I Hate My Voice But Love to Sing

This topic is listed in Singing & Songwriting Tips. It has been viewed 307 times and 3 replies have been made.

DianesMelody44LEVEL 31

Post by DianesMelody44

I sound good singing a long, but on tape, I sound like a squelching mule with his leg caught in quicksand. At first, I thought it was my old voice activated recorder or bad quality tapes. Now I believe it's the tone and/or pitch of my voice, is there anything I can do to fix this problem? I did some records that I just tossed into the recycle can, which should have a burning incinerator next to that recycle can. lol Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank You, DianesMelody44

starfire411LEVEL 96

Reply by starfire411GOLD

JUST KEEP SINGING, THE MORE YOU PRACTICE THE MORE IT HELPS, AND WELCOME TO SINGSNAP I HOPE YOU ENJOY YOUR STAY
BESIDES WE ARE OUR OWN WORST CRITICS, WHAT YOU MAY THINK SOUNDS BAD TO YOU MAY SOUND GOOD TO SOMEONE ELSE...

DianesMelody44LEVEL 31

Reply by DianesMelody44

Thank you for your encouraging comment. Singing used to come natural when we're younger but as we all age our voices change, practicing with warm-ups is a good suggestion, I do sound somewhat better when I do warm-ups. I guess I just needed to see it in text, singing is like everything else, practice, practice, practice! Thank You again, DianesMelody44

ncarolinaLEVEL 39

Reply by ncarolina

Hello Diane, also back here after a long absence, well i sing out in the karaoke world, yes i agree with Starfire we are our own worst enemy. I took singing lessons after my motorcycle wreck just for the heck of it, 6 months, didn't learn a thing, but found out in an expensive studio, i sounded pretty great, here is another story, no foam on the walls or ceilings, no fancy sound equipment, no fancy DJ to monitor or tone/pitch, or what i call it "sound like a chipmunk", we just gotta tread water & do the best we can. Sing what you like, it's NOT how you sound, it's that it's coming from your heart, we can hear that, it will get through, & yea practice those mixing things, lol, try with no reverb, try doing all kinds of things, ps that's what i'm doing, just keep experimenting, & yes you can sing, anyone can sing, if they find the "right" songs for their voice, but darn i do prefer singing out in the world, one the DJ has excellent equipment, two, lotsa ppl are half drunk, they don't know what we are singing lol, it's all for fun, just remember that.