Sound Properties

This topic is listed in Recording Help & Tips.
It has been viewed 139,524 times and 572 replies have been made.

- Next
LAngeloMysterioso

Post by LAngeloMysterioso

(This is a short blog I wrote about sound properties on your PC. Maybe it will help somebody, maybe it won't, but I thought I would share it in case it will be helpful to some.)

Most might be familiar with the way Windows XP controls sound, but I thought I would put what I know in a blog so some could reference it if needed.

First, a note on sound cards. There are usually 3 connections to a sound card; Mike, Line and Out. Mike and line are "inputs", and Out is of course an output that generally goes to your speakers. Most will likely just put their microphone directly into the "Mike" input. Some who use effects devices like an echo may input their microphone into such a device and place the output of that device into the "Line" input to the sound card.

Your "Sound properties" are the combination of "Volume control" and "Recording control".

Also, realize that any software you are using to play/record the song you are doing is actually just manipulating the controls explained here in "Sound properties". This includes the player/recorder you are using on a site. That is just a software program. Some people are using software they have to record the song rather than the site`s recorder.

Now Volume.

You access the "Sound properties" by double clicking on the little speaker icon at the very lower right of your screen where the time of day is displayed.

This will pop-up a window called "Volume control". This window controls what comes out your speakers.

The far left slider is "Volume control" itself. This should usually be all the way up. It is the master control for all the sound coming out to your speakers.

The next one is "Wave". Wave is generally any sound file your computer is playing. So you can adjust this to control how loud the background music is when you sing to a karaoke song because the song is actually a file being played.

The "Line in" slider controls your microphone volume if you used the "Line" connection of your sound card (used probably if you used an effects device).

On the far right is the "Microphone" output. This controls how loud your singing is coming through your microphone and out the speakers. (used if you went directly into the "Mike" input of your sound card)

By adjusting the output of the music (Wave, slider) and your voice through the microphone (Line or Microphone, slider), you affect the balance of the music to your vocals. So, if your music is fine but your vocals are too low adjust your "Microphone (or Line in)" slider in to get it the way you want it.

This also determines how loud the song will be that you hear while you are recording.

One note on headphones. It is better to use headphones because if you use your speakers when you record your microphone will pick up the sound coming out of them, to some degree, as you record. Using headphones, the microphone only records your voice. Better.

Now recording.

To access the recording properties, on this "Volume control" window, click "Options" at the upper left. This brings a drop-down menu. Click on "properties" from that menu. This pops another small window called "Properties" believe it or not. From that window notice the "playback" button is selected. Now you select the "Recording" button instead. Click "Okay". Now your original "Volume control" window has been replaced by a "Recording control" window.

The "Stereo mix" slider controls how much level you are recording at. (Be sure this check-box is checked.) This is how well the recording function "hears" the settings you have made in "Volume control".

If your recordings are coming out distorted this slider is too high. It`s like your music is being screamed into the recorders ear. Turn the "Stereo mix" slider down little by little until your recordings don`t distort.

So the "Volume control" is how loud you are singing/playing your music and the balance of the music to your voice.

The "Recording control" is how well you are being heard by the recorder.

I hope this helps somebody .

TexasSinger

Reply by TexasSinger

LAngeloMysterioso, thanks for a great tutorial. Many of us are novices at singing or recording online, so this will be very helpful. Once I learn a little more about this process, I'm going to try adding a song myself! (Even though I'm not a very good singer, I'm going to give it a go. After all, isn't that the main thing karaoke is good for: giving non-pros a chance to be heard by an audience?)

Thanks again for a fantastic post.

LAngeloMysterioso

Reply by LAngeloMysterioso

You're welcome and thanks for the kind words. I know some may know more about this than I but I didn't see anything posted about it so I sprang into action .

One note. I'm sure the staff here can clarify this if need be.

The recorder here is outstanding. Best I've seen.

It appears the slider on the recorder adjusts the overall input to the recorder. So your mixing (instrumental and vocal) are done on your PC. Many of these recorders have the mixing built in to the recorder and that just complicates matters.

This recorder does not change any of the Windows "sound properties" that I have detected.

Get your balance (music and vocals) set the way you want on your PC while trying the song and then just be sure the recorder slider doesn't peg (hit the top of the window) at the loud parts.

moonchild0608

Reply by moonchild0608

Awesome.....thank you so much for the advice. You spoke in clear English for us less mechanically inclinded and I "think" I understand it a little better.....now I am gonna go see how much my brain actually processed and see if I can fix some of my sound problems!

paperbagprincess

Reply by paperbagprincess

I am still having problems recording. WOuld you please help me.. Thanks.. My mic is through a usb port in my computer. That works well the problem is when I record I only hear myself. So, I have to place the mic between me and my speakers to get both vocals and music. I don't have an option on my sound card for "what u hear". I also wanna know if it is possible to also use headphones. If you can help it would be much appreciated. Thanks again!

peachygurl

Reply by peachygurlGOLD

Paperbagprincess, the WAVE setting in also labeled "What I Hear" or "WAVE out" or "Stereo Mix" on some computers. This particular setting is in the recording settings on your volume control. To record here on singsnap, you need to have that checked when you start to record. It sounds like your "input" is set for mic and that is why you are not getting the music as a backing track.

paperbagprincess

Thanks so much peachygirl. I will try that! Thanks for the advice..

paperbagprincess

peachygurll.. I tried it and the music won't go through.. Maybe I am still doing something wrong.. I don't know.. I'll try to figure it out.. Thanks again though

LAngeloMysterioso

Okay PBP, we need to know a few things.

Are you using Windows XP?

Forget the recording for a minute. Does the music and your voice in the microphone come out the speakers while you sing and play the song?

You use the USB port for mike input. Is there software that came with the mike for that?

Peachy, the "Stereo mix" is a "RECORDING properety" while "wave" or "wave out" or "What I hear" (never heard of that one) are "VOLUME properties".

I find it hard to believe, since computers have "Stereo mix" as a "Recording property", that others would use the same term as a "Volume property".

paperbagprincess

I am using windows xp. I do hear the music come out the speakers but not the vocals.. I have no software for my usb mic.... Should I be using a different mic? I was using a hand held one that came with my karaoke machine player but wa having the same problem

paperbagprincess

oops..typo.. it should say "but was having the same problems" sorry about that

peachygurl

Reply by peachygurlGOLD

LAngeloMysterioso,
It is easy to tell you know a lot about how to manipulate these settings. However, I had two friends both with Windows XP that could not find "Stereo Mix" as one of their recording choices. Upon having them list every one of them and several Google searches later, I finally found that "Wav Out" and "What I Hear" are indeed to alternate lables for that RECORDING property. However in my before adequate coffee post earlier, I did present that as very confusing and even made a major mistake of saying "Wave" goes by those names. It is "Stereo Mix" does. Mea Culpa!

paperbagprincess

Would it work better if I plug an ampo into my computer? Would that work? I can stillh only record by placing my mic to my speakers and leaning in.. Should I plug my stereo into my computer? Just trying to weigh in my options

LAngeloMysterioso

No worries Peachy, we're just trying to figure this out. It's not about being right or wrong, it's just about helping each other .

This is my guess. Windows reacts with a somewhat different menu of adjustments based on the sound card. So, some of the terms in the blog will be different from machine to machine.

That helps make it even more complicated .

PBP, if you want to try to figure this out by voice I have some time this evening. PM me with either a number to call or just let me know and I'll give you mine. I have free long distance to Canada.

I'll look into this more and post again.

What is your sound card?

paperbagprincess

I have a pci 4 chanel soundcard

LAngeloMysterioso

It seems paperbagprincess' problem was the USB mic she was using. We also determined her "Stereo mix" was not checked.

Initially she had a normal mic. But she could not record the music because her "Stereo mix" was not checked. But she did hear her vocals through the speakers and the vocals recorded.

When she installed the USB mic it was the same but she couldn't hear the vocals through the speakers. And even with "Stereo mix" checked she could still not record the music. Somehow that USB mic overrode everything.

After going back to the normal mic and having "Stereo mix" checked, all worked properly.

paperbagprincess

Welll. My problem is now solved ! Thanks so much for your help LAngeloMysterioso! Couldn't have done it with out you!

OhioTom

Reply by OhioTom

What if the Mike only works when mike box is clicked? It won't let me click stereo mix and Mike at the same time. If I click one, I get the other, but never both sound and music. Mike volume is up but still one or the other, Sound Max Card new PC... I see stereo mix, Mic and CD player in window.

LAngeloMysterioso

Ohio,

"Stereo mix" MUST be checked in your "Recording control" window. That's the only way you can record the "music". Not an option.

Is your mic going into the microphone input of your sound card? (or line?)

Is the mic volume slider up in the "Volume control" window? Is mute checked?

OhioTom

Reply by OhioTom

Have Mic in the mic port and mix is checked I do not see a mute in that window, is there some where mute may be checked off at?

Amusedmuse

Reply by Amusedmuse

I am having the same problem as OhioTom. I can't select my Wave Out Mix (I don't have a Stereo Mix) and my Microphone at the same time so I eaither hear the music or my voice but, never both at once. This is so frustrating

Amusedmuse

Reply by Amusedmuse

I just tried it on another computer and it still doesn't work. I have tried it both as a Mic in and Line in. I give up.

LAngeloMysterioso

Ohio and Amused, there are TWO windows.

One is "Volume control", the other is "Recording control.

The "mute" checkboxes are in the "Volume control" window. These must NOT be checked.

If either of you want some voice help with this PM me and give a number and I can call and try to help.

Maytag

Reply by Maytag

Thank You so much for your directions on recording. I found my problem!!

Maytag (Vic)

LadyMatika

Reply by LadyMatika

when I record a song I can hear the music while recording but playback there is nothing , and I'm about to give up , which sucks because I like this webpage , but if I can't sing what's the use

Neil

Reply by NeilGOLD

I have exactly the same issue. My recording control is selected on Stereo mix, I have nothing muted in the Playback area and I am on Flash 9.0. I can hear the music and my voice through my speakers but get no recording level showing as the song plays and there is nothing there for playback. What am I missing. I go to two other sites and record just fine.

LadyMatika

Reply by LadyMatika

me too, i can go to ksuperstar and record and it doesn't do the same as on here , haven't tried bix yet, their webpages stick,lol but I guess I'm gonna have to go there , dang it , i luv this place man

Neil

Reply by NeilGOLD

Just found that I can record if I allow singsnap access, so there is something with the Flash. It sounds like hell or I would settle. This place has the best song selection, but if they can't get everyone up and running easily, that would seem to me to be a problem.

LadyMatika

Reply by LadyMatika

yeah that's how I started out and now since I downloaded flash 9 and can't get it the heck off my computer nothing works

MrsChase

Reply by MrsChaseGOLD

I am using Windows XP and there are 2 mic jacks, one in front - one in back. I have a Realtek card, stereo mix is selected, I am using Windows XP and there are 2 mic jacks, one in front - one in back. Does not allow me to select Mic at the same time so very little sound coming from the mic at max volume. The music sounds great, but very little vocal, no matter what apparently. I can get the volume of the music to change, but the vocal seems to remain almost non-existant in proportion to the backing music. Please advise.

peachygurl

Reply by peachygurlGOLD

LadyMatika, Neil and MrsChase, I posted another tutorial on settings that may help you out a bit. It is in this same section.

MrsChase

Reply by MrsChaseGOLD

Hi again, mine seems to be working much better. I don't know about everyone else, but in my system under Sounds and Audio devices in the Voice tab there is an option to test hardware. In my particular case, the problem was that the Mic record was set high but the Mic playback was set in the middle. When I changed that I was better able to control sound in the Volume and recording menus! I hope this helps someone else!

LadyMatika

Reply by LadyMatika

my problem was in the volume control where I pushed on options and clicked on to properties and then clicked on to recording and took out the wave out mix now it's working great , although I keep having to push settings on my player and making sure the recording volume in settings and the record volume on my player are even or else it's louder than anybody can stand

LAngeloMysterioso

A note on the singsnap player/recorder.

You must allow singsnap access or it's not going to record. It will play the music and you'll hear your singing but it's nor recording without access because the singsnap recorder does have an adjust for recording level.

From what I can tell the slider adjust on the singsnap recorder is a "fine tuning" of the recording input level. Once you have your "Stereo mix (or, what I hear, on some systems?)" set at a decent level in "Recording control", the slider on the singsnap recorder should allow you to tweak it for each song to allow for some being louder than others. Just get the level indicator window on the singsnap recorder to be just reaching the top at the loudest parts of a song.

The balance of volume between the song and your singing is adjusted in "Volume control".

bobbyk

Reply by bobbyk

My mixer has 3 o/p channels - Record out, booth and main .

Which O/P channel would i use to line in to the computer ?
Thanks,
BK

LAngeloMysterioso

I would think "record". Seems like that output is expected to be input to a recorder, which would likely have an impedence similar to a sound card.

The easy way to know is try all 3 and see which works best. Check the documentation that came with it. That should describe each output and it's use.
For instance a "dry" output would be an output minus any "effects".

It is unlikely trying them all could hurt anything.

Locustthorn

Reply by LocustthornGOLD

I had a lot of problems on how to get the music and mike at the same level. To correct this I use a Y connector going into the Mike imput and have one mike set at the speakers and the other set for vocals. This seems to correct the problems that I have had in the past. Oh yes I do have a vol. control that comes with my speakers. Let me know how it workes for you.
Member locustthorn

Locustthorn

Reply by LocustthornGOLD

Oh one more thing, with the vol. control on my speakers I can adjust the vol of speakers and mike and all I have to do is use the mike adjustment for vol. and not worry about all the other adjustments

deedlerock

Reply by deedlerockGOLD

Wow...I so appreciate this thread...but now that I have followed it, I have gone from being able to record 'okay' to a totally tweeked system. How in the heck do I get back to my default settings...this sucks. I did the above steps and now I have terrible feedback. I can actually hear my scrolling....and the master volume control is on low! My mic was originally on mute, so apparently I was using 'line in'. Well, I clicked the mute away on the mic and got terrible feedback. So...I clicked it back to mute...and now I can't hear my recordings...sigh. What a mess! How do I get things back to default...whereby my recordings used line in rather than mic? Sigh. Hours of time trying to correct this tonight and no results...it just gets worse.

LAngeloMysterioso

deedlrock,

In the "Volume control" window you should not need to "mute" anything. Whether you are actually going "in" to "line" or "mic" on the sound card should be independently controlled by separate sliders.

In "Recording control" only "Stereo mix" is checked. (or "What U Hear” or "WAV out”).

If you are getting feedback that means that the mic (a mic is the same thing as a speaker by the way) is too close to the speaker. You can reduce this by either moving the mic away from the speaker or turning the speakers volume down (at the speaker, not from the computer).

This is why headphones are best. They eliminate feedback and also keep the music from being re-recorded through the mic. Better sound.

You can get headphones at the dollar store that will work.

Alan

Reply by Alan

Hi i was following along pretty well there but my controls are not the same as yours i am using the xp media edition and i don't have the line in option and i don't have the microphone output option and the recorder controlls are different also. i am not sure what to do and am kinda going crazy lol when i tried to sing the music sounded fine but when i tried to play it back i could barely hear the music or my voice
Thank you for the info though i suppose i will figure it out eventually.

LAngeloMysterioso

If you read my tutorial, in the "properties" window there is a button for "playback" and "recording". As you click each of these there are checkboxes below which determine what "sliders" will be available in each your "Volume control" and "Recording control". Perhaps you can find the right things you need there. Maybe they just aren't checked.

You can also check out Peachy's post which has pictures that might make this clearer for you.

http://www.singsnap.com/index.cfm?wheels=/messageboard/topic/213

Hope that helps.

tunefulterri

Reply by tunefulterriGOLD

This tutorial was a big help for me--Thanks mush. Now if I could get my microphone to work on this site.

doreen

Reply by doreenPATRON

wow i had my sound when i recorded a song now its gone what happened to it and what do i do one minute its there and the next it s gone have no clue what to do i recored servaral songs and now i can't hear the sound just my voice .i did every thing that i could think of and now i'm stuck again ,any one out there can they please help me thank you ,,,,,,,,,,,Doreen

woodsiemama

Reply by woodsiemama

i am new at this. i have a logitec with built-in microphone. i record but when it plays back the music sounds like a robot with the hiccups and so does my voice. this is very frustrating. this sounds like a lot of fun but i can't seem to record. help

ladyironside

Reply by ladyironsideGOLD

I have very faint music playback and my voice is very loud I have adjusted and adjusted but nothing seems to work HELP?

LAngeloMysterioso

It is important to read the tutorial CAREFULLY. Take one sentence at a time and don't go on to the next until you are sure you understand. The terms are a bit hard to understand as they are talkong about several different windows with different adjustments on each.

lady----When misic playback is faint, it usually means you have to turn your "Wave" slider up in "Volume control".

wood----As far as the logitech with the built in mic, where is it built in? The speakers? Does the music and singing sound fine while you record?

doreen----- did you go through the tutorial carefully again? Can you not hear the music when you record or after. Check to be sure "Wave" is not checked to "mute" in "Volume control".

STAT_SUEof_LYRICLY

Reply by STAT_SUEof_LYRICLYGOLD

I can hear myself but no music can you help?

cherylb

Reply by cherylb

To anyone who can help me: I seem to be able to record and playback but the playback is jumpy...as if it was trying to get through buffering...but that isn't the problem I'm sure. I followed Flash instructions on setting the local storage for the site on "unlimited" because Flash indicated if you didn't, it could cause the halting playback. But even though I set it for "unlimited" storage for singsnap, it still plays back in a halting manner. Can anyone advise me how to get a smooth playback? On ksolo, I don't have this problem at all. Help!! I like singsnap and want to be able to use it!! Thanks.

cherylb

Reply by cherylb

This is Cherylb...I found my problem...for anyone else who is having playback or recording or listening that sounds halting or breaks up...try this...it WORKED!!! Right click on the Singsnap player...a menu will appear...go down to "Quality"....mine had a check mark by "Medium"....CHANGE THIS....to "Low." This completely solved my problem. The only problem is...you have to do this every time you want to record or playback...or listen to others...if you are getting the breaking up problem...because...for some reason, even though you change it, it defaults to "Medium" all over again. If anyone can tell me how to adjust the default, I would be most appreciative. But even with this little problem, I am HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY because now I can use this site with NO problems! Glory Be!!!

karaokesuperstar57

Reply by karaokesuperstar57

HI I AM KARAOKESUPERSTAR57 I HAVE THE SAME TROUBLE WHEN I RECORD A SONG LIKE I DID TONIGHT WITH UNCHAINED MELODY I RECORDED IT WITH MUSIC BUT WHEN I REVIEWED IT THERE WAS NO MUSIC JUST MY VOICE AND IT SOUNDED TERRIBLE WHAT DO I DO CAN SOMEONE WHO KNOWS ABOUT COM[UTER TECHNOWLOGY CAN THEY HELP ME PLEASE.

- Next