Improved Recorder problems?

This topic is listed in Website Problems & Help.
It has been viewed 48,087 times and 1,800 replies have been made.

- Next
Jason

Edited post by JasonSTAFF +3 +1

EDIT: SEE THIS POST:

http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/forum/topic/9f10f5f0?page=a01dd#reply_b4c0a512

I'm looking for posts / information from people for whom the Improved Recorder doesn't work.

IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU TELL ME ABOUT YOUR COMPUTER: WHAT VERSION OF WINDOWS, FLASH, AND EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENS. Otherwise, I'll just have to ask you since I can't do anything without that information.

Please only post in this thread if the improved recorder is NOT WORKING. If you have some feedback or more improvements you'd like to see, it would be best to send a message to SingSnapSupport.

Thanks everyone!

rocknrollniglet

Reply by rocknrollniglet

The new recorder wont load for me!

Jason

Reply by JasonSTAFF +3 +1

Pm'ing you, rocknrollniglet.

JamaicaJim

Reply by JamaicaJimGOLD

I don't use the 'new' recorder at all. I set the 'level' and when I get a bit louder, it reduces the volume - so far so good, but it doesn't return the volume to the correct level, and the rest of the song is not loud enough. The balance WILL NOT correct this, so after re-recording each song I sang a number of times, I just gave up on the new recorder. P.S. The lyric adjustment is good - I haven't had to use it. JJ

Katie-and-Dennis

Edited reply by Katie-and-Dennis

Edited.....will sent it to recording support....my prob is a volume one....it works fine for me otherwise......

Jason

JamaicaJim, you can turn this auto correction of the level off by unselecting "clipping protection" on the lower right.

CKat

Edited reply by CKatGOLD

I have several problems with the new still so I don't use it.

1. It takes WAY too long to load, far longer than the original. I've adjusted all my settings in your wizard to medium even though it says all is very high speed. It's better but not good. The original recorder loads quickly.
2. The music slurs on playback. I record and when I want to hear it on playback, the music slurs in places. It's like if you were to play a record on a turntable and keep your hand on it to slow it down... I never saved them to hear if it still does it there because it doesn't matter, if I can't hear my recording properly on playback, I would never want to save it. It's also seems to only slur the music, my voice is not effected.
3. The sound is duller than the original, not as bright.... or so it seems to me. Also volume, I do not like the clipping protection at all. I did turn that off but heard no real changes to music quality and the slurring and loading were still issues.

I have DSL with SBC, they're still in the dark ages here in LA, CA, I know but it's what I have... speedtest just now:
1.29mbps download, 0.32mbps upload

My computer:
Windows 7
AMD Athlon 64 processor 3500+ 2.20 GHz
RAM 3.00 GB

Adobe Flash: Active X ver 11.1.102.55, Plug In ver 11.1.102.62

Anti Virus is: Microsoft Security Essentials (recommended by Geeks above Norton)

If you need to know anything else, Jason, please PM me. Thanks.

Jason

Katie are you talking about "Show Me Heaven"?

Katie-and-Dennis

Reply by Katie-and-Dennis

Yes!...thats the one Jason......

I know it sounds ok now....but take a look at where the slider is......its almost at the end.....

Jason

Edited reply by JasonSTAFF +3 +1

CKat:

For 1. What exactly takes a long time to load? IE, what do you see while you're waiting. Dots, spinning circles, nothing?

edit: are you talking about loading the SONG itself? That would make total sense as the audio files are larger. That's something I might want to address anyway, so if that was your point.. well, good point!!

For 2. I assume you're talking about during the Mixer phase? Can you please save a record with this problem so I can trouble shoot it?

For 3. In fact, the new recorder uses much higher quality audio than the old, and the recordings use better settings for the mixer. Otherwise, the mixing process is the same.

Also, is this with or without video, or does it matter?

Jason

Katie, the voice in that song is quite quiet, and while it's over to the left, with this recorder the music isn't actually all that quiet. (Due to the scale of how the volume is determined, very technical, won't get into here lol.)

Nice song btw.

Katie-and-Dennis

Reply by Katie-and-Dennis

I know what you mean.....but the voice is determined by the clipping thingy....and when I record....it takes the button way down on the recording level......

Its not a biggie anyway....as long as it works...lol....

And thx

CKat

Edited reply by CKatGOLD

Hi Jason. Thanks for the quick response.
As I can remember:

When I click to record, spinning wheels or something like that, appear. It says BUFFER 0% and continues till the recorder finally appears. I would say it takes 10-15 seconds. Too long for we to wait around, truthfully. Why so long?

Mixer phase.... well I don't use your mixer as it never worked for me. I don't use your stereo thing, it never syncs right and I have no time to waste on it any more. It also seems to separate the drum beats on some songs that make it really sound horrid on playback. I've heard people who have saved songs like this, sounds bad. I did try the stereo mixer with the new recorder hoping it was improved but the problems were still there.

The recorder appears, I click RECORD. I sing. I click on To Hear My Recording... or whatever it says. I listen The music slurs in places, not everywhere, just suddenly it will slow down or slur. It will go in and out of this. Again, I have never saved one of these recordings and I don't have time to be fudging around with trying again and again so I just use the original. I will try it at some point to record with the new and save one for you but the reality is, even if it doesn't slur after saved, I cannot hear my recording properly to know if I should save it. I don't want to save something and post it to the feature page without hearing it first. Does this make sense? I will try to record something for you as you ask but what it sounds like in save has little to no value, I need to hear it before it's saved.

I believe you when you say your new recorder uses much higher quality audio that the old one, I guess my ears are just old fashioned... as I don't hear it. It must be my system but it's all updated so not sure what it could be.

CKat

Reply by CKatGOLD

Yes, I also see others having problems with the volume levels and sound quality. It's the clipping protection. I have turned it off but it still has an effect on the sound, it dulls it and the volume is not right at all. I think you should get rid of that feature. I don't see it as necessary, anyway. If people can't stand a proper distance from their mic or set their own volume levels.... well, I have to wonder if they should even be posting any of their songs for the public to hear...

Jason

Ckat,

The buffering is two effects: one, the music file is larger, therefore slower to load (and your internet is a touch slow). Second, the old recorder didn't HAVE a buffering system. If the playback happened to exceed what was loaded, the playback would stutter. The buffer system fixes this. You can OVERRIDE this by just pushing play (it appears paused when buffering).

The slurring issue: saving a bad recording may help me figure out where the problem is, but I suspect since the Mixer doesn't work that its an issue on your machine or network. This is another permutation of the "dropout" issue.

If you hear the music in the background without mixing, then you're recording the music and mic at the same time and "Enable Music" can't be used as you'll hear the "doubled up music" problem as you know.

In order for us to move forward, the Original Recording is going to be phased out of use. So that's why I want to fix problems where I can before it's gone.

Jason

Yes, I also see others having problems with the volume levels and sound quality. It's the clipping protection. I have turned it off but it still has an effect on the sound, it dulls it and the volume is not right at all. I think you should get rid of that feature. I don't see it as necessary, anyway. If people can't stand a proper distance from their mic or set their own volume levels.... well, I have to wonder if they should even be posting any of their songs for the public to hear... CKat

All that does is literally slide the knob down in the recorder; nothing else. Turning off clipping protection means its off. That last bit is a little harsh; can we please keep this on topic?

tunecke

Reply by tuneckeGOLD

Shockober....Wk 4 ...Metalhead or Living Dead....which one will you be??????

I get no sound at all.....no music at all...

JOHNG

Reply by JOHNGGOLD

The sound is fine,but I get no picture when recording.My computer is a Mac OS and I have a built in camera and a Logitech webcam.Have run the setup wizard two times,but still no picture.The original recorder worked with no problems. Hope you can help.

fifi47

Reply by fifi47GOLD

TAKES TO LONG TO LOAD SOUND COMES OUT WRONG VOICE TOO LOUD MUSIC TOO LOUD CANT SEEM TO GET IT RIGHT ALSO NOT COMPATIBLE WITH MY SOUND BOARD CANT EVEN USE IT AT ALL DOUBLES VOICE AND MUSIC IS NOT IN TIME

idleheid

Reply by idleheidGOLD

The new "improved" one ALWAYS messes up my singing and the instrumentals are WAY off, I can't fix it. The original has a few problems but I really REALLY don't like the new one. I just played something on my computer to record on here, practicing something, an original... before they matched up fine...that is what I would expect with instrumentals off my own computer and your site (Though some people said they had trouble hearing it, it worked fine for a lot of people.) I tried it with the improved one, and my instrumentals were COMPLETELY off with my voice. Its getting incredibly frustrating. If it aint broke, don't fix it! WOuld be nice if there weren't problems with the new one but I DEFINATELY don't see it as improved at all.

Jason

I get no sound at all.....no music at all...tunecke

Can you clarify this? Do you see lyrics? What version of Flash do you have installed?

daytripzip

Reply by daytripzipGOLD +1

I was a nobody til somebody loved me. Thanks baby!! <3

Why don't you Resolve all the Issues with the New Recorder/Mixer before you "Phase Out" the Old one.
I get Excellent Recording Results with the Old Mixer.
I Hate This Clipping Message that Pops Up and Stays on my Screen when their is not One Damn Bit of Distortion in the Mix.
The Human Ear is a finely tuned Instrument and an Automated set of Computer Instructions falls Far Short of that.
Compression does not allow for a True High Fidelity Dynamic Range in a Recording. Distortion is actually a Desirable Effect at Times but the Clipping Message Most ANNOYINGLY Pops up even with there isn't Distortion or Overload!

Jason

The sound is fine,but I get no picture when recording.My computer is a Mac OS and I have a built in camera and a Logitech webcam.Have run the setup wizard two times,but still no picture.The original recorder worked with no problems. Hope you can help.JOHNG

When you run the Improved Wizard, you must select the camera from the drop down boxes. The default is to select no camera, in case selecting it crashes the computer (which happens for some people).

Jason

TAKES TO LONG TO LOAD SOUND COMES OUT WRONG VOICE TOO LOUD MUSIC TOO LOUD CANT SEEM TO GET IT RIGHT ALSO NOT COMPATIBLE WITH MY SOUND BOARD CANT EVEN USE IT AT ALL DOUBLES VOICE AND MUSIC IS NOT IN TIME fifi47

I'll look at addressing the load times. The doubled music problem is the same as the old recorder; uncheck "Enable Music" in the mixer.

daytripzip

And just to make myself Clear, the Clipping Detected Message pops up even with the Filter Turned Off.... It's Turned off for a Reason.... Hello??????

CKat

Reply by CKatGOLD

Hi Jason. Not sure what you mean about the old recorder stuttering as I never had that problem. I can't override anything by pushing play if there is no recorder with a play button to push. I must wait 10-15 seconds to see a recorder. Yes, my internet is slow but that is not in my control, it's SBC (although they insist it's very fast!). They still use copper wires, only if you're very close to the main office can you get fiber optic. Who knows when they'll get around to upgrading and I'm in a major metropolitan area but more than 5 miles or so from their main office...

I don't enable music. I record WHAT YOU HEAR. I know about doubled music. As I said, I don't use your mixer, it doesn't sync. I can record a song with slurs but even if it saves without slurs, I will not use it because I need to hear the recording before saving it. I'll post a link to a song here when I can, will try today.

Yes, sorry about being truthful, I know it's not always easy to hear. I'm only being honest though and trying to help. Many think things but don't say them, this is one of those things. I apologize if it hurts anyone's feelings but sometimes this will happen when speaking honestly. I didn't say it to hurt, I thought by speaking truthfully, it would give merit to my suggestion. I had never heard anyone complain about vocal volume before nor did I ever have a problem with controlling it so to even see this feature added totally baffled me.... If someone's recording was too loud, I simply lowered the volume on my end... Anyway....

I'll try to save a slurred recording but again, if it doesn't save slurred not sure what else can be done. It's probably my slow SBC internet connection then and I'll just have to listen and not record. Thanks again.

dragonfly_jane_1

Reply by dragonfly_jane_1GOLD +1

Hi there Jason, I have a Gateway computer with an and intell Pentium operating system, And windows Vista! I have no picture with my Logitech WebCam 93000. I have no sound either. Original recorder works just fine! Hope you can help!

Jason

Why don't you Resolve all the Issues with the New Recorder/Mixer before you "Phase Out" the Old one. daytripzip

Well, that's what I'm doing.

I Hate This Clipping Message that Pops Up and Stays on my Screen when their is not One Damn Bit of Distortion in the Mix.
The Human Ear is a finely tuned Instrument and an Automated set of Computer Instructions falls Far Short of that.
Compression does not allow for a True High Fidelity Dynamic Range in a Recording. Distortion is actually a Desirable Effect at Times but the Clipping Message Most ANNOYINGLY Pops up even with there isn't Distortion or Overload! daytripzip

The clipping message occurs when the signal's maximum potential is met, it, the signal is at 100%. Audible distortion may not be perceptible until clipping is extreme, but the clipping is there none-the-less.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipping_(signal_processing)

You can disable the clipping protection on the lower right, and disable compression by unchecking the "Make Me Sound Better" button.

I could possibly make it so the message doesn't show up when the clipping protection button is unchecked. Would that be better?

Jason

And just to make myself Clear, the Clipping Detected Message pops up even with the Filter Turned Off.... It's Turned off for a Reason.... Hello?????? daytripzip

Hello?

Yes, the reason is to tell you that even though the system will not turn down the volume automatically, clipping IS occurring. You can decide what to do about it; it's not forcing you to do anything.

daytripzip

Hi Jason,

Yes, if you could disable the Clipping Detected message from Popping up when the Filter is turned off, that would be most helpful.
It's a Huge Distraction when I'm trying to record to have that pop up.
Thanks!

Rick

D-TUNES

Reply by D-TUNESGOLD

The mouth is never in sinc with the words...I like the old one....Kinda like watching a Kung Foo movie....

Jason

I must wait 10-15 seconds to see a recorder. CKat

This isn't your internet connection, so it could be something I could fix. If you'd like to troubleshoot this more, send me a PM.

As I said, I don't use your mixer, it doesn't sync. CKat

That mixing doesn't sync is the same root cause as the slurred audio. (Technically, its out of order keyframes in the recording.) Saving a recording in which YOU hear the slurring, regardless of what you think I'll hear, will be helpful to me.

Yes, sorry about being truthfulCKat

My remark was in response to your comment "I have to wonder if they should even be posting any of their songs for the public to hear", not about anything you've been telling me about the recorder.

I'll try to save a slurred recording but again, if it doesn't save slurred not sure what else can be done. It's probably my slow SBC internet connection then and I'll just have to listen and not record. Thanks again.CKat

I'll be able to dissect a recording that has problems to determine why / what the problem with the audio is. Also, I'll be able to do further testing using the remixer, if you're interested. Again, PM me if you want to take this further; it could be very helpful.

CKat

Reply by CKatGOLD

Why don't you Resolve all the Issues with the New Recorder/Mixer before you "Phase Out" the Old one.
Compression does not allow for a True High Fidelity Dynamic Range in a Recording. Distortion is actually a Desirable Effect at Times but the Clipping Message Most ANNOYINGLY Pops up even with there isn't Distortion or Overload! daytripzip

Here Here.

Jason

Hi Jason,

Yes, if you could disable the Clipping Detected message from Popping up when the Filter is turned off, that would be most helpful.
It's a Huge Distraction when I'm trying to record to have that pop up.
Thanks!

Rick daytripzip

I'll look at that. The down side is that people might not realize that clipping is happening. I'm sure there's a middle ground I can find. Thanks for the suggestion!

Jason

Edited reply by JasonSTAFF +3 +1

Hi there Jason, I have a Gateway computer with an and intell Pentium operating system, And windows Vista! I have no picture with my Logitech WebCam 93000. I have no sound either. Original recorder works just fine! Hope you can help!dragonfly_jane_1

When you say you have no sound, do you mean you don't hear music? Do you see lyrics? I need more information than this in order to determine the problem. A step by step example of what happens would be best.

Edit: when you click record, do you hear the "chimes"?

Jason

The mouth is never in sinc with the words...I like the old one....Kinda like watching a Kung Foo movie....D-TUNES

Typically, people find that while the video seems out of sync during the "Mixer" stage, it saves just fine.

If this isn't the case, could you do two recordings in a row, one with the Original Recorder and one with the Improved Recorder so I can see the difference?

PM me the links, if you want to do this. Thanks!

dragonfly_jane_1

Hi Jason, I don't hear anything, I'm not sure about my WebCam. It could be a Logitech 9000 not really sure but it works fine with my original recorder! Just does not work with the new improved with the new improved also. I have no sound, no music and no sound! Okay I will go back into it and see if I can give you more information! I'll be right back by conning it says it needs more information.

genomad

Reply by genomadGOLD +2

I don't like using the New recorder because it puts a lot of hissing sound into the recording!

bobbyjay

Reply by bobbyjay

i have a pc with built in mike and speakers----find the new recorder mostly chops off the last few notes of the song---really annoying!---any one else found this?

Jason

I don't like using the New recorder because it puts a lot of hissing sound into the recording!genomad

It actually doesn't record anything different than the old one. If you had MMSB off, you'd see no difference, honestly.

BUT, the MMSB is different. The noise filtering is slightly different, but generally works better.

Can you try turning up the recording level? Enable Clipping Protection, crank the recording level all the way up, yell into the mic until it stops moving down, turn OFF clipping protection and try another recording?

Jason

i have a pc with built in mike and speakers----find the new recorder mostly chops off the last few notes of the song---really annoying!---any one else found this?bobbyjay

New to me.. I'll put it on the list of things to "look at".

Jason

Ha, I didn't intend to make this a thread where I try to fix everyone's problems.. yikes!

I'm more hoping to create a list of problems and see what people have in common, then fix the problems I can fix.

Please keep this in mind and be gentle on me.

duke_dt

Reply by duke_dtPATRON +1

I still use the original recorder,I can get a better sound, but never used the music and voice mixer, and the timing was all messed and not right,so never used it, I always do my own mixing, and I checked out the new recorder, and was disappointed in it, when you sing a song in the correct time, and then go to the new mixer the timing most of the time off, and it should not be like that, apparently you voice recorder and music recorder is out of sync, they are not much help to a person singing out of time,,,and setting the mix on your voice and music, does not define, the mix you are looking for,,,you should be able to hear the change after you adjust the music to your voice, but its just not there,,,well I hope Ive been some help, Ive done a lot of recording in studios, and done mixing with recording engineers, but im not an engineer my self, but I know when something is not right,,,thanks and hope Ive been some help,,,,Duke

Jason

I still use the original recorder,I can get a better sound, but never used the music and voice mixer, and the timing was all messed and not right,so never used it, I always do my own mixing, and I checked out the new recorder, and was disappointed in it, when you sing a song in the correct time, and then go to the new mixer the timing most of the time off, and it should not be like that, apparently you voice recorder and music recorder is out of sync, they are not much help to a person singing out of time,,,and setting the mix on your voice and music, does not define, the mix you are looking for,,,you should be able to hear the change after you adjust the music to your voice, but its just not there,,,well I hope Ive been some help, Ive done a lot of recording in studios, and done mixing with recording engineers, but im not an engineer my self, but I know when something is not right,,,thanks and hope Ive been some help,,,,Dukeduke_dt

Hi Duke,

To let you know, if you record with the Improved Recorder, uncheck "Enable Music" and save it, the result will be exactly the same as the old recorder. Even if the video and music seem out of sync, they'll be better on saving. There is a laundry list of technical reasons for this, but its the best "trade off" we can achieve.

Try it out!

genomad

Reply by genomadGOLD +2

Well,i'd like to try it again,but now it won't load at all.it just keeps saying "loading" but it never does!

Jason

Well,i'd like to try it again,but now it won't load at all.it just keeps saying "loading" but it never does!genomad

Where does it say "loading"?

Are you using the latest version of Flash?

genomad

Reply by genomadGOLD +2

i'm sorry.Preparing recorder,that's what it says.nothing ever comes up!

precious_paws

Reply by precious_pawsGOLD

it stops the videos in the middle of singing i dont like it.

Jason

i'm sorry.Preparing recorder,that's what it says.nothing ever comes up!genomad

Are there buttons there that just say "text" on them?

Jason

it stops the videos in the middle of singing i dont like it.sanford

Can you tell me more information please? Any and all information about your computer, what version of windows, Flash Version, etc?

Thank you.

dragonfly_jane_1

Hi Jason I just have no sound what so ever On the new improved recorderI have windows vesta and intel operating system! Got to leave the House will be back tomorrow~Its a lot of head aches. my e-mail is qsljanie@verizon.net

- Next