khufu the Cat.

What's New Pussycat
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/watchAndListen/play/bed25fd6

jazztrumpet

Wow! I think that's the most early entries I have seen here. Everyone is sounding great, and thanks again Janet. I always look forward to the EAW challenges.

KittenKat

Reply by KittenKatGOLD

Hi Everyone!! Happy Birthday Julie!! Wow Phil, sounds like a fairy tale wedding....can't wait to see pics of your boxer babies all dressed for the wedding!!
Be back later with a song...starting my listens now!!

Jenny

Edited reply by JennyGOLD

Hi there every bodies ...lovely challenge theme Janet!
I liked The Lion King a lot so this song is my choice for the time capsule.
Hopefully lions won't be extinct by the time it's dug up!

http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/c4650d066
Can You Feel The Love Tonight? ...The Lion King

Happy birthday Julie, those wedding plans sound so beautiful
Happy Wedding Fever Phil & Julie!!

Ruby said she wants to be filled with pink & white roses ...& champagne instead of diesel on the big day & sends a big loud TOOT for good luck ...roses in winter? honestly ...for a gritty hard-driving 4WD she is also a hopeless & impractical romantic.

Our 7th grandchild is due today but is so far not showing any inclination to budge out of mama's cosy nest ...but all set for action ...the planet Venus is in transit ...the moon is full ...the weather is blowing a gale ...what an auspicious time for an entrance!

Listens coming up ...

Mariner

Reply by MarinerGOLD

Good morning, great theme Janet! Congratulations Phil and Julie, I hope you have a wonderful day, and a long and happy life together.

One of my favorite duets with Layla which says it all, and would certainly grace a glory box.

What a Wonderful World
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/bcf1e6a7

Cerebraljam

Reply by CerebraljamGOLD

Goooood morning all! This is a short stop peek in and a big thank you to you all for all the fun you are coming up with.

I've got a crazy day ahead of me with a form, a meeting and then try and zip over to Edinburgh to help my eldest daughter out, so I may not be able to do my catching up until evening.

Just wanted to pop in and wish everyone a lovely day.

I'll come back and read these exciting updates you've posted as soon as I can! Sorry to be so ... outty!

Ps. Jazzy, maybe you should call me Mr Sellophane? Love that song! ;D

Later, my lovelies!!!!

werewoof

Reply by werewoofGOLD

Hi peeps !!

Looks like this challenge is gonna be chock full of goodies!!!!

:~D

-Tas-

Reply by -Tas-GOLD

hi everyone..

Well I would hope someone finds this sing years and years from now after I'm long gone and thinks..wow there is that Greek girl who thought she could sing and that they see/hear it and think well it looks like she was having fun..and in the end that is what this is all about

One and Only
Adele
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/c9723b3c6

fofun

Reply by fofunGOLD

Oh can I play?? I want one to be remembered in 100 years...:) Hi everyone....put this one in the Glory Box plz Janet...

This Guy's In Love With You

Cerebraljam

Reply by CerebraljamGOLD

Mike! Great to have you come and play - Psst bring Sandy here too!

Tas, Yayyyy! I always think you are having fun, and I love that you are Greek!

I got home from Edinburgh to find my two mischievous daughters 'scanning' things. So I had to wait my turn. Sigh.

Long day, but I am really looking forward to catching up with you all.

Gonna go get something cold to drink and relax!

Phil and Julie, we miss you, but owww, there's lots of lovely romantic things going on this summer with EAW... two weddings at least! ;D Keeping both you and Mike & Sandy in my thoughts for following weeks in planning and good weather!

Kiki! I'm so glad you brought Khufu over here for our Glory Box, so many times I've loved seeing you together over the years.

Kat looking forward to your song Terry, thank you for bringing Layla. Is it wet in England today?

Jenny, pink & white roses ...& champagne sounds wonderful for Ruby!

Woof, it sure is a goodie bag so far!

Cerebraljam

Reply by CerebraljamGOLD

Hey, I just caught up! I need MORE songs! Yes, that means YOU out there reading this... come on in, the water's lovely and there's plenty of room to stuff more songs in our capsule. And so many songs out there too!

Everyone can join us, read the first post and jump right in. We look forward to meeting you...

Time for me to wind down and get some Zzz's...

Thank you all for the lovely songs so far!

jazztrumpet

Caught up again. You obviously chose a wonderful topic for a theme Janet. Thank you so very much.

werewoof

Reply by werewoofGOLD

Hi everyone! Been doing a bunch of running lately... So much so that i haven't had enough time to do devote to listening... let alone singing...

I did catch a couple of you tonight anyway, everyone else... I'll get to ya as soon as i have a bit of breathing room in my schedule.

in the meantime here's a song that I recorded a few months ago. I've always felt that Les Miz is the absolute pinnacle of musical theater and will never be equaled. If there was going to be only one broadway show encapsulated for someone a hundred years from now to listen to, it's Les Miz....

Funny thing, Rachel (Wravenswing) and I were both at the show that night... Small world...

Empty chairs at empty tables

Cerebraljam

Reply by CerebraljamGOLD

Hello! Yay! A Woofy song I want to see Les Miz, Woof. The songs sound so haunting.

Wakey, wakey peeps... need more songs

waltko

Reply by waltkoGOLD

Well I'm all caught up to this point , I'm with Janet waiting for more songs

Steve1492

Reply by Steve1492

I'm happy to place this one into the box. Katie's and mine entry into the Dollars for Duet contest.

Let It Be Me
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/bd8e2a5aa

Cerebraljam

Reply by CerebraljamGOLD

Good Evening... Oooo look, Walt! Quick! Another song Yay, thanks Steve.

Talking about the weather... were we? Um. Yeah, well I have to, I'm British. Tonight is the winter of my discontent. We have squally showers. That's not that it is raining parrots, but it is wet wind. It was getting that way when I was out earlier this afternoon/evening. But now? WILD!

Bye summer... sniff. Sigh. Parasols are for stopping the rain in Scotland.

Okay, song, right, shut up, rambling bunny! GRIN.

waltko

Reply by waltkoGOLD

Lol already listened to it Steve and Katie are both so talented how could I not

Cerebraljam

Reply by CerebraljamGOLD

'Like'

fofun

Edited reply by fofunGOLD

I am back to work today, but it sure was fun walking down the street with everyone this week and hope to do it again soon. Great songs, great friends. Sandy and I get married in about one month, maybe afterwards we will have time together to join in more often, I do hope so. This EAW family is where we met and will always be a part of us.

Julie and Phil, I know what you all must be feeling, the excitement and anticipation of being together as a family. I see your wedding date is before mine and Sandy's and we wish you both the best in life and hope to hear from you thru the years. Congrats

Here is my other song I want saved in the Glory Box, I did this almost 5 years ago and it decribes me so well My rendention of " What's Up"

CYA soon

Mariner

Reply by MarinerGOLD

Good afternoon, hope everyone is well. Good to see you Mike, not long to go now before you make an honest woman of her.

Another song for the glory box, originally by Harry Belefonte which I did with my good friend Ali, it was really fun to do.

There's a Hole In My Bucket
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/b7b765c70

Mariner

Edited reply by MarinerGOLD

More rain here today, and it looks as though we may have another two weeks to come.
Hope to catch up with some listens later!

jazztrumpet

Caught up on my listens.

You better get your bucket fixed quick Terry. So you can catch the rain where the roof leaks.

Cerebraljam

Reply by CerebraljamGOLD

Hi peeps, sorry I'm late in tonight. I'm having quite a few crazy days of intensity... that's all I can call it, LOL.

But... happy to be here now to catch up with our new songs Thank you, Mike & Terry.

Hi Jazzy!

Hope everyone is getting off to a good start to their weekend. Terry, we've had lots and lots of rain up here, in fact, the girls were complaining of being 'cold' today. Icy winds outside.

Jenny

Reply by JennyGOLD

Hellooo ...weather report is nice & sunny here, with what we call 'freezing' overnight ...LOL ridiculous by world standards, we don't ever get icicles or snowflakes in Sydney ...today it's clear blue skies, twittering birds, not a rain cloud in sight, so far Saturday is looking great.

Still waiting for the latest grandchild to emerge from hibernation ...we're on grandson-sitting standby over this weekend, which is Queen's Birthday public holiday weekend ...even tho it's not ER's birthday at all in June ...strange to have a non-birthday birthday weekend isn't it? I'm sure she thinks one birthday a year is quite enough at her age.

Later ...

Cerebraljam

Reply by CerebraljamGOLD

Heheh, I always think the Queen's birthday thing funny - hope you enjoy your weekend all the same, we seemed to have had a lot of fun over here. Johanna was on holiday from school right up till Thursday. Now I'm struggling with the early rises again.

Excited for you, with your waiting game though, hope your daughter is keeping well!

Saturday has started here too, Jenny. All I can say is... it's dark, with the possibility of birds ;D

Cerebraljam

Reply by CerebraljamGOLD

Mornin' all. Yes, there are birds, and children playing and clouds with a speck of blue.

Hope you all had a great night

Whilst we wait in anticipation for MORE songs, (yeah, I still have one to work on) I thought I'd find you a wee diversion:

10 Incredible Time Capsules

Interesting stuff! Hmm. Noted they said about the KEO due to be launched in 2011 so not a very new article... but... Wikipedia has an update on that one!

KEO - 2014?

Jenny

Reply by JennyGOLD

Hi there Janet

Here's another song for the Glory Box.
I'm still very fond of the BeeGees even though all but one of the Brothers Gibb have now departed this life.
Ah well, at least we still have their songs ...& this one I love for the lyrics as much as the poignant melody ...sighhhh

Words
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/be6d60ea2

Cerebraljam

Reply by CerebraljamGOLD

Thank you, Jenny... another song I really love as well.

Just adding one more thing in here, loved this article when it appeared in The Guardian... something we could consider for our own personal time-capsules using the technology and software we have available to us now?

Best No.1 Singles - 60 years - Interactive

I'd love to see what you would put on the list from each decade, and further, maybe you might sing one of these?

- Next