For those who have the emu soundcard..

This topic is listed in Recording Help & Tips. It has been viewed 19,529 times and 118 replies have been made.

- Next
Elisha

Post by Elisha

Hey guys. I thought I saw that a couple of you also have the Emu 0404 soundcard. I don't know where my instructions ended up, so most of what I have done is through trial and error. I've often wondered if I've even got this thing configured properly. I'll admit I have been pretty confuesed with all these ASIO sends and yadda yadda, so I just rigged it up the best way I could to make it work. I'd love to know if you guys have it similarly configured, or if there is a better way. I have a screen shot here that shows my setup. Basically, I put a "SEND" on the Aux 1 bus and just use the volume AUX 1 controls for the music and the vocals. Is that how it should be done or is there a more efficient/better way of setting this thing?? Thanks if anyone knows..

Mark46

Reply by Mark46

You also need to make sure that the player is recognizing the EMU mixer. For me, I set the master "SEND" to "HOST WAVE L / R". Otherwise no sound gets recorded.

Marlene

Reply by MarleneGOLD +2

I JUST baught this E-MU 0404 sound card and I dont know how to use it..... Mic sounds very low.... HELP ANYONE?!!!!!!!!! I also have sound blaster.. which sucks..

Marlene

Reply by MarleneGOLD +2

Guess no one really knows how to use this, lol

jleigh

Reply by jleigh

I also have an E-MU 0404 sound card and at first had a problem with the mic but I found if you lower the music recording value a little at a time the mic will get louder as you lower the music . also the slide on the very right side should be up fairly high.. It is a very confusing card to try and configure but when you finally get it right by tweaking the different buttons it is a pretty good sound card...unfortunately after you get it the way you want it you have no idea how you got there....

Elisha

Reply by Elisha

Hey guys.. I've been kinda busy, so not much time to be here lately, but I saw this discussion here today and wanted to try and help if I can. Mark.. you don't need to put a send on the wave. The main send can go in the aux 1 bus as it shows in the diagram where it says "this sends it out to be recorded"

Then you just make sure you turn up the volume on the aux 1 of both the wave and the mic and adjust it accordingly from there to get the best mix of music and vocals. Those aux 1 volume controls are also labeled on the diagram as "This is the music recording volume" and "This is the mic recording volume"

Once you have the balance of music to vocals correct, you can adjust the overall volume sent by turning up or down the actual Aux1 bus send volume which is labeled "This is the master record volume"

As for your mic sounding low Marlene, you may want to try using the compression effect built into the soundcard to help give it a boost. Just click that little bitty oval button up on the top right that says FX and the effects options will pop open. Scroll to find the compression and drag it over into your mic strip (you can see on the diagram where I have the effects on my mic like reverb and compression). You can then adjust the settings of the compression by clicking on place where it now says compression on you mic strip, and the big window to the right will display your options for adjusting it..

Hope that helps.. it's a great card! ..confusing to learn at first but rewarding once you do get the hang of it!

Mark46

Reply by Mark46

Ooops! I booboo'd..LOL Must have forgot to close the url correctly.

Mark46

Reply by Mark46

If you have any tips, please PM me them, as I don't regularly check the message board

Elisha

Reply by Elisha

Mark.. I wish I knew exactly what to tell you. I'm no techical guru to say the least. You seem to know more about equipment than I do!

I just have found settings that work for me through trial and error, and things like my reverb and compression are never set ALWAYS the same way. I'm the kind of person that just tinkers with things until they sound right. So I suggest to you to just play with the settings rather than using presets, and really pay attention to how the sound is changing as you play with the sliders/settings. That's basically what I do. It's all trial and error for me, and no "exact science" When I find something that sounds right to me, I go with it. I usually will do practice recordings clips to test out and adjust as I go.

Mark46

Reply by Mark46

Elisha.. thanx for explaining. I did assume you were a technical guru. Anyway, I'm not one either. I mostly do stuff by trial and error. What puzzles me though is that while I'm recording, everything sounds fine in my phones. It's not until I listen back to the saved recordings that I hear the poor vocal effect. Btw I talked to the EMU tech support, and learned that my sound setup might not be good. They recommend the least amount of connections, or the signal can get weakened. Also it's not necessary to use both mic strips, as panning takes care of centering. Anyway, along with dual mic strips, I'm using 3 mixers. One for the noise gate, one for the mic input, and one for the headphones. Somehow the mic signal is weakening in the process, and getting recorded that way. I don't hear it while I'm singing because the live sound is strong. Hopefully the tube pre-amp I bought will give my voice the natural tone it has in my recordings, as well as phones. Also I'm going to reduce the hardware, by using a couple of adapters I bought at Radioshack.

Well anyway, sorry for pestering you with all the technical questions and concerns, but I will say that you initially gave a strong impression that you were very knowledgeable about such things ;-\

hobo56

Reply by hobo56

what i use is a sony mic amp mixer with a shure microphone . my computer which is a hp has a standard run of the mill sound card nothing fancy . what i did was buy a y connector which has two rca plugs and go down to a single stereo mini jack that i plug right into the mic input of my computer , the rca plugs are plugged into my record outputs on the sony mic mixer . this same sony mic mixer i use in my karaoke shows i do at nursing homes . you than adjust your sound with the voice and the reverb and try it a few times to get the right mix . i was impressed with the sound that i get . i dont have any special effects the only thing i have is the echo which gives me some depth . you could try a standard karaoke machine which usually has a output with those rca jacks these y connectors run about 5.00 at any place that sells phone or ipod cords hope that helps someone

Marlene

Reply by MarleneGOLD +2

Just to let ya'll know that if you have an E-Mu 0404 sound card you can not use it with vista.. They have not come out with the drivers yet and apparently there wont be any drivers until October, I believe they will come out with beta drivers but I dont know if it will work properly. Thought I would share this info!

AnnieLyric

Reply by AnnieLyricGOLD

Hello,
Well I spent over $200.00 for a new EMU 0404 USB product. And still can't figure out how to use this.
It comes with lots of cool software..which I have not figured out yet. I bought the USB so I could use it with my laptop...rather than desktop.

My son is a whiz at this stuff...but he said he's not as easy to figure out as the salesman told me it would be. And my son does not live very close so difficult to help me.
Anyone else have this? Any help apprciated...otherwise I'm selling this thing on EBAY.

Very frustrating....and I'm not a whiz at PC's but consider I know some stuff...and always read up on everything as I can. Trial and error has helped before...but I'm burnt out now.

Thanks AnnieLyic

ps maybe I should have just bought the soundcard for my desktop rather than the USB version?

w_benjamin

Edited reply by w_benjaminGOLD

The USB box and soundcard should work similar (I have the soundcard) If you have installed the drivers and software, you should have everything you need to do some pretty good recording (CuBase LE alone makes it worth the price) Do you have the DSP Mixer available to you?

peachygurl

Reply by peachygurlGOLD +4

The Beta drivers for Vista are now released at
http://www.emu.com/support/vista.asp

ELVIS_USA

Reply by ELVIS_USAGOLD +1

to all that have the emu it says you must hav a mixer to preamp your mic emu itself has NO MIC PRE AMPS see page 9 of the emu quick start guide il help all who need help with this EMU-0404 CARD THANKS

ELVIS_USA

JUST PM ME IF NEEDS HELP WITH THE E-MU

ELVIS_USA

Edited reply by ELVIS_USAGOLD +1

ANNIELYRIC GLAD YOU GOT EVERTHING WORKING AND GLAD I WAS ABLE TO HELP EMU IS A GRATE CARD AND REMEMBER ITS MADE BY SOUNDBLASTER TO HOW CAN YOU GO WRONG GETTING IT???

ELVIS_USA

try this link http://www.productionforums.com/viewforum.php?f=114 then go to jump to click on it find unit you have thats it... has lots of info. and fixes to many EMU-0404 PC CARD and EMU-O404 USB UNITS AS WELL...HAPPY READING:)

ocalakj

Reply by ocalakj

I have a compaq presario v6000 laptop. it has the conexant hd audio. I have not been able to add reverb to my songs......i need that. I was thinking off adding a external mixer to add some reverb. I have never attempted this. Can anyone direct me on how to add reverb to my songs with the set up I have or what do i need to add. I would like to go as inexpensive as possible, thx dave

iffypresley

Reply by iffypresleyGOLD +2

i had a emu sound card for a day,,,i could not get the mic workin loud enough.was always quite..so i took it back and put me sb audigy card back in..and bought a shure mic and a preamp..been rock n roll ever since..ive heard good and bad things about the emu card.like the mic is low and needs some umph with a preamp..prob depends wht mic u use maybe..i had a radio a mic and tht didnt need a preamp.but the sound quality wasnt as good.i really do recommend a sb audigy 2 zs sound card..mines been solid for 3 years now..and has all the gadgets u need..i got the emu card cause i seen all the buttons on it,,lol,,i wanted it haha.its is a great card but i just couldnt get the mic too be louder..maybe its the low density mic tht does it im not sure,,

ELVIS_USA

hay iff the emu-needs a mic preamp like in a mixer i posted this sure wish you would have told me i would have guided you through it bro.

ELVIS_USA

i use nothing in my dell but a emu-0404 PC card grate card love it even has a default and you can save settings for songs you do I'm still learning with it tricks so many weird sounds echos compressions anything from 1.1 to 100 to.1 its a lot of fun singing on:)

iffypresley

Reply by iffypresleyGOLD +2

cheers singen m8 ill let u know when i get one,,happy at mo,,but if i do ill be pming u,lol:)

ELVIS_USA

no prob bro take care iffy see you on PAKTALK

tn_darlin

Reply by tn_darlin

i can record and hear the music but when i listen to recording i cant hear the music

ELVIS_USA

TN ON THE EMU CARD???

MadmanJohn

Edited reply by MadmanJohn

I have 5 different pro sound systems and various different karaoke systems at my disposal.and probably a dozen different mics. I also build computers for my day job.Those of you with vista, service pack 1 is now out. if you dont have it, get it.It may not help any audio problems, but it will make vista a whole lot more accetable to the usual daily grind. 2- 95% of most pro audio and lighting applications are some what vista compatible, but you will lose some functionality and speed.Most won't work at all, and the pro audio and lighting community ain't ready to start writing code for em until vista is further debugged.heres a few tips. first disable user options functions, and animated graphic controls. it will still look like vista but it will lose the fade in/out effect visually, which will make up for a bit of the speed loss. Programs will snap onto the screen instead of fading in, kinda like old xp. If you run xp, service pack 3 is out, go to MS downloads for both. As for the emu card, ive tried a bunch of cards for our show systems. for the money, the best bang for the buck is still cmedia- on a test bench at our lab and studio, it still out performs anything we/ve used in the low to mid price range.Extremely low distortion and high separartion specs.on the bench the blpow away any blaster or audigy cards. (some audigy pci have cmedia chips. Cmedia had the first patents on nearly all audio pc devices and that is all they do except card memory. they were also the first to perfect and patent dolby 7.1 home theater audio.The most usual brands these chips show up in is either diamond, and another is turtle beach, but no compression built in. On the same note- Ive been searching for a way to record in stereo here, and at ksolo and also at singshot. i have 3 rather large mixers, one a peavey unit, and a mackie and a tascam which all have built in usb capabilities, all less than a year old.I cannot record stereo into any of these sites no matter what I've tried. I have 8 computers, all custom built, ranging from socket a's up to phenoms. (INTEL FREE! WE SPEAK AMD HERE!!)However. most motherboard audio is capable of perfect broadband frequency response. A good outboard mixer and mic can be an inexpensive fix for a lot of what you are trying to achieve. external compression devices are great too. but if you are on a budget-(or an allowance)
try recording onto a program such as audio editor pro or mixcraft first with your music, then playback thru winamp using the volume logic plug in or if you know your compression devices, stereo tool by hans van zutphen, and use your computers built in mixer to record it back onto singsnap. you can cheat getting a stereo patch cable and patch your output to line in, make sure you get a y adtaptor to use your headphones or speakers simultaniously,if your computer's audio is 5.1 or newer,and you have line input on playback, make sure you mute it, cause you will create an immediate feedback loop that will pierce your ears for you, and you will get a better sound than direct wave in the mix, cause you will be able to utilize the programs equalizer to tailor the output a bit. but don't get too carried away or you will get nothing but fuzz.
If anyone has found a way to record here in stereo, I;d love to know How to do it. Ive tried everything and every suggestion ive been able to track down. its not for lack of equipment, i have tons of it.i can record up to 16 tracks at once on the phenom machine, but not online. either im missing something., or the capabilities dont exist. it may just be something in ineternet exploder 7. i dunno:(! thanxabunch, hope this may help some of you.

MadmanJohn

Reply by MadmanJohn

I tried to edit this into that mess but it wouldent let me- there were quite a few mobo's that had cmedia on them, biostar and asus used a lot of em. ive got some recordings here and several at singshot done with the winamp compression plugins, and it beat hauling all the equipment back from gigs to do home karaoke. takes a bit longer. visit my stuff and hear the results.

MadmanJohn

Reply by MadmanJohn

any q's i can answer just pm me, or use my main site-www.1stentertainmentservices.com

ELVIS_USA

hi john the THE GEAR GUY. here singsnap is mono as is sims paltalk ksolo and singsnap all singen programs to date are i have a yamaha mixer hooked up and when i pan left to right NO CHANGE!!! this is why i chose a analog stereo mixer OFF!!! the net i can record in stereo on the net i can record in mono as we all can... on every singen program we use on the net...... THE GEAR GUY.

born2rock4life

Reply by born2rock4life

*** Possible Solution ***

Alright, I don't know if you use the E-Mu DSP Software with the 0404 card stand alone, as I'm using the 1212m. But, I've found a way to allow the wave channel to be sent to the aux bus, which is how the software is configured by default. Here's a screenshot of what I've done to allow it to be received into the mix.

http://www.mybudgetpc.com/singsnap/emu.jpg

Marlene

Reply by MarleneGOLD +2

HI there, anyone know how to use the compression on the Emu 0404 PCI sound card?

Marlene

Reply by MarleneGOLD +2

*** Possible Solution ***

Alright, I don't know if you use the E-Mu DSP Software with the 0404 card stand alone, as I'm using the 1212m. But, I've found a way to allow the wave channel to be sent to the aux bus, which is how the software is configured by default. Here's a screenshot of what I've done to allow it to be received into the mix.

http://www.mybudgetpc.com/singsnap/emu.jpgborn2rock4life

Hi born2rock4life,

If you do the same to the Aux 2 as you did to the Aux 1 you will get a more full clearer sound. I have both Aux 1 and Aux 2 set to 0.0 on the Wave 1/2.. try it out and tell me what you think.

ELVIS_USA

here is a tip set wave to all 0.0 then use a trimer pot if you want clean sound and loud use a compressor at 3.1 and use the setting band helper to get COMPRESSOR click fx then click core click compressor and drag in to inserts for the TRIM POT right click inserts select trim pot and select insert trim pot ...thats it THE GEAR GUY. ......... PROUD OWNER OF THE EMU-0404 PC STUDIO CARD.

ELVIS_USA

no prob bro take care iffy see you on PALTALKsingen_for_you

Pinaygottalent

Reply by Pinaygottalent

Hi I just bought E-MU 0404 the other day and I am very frustrated that does'nt work well with my mixer Phonic AM2400 and I also buyed nice condensed microphone that supposed to be come up good recording quality. My computer is XP and I think no problem. My problem is the quality of the music and voice is very low. Sounds like inside the cave and the line L doesnt work too only the right side. It's really sucks,I thought this is a nice sound card I bought!

ELVIS_USA

TILL PINAYGOTTALENT LEARND HOW TO USE IT THEN GOT IT SET UP RIGHT.... THE GEAR GUY.

w_benjamin

Reply by w_benjaminGOLD

The PatchMix DSP is a simple, yet very versatile mixer for the EMU soundcard. I'm amazed people seem to have trouble with it.

ELVIS_USA

THATS WHY I RECOMEND IT BENJAMIN TO ME ITS THE SIMPLEST MIXER TO USE I THINK PART OF IT IS THE WAY THE PLUG INS ARE PEOPLE DONT KNOW HOW TO USE THEM AND WE HAVE ALL GROWN UP WITH THE LITTLE HOLES ALL IN A ROLL THEN THIS COMES ALONG OMG!!! ITS CHANGED NO NICE NEAT HOLES IN A ROLL NO MORE AND ALL THES EXTRA DIALS OMG!!! WHERE DID THIS COME FROM WHO THOUGHT THIS UP??? WHY ARE THAY DOING THIS TO US IS IT A GOVERNMENT PLOT?? SOME SORT OF MIND TEST.????RELAX .................PEOPLE !!! ITS ONLY A SOUND CARD...LOL AND IF YOU GET ONE... ASK FOR HELP WITH IT!!! GO TO GUITAR CENTER , SAM ASH TALK TO THERE PRO AUDIO GUYS AND ONCE YOU GET THE FEAL OF THIS CARD AND WHAT IT CAN DO YOUL BE LIKE WWWWOOOWWWW!!!! SEE SOMETIMES CHANGE IS GOOD THE GEAR GUY.

ELVIS_USA

IF YOUR HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THE EMU- PATCHMIX THIS MAY HELP YOU ALL http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1877459825955944060

blue-nightingale

Reply by blue-nightingaleGOLD +9 +9

Dear friends I am taking some time out to care for my 87 year old Mum who has Dementia.

flagging

jrnyman

Reply by jrnymanGOLD

Omg!!!!!!!!!! did they seriously get rid of all the eagles songs!!!. unbelievable!!!!!!!!

I have the emu 1616m and the patch mix is a total joke.Its so hard to figure out where and how to send signals.you can do alot with it, if you have a masters degree in emu products.I hate it but i found a pretty good sound for vocals.

Satori

Reply by Satori

Saw this thread, and decided to offer my services if needed.
I have a fair amount of soundcard experience, I run an emu card as well. so if anyone still has issues and or needs help, I will flag this thread, and maybe we can get ya running..

AnnieLyric

Reply by AnnieLyricGOLD

OMG...I am ready to sell my darn Emu Usb 0404 or throw it out the window. Have had a few yrs. and still can't figure out if I have anything right. What to do? Any help appreicated. I think it is a bit different to configure if soundcard, or USB connect?
I'm not even sure I have the darn drivers installed and how to PatchMix and install correctly and then use the software. Am I hopeless? Thanks...
Ps I have XP laptop and Vista laptop.

Bonita

Reply by BonitaGOLD

OMG...I am ready to sell my darn Emu Usb 0404 or throw it out the window. Have had a few yrs. and still can't figure out if I have anything right. What to do? Any help appreicated. I think it is a bit different to configure if soundcard, or USB connect?
I'm not even sure I have the darn drivers installed and how to PatchMix and install correctly and then use the software. Am I hopeless? Thanks...
Ps I have XP laptop and Vista laptop.AnnieLyric

Dont' throw it away yet girl lol.
What is happening? And which computer are you using mainly for singing on here?
Do you have the installation disk that came with the EMU?
check this out and see if it helps you and let me know okay?
hugs
Bonnie

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep04/articles/emu0404.htm

Bonita

Reply by BonitaGOLD

Here is another link for you Annie
Good luck
Bon

Bonita

Reply by BonitaGOLD

and another link for you to look at Annie.......let us know how you make out
Bonnie

BCSchmerker2

Reply by BCSchmerker2GOLD +2

This is an of-interest to me, as I may be putting in an 0404 for my Everex' next rebuild---especially if I go the all-Intel route to allow me the use of the currently-in-testing (as of 8 January 2010) Ubuntu Studio Lucid Lynx (consistent problems encountered with AMD processors under LinUX Kernels 2.6.26+-rt). I currently use the Creative Laboratories SB0250, which uses a chipset closely related to that of the E-mu 0404 and 1010, in the Everex, albeit on a Gigabyte system board with an all-AMD chipset. I'm putting this Topic in my Favorites so I can track any solutions that come in on the issue of streaming with the E-mu 0404/1010.

werewoof

Reply by werewoofGOLD +2

So.. this is hilarious... First of all I posted a reply in this thread this morning and it has since vanished...

That's a bad omen.... LOL

Anyway. I just bought and installed the EMU 0404 PCI card...

NOW I know why everyone has been bemoaning how cruelly difficult it is to attempt to use the patchmix thingy......

I'm baffled.

Is it even possible to use a Tascam US-122 USB interface with this soundcard?

If so, how?

I have certainly exhausted my (very limited) abilities trying to figure it out.

I'd hate to think I just dropped $100 on a soundcard and now i can never use my condenser mic to record.

- Next