This topic is listed in General Discussion.
It has been viewed 6,178 times and 119 replies have been made.

- Next
Novella

Edited post by NovellaSTAFF +27 +19

Mmm.. Candy!

Let us Judge Your Judging!

If you've ever participated or followed along in a contest, you've heard it before: "What?! If I were a judge, that never would have happened!" or "I would have chosen different finalists!" Well here's your chance!

Audition To Be A Judge In A SingSnap Official Contest!

Wait? What? Audition to be a judge? That's right, you will need to audition. Reason being, we want to make sure that (by our standards at least) you have a good ear for music, can be fair, objective as possible and also that you communicate well!

If you have an interest in judging an Official Contest for SingSnap, please read the requirements below. Once selected, your name will be put into our "Judges Bank" where we will randomly draw names for judges for the Official SingSnap Contests.

Audition Requirements:

1. You must be a SingSnap member (any membership level welcome)
2. You agree to forfeit the opportunity to compete in the contests you are judging, therefore not being eligible for the prize.
3. You must be fair and remain as objective as possible. (Do not favor friends, etc.,)
4. You must be available for the duration of the contest, if selected to judge.
5. You agree to keep all contest related information 100% confidential.
6. You love music, love SingSnap and have an interest in judging and applying scores to performances.
7. You should have a good ear and understanding of musical terminology.
8. You must complete the audition challenge below.

The Audition Challenge:

If you feel you meet the criteria, please complete the following Audition Challenge and send your responses to Novella via Private Message only. If you are selected to be entered into our judging pool, you will be notified via PM. If you do not hear back, then we thank you for your interest and hope you'll still participate in another fashion!

1. Define the following words and how would you judge these areas;

Pitch
Tone
Phrasing
Enunciation

2. How important is emoting in a song, explain.

3. How would you feel if you had to judge a friend who did a less than great performance?

4. If that same friend approached you, asking why they didn't make the cut and for their scores, how would you handle it?

5. Rate yourself, on a scale of 1-10 for vocal ability.

6. On a scoring system of 15, (5 pts per category) rate the following performances based on the criteria listed below; Include the numbers and any side notes to explain your scoring.

Novella - Fancy: http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/af6b147f2
Annie - Enough Of Me: http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/b5a5631ca
MajinThat - Neon Moon: http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/b5afcf4a0
LeeRogers - Remember When It Rained: http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/b761b1736
Sweetcheeks27- Material Girl: http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/bb76c6202

Pitch & Tone - 5 Points: You're looking to see how well the singer stays on key and if you find their voice enjoyable to listen to overall. Does their tone fit the song they chose, is it well suited and how well do they stay on pitch.

Phrasing/Enunciation - 5 Points: You are looking to see how well their phrasing matches the song/music/rhythm. It's okay if they change up the song, but does it still work musically? How in sync are they when they need to be? Are their notes clear and do they end them nicely? Hold them when needed, etc,

Emotional Engagement - 5 Points: Do they sing the song like they mean it. Is it fun, saucy, sad, engaging. Does their voice carry whatever emotion the song should have and do they make YOU feel it.

Judging Example:

Novella - Fancy:

Pitch & Tone - 1/5 (She was pitchy throughout the entire thing. Her voice was too nasally to fit the song. Not strong enough, not enough power.)
Phrasing/Enunciation - 1/5 (Did she even know this song? She slurred the end notes all together and totally missed her cues to sing)
Emotional Engagement - 1/5 (I was bored to tears. This song requires a certain angst, strength, determination and she was barely awake while singing)

In Conclusion:

We want to thank everyone who takes the opportunity to audition! I will tell you in advance we cannot select everyone but we'll get as many people in our judging pool as possible. Our goal is to have a diverse group of judges with different tastes. With that said, we want to make sure our judging panels are on the same page as the site, as they will be representative of us as a whole. If you are chosen to be in the judging pool, it may take awhile before you're called upon to judge. Please be patient and good luck!

There is also a possibility we may not go this route, depending on the outcome but we're giving it a shot! Thanks for your interest

Thanks Everyone & Happy Singing!

KellyAnne4Peace

Reply by KellyAnne4PeacePATRON +1 +1

Good for you!! Judges that actually meet a criteria! Too bad all contests aren't run like that... It always is disheartening when you have a judge that can't sing.

Princess-Junne

Edited reply by Princess-JunneGOLD

How wonderful!! I'd really like to give this a shot! Be back soon!

Novella

Reply by NovellaSTAFF +27 +19

Mmm.. Candy!

Well there are people who know they're not the best singers but they still have a good ear as to what does sound good. =)

---

Cool June, look forward to it!

flatduck

Reply by flatduck +1

i think i fail the judge audition since i can t sing either..............but i think it s a great idea

JulieWood

Reply by JulieWoodPATRON

Oh I am definitely "auditioning"! I love judging and I'm gonna toot my own horn and say I'm pretty fair... But I guess YOU will be the judge of that... LOL.

JohnnyAngel

Reply by JohnnyAngelGOLD +1

This is a SUPER idea!!! Totally love you.. YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!!

JulieWood

Reply by JulieWoodPATRON

When are our "auditions" due?

jamminjoe

Reply by jamminjoeGOLD

This is really nice, it gives the members an opportunity to be considered for the judging team. I for one had wondered how the judges were selected, I thought maybe they were just well known to the staff. This idea seems really fair to me. I am sure this will not be exempt for it's share of SS drama, but I hope it will be adopted. Great concept!

Joe

Novella

Mmm.. Candy!

When are our "auditions" due?DollDuffer

It's ongoing really. We are having another contest Mid-July though, so if you wanted to be considered for that one, get your audition in prior to that. But this will be an on-going thing since we hope to keep doing this sort of thing =)

Novella

Mmm.. Candy!

This is really nice, it gives the members an opportunity to be considered for the judging team. I for one had wondered how the judges were selected, I thought maybe they were just well known to the staff. This idea seems really fair to me. I am sure this will not be exempt for it's share of SS drama, but I hope it will be adopted. Great concept!

Joejamminjoe

The previous judges in Duet For Dollars, were the first time we had non-staff judge. The events team and a couple staffers usually does the auditions, just because of the mass volume. Last contest, our Invited Panel were all invited because they had won prizes from one of our other 3 contests. lol So they were 'known' to us but only in the sense that they've done well in our contests in the past and knew what to expect.

We hope some other winners and past participants will also sign up!

Sssjim7

Reply by Sssjim7GOLD +3

Hrm... so if you audition and get picked to judge... and then someone sends you a nasty e-mail... can you slam them back? There is no way I could just sit back and take all the abuse you judges have to go through without dishing some back at them...

I admire all the judges for all the contests on here... it really seems like a thankless job most of the time. Thank goodness they have the hearts and constitution to run them, because I really enjoy them!

Best of luck finding your judges!
~Jim

Mytrueself

Reply by MytrueselfGOLD

This is a wonderful idea...thanks for giving us all a chance on this.

hsingimonkey

Reply by hsingimonkeyPATRON

This seems to require a lot more of a response than messaging allows. What's the way to send an attachment? or do we email a word file?

Jack

Uncle-Pauley

Reply by Uncle-PauleyCHAT-ADMIN +2

Visit The SingSnap Zoo Challenge

I So Totally Love this Idea....Expect to hear from me!

Novella

Mmm.. Candy!

This seems to require a lot more of a response than messaging allows. What's the way to send an attachment? or do we email a word file?

Jackhsingimonkey

There should be enough character space but if not, you can email them to me at: shannon@singsnap.com

DebraDuncan

Reply by DebraDuncanGOLD +1

sounds interesting! flagging

tillyss

Reply by tillyssGOLD +3

I think this is wonderful!!!!

johnroystonford

Reply by johnroystonfordPATRON

Poppy's romance club where everyone wins forum/topic/ac12bfb6

flagging

sweetdawako

Reply by sweetdawakoGOLD

Week 2 entry~r/b5a26b117

this is a great idea guys . . at least this time it will be fair . .rather than( its not how you perform but who you know) . . well sad to say this is how some of the judging goes here . . lol

twhit

Reply by twhitGOLD

gonna try this....

SWEETIEONE

Reply by SWEETIEONEGOLD

Life is a lesson.....it's a series of adjustments

flagging!

Princess-Junne

Reply by Princess-JunneGOLD

DONE!!! whew! That was fun... =)

WildcatKevin

Reply by WildcatKevinPATRON +2 +2

Love this, great Idea!!

tree1

Reply by tree1GOLD

am just to busy to try out for a judge,am a caretaker for some people.good luck to those who are pick for a judge. congs to (Tommy & Klynne2) clap.clap.well done...

Sparrow5

Reply by Sparrow5GOLD

FLAGGING

Sparrow5

Reply by Sparrow5GOLD

GONNA TRY

Princess-Junne

Reply by Princess-JunneGOLD

Will the judges have a "coveted nickname" too? LOL Just kidding. But what a cool idea to have when they're a judging! Just a thought!

LilKitty

Reply by LilKittyGOLD

Can you feel it 2 rnd 3!

Ok...gave it a try!

Sparrow5

Reply by Sparrow5GOLD

1. pitch staying in tune
tone: hearing themselves
phrasing: theirs voice with the music in sync
enuncitation: being on pitch sing right

2.enoting: emotional singing with your heart
3.be honest tell the truth
4.don't tell them
5.7 vocal ability

Sparrow5

Reply by Sparrow5GOLD

flagging auditioning for judge

Novella

Edited reply by NovellaSTAFF +27 +19

Mmm.. Candy!

Sparrow,

Please read the instructions carefully. You need to answer it fully and send it via PM.

---

Side Note:
We've had quite a bit of interest thus far, so thanks everyone! Remember to be honest and don't be scared but this is also a karaoke site, so no need to be uber harsh either. Just judge it how you feel it should be judged!

flatduck

Reply by flatduck +1

if a person get s selected for the judging pool are we still allowed to refuse when being ask to judge and pull our name out ...or this is consider a commitment to full fill the judge duty

flatduck

Reply by flatduck +1

next ?the pm are send to you but is there anybody else who will be reading them and be involve in decision ? or selection

OrKo6

Reply by OrKo6GOLD

Flagging

Novella

Mmm.. Candy!

if a person get s selected for the judging pool are we still allowed to refuse when being ask to judge and pull our name out ...or this is consider a commitment to full fill the judge dutyflatduck

We hope you'll honour the commitment if you're available and not interested in competing.

Novella

Mmm.. Candy!

next ?the pm are send to you but is there anybody else who will be reading them and be involve in decision ? or selectionflatduck

Staff.

linic99

Reply by linic99GOLD

Flagging

JulieWood

Reply by JulieWoodPATRON

I'm waiting to se what the contest coming up is all about... may want to join that one (if the deadline for whatever type of submission is after the 20th)... but I would really love to judge as well... hmmmm.... glad this is an ongoing process. :o)

JCD

Reply by JCDGOLD

Leerogers and sandra are in canada and we are having a wonderful time!

next ?the pm are send to you but is there anybody else who will be reading them and be involve in decision ? or selectionflatduck

Staff.Novella

Will there be an Audition For Judges to select from the Audition for Judges? LOL

sassygal31639

Reply by sassygal31639GOLD

well i have ran alot of contests on here that ARE always FAIR to the judges and the contestants. I have a great ear for judging and I love singing I'm not the best but I do sound good when I truly try. I have done the audition so lets see?

sassygal31639

Edited reply by sassygal31639GOLD

wait WHY THE HECK am I snap-star I MEAN I LOVE IT but how did I get it?

flatduck

Reply by flatduck +1

Staff.Novella

Will there be an Audition For Judges to select from the Audition for Judges? LOLJCD

i think Andrew would be the best judge they could ever had on ss i ll vote for him anytime

flatduck

Reply by flatduck +1

Don t know why Andrew didn t enter the duets contest he would had won first place

JayBeePlayer

Reply by JayBeePlayer

Fantastic sing and video. You nailed this song perfectly. You had the attitude and the look to perfection to go with the mood and lyrics of the song. Pitch is perfect thruout the whole song and your phrasing made the song all yours. Loved hearing this song again. It has been a long time and I wasnt sure I knew it at all til you began singing, then the memory came rolling back. Great performance, Novella. Good Luck

Jules

Reply by JulesSPECIAL-EVENTS +5 +1

wait WHY THE HECK am I snap-star I MEAN I LOVE IT but how did I get it? sassygal31639

Anyone who completed all 5 weeks of Summerfest is a Snapstar for the month of July

Jules

Reply by JulesSPECIAL-EVENTS +5 +1

For those auditioning, please remember to complete all 6 parts of the audition challenge and send the details back to Novella via PM or via email to shannon@singsnap.com if your response is too large for PM.

Thanks!

JCD

Reply by JCDGOLD

Leerogers and sandra are in canada and we are having a wonderful time!

Staff.Novella

Will there be an Audition For Judges to select from the Audition for Judges? LOLJCD

i think Andrew would be the best judge they could ever had on ss i ll vote for him anytimeflatduck

LilKitty

Reply by LilKittyGOLD

Can you feel it 2 rnd 3!

Staff.Novella

i think Andrew would be the best judge they could ever had on ss i ll vote for him anytimeflatduck

JCD

I SEEN HER LIPS MOVING NOVELLA!!! LOL!

jes' kiddin'!!

Mr_Ada

Reply by Mr_AdaGOLD +2 +1

This is perfect for me as I don't like to compete in the contests!

I sent my response via PM.

Chris

Bcmvf

Reply by BcmvfGOLD +1

"Can you Feel it 2 contest song Round 3"

Would have really liked to give this a try...
wish we could have just judged 5 people at random tho..
and handed in our thoughts anonymously..I feel it would
have been a more honest test.. I'm not telling any of you
5 that you suck..lmaooo Guess I'm not a good canidate
good idea? bad idea? Have a good day all

- Next