How to adjust for optimal recording quality

This topic is listed in Recording Help & Tips.
It has been viewed 175,636 times and 510 replies have been made.

Previous Next
Ellen

Reply by Ellen

This site is one big headache, I get depressed everytime I come here and try to figure out this sound problem...Well no more. I won't be back to try it again...

Ellen

Edited reply by Ellen

killercsaj

Reply by killercsaj

It doesn't work for me eighter... :(((((( I hear my voice, but where is the music?

kel126_1

Reply by kel126_1

If you have a lot of trouble with your on-board sound card, do what I did, go to the nearest computer store and buy a new SoundBlaster Audigy 2 soundcard for like 30$. Load the software, install the card, and you get every control you could possibly want for online karaoke. MysteriMysteri
note install pc sound card let xp find it then install your cd that came with it

captnmorgan58

Reply by captnmorgan58

WOOOOOO HOOOOO TY PEACHY GR8 ADVICE WORKS AWESOME TY

BigEmm

Reply by BigEmmGOLD

Just wondering if you know how to get ride of the static that plays back on your recordings? Manda

ramblingman

Reply by ramblingman

cant hear music either when i record....think the first song we should all record if we sort this out is CRAZY cause thats where we,l be about at by then!!!

peachygurl

Reply by peachygurlGOLD

BigEmm, the static is normally from your sound card. If it is an on-board sound card, there is very little you can do.

Rambingman, there is a fantastic tutorial for how to address your issue with the music. You can find it in the FAQ link at the bottom of the page. That is provided you are running Windows XP. Vista has "issues" to put it mildly. It works for some folks, it doesn't work for others and some are inbetween. Same goes for USB devices.

Curny-

Reply by Curny-GOLD +1

having problems with recordings, i have win xp pro, sigma-tel c major onboard does anyone have the correct settings would be most greatfull , its more annoying doing a song then to find out it is not sending, its a pain in the *** ty peter

peachygurl

Reply by peachygurlGOLD

Sigma-Tel has major issues getting along with Snap. There is a sticky that gives the results some folks have found to work. However, for the most part, Snap does not work with that card.

Curny-

Reply by Curny-GOLD +1

WELL IF IT DOES NOT WORK I RECORDED OVER 400 HUNDRED SONGS , THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN IT STARTED THIS SENDING BUT NEVER GETTING THERE,

GUardian_Angel42

Reply by GUardian_Angel42

No offence but this dosent work with realtek hd sound cards if you have awya to help wit it i would be happy i have done everything i know an di know comps pretty well

MizM

Edited reply by MizM

I cannot get it to work with a mic using mic jack. My internal mic on my laptop will pick me up, but not the music or my duet partner. Stereo Mix did not solve it. Using a mic with jack did not solve. I've had to use an audio repeater via VAC and a USB mic. It is a platinum solution to a cubic zirconia problem. Also, I had to stand about halfway across the room from the mic. which I placed next to my laptop speaker. I have SoundMax sound cards, which are not fantastic, but not that finicky either.

girlcriedrock

Reply by girlcriedrock

If you are using XP, go to the START button, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools and finally System Information. Click on the Components Tab. Click on Sound Device in that box. It will tell you what kind of sound card you have.

What U Hear may be called Stereo Mix or some other name. I think the tutorial lists them.

IF you happen to be cursed with a SigmaTel card, good luck. The only way I have heard peeps getting good results with that card is to use an external karaoke machine or mixer and feed it into their Line-In port not their mic port. Your mic would be attached to the mixer or karaoke machine. peachygurl

i have a realtek high definition audio sound card. do you think this is a good enough card to use on here?

mswells

Reply by mswells

still having the same problem...I bought a new mic, my voice comes out fine...new sound card...I love it...but still can't get the music to come out on my recordings. It's very very faint. I've litterally spent hours trying to figure this out and I can't get it. I'm pretty computer literate too! UGH!!!KimD

mswells

Reply by mswells

i have a sound device that is sound max inteldig audio can not get it to record the music i just can hear me singing how do i turn up my music?

peachygurl

Reply by peachygurlGOLD

Folks, if the site tutorial you find in the FAQ and this tutorial does not fix your problems, I'm at a loss. I can only offer my own experiences and what others tell me works for them.

I'm sorry I do not know every in and out of every sound card made.

Please try the video tutorial you can find in the FAQ. The link for the FAQ is at the bottom of the page.

Pacific_islander

Reply by Pacific_islander

to anyone with Soundblaster or audigy card....if you hear your singing and no music vise versa.... click on your mini recorder and select ..."what you hear" instead of mic...will cure your problem...if you have an onboard soundcard on an old PC and its not working properly... open your window
and toss the damn thing out, because they are worthless.
my friend save the headache and get a new PC with add on soundcard..not onboard....onboard sux..

crissmichaels

Reply by crissmichaels

Okay, but what do I do if there is no stereo mix option in volume control? Could you help me out on that one?

blueyedgirl

Reply by blueyedgirl

HELP! New to all this just tried to record my first song and all i can hear is my voice and not the music.What do i have to do?

briarrabbit

Reply by briarrabbit

HELLO PEACHY GIRL...i have gotten this thing to work ...but only on one song...i finally figured out how to get the music volume right..and once my voice was ...equal so to speak in volume..at least ya could hear me...i loved your tutorial btw...but now i am trying to record a song and the music is drowning me out again....what slider do ya figure i am missing

briarrabbit

Reply by briarrabbit

i dont do a lot of recording but this one song is almost bareable for me to leave public..

briarrabbit

Reply by briarrabbit

oops..appears i am talking to myself again...lol....

peachygurl

Reply by peachygurlGOLD

briarrabbit, sorry for the delay in responding. It is midterm week for me and I'm running around like a headless chicken trying to keep up.

Check the FAQ link at the bottom on the page and use the video there to adjust your volumes. I find on some songs, I have to lower the WAVE setting to get the backing track to behave. Most of the time, I can use the music slider on the recorder to get it right.

sing-star

Reply by sing-starGOLD

help me!!!my master volumn has audio and line in MUTED. I can not access this panel. could this be why I am not getting any volumn on my background. The next one is advanced mic controls to adjust base and trebal. Help anyone. TksGeorge-III

velvetmorning

Reply by velvetmorning

still having trouble hangs up on sending info; please someone out there help this greenhorn

peachygurl

Reply by peachygurlGOLD

Velvet, can you be more specific on your problem and what operating system you are using?

lionheart209

Reply by lionheart209

I'm looking for a MIC to buy that has the echo capabilities, and sounds like pro MIC, can anyone help me out? Tell me what MIC to buy? email me at lionheart_209@yahoo.com

LouiE~

peachygurl

Reply by peachygurlGOLD

Louie, the mics that have built in echo are not in a "pro" category. The best way to get reverb is to use a mixer. There are plenty of folks that use a decent vocal mic and an inexpensive mixer to get excellent sound quality.

golde62

Reply by golde62

debbi renalds

ED-NH

Reply by ED-NHGOLD

I'm looking for a MIC to buy that has the echo capabilities, and sounds like pro MIC, can anyone help me out? Tell me what MIC to buy? email me at lionheart_209@yahoo.com

LouiE~lionheart209

All Sound Blaster and Diamond sound cards have echo built into them, i'm sure many others may also.
it would be under EAX settings, recording or Karaoke.
Some mixers do have effects but you are looking at $150.00 or more.
I have found the best sound card for Karaoke is the cheap Sound Blaster Live, (not even the 24 bit, just the SB Live)
Not only does it have echo but it has what is called "pitch shift".
You can lower or raise the pitch if the music without affecting the vocal.

They are no longer available in stores but you can find them on eBay frown $5.00 to $20.00.
Also, I would recommend using a headset to record, with your speakers off.
If you notice some peoples recording sound thin and tiny that is because the music is being picked up by the mic, not the .wav from your sound card.
Good luck, Ed

briarrabbit

Reply by briarrabbit

briarrabbit, sorry for the delay in responding. It is midterm week for me and I'm running around like a headless chicken trying to keep up.

Check the FAQ link at the bottom on the page and use the video there to adjust your volumes. I find on some songs, I have to lower the WAVE setting to get the backing track to behave. Most of the time, I can use the music slider on the recorder to get it right. peachygurl

THANKYOU ....I WILL TRY THIS AGAIN...THANKYOU SO MUCH FOR TAKING THE TIME TO HELP ....

withafierceness

Reply by withafierceness

I need some help with this too. the only mic I have is the one that is in my webcam. I have it turned down to the lowest possible recording level and it still maxes out. I also have it about 3 feet away from me too and its still no good. any additional suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! -JD

peachygurl

Reply by peachygurlGOLD

Withafierceness, when you say you have it turned down to the lowest possible setting, how did you adjust that volume? We will try to help but we do not know every combination of equipment.

Ed, not every SoundBlaster card has the EAX console. Some of them that do also do not record the effects live. You can apply the effects as you listen on those cards but they are NOT recorded as part of the project. Some of the SoundBlaster cards DO allow for live effects. It depends on the specific card.

mbeth

Reply by mbethPATRON

I have read your tips and my problem seems to be when I click on my volume Icon my screen comes up speakers...
then when I change to recording...it shows wave in and under that Microphone. I don't get a Major Volume control. I am using windows xp.
i'm having problems with loud voice low music and can't seem to adjust it...any advice I would appreciate it.
thanks, beth

ED-NH

Reply by ED-NHGOLD

Withafierceness, when you say you have it turned down to the lowest possible setting, how did you adjust that volume? We will try to help but we do not know every combination of equipment.

Ed, not every SoundBlaster card has the EAX console. Some of them that do also do not record the effects live. You can apply the effects as you listen on those cards but they are NOT recorded as part of the project. Some of the SoundBlaster cards DO allow for live effects. It depends on the specific card. peachygurl

Yes, as I stated only the plain “Sound Blaster Live” will allow you to use “pitch shifter” in any program, the rest will only lower or raise the pitch in the SB recorder.
Every SoundBlaster I have ever seen has EAX, if not then the card needs updated drivers from the creative web site.
Ed

TheForce

Reply by TheForce

I just cannot seem to get the background accompaniment (the music) to be at an equal level to my voice. Some recordings sounds just like what they are. A voice singing to prerecorded music. You can easily differentiate between the singing and the music.

So the question "IS", How do you get the music up?

Thanks!

ZeroPercentBeauty

Reply by ZeroPercentBeauty

Wow Peachygurllllll thanks a million honestly singsnap is very lucky to have and so are we hahaha i just repated someones line but thats how i feel its amzing how you walk us through, very impressing!

Kygrl8

Reply by Kygrl8

Ok sooooo..I had a few songs recorded. I could hear my vocals fine and I could hear the music fine. I was told that I should try this out cause it would only make it better. I went step by step and now my stuff is all kinds of messed up. I can barely hear the music and my mic is all funky now I can barely hear my vocals. All my settings I had before was factory. I never messed with them..I really wanna get this problem fixed. It's driving me crazy!!!!!!!

Starflower

Reply by Starflower

I have gone through this tutorial 10 times and still cant get it working , i have been in s/s for a long time and it was working perfect , but 3 weeks ago my p c crashed and since i got it back i cant get s.s ,i record my song but when i playback i only hear my voice , bur also a lot of noise and the tutorial seems to be stuck in the window ,it wont go away .I have Soundblaster Audigy ,i would really appreciate some help here ,i love this site ,
thanks ,

unique2sdaughter

Reply by unique2sdaughterGOLD

the only trouble i am having, every time i go to record a song...when i go to listen to what i recorded it freezes up on me, and i have to close it out and restart the page???? help? anyone? or myabe its my voice and trying to tell me something, helppppp!

art2tpg13

Reply by art2tpg13

peachy gurl,im doing my recording before and it was good but i'm wondering what happened i cant record anymore,whenever i start vto check the recording there is no sound anymore,seems to be everything is not working properly,can you give me some tips on what should i do or something to check in my computer?

Foxie

Reply by FoxieGOLD

I bought a new PC a week ago with of cource Vista! Downloaded new drivers and new application of soundblaster audigy se. I can get mic and sound when recording, but in Playback no background music just me accapella! Anyone know about this new Vista???
I have eax and all but in the sound properties there is no "what you hear"," sound mix" or" wave" selections anywhere. Thanks for any advice on this .
FOXIE

reeree

Reply by reeree

I am still super confused , Our Voice is still way to HIGH and the music is way to low Savie

reeree

Reply by reeree

when i record asong it sounds great ,but when i try to put it on singsnap . there is no sound thereat all.help me out someone .i don,t much about the compter

Charisla

Reply by Charisla

Microphone Connection:
The first thing one needs to be sure of is that your microphone is connected to the computer. Most people will connect their microphone directly to their sound card. Many computers now have color coded connections and the microphone connection is PINK.

The connection to the sound card requires a 1/8 inch phone plug. Adapters to change from a 1/4 inch plug to the 1/8 inch plug are available at stores like Radio Shack. Some more advanced sound cards allow for direction connection of the 1/4 inch plugs.

Is there a way to access this instead of it just popping up because i chose whong setting and then did the instal of the driver from gl and now it won't pop up therefor I can not here my singing only the music. It was set for line in and it sould have been microphone. very frustated trying to find where I can change the setting.

TrUdE9964

Reply by TrUdE9964

Thank you, peachygurl, for your in-depth visual instructions. They seem to be working a treat for me & playback sounds lovely on my pc, both music & vocals. Once again, Thank You...xxx

ShesALady

Reply by ShesALady

Anyone to help me get some reverb?
I have sound blaster audigy.. I hear it on my computer but it doesnt record when I sing it?? Help?

Thanks ~ Shay

SmoothSail

Reply by SmoothSail

Hello. in my ADJUST VOLUME FOR, I only get an option for PLAYBACK but not for RECORDING. RECORDING is grayed out and I can't even click off the PLAYBACK option to select the RECORDING option. I can't get to the part where I can click the stereo mix so I can hear music. I can't hear music & the troubleshooting or video does not cover my problem.

smallstrangegod

Reply by smallstrangegodGOLD

i also had problems with this... i did exactly what was written there... and still i hear my voice and hardly any music... i use a head set mic and i can hardly hear the music... i hate using my other mic because it just sounds all yucky... if anyone has any ideas please let me know

Previous Next