This topic is listed in Vocal Help, Tips & Critique.
It has been viewed 2,549 times and 105 replies have been made.

- Next
Cinderella80

Post by Cinderella80GOLD

Do you want a brutally honest opinion regarding your song recording? Or just a recommendation on a song choice? Maybe some tips n tricks on how you can finesse your vocals? Well, then just post your song link in this thread! I'll tell it like it is!

judas_preistess

Reply by judas_preistessGOLD

Oh, I will go first !!!!!!! Can you give me your opinion on how I can improve and suggest a song choice ?????? http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/beb8c348e

CJF82

Reply by CJF82GOLD

Ok I have one for you to listen to!!!!!
When I recorded this one I had continuous trouble with the last line before the chorus "It helps to think we're sleeping under the same big sky". What am I doing wrong here? Am I just not in time or am I singing in the wrong key/notes? How is my pitch on this song? I worry that I am pitchy? Any feedback is welcome. I want to rerecord this one sometime and fix the problems I have with it. Also I struggle with harmonizing so any tips there are welcome too! Thanks for your advice! ~Chavvah

Somewhere Out There
By:Linda Ronstadt & James Ingram
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/be712bf36

Cinderella80

Reply by Cinderella80GOLD

Oh, I will go first !!!!!!! Can you give me your opinion on how I can improve and suggest a song choice ?????? http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/beb8c348ejudas_preistess

Hey judas_preistess,

I have to admit, I havent heard this song, prior to your song submission.
So before I even listened to your rendition I listened to about 10 other covers of this tune, to kinda get a feel for it. It definitely has a rock/blues vibe to it, so I was looking for the same vibe when I listened to your cover of this song.
Overall, I did enjoy your performance... you have the rock sound part down pat. Here is what I would change if you decide to finesse this song a bit.

1.) This is a gender-bender song, but it doesnt have to be. Instead of "Woman" say "Man"...instead of "she".."he" etc.. it makes it more believable that way.

2.) I noticed that in some parts of the songs you added a few runs, and your voice becomes shaky. Instead of doing a run, just hold the note steady. This will cover up a lot of little run mistakes. "Money" in the beginning... you can really tell a bit of a shake in your voice, like you were not sure where to take the note.
3.) "Sometimes I feel" Your emphasis shouldn't be on the "Sometimes" part, but on the "feel" part. So instead of starting the rocker growl on "Sometimes"... add it to "feel". It would have more of an impact that way, and evoke more emotion that way.
4.) There are a few songs on this site that I feel sound better if sung without echo. This would be one of them. A lot of singers don't realize that the "Make me sound better" button can actually make you sound worse sometimes. To much echo, and the vox can become really pitchy sounding.
5.) I've listened to a few of your recordings, and your vocal to music mix seems to be a bit off sometimes. I would just turn down the vocals a little so they will blend with the music better. Again, that will cover up some minor mistakes as well.
6.) Hold notes longer at the end of the verses. You don't wanna hold them to long, but chopping them off too soon has a negative effect. No runs.. just a fade out.
7.)"God Lord I feel like I'm dying" in the end was awesome. You held the note ong enough, and there was no shakiness in your voice.

After listening to a few of your songs, I feel that this particular song doesn't showcase your vocal ability. It's okay to step out of your comfortzone and sing new songs. Maybe even songs you've never heard. It's okay to sound goofy at times experimenting with your voice a bit. Never hold back! Thats the main part. Always belt it out. OWN IT! Make every song yours. Like you wrote it. After about 3 tries of the same song... STOP... and move to a different tune. Even if its just for that day... and come back to that song later. I found that if I sing the same song more than 3 times in a row, I totally lose feel for it. Even if I LOVE the song. Usually the first attempt was the best.

As far as recommendations for your voice... I'd like to hear some Paramore from you. I think you could totally OWN one of their songs.
Put your own spin on it!

Hope all this helps!

-Cindy

WallyGB

Reply by WallyGBGOLD

Wow you really get deep.Thanks so much for your time.
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/watchandlisten/play/b3b781cd2

Cinderella80

Ok I have one for you to listen to!!!!!
When I recorded this one I had continuous trouble with the last line before the chorus "It helps to think we're sleeping under the same big sky". What am I doing wrong here? Am I just not in time or am I singing in the wrong key/notes? How is my pitch on this song? I worry that I am pitchy? Any feedback is welcome. I want to rerecord this one sometime and fix the problems I have with it. Also I struggle with harmonizing so any tips there are welcome too! Thanks for your advice! ~Chavvah

Somewhere Out There
By:Linda Ronstadt & James Ingram
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/be712bf36CJF82

Hey Chavvah,

At first I thought that that particular song may be out of your vocal range. But then you belted out the really steady, louder high notes. I've noticed when you push through the higher notes, singing them louder you can hold the note and you're not shaky at all. Quite impressive on some of the high notes. When you sing it a bit softer you having problems holding some notes tho, which indicates that its your breathing. You're not pushing enough air through your vocal cords when you sing soft, and it causes them to break, making that shaky sound. Keep the same dynamic you have when you are singing the louder higher notes when you sing those softer ones. Try exhaling more while singing those higher soft notes, instead of trying to conserve your breath. Use your diaphragm. Your throat should never hurt when you sing. If this occurs you're breathing wrong. See if that makes a difference. Overall, I really enjoyed my listen.
As far as Harmonies, (You're talking about duets or harmonies in general?) timing is really everything. I personally dont sing very many duets, and if I do, I just try to compliment my duet partner. I generally prefer to sing my part of the duet first, that way the harmonizing is all up to him/her. When I self harmonize, I usually just pick a few parts of the song that need to sound bolder and richer and then just record the exact same track on it, with maybe two or three variations, but for the most part i stay true to the melody. It can definitely make a difference. I'll use the "Make me sound better" on one track, and then on the 2nd track for the harmony I don't chose the echo. You can really overdo the "Madison Square Garden Echo" (MMSB button).
Main thing is to always sing from the heart. Everyone wold agree that you'd rather listen to a person singing from his/her heart with occassional mishaps or techinical mistakes, than to someone that hits every note perfectly, but there is just no emotion. Be bold, be brave... and never hold back.

-Cindy

GiaM

Reply by GiaM

Sorry I have been away. I will be back in a few weeks. Things are fine. Thanks for asking. <3

This reply has been moderated due to violation of forums rules or Terms of Service.

CJF82

Reply by CJF82GOLD

Thanks Cindy for all the tips you have been posting on here! It is wonderful to get feedback and ideas of on how to improve! Thank you for taking the time to critique my song! I will definitely work on improving my breathing control the next time I sing!!!!! (((Hugs))) Chavvah

judas_preistess

Reply by judas_preistessGOLD

Thanks Cindy, I really appreciate your input. I will keep practicing. I will turn the vocals down too.

Cinderella80

You're welcome!

Cinderella80

Wow you really get deep.Thanks so much for your time.
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/watchandlisten/play/b3b781cd2WallyGB

Hey Wally,

Your voice is definitely unique. I do hear a few pitchy notes here and there, but its nothing that cannot be corrected. The vocal to music volume ratio is on point. Timing is great. Just watch the end of the sentences, where the pitchiness tends to occur. (And this is for most of us.. I think it may be because we're running out of breath and our breathing changes a bit trying to conserve, or squeezing out that last note, before we take another breath to sing our next sentence. I really enjoyed my listen. I stopped by your studio and listened to "All we need is love" by the Beatles. Again, unique voice, just watch your pitch.

sabathiel

Edited reply by sabathielGOLD

Here is one of mine to be critiqued.....I think acoustic laid back ballad style suits me great although I do many different genres such as rock, country, r n b, pop, punk rock, alternative rock, swing jazz, etc. The hardest genre is probably hard rock the belting part where I often cannot go high enough or strain the high notes (occasionally I might get lucky and hit the note cleanly and my voice doesn't crack). I also struggle with black R n B kinda music because of the vocal gymnastics.

Be as petty as you want to be. I don't mind.

"The One That Got Away" (Katy Perry song, Boyce Avenue acoustic version)

Silky-Smooth

Reply by Silky-SmoothGOLD

I would like for my song to be Critque please
Thank you

Unbreakable Heart - Jessica Andrews
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/bebc3ad12

Cinderella80

Here is one of mine to be critiqued.....I think acoustic laid back ballad style suits me great although I do many different genres such as rock, country, r n b, pop, punk rock, alternative rock, swing jazz, etc. The hardest genre is probably hard rock the belting part where I often cannot go high enough or strain the high notes (occasionally I might get lucky and hit the note cleanly and my voice doesn't crack). I also struggle with black R n B kinda music because of the vocal gymnastics.

Be as petty as you want to be. I don't mind.

"The One That Got Away" (Katy Perry song, Boyce Avenue acoustic version)

sabathiel

Sabathiel,

This was great! I definitely enjoyed my listen. Great tonal quality! I'm impressed!

One tip, I would suggest for you, is to RELAX when you sing! Don't strain. The more loosened up you are, the better chance of hitting those higher notes. Don't force those notes. At times it seemed like you were strainin' a bit.

Rhythm and Blues is hard to sing, I agree. But you don't have to sound like Luther Vandross or Brian McKnight to sound good. Just be yourself. Re-invent the song, staying true to the melody. But where ever there is a note you can't really hit or a a run of enormous proportions, just take that particular note to a different level. Its okay to deviate a bit from the orginal to make it suit your voice. I would love to hear you sing some Yellowcard. "Only One" or Aqualung's "Brighter than Sunshine" Stay relaxed. Keep your shoulders down! Like my vocal coach told me many years ago:" Don't breathe with your shoulders!", as he was pushing them down. Just Relax. Thats really the only thing I would work on. This will also help you to belt out those Rocker notes.. (although, I don't think you need it..) The belting sound never will hurt your throat. If your throat hurts after a belt, you're doing it wrong. Again, it's all in the breathing. Just using your diaphragm. Focusing your vocals more on the chest and abdomen, versus the throat. Hope this answers some of your questions.

-Cindy

Cinderella80

I would like for my song to be Critque please
Thank you

Unbreakable Heart - Jessica Andrews
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/bebc3ad12
Silky-Smooth

Silky-Smooth,

Are you kiddin' me? You could teach me a thing or two!!! This was amazing! I was really trying to nit-pick your song apart, but I'd feel like a hypocrite, because there is nothing to critique, other than KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!! Thanks for sharing your amazing talent! Perfect song choice for your voice!

sabathiel

Edited reply by sabathielGOLD

Sabathiel,

This was great! I definitely enjoyed my listen. Great tonal quality! I'm impressed!

One tip, I would suggest for you, is to RELAX when you sing! Don't strain. The more loosened up you are, the better chance of hitting those higher notes. Don't force those notes. At times it seemed like you were strainin' a bit.

Stay relaxed. Keep your shoulders down! ....Just Relax. Thats really the only thing I would work on. This will also help you to belt out those Rocker notes.. (although, I don't think you need it..) The belting sound never will hurt your throat. If your throat hurts after a belt, you're doing it wrong. Again, it's all in the breathing. Just using your diaphragm. Focusing your vocals more on the chest and abdomen, versus the throat.
-CindyCinderella80

That's what 2 vocal coaches have told me. That I was too tensed and not relax enough but then I might be a naturally tensed person. I am not very flexible with my body parts. So maybe I can do exercises to relax and become more loose. I have had like 3 vocal lessons in my entire life. And when I recorded this song I have only had 2. I realise a long time ago that the power for my singing comes from the tummy area which becomes hard as the notes get higher. Then I read posts around this forum about the diaphragm and then I knew I was doing it right. I never ever sing from the throat so my throat never gets sore so again I am doing something right. I get my vocal knowledge mainly online from Youtube videos and posts on this message boards. I often submit my songs to be critiqued around here from different people so I can get different opinions and different points of views and then I make up my own mind which ones to take on board. Your opinion is pretty much what I have heard from the 2 vocal coaches I have met. So I guess you are spot on with the problem since you are also well learned in this area having taken vocal lessons yourself. At the moment I am improving on breathing but I found out that I am breathing from my mouth mostly when singing because I can get more air from the mouth than from the nose. Also when singing I don't take too much air in because if I do the studio mic picks up the breathing on the recording so I basically just try to get enough to sustain the notes coming before I breath again. My goal is to extend my vocal range and to avoid any signs of strain in the vocals. Any tips to do this? What do you mean when you say:

"This will also help you to belt out those Rocker notes.. (although, I don't think you need it..)"

What don't I need? I'm not quite clear on the above sentence. At the moment I am trying to be a more relax person and not too tense because I know singing involves manipulating the muscles in the body to get the maximum potential from your vocals. Here is a rock belting song for you to critique, which is more challenging to sing. Another person on this board said this song suits me perfect and gave me a 10 out of 10. What is your view on this song for a second opinion? This song also has a different tone to the acoustic ballad which I think is necessary for its execution. I don't know about you but I am not pleased with one note in this song which I thought was off. The note is a falsetto which is sung twice in the last chorus. The first note is different from the second note because I think the first time I hit it it was off key:

"Ship Of Fools" (World Party)

socomicefox

Reply by socomicefoxSNAP-STAR

Happy Birthday week to Singsnap!!! Have awesome week Singsnappers!!

maryann

Reply by maryannGOLD

Cinderella80

"This will also help you to belt out those Rocker notes.. (although, I don't think you need it..)"

What don't I need? I'm not quite clear on the above sentence. At the moment I am trying to be a more relax person and not too tense because I know singing involves manipulating the muscles in the body to get the maximum potential from your vocals. Here is a rock belting song for you to critique, which is more challenging to sing. Another person on this board said this song suits me perfect and gave me a 10 out of 10. What is your view on this song for a second opinion? This song also has a different tone to the acoustic ballad which I think is necessary for its execution. I don't know about you but I am not pleased with one note in this song which I thought was off. The note is a falsetto which is sung twice in the last chorus. The first note is different from the second note because I think the first time I hit it it was off key:

"Ship Of Fools" (World Party)

Cinderella80

Sabathiel,

What I meant by "This will help you to belt out those Rocker notes" is that relaxing will help you achieve it. But also keep in mind, you dont have to sound like a Rocker to sing a Rock song. Take the singer from "Queensryche" for instance. He's a Rocksinger... and he doesnt "growl", but it still sounds good. Your voice is perfect the way it is. You don't need to change it at all.
The song "Ship of Fools" sounds great! I really enjoyed it! Again, relax. I think if you can do that, you'll achieve the sound you are looking for!

Cinderella80

Here you go Cinderella80

http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/watchandlisten/play/bf891f274socomicefox

Great from Beginning to Finish. The only gripe I have is that you seemed a little lost at the " I know, I know, I know..." part, it seems... But overall great timing, great pitch, and AMAZING Tonal Quality!

Cinderella80

here u go
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/bd9f357e6maryann

Maryann,

I am not familiar with this song, at all. I'm not a huge country music buff.
So, give me a moment to get familiarized with this song, so I can give you a better critique on it.

Thank you for your patience.

kindhartdman

Reply by kindhartdmanGOLD

I'd like to know what I need to improve please.

http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/ae7c30c96

Crooner1

Reply by Crooner1

I could use a little asvise! I just sing from the heart and don't worry much about anything else?

http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/b88f9467a

JJ-2CLOSE

Reply by JJ-2CLOSEGOLD

http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/b5783b332

please give me any input you can on what i do ... far from the best but i will do what ever you suggest thank you hugs josie

rjuncker

Reply by rjuncker

I am a truck driver and while driving down the road one day I was singing Kitty Wells song, "It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels" then God decided he wanted me to sing something different and behold I started writing and this is the words I was told in my head to write, please take a listen and let me know what you all think.
Thank You all for your suggestions and criticisms in advance

http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/b49115d42

Hiker143BD

Reply by Hiker143BDGOLD

Hi! I recorded this song for the first round of a contest and the bottom 20 out of 100 were eliminated. Needless to say I was booted. Maybe I just don't hear what the judges were hearing or not hearing. Would you please tell me honestly what is wrong with it so I can do better the next time. I'm really discouraged.

http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/bab7de622

deanocal20

Reply by deanocal20GOLD

hi,, just started playing at singing and would love your opinion on my voice and what sort of song choices would suit me.. Ive recoreded an amazing Garth Brooks song and hope i havnt ruined it, lol
Thanks Dean

http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/b7ae9f522

NightinGal

Reply by NightinGalGOLD

Hi Cinderella..I really would like to know how to improve...Been on sing snap 4 years now..always been around Music but never sung on my own before....I know I've got better by just practicing on my own which tells me nothing...Please give me some Criticism & advise really need & want it..Netta

http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/b3b56bb84

Cinderella80

I'd like to know what I need to improve please.

http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/ae7c30c96kindhartdman

Sorry I havent been on here in a while. I've been busy with contests. But I listened to your entry, and I don't think there is anything major that needs improvement. You're definitely on the right track. Great Performance!

Cinderella80

I could use a little asvise! I just sing from the heart and don't worry much about anything else?

http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/b88f9467aCROONER2

The link you've provided above appears to be broken. :/

Cinderella80

http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/b5783b332

please give me any input you can on what i do ... far from the best but i will do what ever you suggest thank you hugs josiejc9-kk

First off, this was a great song choice for you. I really enjoyed it a lot. What I found is that your timing was off a bit. It could be the because of the recorder when it mixes the song after you recorded it. The sound could also be a lot clearer, by just turning down the recording volume on your mic, or even just on the recorder settings on SingSnap. I'd suggest that a good recording volume is about 1/6- 1/4 up from the lowest setting, for optimum volume. Once you're finished recording and you got to review your recording before you save it, you can always move the lever to the right to make your vocals more prominent, or to the left to make the music more prominent. The mixer will automatically add a bit more volume to your voice once you save it, especially if you use the MMSB Button. Soo a bit less prominent on the vocals than desired is optimal when you are reviewing your recording.

Cinderella80

I am a truck driver and while driving down the road one day I was singing Kitty Wells song, "It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels" then God decided he wanted me to sing something different and behold I started writing and this is the words I was told in my head to write, please take a listen and let me know what you all think.
Thank You all for your suggestions and criticisms in advance

http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/b49115d42rjuncker

Singing and Driving? Sounds dangerous! But yes, other than some minor recording issues such as volume balance between the vocals and melody, I don't hear any major flaws. If you happen to record when you are NOT driving, make sure to wear headphones, since this eliminates any feedback sound and distortion in the recording. Overall, great sing tho! Thank you.

Cinderella80

Hi! I recorded this song for the first round of a contest and the bottom 20 out of 100 were eliminated. Needless to say I was booted. Maybe I just don't hear what the judges were hearing or not hearing. Would you please tell me honestly what is wrong with it so I can do better the next time. I'm really discouraged.

http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/bab7de622Hiker143BD

Sorry to hear that you've got booted. Honestly, when it comes to contest the reason for getting eliminated could be as simple as song choice. I have the feeling that may have been the case in your situation. I personally never heard the song, and although your vocals sounded great, you have to even sing with more emotion and conviction to convey the song that's unfamiliar to the listener. The listener basically has to " fall in love" with the song and your performance, compared to a song that the listener already knows. When it comes to contests, its always a good idea to browse the judges song library to see what style of music speaks to them. We all have our favorite genres. (Rock, Pop, Country... etc) and we also have some genres we're not too familiar with. Just find a middle ground between the songs you really enjoy, and a song or even just the genre that the judge enjoys. Also read the rules carefully in a contest and find out exactly what the judges look for in their performances. I really liked your performance. But I have to admit, you didn't sell me on your song. It may have been the wrong song for you as well. Again, its all about song choice. Hope that helps!

Cinderella80

hi,, just started playing at singing and would love your opinion on my voice and what sort of song choices would suit me.. Ive recoreded an amazing Garth Brooks song and hope i havnt ruined it, lol
Thanks Dean

http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/b7ae9f522deanocal20

Hey Dean,

There were some flat notes in your performance. I noticed that you're not wearing headphones when you sing. Recording a song can be really difficult without headphones. I'll quickly tell you the benefits of wearing headphones...

1.) It will eliminate any distortion in your recording.
2.) When you sing you can actually get instant feedback on how you sound along side with the song, and adjust your pitch and volume to hit the right note.

Using headphones does take a while to get used to, but once you do, its a great tool. All professional recording artists use them. You dont have to wear them in or on both ears is you like, but it definitely helps you stay in synch with the melody. pitch, timing and volume of the song. Hope that helps

Cinderella80

Edited reply by Cinderella80GOLD

Hi Cinderella..I really would like to know how to improve...Been on sing snap 4 years now..always been around Music but never sung on my own before....I know I've got better by just practicing on my own which tells me nothing...Please give me some Criticism & advise really need & want it..Netta

http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/b3b56bb84NightinGal

Hey Netta,

I think overall you sounded great. I did notice that you were a bit off key at times, especially in the chorus. It could possibly be because you werent to familiar with the song, and weren't sure where to take a note? Everything else such as timing, sounded on point. I think you're on the right track. If you have a love for music, you can't go wrong with singing. I don't mean just a song a week, but maybe 3-4 songs a day. I think maybe 2-3 more takes on that particular song, and you would have nailed it. In my opinion.

Aper8

Reply by Aper8GOLD

Hello Cindy,

By reading your post, you definetly let people know more about there vocal skills...I always love constructive criticism.... I love singing and competed in a few contests... I haven't made it through as a winner...I struggle with Song Choice and knowing my vocal range... Help a sister out! Lots of people say I sound beautiful... but I am not convincing the judges in the contest of the same.... I don't own any special microphones so all my recordings are done with just the labtop standard mic build in.... by the way... I tend to sing lots of Country music...

Open for suggestions on whatever you feel like telling me...Here is a song that I love to sing.... but never have done live cause I am scared to choke...
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/b77d2823e
Thanks for your time..

SMiles
APer8

chromaticdave

Reply by chromaticdave

chromaticdave

Reply by chromaticdave

Gman75

Reply by Gman75GOLD

Music therapy works!!!!

Would like your opinion on this:
Ides of March
Vehicle

http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/c4b04eee2

2Jay

Reply by 2Jay

Hi This is one of my favorite sings
What do you think I can do to improve
Your Man
http:singsnap.com/karaoke/r/ad7c31268
Thanks Jay

2Jay

Reply by 2Jay

oops I left out the // try
http://singsnap.com/karaoke/r/ad7c31268

Cinderella80

Hello Cindy,

By reading your post, you definetly let people know more about there vocal skills...I always love constructive criticism.... I love singing and competed in a few contests... I haven't made it through as a winner...I struggle with Song Choice and knowing my vocal range... Help a sister out! Lots of people say I sound beautiful... but I am not convincing the judges in the contest of the same.... I don't own any special microphones so all my recordings are done with just the labtop standard mic build in.... by the way... I tend to sing lots of Country music...

Open for suggestions on whatever you feel like telling me...Here is a song that I love to sing.... but never have done live cause I am scared to choke...
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/b77d2823e
Thanks for your time..

SMiles
APer8Aper8

Hello APer8,

First of all, Song Choice is sooo important. In a contest, find out exactly what the judges are asking for. I've been in contests where people enter Beatles songs in Heavy Metal Contests. Obviously those performers, although they had amazing voices, didn't win. Also, you want to pick a song that the judge may know.

The first thing to do, before entering ANY contest is to listen to some of the judge's songs. Get your inspiration from them. (good or bad..lol) Sing a few of their songs. Find out which one best suits your voice. Which songs could you sing even better? You don't have to sing the exact same songs, but just be aware of the genres that they are familiar with. From their list of songs pick a few that you like as well, and sing them. I don't mean only once or twice, but any song that is entered into a contest should be recorded a few times (mine are usually 50 plus takes, before I finally find one that I really like). Second most important step to a recording is... LISTEN TO IT. Is the music and your vocal volume ratio in synch? Is the rhythm on point? After you saved it, listen to it again. Usually the vocals will save a tad bit louder than they show in the "Review your recording" window, especially if you're using the MMSB (Make Me Sound Better Button).

I listened to your recording, and the volume for the vocals and music was off. Almost to the point to where I wanted to stop listening. I know you said you're using a laptop mic... but a Rockband mic for a PS3 which has a USB cable that plugs directly into your USB port into your laptop is $20 at Best Buy or Game Stop, and will make a HUGE difference. Also wear headphones as you sing, to reduce the distortion and background noise. When you hear recording that sound like they were recorded in a studio, its probably because they used headphones and a external mic. No need to go all out and spend 500 bucks or more on a condenser mic. Implement these simple steps, and I am pretty confident you'll place in some of these SingSnap contests, because vocally I don't hear any major faults. You have a great voice, and I just gave you the tools to help you prove this to others, mainly people whom have never heard you sing before and are judging your song entries in their contest.

Cinderella80

http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/af60d9268 you raise me up chromaticdave

Hey Dave!

Ok, well you have it all.... harmonica and pipes Here's the deal, imagine yourself listening to the radio, and your favorite song is coming in kinda fuzzy and distorted. It makes it a bit tough to listen to, right? Again, a simple technical fix. Wear headphones when you record your songs, that way we all can enjoy your voice and harmonica playing, instead of the backround noise and annoying feedback. I see you have a nice condenser mic, just complete your equipment with some monitor capable headphones. I know it takes a while getting used to, but its soo worth it, being able to hear yourself sing as you record, and making your recordings sound more pro. I am getting a AM quality recording here. Recording quality is just as important as song choice. It doesnt matter if you're Tony Bennett or Frank Sinatra feedback or distortion in the background is gonna take away from the overall performance. I hope this helps.

Cinderella80

Would like your opinion on this:
Ides of March
Vehicle

http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/c4b04eee2Gman75

First of all, I am delighted to hear that your recording from a technical aspect sounds clean. No distortion... no feedback, no background noise. Yess, thank you!
As I pointed out earlier to other people on this thread, recording quality is sooo important. I've never heard this song before, but I absolutely loved your performance. You've sold me on both the song and your performance. Bravo!

Cinderella80

oops I left out the // try
http://singsnap.com/karaoke/r/ad7c312682Jay

Hello 2Jay,

I listened to your song, and I noticed that the volume ratio between vocals and music was off. When you go and review your song after you recorded it (before you save it) there is a lever one side says vocals and one side says music. By default it is set right in the middle. Move the lever a bit to the right, making a vocals less dominant than the music. I really enjoyed listening to your lower notes! I also noticed that your timing was a bit off during the bridge part. It could be because you may not be as familiar with that part of the song? Try memorizing the song, that way you dont have to read off the lyrics and you can just sing it as you remember it from the original, instead of relying on the highlighting of the lyrics for your cues to sing the words. But overall, a very nice performance! Thank you.

flatduck

Reply by flatduck

well i listen to the previous one and you only get the easy one so i ll post a real bad one http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/c2a1f59e2

Cinderella80

well i listen to the previous one and you only get the easy one so i ll post a real bad one http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/c2a1f59e2flatduck

I noticed that the time on your recording is showing 12:00AM exactly, which usually means that you've deleted this song in the past, but then recycled it from the recycle bin. I've listened to some of your other recording as well. I noticed on a lot of them you have commented in a negative way. Granted, you're not Bryan Adams, but then again, no one is. I would have liked to have you sing the song with a little bit more conviction and emotion. It sounds like for the most part you're familiar with this song, but at times I felt like I was in a Karaoke bar, and your performance was a bit like background noise. You have great pitch, so there is no reason to feel as if you're not able to sing this song and "wow" everyone. There are some minor faults in your breathing, but I think the main focus should be on emotion. The performance was very monotone, in my opinion. Everything else to make a good singer is there tho. Be confident in your performances.

flatduck

Reply by flatduck

i sure appreciate the precious time you took for listening ..........i know i dump close to one hundred not to long ago .........that s what happen when your a blue member .......you sing and delete and sing and delete......... big thank you

ambra_a

Edited reply by ambra_a

Hi Cindy!

Please let me know what you think of this recording. I'm very open for any tips and criticism as I'm vocally stuck in a place where I don't know how to evolve anymore....

Thank you for your time!

http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/watchandlisten/play/ab61a849c

MysticStar_2012

Reply by MysticStar_2012

I am new here and I don't have a mic yet, or any special equipment, or access to the voice enhancments with the gold membership ( I noticed that it makes the voice sound much better) but all I have is a basic membership and my laptop and my RAW voice. However, if I decide to go with the gold membership with all the extras, then I will be glad to have your critique as well as others because then, it will be on a more "even" playing field, I just joined the other day, but so far, I like it

- Next