Sound Properties

This topic is listed in Recording Help & Tips.
It has been viewed 139,694 times and 572 replies have been made.

Previous Next
Kristahlyn

Reply by Kristahlyn

Can anyone tell me what this "stereo mix" thing is? I don't have one and it's getting really confusing and irritating trying to find it when it's not there. I either have too much voice in my recordings... or too much music and no voice....

Kourtnie

Reply by Kourtnie

When I check stereo mix the wizard doesn't detect my mic. This is the most confusing karaoke site I've been on. Is it owned by a sound card company? To get you to buy a nice new sound card from 'em? GRR

bobadee

Reply by bobadee

Hi,
This info was very informative, especially about connecting an effects unit. The trouble I'm having is my recorded song comes out in a lower pitch. Do you have a solution for me? Thanks.

Brothers88

Reply by Brothers88

hi there,
I cannot record my voice, i have just the mic that comes with the computer, I have windows XP, i can not hear my voice through the speakers, I can hear the music....please help

pelpers

Reply by pelpers

I'm having a problem..hope you can help..I have a maya 7.1 audio card. I plug into the mic imut but get nothing.Hope you can help..thanx, phil

pelpers

Reply by pelpers

I'm having a problem..hope you can help..I have a maya 7.1 audio card. I plug into the mic imut but get nothing.Hope you can help..thanx, phil

choppylass

Reply by choppylass

i have mike volume,my music is so soft all you hear is my voice.can you help me

DixieLullaby

Reply by DixieLullaby

By George I think I got it! I got a new headset mic hoping to get better sound quality and had a terrible time figuring it out. You helped me so much! Thank you.

DixieLullaby

Reply by DixieLullaby

heres what i learned...you have to adjust ur playback settings before u adjust ur recording settings. half way for the wave is good to start and go from there. select the wave out mix for recording. mine doesnt have a "stereo mix" either so i chose wav out and it works fine.

kennysellman

Reply by kennysellman

ive done all the settings but still i get my voice but music is so low cant even hear it even after trouble shooting and adjusting the settings on here

AlishasMelody

Reply by AlishasMelodyGOLD

Anyone have any info for us Mac users? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

AlishasMelody

Reply by AlishasMelodyGOLD

I guess I should post the problem...LOL I can hear the music when I record, but on playback the music is very very low. Thanks, Alisha

HEVY

Reply by HEVY

OK I keep setting it on the recording but when I click out of it it turns back to playback, and I can't for the life of me fing any stereo mix. : (

HEVY

Reply by HEVY

Oh sorry, I do use a headphone with mic and have used the same one the whole time I been here. This problem with no music during playback just started this week.

HEVY

Reply by HEVY

well i just went to listen to my old recordings and guess what? i cant here the music on them either.

cowen4

Reply by cowen4GOLD

hi i am using a laptop while on vacation and i am not able to record sound either, just voice-this xp system has no stereo mix as an option either. Only cd volume, line in and mic-any suggestions anyone?

Nickyp

Reply by Nickyp

I can't get the music to play after I record the song...I hear it when I record but it does not play back when I am reviewing it...What can be wrong?
Thanks

ShadowShifter

Reply by ShadowShifter

If you have a built in sound on the mother board and you dont see stereo mix wav ect...... look for digital , that will be the same as what i hear....stereo mix wav and so on.

ShadowShifter

Reply by ShadowShifter

I can't get the music to play after I record the song...I hear it when I record but it does not play back when I am reviewing it...What can be wrong?
ThanksNickyp
right click on your volume icon on your task bar and then click open volume controls then once there go to options then properties put a click in the recording control then look in the list and put check marks only in stereo mix and mic if you dont see stereo mix look for digital .... or as explained at the first topic in this thread it could be called "what i hear" Wav or Aux.....the stereo mix or whatever you may have is your recording level if it is muted then you wont hear it play back because it simply cant record it....this may have been no help to you at all if not go to the first page of this thread and look for tips there.

ShadowShifter

Reply by ShadowShifter

hi i am using a laptop while on vacation and i am not able to record sound either, just voice-this xp system has no stereo mix as an option either. Only cd volume, line in and mic-any suggestions anyone?cowen4
have you opened volume control and went to properties and then options and then put a tick in recording and hit ok .....after that you will have to put a check mark in the white box that pops up to be able to use them and you only need two and those two would be either stero mix and mic or digital and mic or aux and mic or what i hear and mic uncheck all the others in recording control but the two...if these are not in recording control then the laptop may not have a quality onboard sound ..but i have seen really cheap laptops that has these option in them so if yours dont then i would suggest doing a google search of your name brand laptop or calling the maker of the laptop.

Andragon

Reply by Andragon

I have free long distance to Canada.LAngeloMysterioso

How the heck did you do that? =0 .. Rogers?

kntrysngr

Reply by kntrysngr

No matter what I place my settings at, I still hear very little of the music. What am I doing wrong? I have a creative sound blaster PCI. I guess that is what my sound card is. Can you help me? Thanks!!

eleni

Reply by eleni

hi..pls i need help! i have windows vista and when i turn on the mic and start recording i only record my voice not the playback music...how can i make it work..?? i would really appreciate any help!! thx

mystikangel999

Reply by mystikangel999

Hello Eleni...
Just listened to two of your songs, Landing in London and your most recent song, (very beautiful voice you have!) and I didn't see where you had that problem, the voice and music sounded great?

All I can tell you is to keep looking in the Recording Helps & Tips...or perhaps this sticky:

http://www.singsnap.com/snap/forum/topic/aa373f

Hopefully, you can find something to solve your problem...:-)

zippergirl

Reply by zippergirl

(This is a short blog I wrote about sound properties on your PC. Maybe it will help somebody, maybe it won't, but I thought I would share it in case it will be helpful to some.)

Most might be familiar with the way Windows XP controls sound, but I thought I would put what I know in a blog so some could reference it if needed.

First, a note on sound cards. There are usually 3 connections to a sound card; Mike, Line and Out. Mike and line are "inputs", and Out is of course an output that generally goes to your speakers. Most will likely just put their microphone directly into the "Mike" input. Some who use effects devices like an echo may input their microphone into such a device and place the output of that device into the "Line" input to the sound card.

Your "Sound properties" are the combination of "Volume control" and "Recording control".

Also, realize that any software you are using to play/record the song you are doing is actually just manipulating the controls explained here in "Sound properties". This includes the player/recorder you are using on a site. That is just a software program. Some people are using software they have to record the song rather than the site`s recorder.

Now Volume.

You access the "Sound properties" by double clicking on the little speaker icon at the very lower right of your screen where the time of day is displayed.

This will pop-up a window called "Volume control". This window controls what comes out your speakers.

The far left slider is "Volume control" itself. This should usually be all the way up. It is the master control for all the sound coming out to your speakers.

The next one is "Wave". Wave is generally any sound file your computer is playing. So you can adjust this to control how loud the background music is when you sing to a karaoke song because the song is actually a file being played.

The "Line in" slider controls your microphone volume if you used the "Line" connection of your sound card (used probably if you used an effects device).

On the far right is the "Microphone" output. This controls how loud your singing is coming through your microphone and out the speakers. (used if you went directly into the "Mike" input of your sound card)

By adjusting the output of the music (Wave, slider) and your voice through the microphone (Line or Microphone, slider), you affect the balance of the music to your vocals. So, if your music is fine but your vocals are too low adjust your "Microphone (or Line in)" slider in to get it the way you want it.

This also determines how loud the song will be that you hear while you are recording.

One note on headphones. It is better to use headphones because if you use your speakers when you record your microphone will pick up the sound coming out of them, to some degree, as you record. Using headphones, the microphone only records your voice. Better.

Now recording.

To access the recording properties, on this "Volume control" window, click "Options" at the upper left. This brings a drop-down menu. Click on "properties" from that menu. This pops another small window called "Properties" believe it or not. From that window notice the "playback" button is selected. Now you select the "Recording" button instead. Click "Okay". Now your original "Volume control" window has been replaced by a "Recording control" window.

The "Stereo mix" slider controls how much level you are recording at. (Be sure this check-box is checked.) This is how well the recording function "hears" the settings you have made in "Volume control".

If your recordings are coming out distorted this slider is too high. It`s like your music is being screamed into the recorders ear. Turn the "Stereo mix" slider down little by little until your recordings don`t distort.

So the "Volume control" is how loud you are singing/playing your music and the balance of the music to your voice.

The "Recording control" is how well you are being heard by the recorder.

I hope this helps somebody .LAngeloMysterioso

you have no idea how helpfull you were to me. your instructions were so easy to follow. took my only 5 min. to get my recorder to work . i was getting the music but not my voice when i played it back, but thanks to you and your easy to follow instructions everything is working fine.thank you so much. zippergirl

tije

Reply by tijeGOLD

NOW I've got problems with my SOUND....New computer with Windows Vista..... Does anybody now how to make this program work with SS??? I've tried many things, but it doesn't look like XP at all, and I'm lost.... I also got a program named Acer HD Audio Manager, and tried several things, but nothing works, and I'm about droppin' out of my singing career....darn....c",) Tina

tije

Reply by tijeGOLD

NOW I've got problems with my SOUND....New computer with Windows Vista..... Does anybody now how to make this program work with SS??? I've tried many things, but it doesn't look like XP at all, and I'm lost.... I also got a program named Acer HD Audio Manager, and tried several things, but nothing works, and I'm about droppin' out of my singing career....darn....c",) Tinatije

OK, found another thread about vista, so I'll try that and see what happens.....;-)

sds31

Reply by sds31

I suddenly seem to have a problem and wondering if it's the site; my voice recording is not playing back; seems to be no sound.... I will try rebooting and see if anything different happens though...

sds31

Reply by sds31

ah a reboot did the trick.... maybe ran outta ram...

u2pifas

Reply by u2pifas

Thanks for the help, but I am still having trouble with the playback. I hear my voice, but not the music. What am I doing wrong? Thanks

loloy

Reply by loloy

Right my problem is when i try to record a song its not right as i can only hear myself and the tune through the web cam but there is loads of background noise. 1st>> do i turn the cam off 2nd>>if i do u wont be able to see me singing.3rd>> i go into settings in my cam and click on the font Pink slot to get my sound But the music wont be herd when i sing.. when i go into cam settings i cant find the sound card so i wonder if thats the problem..i have done everything that people have posted on here but still cant get both 2 work the only way i can sing on here and that is with both sound and voice is through WEB Cam...I dont understand why !!! i have again tried everything posted on the site looked and checked the settings.. So i really think its to do with my web cam or the settings..
Please can anyone help me solve this terrible problem i have .. I love this site and want to sing loads more songs.. i sing on the Xfactor too but thats alll ok no problems. please Help me Im losing my Marbles and my new wife of only a month old ...lol( married that is) as my gets upset that i spend to many hours trying to sort this problem out .. i do have a Mic, and a headset with mic attached. Please Help me !!! HarryHornet

Cajun77

Reply by Cajun77

I just recently purchased a Sound Blaster USB MP3 + Audio and no where in my settings is there something for What You Hear or Stereo Mix, does anyone have this product and could offer some help as to what to do? The audio quality is wonderful, but it's either no voice or no music. thanks

PK

Reply by PK

ok so what if my stereo mix and microphone are both on my recording playback? i cant check both of them, so i have music and no mic or a mic and no music... can you pleaseeeee help me? I have a sigmatel sound card and just downloaded the updated drivers and finally got the stereo mix in there and now i cant use it... im soooo confused! Any help would be great at this point as i am about ready to throw this laptop out the window *smiles* lol

paul66

Reply by paul66

when i press playback my voice and the music the sound is going higher and lower

T-Trucker

Reply by T-Trucker

I have been reading a lot of this, and I believe I have understood most of what is being said. However, I am still having a problem with playback. I hear my voice when I record, but no music. I think I can hear it very faintly in the background. I've checked the "Wave" and it is not muted, and the slider is all the way to the top(just for the record Windows XP). I have the mic adjusted almost all the way to the bottom, I have a very strong voice. In some of the recordings I have reviewed, my voice is still overpowering. I have the record level only about 1/4 up from the bottom, and the music level turned all the way up. Still no music on playback. Yes I can hear my voice and the music through the speakers (headset phones), while I am recording. I've also tried this by goin in to do a duet with Mr_Rooster_Cruiser, with some sucess, but then when I went back to try to record myself, back to square one! I am really getting frustrated on this. This is supposed to be FUN?

Brandi_Jesmer

Edited reply by Brandi_Jesmer

I need help, when I record,and go play it back everything cuts in and out, it sounds awful, I tried everything, does anybody know anything I can to to fix this?

sweetlittle1963

Edited reply by sweetlittle1963

i am having a problem with playback. I hear my voice when I record, but no music. I think I can hear it very faintly in the background.

sweetlittle1963

Reply by sweetlittle1963

hi i'm having trouble all away around now and i don't know what i done now i can't record nothing i hear the music when i record but it doesnt record now i have windows xp can someone help me tell me what to check and not to check so i don't give up on here plz it works on paltalk but i just cant get it to work on here.
help me plzzzzzz

Susy

Reply by Susy

Like the Vista users I am having the same problem.I record the song and can EITHER get voice only on playback or if I adjust settings I get Music only.Never the two together,Has anyone been successful with this? I had no problem on XP.Please help or send me a Vista link.

LadyRanger

Reply by LadyRanger

hi i was able 2 record an now my mic dont work it did a few min last night the all at onece it quite hope u can help my setting are fine thx if u can help LadyRanger if u can send me a message thx

SherLou

Reply by SherLou

I just bought an ELectro voice mic its USB we plugged it in with a reg mic cord by using an end that changes the usb to a regular plug....well its distorted and the music is way to loud and my voice is low and distorted what do I need to change I have the Usb plug still if needed ty SherLou It's plugged into the pc in the back in the pink plug connection hole

Babytan

Reply by Babytan

I am new and have a headset with two jacks..I assume one is the sound and one the mic, but when I try all 3 holes in the back of the computer, nothing works and the sound levels stay even....any ideas? email to hatman2000@hotmail.com

jas42679

Reply by jas42679

any help with windows vista??

stewart20

Reply by stewart20

i have windows vista and when i click on the speaker in the right corner it gives me speakers, windows sounds, singsnap sounds properties nothing about what u hear or anything. I have bought 2 mics and can not get them to work. If anyone knows how to fix my problem i would greatly appreciate the help. My name is stewart20

michele1

Reply by michele1

I NEED HELP WITH WINDOWS VISTA ALSO ...PLEASE

megz

Edited reply by megz

hey could any one help me? my mic is plugged in and u can hear me speaking thro the speakers but when i come to sing on here, it is not picking the sound up, and i dont no how to fix this.i am on windows xp btw.please could someone help me thanks megz x

venupokala

Reply by venupokala

what my town

venupokala

Reply by venupokala

hey could any one help me? my mic is plugged in and u can hear me speaking thro the speakers but when i come to sing on here, it is not picking the sound up, and i dont no how to fix this.i am on windows xp btw.please could someone help me thanks megz xmegz

venupokala

Reply by venupokala

ok

venupokala

Reply by venupokala

I am using windows xp. I do hear the music come out the speakers but not the vocals.. I have no software for my usb mic.... Should I be using a different mic? I was using a hand held one that came with my karaoke machine player but wa having the same problem
paperbagprincess

Previous Next